Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Indonesian muslim cleric married 12-year-old. (Read 13164 times)
Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Re: Indonesian muslim cleric married 12-year-old.
Reply #30 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 11:15pm

Is that OK abu?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #31 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 8:19am

Yes, it's permitted to draw up a marriage contract before children reach a marriageable age. I don't see what you find so wrong with it?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #32 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 8:29am

Lack of freedom. But that's Islam all over. We find it wrong, you don't.

"We should always say that I may refrain from publishing a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed, but it's because I fear you. Don't for one moment think it's because I respect you." Richard Dawkins

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #33 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 10:04am

No surprises here, Abu too gutless to voice a personal opinion, but no surprise there either, cults strip away your personality until you have no personal opinions left, just the ability to spout party line propaganda. Sad. Cry

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #34 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 10:18am

Yeh I'm just a mindless drone spewing out the ideas I've been inculcated with by the mass media and my society... Excuse me.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #35 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 10:23am

We have the option of forming opinions regarding what the media tells us, what our society tells us. Do you have the same freedom of choosing what you'd like to believe when it comes to Islam? Or must you believe what you are told to by the Islamic texts?

"We should always say that I may refrain from publishing a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed, but it's because I fear you. Don't for one moment think it's because I respect you." Richard Dawkins

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #36 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 10:29am

Quote:
Yes, it's permitted to draw up a marriage contract before children reach a marriageable age. I don't see what you find so wrong with it?

I don't know if you read the article abu, but the muslim cleric was actually going to marry a five and a seven year old.
Now that's odd!

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #37 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 10:42am

Amadd,

It's most likely just a writing of a contract and a little celebration, they wouldn't be moving in together, he wouldn't be leaving primary school to get a job...

It's like a betrothal, so when they reach puberty, or are able to move in together (by being financially independant), ie. when they've grown up, then they'd assume their married life. It's merely the formalities taking place now. That's what is permitted by Islam anyway.

You're just duped by the sensationalist headlines.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #38 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 10:48am

If you cannot recognise the unfairness of not being allowed to grow up, and choose your own life partner, then your religion teaches you nothing, and your lack of moral fortitude on this issue displays your lack of respect for humanity.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #39 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 10:57am

So what's your personal opinion of the incident Abu? Do you think it is wrong, given the modern context? Or even in absolute terms? Do you think that by allowing this sort of absurdity Islam makes it inevitable?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #40 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 12:07pm

As I've expressed before, we don't believe in the infatuation concept of love that is prevalent in the West. We believe love is something that grows with a relationship.

So them being paired up now, or when they're 13 or when they're 18 is irrelevant Islamically. I have heard it mentioned though that when they reach puberty, before actually pursuing the married life, they are permitted Islamically to annul the contract, because they weren't adults when it was made for them. I have not verified this though.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #41 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 12:15pm

As I've expressed before, we don't believe in the infatuation concept of love that is prevalent in the West.

You've said that before? I can't believe I didn't notice that. I think I'll start a enw thread about it.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #42 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 12:26pm

Quote:
we don't believe in the infatuation concept of love that is prevalent in the West. We believe love is something that grows with a relationship.

I don't believe in that concept of love either. The love I felt for my wife was not infatuation, and it certainly grew and changed over the years we were together. Islam does not have the monopoly on that sort of love in a relationship.

IP Logged

merou

Less Tolerance, More Shooting

Pilbara WA
Reply #43 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 12:41pm

abu_rashid wrote on Nov 2nd, 2008 at 10:42am:
It's most likely just a writing of a contract and a little celebration, they wouldn't be moving in together, he wouldn't be leaving primary school to get a job...

You're just duped by the sensationalist headlines.

LOL...Although I dont agree with this situation, it is vastly different from the original topic. Arranged marriages have been around for centuries. As Abu has pointed out, they can be anulled.

The original topic, a mid-life adult marrying a child and eyeing off a 5 and 7 yo for future marriage.....that, I believe, is nothing short of paedophilia I dont care how anyone tries to justify it.

Shoot the scum and let God sort em out.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #44 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 1:29pm

freediver,

Quote:
You've said that before? I can't believe I didn't notice that

The sad thing is, I said it in response to you freediver, this is just vindication that you don't actually read anything I post, you're too busy just trying to think of new questions to ask about Islam, that you can denigrate it with...

(posts #25 and #28 of this very same thread we're in now)

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print