New South Wales (Read 11532 times)
Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

New South Wales
Nov 17th, 2008 at 3:22am

State of chaos drags us down

November 14, 2008 12:00am

NICE bridge. Shame about the city. In fact, Sydney is sliding from a joke to a disaster, and it's taking the rest of us with it.

Not since Joan Kirner in Victoria have we seen a state led as catastrophically as is NSW, and Sydney is just the tawdry measure of its astonishing decline.

Correction: NSW Labor makes Kirner's lot look a model of propriety. At least her ministers, numbers men, hacks and faction heavies, were honest - and fully clothed - as they drove Victoria into the ground.

They weren't murdering each other, dancing half-naked in Parliament, molesting boys, sleeping with developers bearing gifts or walking over the bodies of men shot just 90 minutes earlier.

Sure, we in Melbourne may gloat, now that Sydney's refugees will help us to become the country's biggest city by 2054, at least according to the Bureau of Statistics.

But what should wipe the smirk off our faces is the fact that NSW now threatens to drag the whole country into a recession.

So mismanaged has the state been for so long that the new Premier, Nathan Rees, this week confessed his state would run a deficit this financial year of almost $1 billion.

And that's only after his mini-Budget slashed spending by $3.3 billion over the next four years, and hiked taxes by $3.6 billion.

How does this hurt us?

Here's how: our flagging economy so needs extra spending that the Rudd Government has just announced a $10.4 billion cash-for-Christmas stimulus package, hoping to stop us from slumping into recession.

The Federal Government lifts spending to save the country; the NSW Government slashes spending to save itself. And you and I will pay, brother.

Already, federal Treasury Secretary Ken Henry has hinted that the feds may have to spend even more of our money to make up for the cash these NSW clowns have pulled out.

Nor does the damage stop there. NSW, responsible for a third of the national economy, is predicted to grow this financial year by an anaemic 1.25 per cent - well under Treasury's forecast for the national economy of 2 per cent.

NSW is the sick man of Australia, and the only consolation is the rest of us don't have to live there.

We don't have to put up with electricity supplies so precarious that the state is predicted to run out of power in just six years.

We don't (quite) have to live with water supplies so run-down that Rees now admits Sydney last summer came close to "drinking mud".

We don't have to live in a state whose leaders are so frightened of unions that public transport is still run by the Government - at crippling losses.

We don't have to put up with trains so bad that one in four carriages breaks down every month, with the Auditor-General warning that not enough new ones are being bought to meet demand.

We don't have to put up with one public hospital scandal after another, or a Department of Community Services so dysfunctional that 156 children it knew were at risk died last year before its eyes - up from 114 the year before.

We don't have to put up with such clogged roads, such green-inspired land shortages and such expensive housing. We don't have to live in a city of race riots, ethnic enclaves and beaches ruled by surfer gangs.

Oh, excuses are being made, of course. The latest is that the financial crisis came along and suddenly spoiled a perfectly good set of books.

But this is a collapse that was years in the making. Rome wasn't destroyed in a day.

You can trace Sydney's fall back to the decade-long reign of Bob Carr, the Labor premier and media pet who decided the best solution to a city bursting at the seams was simply to shut its doors.

"Sydney is full," this global warming worshipper declared. Heaven forbid it should grow. Just think of all the gases! Those hideous McMansions.

And he went to sleep, along with his ministers. No dams were built. No transport reformed. No electricity system privatised or made efficient.

Indeed, the then minister in charge of the iconic Snowy River scheme even boasted that this great damming of the waters for irrigation and power was exactly the kind of thing the Government would now "not necessarily pursue because we live in a more environmentally conscious age".

Want another symbol of the decline? Not one of the five rail projects Carr promised Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong a decade ago has yet been built. The only one to even be started is already two years behind schedule and millions over budget.

If all this failure had at least been achieved with a Kirner-style ideological purity or a Steve Bracks-style amiability, you might even forgive it. If you were a dope.

But to be delivered such a national tragedy by such a bunch of sleazebags and bunglers is unforgivable. Yes, there are also many decent politicians in this Government, but count the scandals of this past year alone.

We've seen former Aboriginal affairs minister Milton Orkopoulos jailed for sexually assaulting boys and handing out heroin, and his chief of staff, Sergeant Nathan "I know nnnnnothing" Rees, made premier.

We've seen Education Minister John Della Bosca stood down while police checked what threats he and his wife, federal Labor MP Belinda Neal, might have made to staff at a bar who merely asked them to moved tables.

pt1
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2008 at 3:30am by Grendel »  

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: New South Wales
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 3:27am

We've seen the police minister sacked for dancing in just his underpants at a party in his Parliament House office, and allegedly rubbing himself against a female colleague while telling her daughter: "I'm titty-f...ing your mother."

This week we saw the small business minister sacked after an independent inquiry ruled he'd lied when denying he'd verbally abused a woman on his staff, and grabbed her to make sure she stayed for his spray.

We've had the same minister now accused of threatening to attack a senior policeman in Parliament if he didn't stop investigating a close associate. (The allegation is denied.)

And last month the Independent Commission Against Corruption recommended the prosecution of 11 people, four of them former Labor councillors of Wollongong City, after an investigation into a planning officer who had slept with, and taken bribes from, developers needing her help.

You'd think that was enough to fill the slop bucket. Enough already. Tip the stinking lot over the side.

But wait, there's even more.

A judicial inquiry into the murder of Labor MP John Newman this week heard Reba Meagher, another dumped minister, explain how she first became a Labor politician, the NSW way.

She said she was just 26 when she was called into the office of Della Bosca, then the state Labor general secretary, to be offered a seat in the NSW Parliament - as a reward for not standing for the Senate position he wanted for his wife.

Small problem. Both seats were already held by Labor politicians, one of them John Newman.

But, bang. Problem no longer. Not six hours later Newman was shot dead in his driveway, a crime for which a Labor councillor and numbers man, Phuong Ngo has been jailed.

And just 90 minutes later Della Bosca rang Meagher - or so she told the inquiry - again asking if she'd like Newman's Cabramatta seat.

(Della Bosca told the murder trial in 2000 he could not recall meeting Meagher that afternoon and offering her any seat. Nor is anyone suggesting he had any prior knowledge of any threat to Newman's life.)

What is astonishing is that it's only a year since this Government was returned to power. How did the voters come to make such a ghastly mistake?

They are sure repenting it. Labor last month lost a by-election for Ryde after a swing against it of 22.9 per cent. Labor's support in Newspoll has plummeted from 59 per cent at the start of last year to 44 per cent now.

And the media support that propped up Labor for so long has dropped with it. The Sydney Morning Herald this week branded Rees "the demolition man". The rival Daily Telegraph shouted, "Premier, sack yourself . . . and your wretched Government", and was flooded with thousands of emails from readers clamoring for a new election.

But that's the catch . . . and warning. NSW, stupidly, has fixed, four-year terms. This shiftless, shifty gang will be in power for three more years.

This is not just a threat to the economy of NSW. It's a threat to all Australians. And it's a threat to the trust voters put in their democracy to give them a government that truly represents them.

For God's sake, call an election. Even Melbourne cannot afford the rabble that now rules Sydney.

end...  
had to post it...  even interstate journos can see what rubbish we have to put up with in NSW.  Mind you I've been trying to vote 'em out for years.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 3:29am

Hmmmm  OZPOLITICs... might be nice if we had a specific forum for it eh?  Grin

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 6:08am

Yes - there's nothing to disagree with you on this one.  Apart from our expressways being car parks and the M5 being the heaviest polluted tunnel in the world - thanks to cost cutting, they are replacing our double decker trains with single deckers.

This is unbelievable.  These trains are already full to the brim and do they really expect people from Newcastle, Wollongong and the Blue Mountains to stand all the way to the city packed like cattle.  Those on some lines will have to change trains again at Central to get to their destination.

The $9.2 billion worth of d.decker trains have already been ordered and are in the process of being made.  How much will NSW lose by cancelling this order.

Now there is talk of using our rates as a benchmark - and doubling the figure to pay state taxes in lieu of stamp duty and land tax to encourage property investment.  As some councils are broke (gambling) and the cap has been taken off for rate rises and they are set to go higher - this means people, regardless of the stamp duty already paid will have to pay another $2-3000 plus to the state government annually on top of their rates.

But you can't sack a government for being incompetent or slack - they have to be corrupt as a whole and do any of those from NSW really believe O'Farrell will be any better?  He's about as motivated as a snail.

Isn't it about time NSW got their $3-4 billion GST back that they've had forfeited to prop up other states.  NSW needs it now and desperately.  Their actions are sending people insane.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 6:37am

It is about time for states to be abolished. Too many politicians cost too much.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 10:20am

mantra...  yes we should have more GST,,,  thankyou Bob Carr.  You think Kevvie will give it back to us?

Oh and just like Debnam, O'Farrell can't be any worse so yes a change is better.  (Your personality politics really irks me)

Tallow, used to think that but I now think going back to State Governors and a system similar to the US in that regards might be better.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 3:28pm

tallowood wrote on Nov 17th, 2008 at 6:37am:
It is about time for states to be abolished. Too many politicians cost too much.

States have too much individual identity, although theoretically we can do without them. Sweden, with about 10 million people can do without state parliaments. Australia with 20 million could possibly do the same.

Perhaps we can retain the states, but just have a small council for each.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 9:17pm

Bit of a difference in size...   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 1:55pm

Grendel wrote on Dec 19th, 2008 at 3:17am:
Bit of a difference in size...   Roll Eyes

Sweden has quite a large geographical range. If you could pivot it on its southern edge, the northern border would swing as far South as North Africa

Well in terms of size and population, we ca take Canada as another example. They have 33 million people, and they have a similar government system to ours.

We need to have some kind of localised checks and balances, because Tasmania would have different issues to the NT for example. I like the idea of a federation of councils for each State.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 2:15pm

Why not to have a federation of local councils then?

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 2:54pm

IMO
Too unwieldy
I think the 3 levels are necessary but i think we need to change how they work and interact.  Hence my suggestion
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2008 at 3:20pm by Grendel »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 2:57pm

That would be like COAG. Simply getting a bunch of people together won't necessarily achieve anything. They need to have a mandate, otherwise it can only work on consensus, but even that would be hamstrung by lack of resources.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 3:13pm

freediver wrote on Dec 19th, 2008 at 8:57pm:
That would be like COAG. Simply getting a bunch of people together won't necessarily achieve anything. They need to have a mandate, otherwise it can only work on consensus, but even that would be hamstrung by lack of resources.

Why? It can be just like it is now but without state govs in between.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 3:16pm

I suspect what it really comes down to is economies of scale. For example, you would not want to have to ring canberra to get a pothole fixed. There are some things that no doubt work better if administered from a state level. Of course, this will change with technology etc, which I suspect is the real problem.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 3:22pm

freediver wrote on Dec 19th, 2008 at 9:16pm:
I suspect what it really comes down to is economies of scale. For example, you would not want to have to ring canberra to get a pothole fixed. There are some things that no doubt work better if administered from a state level. Of course, this will change with technology etc, which I suspect is the real problem.

Cost me the same to call Canberra or Sydney beside most of local potholes is responsibility of local councils while highways are canberrian even now.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print