Send Topic Print
war and empire (Read 2698 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
war and empire
Nov 11th, 2008 at 2:26pm

This came up in some of the earlier threads. I think Abu pointed out that a caliphate may only engage in war under 'certain conditions' and may only take all property, slaves etc under 'certain conditions'. I don't think we got any further clarification.

What are those conditions?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Re: war and empire
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 10:12am

Most likely the same conditions that almost every other state/empire on earth would have. Self defence, pre-Emptive strike against hostile neighbour etc.

Don't you tire of presenting this facade freediver that Islam is some bizarre strange thing that just completely contradicts the rest of the human experience? Are you not bored of your own propaganda yet?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 11:14am

abu_rashid wrote on Nov 12th, 2008 at 10:12am:
Most likely the same conditions that almost every other state/empire on earth would have. Self defence,
pre-Emptive strike against hostile
neighbour etc.

Don't you tire of presenting this facade freediver that Islam is some bizarre strange thing that just completely contradicts the rest of the human experience? Are you not bored of your own propaganda yet?

Nice. The level playing field has been established. Look out Syria.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 11:17am

Well the US would need to formalise Iraq as the 51st. state before Syria would officially be it's neighbour.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 11:34am

abu_rashid wrote on Nov 12th, 2008 at 11:17am:
Well the US would need to formalise Iraq as the 51st. state before Syria would officially be it's neighbour.

The REAL WORLD concept of neighbour has changed since the days of horseback warfare. Even if you don't count that statement as valid (which I do). Iraq is a protectorate state of the U.S.A. so all systems go really.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 3:08pm

Quote:
Most likely the same conditions that almost every other state/empire on earth would have.

I find that very had to believe, as no currently existing states are in the process of building an expansionist empire. No other nation on earth has the domination and enslavement of the entire world as it's stated goal. Very few are theocracies. If a caliphate differs from other nations so much, why would you expect it to adopt similar standards?

Also, I don't think you touched on the conditions for stealing all the property in a defeated nation, or enslaving it's citizens, or raping all the women. Obviously this standard is nothing like other nations. For example it is a violation of the Geneva convention. Israel is the only example I can think of that even comes close to what Islam would permit, and even it is very restrained in comparison. Not that I'm inviting you to deflect to Israel. It's just the exception that proves the rule. I suppose that is inevitable now, but could you please at least answer the questions about what Islam would permit before going off on a tangent about Israel?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 4:25pm

Quote:
as no currently existing states are in the process of building an expansionist empire

Short of stating it, the USA is doing a pretty good job of achieving it. They've got almost their entirely military tied up in dominating the Islamic lands and acquiring all their natural resources, some of the richest in the world.

I don't think anyone is naive enough to believe that neo-colonialism needs to be about actually building an empire that actually physically rules the nations it dominates. It's more about economic control today as the force that binds an empire together. Except in the case of the Muslim states, where the  USA sometimes has to make extra effort to dominate them.

Quote:
If a caliphate differs from other nations so much, why would you expect it to adopt similar standards?

Things like conditions for declaring war, and even conduct during war are matters that are agreed upon by states. They decide how they'll conduct themselves, and agree amongst themselves what norms and rules they should enact. The Caliphate would be no different, it would be a global player and would be involved in making such rules. Just because it was an expansionist state in the time when that was the norm, doesn't mean it would be in all times.

Quote:
Also, I don't think you touched on the conditions for stealing all the property in a defeated nation

That's because we don't believe in stealing. This is just your ridiculous slander.

Quote:
or enslaving it's citizens

Again nonsense. Show me where this ever happened in the history of Islamic conquests.

Quote:
or raping all the women

Again nonsense. Show me where this ever happened in the history of Islamic conquests.

Quote:
but could you please at least answer the questions about what Islam would permit before going off on a tangent about Israel?

The only tangent I'm going to go off on now is  the one that will bring this discussino full circle and back to where it should rightly be directed.

You constantly accuse Islam of being expanionist.
You constantly accuse Islam of being violent.
You constantly accuse Islam of having an agenda to dominate others.
You constantly accuse Islam of coveting and seeking to 'acquire' the [national?] belongings of others.

Yet none of these things actuallly apply to Islam right now, and some of them, it's debatable if they ever applied at any time.

Yet every single one of them applies to the USA and her allies, in their actions towards the Muslims, rigght now, today, in front of our very eyes, as we debate this.

The USA, has expanded into the Muslim lands, and currently rules two our countries, not to mention wielding excessive influence over many others, specifically those who have abundant natural energy resources.

The USA has committed extreme acts of violence and tyranny against civilian Muslim populations, some of it state-sanctioned, some of it by rogues, but all still the fault of the USA.

The USA quite obviously has an agenda in dominating the Islamic lands, and has used every means possible, bypassing it's own international laws, risking it's own international reputation, losing even the support of it's own people, just to ensure it's dominance of the region.

The USA is quite clearly there for the energy resources, which are becomming increasingly scarce. As Lawrence Corb said when the USA made their first incursion into the Middle East "If Kuwait grew carrots, we wouldn't give a damn". And for a very long time after seizing the oil fields of Iraq, the oil was being pumped out without a functioning gauge.... The Baghdad museum was completely ransacked during and after the war, hundreds of thousands of ancient artifacts from the civilisations that littered the 'cradle of civilisation' that Iraq once was are all gone, no doubt into the collections of private owners in the USA and Europe.

Freediver, you've really got some hide asking all these questions about the intentions and supposedly plans of Islam, when it's quite clear the ideology that you support is doing far worse, right here and right now to the Muslims. You're nothing but a hypocrite who really has to look into the mirror, and really shouldn't be throwing stones at the Muslims, lest your own glass house is shattered.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 4:42pm

Quote:
I don't think anyone is naive enough to believe that neo-colonialism needs to be about actually building an empire that actually physically rules the nations it dominates. It's more about economic control today as the force that binds an empire together. Except in the case of the Muslim states, where the  USA sometimes has to make extra effort to dominate them.

So you think this is the same as the Islamic model? That's odd. I thought it was all about taking the land, the stock, the women, the girls etc.

Quote:
They decide how they'll conduct themselves, and agree amongst themselves what norms and rules they should enact. The Caliphate would be no different, it would be a global player and would be involved in making such rules.

Yes of course I realise that a state is inevitably free to play by it's own rules. What I'm asking is, what are those rules for Islam? All you've established is that they would throw out conventional models like the Geneva convention. How about in stead of trying to justify a caliphate rejecting those rules, you answer the questions about the rules the caliphate would replace them with? Or is your argument nothing more than 'trust us'?

Quote:
Just because it was an expansionist state in the time when that was the norm, doesn't mean it would be in all times.

Like when it was in decline? Is this another reference to being nice when in a position of weakness?

Quote:
That's because we don't believe in stealing. This is just your ridiculous slander.

Sorry, what is the correct word for taking every single posession, including the land?

Quote:

You said slavery was permissible.

Quote:

Are you saying that if they are a concubine, it isn't rape, because Muslims are allowed to have sex with concubines?

Quote:
Yet none of these things actuallly apply to Islam right now

Only because it is in a weak position. I'm pretty sure it is part of Islamic doctrine to take different approach when they are weak and then change everything as soon as they get the upper hand.

Quote:
Yet every single one of them applies to the USA and her allies, in their actions towards the Muslims, rigght now, today, in front of our very eyes, as we debate this.

What, like taking all the land and forcing the people off it so they can settle? Like taking the women and girls home as sex slaves? It seems to me that the US is at the opposite extreme. They are trying to give the residents more control over their own destiny than they had when they entered.

Quote:
The USA has committed extreme acts of violence and tyranny against civilian Muslim populations, some of it state-sanctioned, some of it by rogues, but all still the fault of the USA.

So establishing democracy is a form of tyranny? But enslavement and rape is liberation?

Quote:
Freediver, you've really got some hide asking all these questions about the intentions and supposedly plans of Islam when it's quite clear the ideology that you support is doing far worse

How is that clear? It doesn't seem very clear to me. If it was clear, you would be able to give a straight answer to my questions, rather than yet again deflecting to the 'evil west'.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print