Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
cleric is the correct term - get over it (Read 9323 times)
abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Re: cleric is the correct term - get over it
Reply #15 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 4:43pm

freediver,

Quote:
Yes there is. You even conceded this with you list of various acceptable terms for different types of leaders.

I never made a list anywhere. Perhaps you're confusing my posts with Grendel's?

Quote:
That's not what Muslim cleric refers to. It trefers to the leader, not the fixed post.

So why not just say leader then?

Quote:
I am trying to say that they have leaders, and that it is stupid to refuse to answer questions about those leaders over a purely semantic issue

You asked a question about a Shi'a Ayatollah I think. As I've told you enough times, I'm not Shi'a and don't follow their beliefs. If you wanna take it up, take it up with Malik, as I directed you to from the outset in the other thread.

Even if a mainstream theologian (or leader, as you like) had've given the ruling, the question is still pointless, as his position is as a man of knowledge, not a priest or anchorite of the faith, and therefore asking me about his opinion is irrelevant.

This is the whole point. You want a clergy, someone you can pin some bad saying on, and then say "look he's the administrator of your faith, condemn him". Since we don't have any such clergy you failed miserably, and now you're not happy, because you were under the delusion such a post existed that you could use to attack Muslims with.

Your whole intention from the outset is sour and acidic. And really don't expect to just walk in and get the answer from me you want, when you come with such an attitude, because you won't.

Quote:
People will come up with an agreed upon word to refer to something that would otherwise need a few words to communicate.

'leader' is just one word. Why couldn't you have used that? But even then, whose leader? You're going to keep running into the same problem because Islam is not structured like you think it is. There's no clergy, no bishops who come under popes and so forth, no ministers or deacons or any of the other hierarchy that you expect and think you can argue against Muslims on. There are just 'people of (differing degress of) knowledge'.

Quote:
We will use a single word. If the Muslim community does not supply the approriate word so they can decieve us more easily, we will choose one of our own.

why speak about it in future tense, as if to suggest I can somehow still change that, if only I answer freediver's questions as he'd like me to???

The terminology was already devised, long before you ever popped a neuron thinking about it.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #16 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 4:56pm

locutius,

Quote:
So there is no hierachy? Didn't you say recently something about following your Iman blindly? What is an Iman?

I think the term you mean is Imam, meaning purely leader, of any kind.

There is no clerical hierarchy. There is only a state and judicial hierarchy.

Quote:
If we would like to use the correct term, help us out.

The whole point is, correct term for what? freediver appears to want to describe a structure inside Islam that simply doesn't exist. There's no concept of clergy whatsoever in Islam, in fact clergy is mentioned and criticised as being a bad thing, and one of the things that led previous communities (ie. the Jews and Christians) astray.

Quote:
Can you provide a hierachical picture of the faith organisation. Please.

As a faith, there is none whatsoever. As a state, there is a head of state (Caliph), ministers (wazirs), judges (qadis) etc. but no religious clerical hierarchy whatsoever.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #17 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 4:56pm

So why not just say leader then?

Because that would include people like Saddam Hussein.

Even if a mainstream theologian (or leader, as you like) had've given the ruling, the question is still pointless, as his position is as a man of knowledge, not a priest or anchorite of the faith, and therefore asking me about his opinion is irrelevant.

Actually the question was about Cat Stevens.

You want a clergy, someone you can pin some bad saying on, and then say "look he's the administrator of your faith, condemn him".

I am just as happy to blame the broader Muslim community for their shortcomings. Where there is no heirachy capable of reigning them in, it becomes more important for individuals to stand up to crackpot leaders. In fact that is what I have been arguing. I have not been looking for a leader to blame it on. Have another look at the 'responsibility for extremists thread if you don't believe me.

And really don't expect to just walk in and get the answer from me you want, when you come with such an attitude, because you won't.

I consider it in my own interest to give a straight answer, even to people who doubt me. Especially to people who doubt me.

'leader' is just one word. Why couldn't you have used that?

See above.

But even then, whose leader? You're going to keep running into the same problem because Islam is not structured like you think it is. There's no clergy, no bishops who come under popes and so forth, no ministers or deacons or any of the other hierarchy that you expect and think you can argue against Muslims on. There are just 'people of (differing degress of) knowledge'.

It seems that almost no religion is structured how I think it is, or rather, how you think I think it is. I prefer to ask people what they think rather than making assumptions about it. but then, I also come from an assumption that I will get a straight answer.

why speak about it in future tense

Because it is a relatively new issue.

as if to suggest I can somehow still change that

Of course you can. You can start right here on this forum. But not by refusing to answer until people figure out what the correct term is. If the correct term is that important to you, tell people what it is, rather than using it as yet another excuse to divert.

if only I answer freediver's questions as he'd like me to?

Any response that actually answers the question would be a great start.

The terminology was already devised, long before you ever popped a neuron thinking about it.

Wrong. The English language constantly changes. There is no-one pulling the strings. It's a bit like Islam really, so I'm sure you'll understand.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 4:58pm

The whole point is, correct term for what? freediver appears to want to describe a structure inside Islam that simply doesn't exist.

How many times do I have to repeat myself Abu? That is not what I am describing. Just because you can't give a straight answer about what you think doesn't mean no-one else can.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #19 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 7:10pm

Quote:
Because that would include people like Saddam Hussein.

Saddam Hussein was an Arab-Nationalist/Baathist leader, nothing to do with Muslims at all.

Quote:
Actually the question was about Cat Stevens.

Actually your original claim was that he had accepted the opinion of a 'cleric'.

Quote:
I am just as happy to blame the broader Muslim community for their shortcomings

We've noticed. Yeh if you're happy doing that, so be it.

Quote:
Where there is no heirachy capable of reigning them in, it becomes more important for individuals to stand up to crackpot leaders

The Islamic leadership structure was abolished about 80 years ago, you know that already.

The 'extremists' are a result of that lack of leadership, as there's no state in place to resist the occupation of the Muslim lands, and so militia/guerilla groups have been formed to resist it.

That is the link between these two issues.

Quote:
I consider it in my own interest to give a straight answer, even to people who doubt me. Especially to people who doubt me.

So do I, when it's someone who would actually believe that 'straight' answer. Since you've indicated several times you think all Muslims habitually lie when questioned about Islam, I'm not inclined to answer anything 'straight' for you.

Quote:
But not by refusing to answer until people figure out what the correct term is.

Are you just completely ignoring everything said so far??? there is no correct term, because there's no such structure.

Come on I know Grendel just posts the same regurgitated arguments over and over without even reading the opposing posts, but I at least thought you had some semblance of decency in discussion freediver.

Quote:
If the correct term is that important to you, tell people what it is, rather than using it as yet another excuse to divert

If there was a correct term, I don't see what you think I'd gain by withholding it, you're just being ridiculous really. I'm withholding terminology from you, to prevent you from attacking Islam?? You do quite fine without and perceived lack of terminology. One last time, there's no term for something that doesn't exist.

Quote:
Any response that actually answers the question would be a great start.

There is no response, because the question is about a non-existent entity.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #20 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 11:22am

Saddam Hussein was an Arab-Nationalist/Baathist leader, nothing to do with Muslims at all.

I'm sure you get the picture anyway Abu. Most westerners would have no idea whether he was a Muslim, but he ccertainly was a leader of a Muslim country.

We've noticed. Yeh if you're happy doing that, so be it.

But I would still like to know why they seem to get behind such nutcase clerics.

The Islamic leadership structure was abolished about 80 years ago, you know that already.

The 'extremists' are a result of that lack of leadership, as there's no state in place to resist the occupation of the Muslim lands, and so militia/guerilla groups have been formed to resist it.

That doesn't change my point. Muslims cannot claim that because they don't live in a perfect Islamic state they have no obligation to reign in nutcase clerics. Alternatively, if they do argue that, then they accept by default western leaders imposing their way so that they can reign them in.

So do I, when it's someone who would actually believe that 'straight' answer.

What BS. It is still in my interest to give a straight answer even if the person isn't going to believe me. Deciding that someone is going to think you are lying, and using that to justify a lie or decieving them, justifies that perception, both in the person you are addressing and in everyone else. You create a self fulfilling prophecy. You lie to people because you predict they will think you are lying. It's absurd.

Are you just completely ignoring everything said so far??? there is no correct term, because there's no such structure.

What utter crap. Of course there is a correct term. There has to be a word for it. If there isn't, you make one up. You can't make the problem go away by pretending there is no word for it.

If there was a correct term, I don't see what you think I'd gain by withholding it,

I don't see it either. But you still play these stupid games with people.

I'm withholding terminology from you, to prevent you from attacking Islam?

Now you're pretending there is no word to describe something. That is just as rediculous and paints just as bad a picture for yourself and your ideology.

One last time, there's no term for something that doesn't exist.

Leaders do exist Abu. Even if there is no perfect Islamic state.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #21 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 11:39am

Quote:
That doesn't change my point. Muslims cannot claim that because they don't live in a perfect Islamic state they have no obligation to reign in nutcase clerics

That's not the point at all. The point is that the leadership structure in Islam is based on political, not religious authority. The Islamic political leadership doesn't exist at present. Those people who've assumed makeshift leadership roles and formed militias to resist foreign occupations have all different kinds of structures, which I'd have no idea about. But you are suggesting there is some kind of standardised Islamic leadership structure in place now, when there clearly isn't. Just admit you made a mistake with the cleric nonsense, and are now trying to just fit your argument onto any kind of leadership  structure you can perceive as existing in the Muslim world.

Quote:
Alternatively, if they do argue that, then they accept by default western leaders imposing their way so that they can reign them in.

And you, by extension, accept them resisting that 'reining in'.

We can go round and round in circles like that forever freediver but it doesn't solve any of the issues that exist between Muslims and non-Muslims.

Quote:
Deciding that someone is going to think you are lying, and using that to justify a lie or decieving them

I haven't lied or deceived you, so honestly I'm getting sick of the slanderous accusations. For that reason I'm disinterested in giving your questions the time of day. When you begin just calling someone (or even an entire religion of people) a liar(s) for no reason other than to try and solidify your arguments, you'll soon find they won't be engaging you in friendly discussions.

Quote:
]What utter crap. Of course there is a correct term. There has to be a word for it. If there isn't, you make one up.

Ok, let's stop going around in circles, how about you tell me  which person you're referring to and I'll tell you what 'titles' that person has (if I know them) and then you can refer to them by those titles if that helps you in some warped way...

Quote:
Now you're pretending there is no word to describe something. That is just as rediculous and paints just as bad a picture for yourself and your ideology.

Ok, let me put this in another way for you. Can you tell me what the word is for atheist leaders? I'd like to call them atheist clerics, but I feel it's not quite befitting, what would be the correct term for an atheist leader?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #22 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 11:41am

F/D - it unbeleviable.
2 pages to get a name for a cleric, still none offered.
What a mod, what a shining example for muslims the world over.

what utter nonsense.
No wonder islam is imploding. they don't even know what to call each other !!!

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #23 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 11:53am

But you are suggesting there is some kind of standardised Islamic leadership structure

OK I guess I do need to say it again. No I'm not Abu.

And you, by extension, accept them resisting that 'reining in'.

So basically, Muslims are under no responsibility to reign in nutcase clerics, even if they commit or command terrorist attacks against foreign superpowers, and there is nothing wrong with them preventing that foreign superpower from reigning in the terrorists?

Maybe my logic is a little screwed up here, but doesn't that mean that Muslims do in fact support terrorists? That is, they will say "Oh no that is wrong", but when it comes to their actual actions, they will not stop the terrorists, they will defend them?

I haven't lied or deceived you, so honestly I'm getting sick of the slanderous accusations.

You told me there is no such thing as a Muslim leader.

Ok, let's stop going around in circles, how about you tell me  which person you're referring to and I'll tell you what 'titles' that person has (if I know them) and then you can refer to them by those titles if that helps you in some warped way...

I am talking about Muslim religious leaders. They are called clerics. You are welcome to suggest a more appropriate term, but don't try to give us that BS about them not existing.

Ok, let me put this in another way for you. Can you tell me what the word is for atheist leaders?

No idea. I'm sure that as soon as there is a need to talk about them, a word will appear, almost like magic. Maybe president would be suitable, given that it would most likely be some kind of club.

I'd like to call them atheist clerics, but I feel it's not quite befitting, what would be the correct term for an atheist leader?

Fine by me.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #24 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 12:22pm

I'ld call mozzaok an athiest cleric.

Sounds quite fitting really, nice, official.

It's obvious what it means.

unlike muslimdom that hides under 15 layers of intentions/meanings and interperetations.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 12:54pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Oct 30th, 2008 at 12:22pm:
I'ld call mozzaok an athiest cleric.

Sounds quite fitting really, nice, official.

It's obvious what it means.

What does it mean?

Does he wear a robe and a silly hat?
Does he speak ex-cathedra?
Does he walk in the way of the Lord Dawkins?

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 12:58pm

And I reckon he could carry a walking cane too !!

maybe a wand.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #27 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 1:00pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Oct 30th, 2008 at 12:58pm:
And I reckon he could carry a walking cane too !!

maybe a wand.

And ride on a broom or upon the back of a mythical winged beast?

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print