Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Aboo and Rupert wrong and ignorant... (Read 6046 times)
Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Aboo and Rupert wrong and ignorant...
Nov 3rd, 2008 at 6:21pm

I guess Rupert's latest outburst stuck in my craw because not so long ago Aboo was making similar disparaging remarks about his fellow Australians.  

So here's some facts.

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:GxE9pi8mbB4J:www.8hourday.org.au/pdf/888_fact_03_work_rest_play.pdf+44+hour+weeks+australians+work&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=au

Quote:
Australia, once recognised as the ‘working man’s paradise’
for its Eight Hour Day achievement, now has among the
highest working hours in the developed world

Quote:
Australians 'working longest hours'

* October 29, 2008

Australians work some of the longest working hours in the developed world, a study has found.

About one in five Australians, or two million people, work more than 50 hours a week, the University of Sydney study shows.

The study tracked 8000 workers over five years, through to the first half of the year.

Full-time employees work an average of 44 hours per week and about one in three people want to work less.

Despite the long hours, about 85% of workers have debts to pay, the report said.

Employment standards have also deteriorated, and many workers are worried about job insecurity and work-life balance.

One in three workers hold a job that does not give them the full protection of Australian labour law, the report said.

Head of the study Dr Brigid van Wanrooy said full-time and casual employees are under pressure in the workplace.

"It is not a simple case of casual employment is `bad' and permanent employment is `good'," Dr van Wanrooy said in a statement.

"Casual employees face job insecurity but many permanent employees work very long hours.

"All workers face trade-offs between control over working hours, security of employment and quality of work."

AAP

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Aboo and Rupert wrong and ignorant...
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 6:27pm

How are they wrong?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 7:10pm

How are they right?

I believe Aboo used the word lazy (amongst others) to describe Australians  work ethic or lack thereof and Rupert used the word bludger and said; "While a safety net is warranted for those in genuine need, we must avoid institutionalising idleness. The bludger should not be our national icon."  Which is factually bereft of reality and based on a long since dead stereotype.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/on-bludging-a-republic-and-the-public-education-scandal/2008/11/02/1225560637998.html

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 7:15pm

Muslims pray 5 times a day. I think the first one is before sunrise. So Abu would be measuring by a different standard.

As for Murdoch's comment, the stereotype is certainly not dead. I'm not sure if the reality is either. There are a lot of government handouts going to people who do not need them.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 7:58pm

good grief...  Aboo was talking about infidel Australians fd.
Rupert was basing his ideas on a dead stereotype.
Australians are amongst the hardest workers in the world...  been that way for many years now.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 8:09pm

good grief...  Aboo was talking about infidel Australians fd.

Lazy is inevitably a relative reference, not an absolute one. Hence he would have been comparing us to some other group.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 8:56pm

what are you on?
about?

IP Logged

Gaybriel
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 8:56pm

Grendel wrote on Nov 3rd, 2008 at 7:58pm:
Australians are amongst the hardest workers in the world...  been that way for many years now.

I dunno man- what about countries like korea and japan? their work ethic, hours etc far exceed ours. I'd put many countries before our own.

personally I'd rather be a country that has struck a good balance between work and leisure, which I think Australia has. although I think it's losing that balance a bit towards the side of work.

our lives shouldn't be our jobs.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 9:04pm

I'm saying that to someone who works a lot harder than us, we will appear lazy. To someone who works less, we will appear hardworking. Hence Abu's perception of us as lazy is probably justified, if he gets up every morning before sunrise just to pray.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 9:24pm

good grief... 

for many years now it has been pointed out in various studies that Australians....  are hardworking.  Despite the old "lazy" stereotype.  Which Aboo pointed out in an attempt to disdain his fe;;ow australians.

How many quotes do you guys want...

Quote:
Australia...   now has among the
highest working hours in the developed world

Quote:
Australians work some of the longest working hours in the developed world, a study has found.

I hardly think Muslims or other people such as 3rd worlders are harder working...  I say this due to experience with many people over many years.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 9:27pm

Most 3rd worlders would be harder working, especially in places like India. that's why your 'stats' are always limited to 'the developed world'.

Most Muslims get up before dawn to pray. That gives them a pretty big head start over most Australians.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 9:28pm

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 11:02pm

Sometimes you are a complete idiot fd...

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #13 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 7:10am

Just because someone gets up before dawn doesn't mean they work hard.  Lots of people do - many Australians have to just to fight the traffic to get to work.  How do you know Muslims don't go back to bed after they've prayed? 

Muslims also have 2 or 3 breaks during a working day for prayers - non muslims don't.  Many Australian non muslim workers work straight through the day and many of them are now working 2 or 3 jobs just to get by because they don't have the enormous families that Muslims propagate - which means many Muslim males don't have to work because they're getting massive family payments, baby bonuses etc. 

I brought this point up before on this site about how hard working Australians are.  Murdoch has an agenda.  Why is he supporting Rudd and on the other hand denigrating Obama?

Murdoch is a very powerful old man and can't be trusted.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #14 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 8:57am

Mantra,

Quote:
many Australians have to just to fight the traffic to get to work

Do you think Muslims have some special anti-traffic powers? Smiley

Quote:
How do you know Muslims don't go back to bed after they've prayed?

This is a valid point. In summer I do sometimes go back to bed, because sunrise is so early. But for the rest of the year, there's no point. If you're up at 6:00 to pray and have to leave home by about 8:00, how much extra sleep are you going to get?

Quote:
Muslims also have 2 or 3 breaks during a working day for prayers - non muslims don't.

Twice at most, usually once. Also praying takes less than 5 minutes, and I don't know about others, but I always have done it during my lunch break.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print