Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print
concubines (Read 33929 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: concubines
Reply #15 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 5:07pm

I dont know what jews should do. I am not a jew.

The OT is a complete book by itself.
The NT is a complete book by itself

(I am certain I have said this before)

Jesus was after the OT. I'ld imagine it was Daddy.

That's a pretty confusing quote.
Does it mean the woman slave is to be bought back by dad if the slaveowner is unsatisfied ??
A moneyback warranty ?
If the slaveowner buys her for his son, the slaveowner givers her the rights of his own daughter ??

Seems pretty unjust if the slave woman is not to be freed, while the manslave is ?
What do you think ?

Perhaps the slavewoman had no way of supporting herself if let free?
Whereas a manslave would ?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 10:43pm

I went through the original discussion of sex slaves where Abu and Lestat tried to deflect the issue. I noted all the examples of deflection. Even I was surprised by how long the list turned out to be:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/wiki/index.php?title=Deception_of_Non-Muslims#The_concu...

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 10:54pm

goodness me you are thorough.

Smiley

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 7:35pm

bump.

F/Ds link is very good.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 7:56pm

Too many concubines and adieu internet forums unless propaganda duties can be entrusted to them as well.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #20 - Nov 16th, 2008 at 7:44pm

Abu why did you edit my post here and claim that Islam does not permit sex slaves?

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1226815626

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #21 - Nov 16th, 2008 at 9:06pm

Because there's absolutely no concept of "sex slaves" in Islam. This your biased imposition from what you think Islam permits. It has nothing to do with the reality of what Islam does or doesn't permit.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - Nov 16th, 2008 at 10:06pm

What's the difference between a concubine and a sex slave?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #23 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 5:09am

A sex slave is someone who is captured specifically for having sex with, in any form you like.

A concubine is a maidservant. Like a wife, but not free, everything else is the same. Your obligations to her are exactly the same. She is not a sex slave.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #24 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 5:12am

con⋅cu⋅bine   /ˈkɒŋkyəˌbaɪn, ˈkɒn-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation  [kong-kyuh-bahyn, kon-] Show IPA Pronunciation  

–noun
1. a woman who cohabits with a man to whom she is not legally married, esp. one regarded as socially or sexually subservient; mistress.
2. (among polygamous peoples) a secondary wife, usually of inferior rank.
3. (esp. formerly in Muslim societies) a woman residing in a harem and kept, as by a sultan, for sexual purposes.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #25 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 8:34am

So she is a slave you can have sex with, but not a sex slave?

Would you mind removing the edit to my post?

It's a bit ironic that you will get offended by the use of the term sex slave instead of concubine, but will happily claim Christianity to be polytheistic, then quote Christian sources that say there is one God, then say you are defering to them on whether Christianity is polytheistic.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2008 at 8:56am by freediver »  

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #26 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 9:28am

Quote:
So she is a slave you can have sex with, but not a sex slave?

That's right, like a knife you can peel potatoes with isn't a potato peeler.

A slave is a slave, that's a different issue, and as several Muslims here have now mentioned to you, slavery was abolished under the last Caliphate anyway. The fact you *can* have, theoretically, marital relations with a slave doesn't mean she's a sex slave, which is someone caputred specifically to have sex with, however the master sees fit.

Quote:
Would you mind removing the edit to my post?

Yes I would mind. The term is incorrect, and implies something that Islam simply does not permit. What you envisage as "sex slave" is nothing to do with the Islamic concept of "Ma malakat aymanakum" being legal to you.

Quote:
It's a bit ironic that you will get offended by the use of the term sex slave instead of concubine

Even the term concubine is not really accurate, but probably the best English term. There is no noun used in the Qur'an to refer to concubines, instead maidservants are merely mentioned as those it's permissible to have marital relations with, through the use of the phrase "Ma malakat aymanakum" (What your right  [hand] possesses).

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Rintrah

Sydney
Reply #27 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 12:22pm

Quote:
Jesus was after the OT. I'ld imagine it was Daddy.

Many Christians say that Christ existed throughout, because to say otherwise would be to attribute change to God.

Most Christian scholars until late in the last millenium saw slavery as completely permissable, though this later on evolved to 'only from war or to prevent them from becoming pagans', this included the more 'liberal' theologians like Las Casas. Mendietta is another important example. Another pertinent example is the sermons of Padre Antonio Vieira, who spoke of the 'two slaveries' in an attempt to justify, biblically, treating your slaves decently. This was a hugely controversial sermon mind you.

Considering that Islam says you should dress your slaves as yourself and provided the framework for the eventual abolition of slavery (through incentives to free slaves and limiting the means of acquisition). On the other hand, Christianity in its historical practice did not speak out against slavery, rather saying that the slave should submit to its master. There was no benefit in freeing slaves, it was not a requirment on the breaking of promises or fasts. There was no framework set up to destroy the institution of slavery, it had to be created by going against established Christian traditions.

I am not equipped for a theological debate on this as I only know of its manifestation historically, but I just thought I would post a pertinant verse from the NT, where Paul says that slaves should follow their masters as though they were following Christ:
Quote:
Ephesians 6:5-9: "Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ; Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart; With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men: Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free. And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him."

In regards to 'concubines' it goes without saying that to descibe such women as 'sex slaves' would imply that consent was not acheived. In other words that such women were raped. I do not have an answer from a Sheikh on this question (as it is not relevant in a world ostensibly without Halal slaves). But it goes without saying that any sexual act must be consentual, and therefore any characterisation of women as sex slaves will be both inflammatory and false.

Sticks and stones build the homes, only God's words can stop the wolves.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #28 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 12:35pm

lol

More muddying of the waters...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #29 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 3:12pm

Quote:
That's right, like a knife you can peel potatoes with isn't a potato peeler.

OK Abu I edited my post so that it is more in line with your 'reasoning'. I find you find this acceptable:

freediver wrote on Nov 16th, 2008 at 4:07pm:
Abu has used the term 'realistic' to describe Islam, usually in reference to why it ignores, or at least does not focus on things like forgiveness or turning the other cheek, or why it allows certain behaviours like slaves that you can have sex with*. However, such an approach would make religion and law, both divine and secular, pointless. No law is realistic in the sense that everyone obeys it, or in the sense that everyone who breaks it gets punished. Setting such a standard would lead to anarchy. Religious law especially, or morals, are supposed to set the higher ground, not the lower ground, otherwise they become an excuse for evil rather than a call to the divine. I find it hard to understand why a religion that successfully requires it's adherents to pray five times a day and follow many other rituals would consider other moral standards as unrealistic.

I suspect that rather than being unrealistic, concepts such as turning the other cheek were largely left out of Islam because they represent a moral that is extremely difficult to translate into law. Islam does seem to have the same moral standards, as I have seen similar concepts expressed here. (I'm referring to Christianity when I say the 'same' as I don't know to what extent these moral exist in other religions.) It's just that they tend to take a lower priority because they were expressed as morals rather than laws. That is, the law allows the behaviour, but the moral discourages it to some extent. See the debate on replacing morals with rules for more on that aspect: http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1225960213

The only acceptable way to apply a standard of 'realistic' to law would be to base it not on whether a law would be obeyed, but on whether the enforcement of the law would do more harm than good. This concept is what is at the heart of the current debates over prostitution, drug law, no-fault divorce etc in western countries. Aiming for the high moral ground cannot do harm, even if you do not reach it. It is attempting to maintain the higher moral ground that does all the good.

* Note that saying Islam allows slaves that you can have sex with is not meant to imply that it allows sex slaves, which it clearly does not, and to say it does would obviously be slander.

Quote:
The fact you *can* have, theoretically, marital relations with a slave

You mean sex, outside of marriage?

Quote:
doesn't mean she's a sex slave

Right, she's a slave that you can have sex with. What's the difference again?

Quote:
which is someone caputred specifically to have sex with

I see. So having sex with your slave is like an accident? You are not allowed to get a slave with the intention of having sex with them? It isn't allowed to affect your decisions in any way? If you capture a slave to pick cotton, then disover she is actually really hot so you move her to the bedroom, then she is not a slave?

Quote:
What you envisage as "sex slave" is nothing to do with the Islamic concept of "Ma malakat aymanakum" being legal to you.

So your edit rests not on the correctness of what I said, but on how you think I conceptualise being allowed to have sex with slaves?

Quote:
In regards to 'concubines' it goes without saying that to descibe such women as 'sex slaves' would imply that consent was not acheived.

When women are captured as sexs slaves in modern times (ie forced into work as prostitutes), they generally consent to each individual sexual encounter. Whether a person in such a vulnerable position consents becomes pretty meaningless. That's why consent is not considered an issue for carnal knowledge. Not that I am trying to equate Islamic sex slaves with prostitution rings, I'm just pointing out that the issue of consent loses most of it's meaning when applied to a slave. I did not necessarily mean that consent was not achieved. When I said sex slave I meant exaclty that - a slave you can have sex with. It's doesn't mean she can't cook and clean for you as well.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print