Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
the military-polygamy-concubine complex (Read 2390 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
the military-polygamy-concubine complex
Oct 22nd, 2008 at 2:33pm

To what extent did the treatment of women under Islam help to prop up the war machine of past caliphs?

If men are allowed to marry up to four women, this would likely lead to an unusually high number of single men with little chance of ever being married. Some people credit this with the high incidence of extremism among some modern Muslims. Modern Muslims claim that these men are simply 'unsuitable marriage material', though they would obviously serve other purposes. However, under a functioning caliphate at war, obtaining concubines through conquest would help to relieve this shortfall, both by killing off some of the men and bringing in sex slaves. Did the policies of polygamy and concubines help to raise armies of eager young men and increase the clamour for war?

Islam also limited people's options for obtaining 'regular' slaves to war. Did this add another economic incentive for war?

Does the structure of an Islamic society make it function far better while it expands through war than while it contracts or remains stagnant?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Phillip

Australian Politics

Re: the military-polygamy-concubine complex
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 5:50pm

a few things to keep in mind

1. you assume that this was done when men and women were in the same ratios that exist today (aka 1:1) While in fact polygamy was allowed when women outnumbered men badly and in a pre-industrial society this was the only way to be able to support those women.(thats why if your gona marry more than one woman your advised to marry a widow)

2.Polygamy was actually made illegal by the Ottomans during periods of peace for the reason that men and women were in equal numbers and that if they allowed it single men would get jealous.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 5:59pm

Quote:
you assume that this was done when men and women were in the same ratios that exist today

Actually no I incorporated that into the theory, in that war helps balance it out.

Quote:
Polygamy was actually made illegal by the Ottomans during periods of peace for the reason that men and women were in equal numbers and that if they allowed it single men would get jealous.

Good for them. I think it was Abu, or maybe malik, who said that so many men today are not deserving of a wife, so it is OK to marry a few if you are deserving.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 6:06pm

Phillip wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 5:50pm:
While in fact polygamy was allowed when women outnumbered men badly .

because of all the wars of conquest and feuding .

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print