Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Islamic courts (Read 15810 times)
abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Re: Islamic courts
Reply #45 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 8:53pm

Common misconceptions thread is quite clear...

-----

Judiciary

One of the accusations against Islam’s treatment of dhimmi is that a dhimmi is not allowed to give evidence against a Muslim and his oath is not acceptable in an Islamic court.

Bat Ye’or states:

Every legal case involving a Muslim and a dhimmi was judged according to Koranic law. Although the very idea of justice implies equality between parties, a dhimmi was not allowed to give evidence against a Muslim. Since his oath was unacceptable in an Islamic court his Muslim opponent could not easily be condemned. In order to defend himself, the dhimmi was obliged to purchase Muslim witnesses at great expense.14

The rule of law applies to everyone within the Khilafah and there are no exceptions. It is obligatory for the Islamic State to judge in cases concerning the dhimmi with justice and no discrimination against them is allowed.

Allah (swt) says in the Holy Qur’an:

And if you judge, judge with justice between them.

Verily, Allah loves those who act justly.15

The most famous example of this justice is in the legal trial of a Jew who stole the coat of armour of Imam Ali (ra) as he was travelling to a battle. The judge Shurayh made no exception for Ali (ra) even though he was the Khaleefah, a Muslim and also off to fight in a battle so was in desperate need of his armour. Shurayh ruled in favour of the Jew and accepted his testimony in court. Full details of the trial can be read here.

The dhimmi is allowed to be a witness in an Islamic court against a Muslim and their evidence is acceptable. The conditions of being a witness apply equally to Muslims and dhimmi. The conditions of a witness are: sane, mature and ‘adl (trustworthy).

It may be claimed that the condition of ‘Adl applies only to Muslims who refrain from committing the kabeera (major) sins. This is incorrect. ‘Adl in this context means someone who abstains from that which the people consider a violation of uprightness, whether he was a Muslim or non-Muslim. This is because ‘adaala (trustworthiness) was stipulated in the testimony of the Muslim as well as in the testimony of the non-Muslim, by using the same word without distinguishing one from the other.

Allah (swt) says in the Holy Qur’an:

O you who believe! Let there be witnesses between you when death draws to one of you, at the time of bequest, two witnesses, ‘adl (trustworthy) from among you, or two others from other than you.16

He (swt) meant non-Muslims by saying other than you. He said ‘two ‘adl witnesses from Muslims or two ‘adl from other than Muslims.’ So how can the ‘adaala be defined as not committing a kabeera (major) sin and insistence on committing a sagheera (small) sin regarding a non-Muslim? Also how can we reject as a witness the one who disobeyed his parents once, but accept as witness the spy, just because spying is not from kabeera sins? Therefore, the valid meaning of ‘adl is the one that abstained from that which the people consider violation to the uprightness.17

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #46 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 2:36pm

Acceptable does not necessarily mean equal. To me that just implies that they are allowed to testify. Also, are non-Muslims less likely to be considered trustworthy? Under our system, anyone can be a witness, no matter how 'untrustworthy'. It is up to the jury to decide who is telling the truth, not some religious official who hides evidence from the court. We even allow insane and immature people to testify. Can you imagine a system that forbids a victim of pedophilia from testifying because they are too immature?

Quote:
Adl in this context means someone who abstains from that which the people consider a violation of uprightness, whether he was a Muslim or non-Muslim.

Sounds pretty discriminatory to me. I take it that by 'the people' it means the Muslim people?

Also, what made you previously think the testimony of non-Muslims was considered inferior?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #47 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 7:35pm

Systems of justice are flawed enough… I don’t believe that throwing a religious element into the mix, particularly of one so severe and one that proselytizes with zeal, would necessarily judge equally those of the faith and those who are not. Why would they necessarily be more just than a secular system?

Let’s see what stories of religious inequality emerge from Iran when (hopefully) the crash of oil prices causes the collapse of the Islamic Theocracy.  

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #48 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 9:20pm

Abu, can you explain this apparent contradiction in your common deceptions thread?

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1234955518

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #49 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 3:10am

There's no contradiction at all.

Even if Tallow's accusation were correct (which it is not), and Imam Ali (ra) was lying then that still  does not affect the relevance of this example in the slightest. Please stop deflecting to irrelevant side issues.

Your issues with the common misconceptions thread are really petty, I gotta say.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #50 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 11:19am

Abu do you not understand the apparent contradiction that tallo pointed out?

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #51 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 1:42pm

freediver wrote on Oct 13th, 2008 at 2:40pm:
Is it true that non-Muslims are considered by Islamic law to be inferior witnesses by default when testifying in court?

Can you imagine the outcry [from muslims in the West], if those circumstances were reversed, and we applied those values to muslims within our court system?

I mean, muslims would be rioting on our streets, and calling us bigots, and 'racists'.
....err, yeah,
....well you know what i mean!

"Freedom of expression GO TO HELL!"

Funny isn't it, muslims never believe that such demands [which they make], applies to themselves.....

How would muslims feel.....

“Slay those who insult ENGLAND”
“Behead those who insult ENGLAND”
“Massacre those who insult ENGLAND”
“Butcher those who mock ENGLAND”
“ISLAM you will pay, demolition is on its way”
“ISLAM you will pay, your extermination is on its way”
“Exterminate those who slander NON-MUSLIMS”
“ISLAM is the cancer, TRUTH is the answer”
“TRUTH will dominate the world”
“ISLAM go to hell”
“ISLAM take some lessons from 9/11”
“ISLAM be prepared for the real Holocaust”

« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2009 at 1:56pm by Yadda »  

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #52 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 7:25pm

freediver,

No I don't understand the supposed contradiction.

All that Tallow claimed was that Imam Ali (ra) was supposedly a liar. That does not alter whatsoever the fact that testimony of non-Muslims is quite acceptable under Shari'ah law, acceptable enough that the Muslim head of state (As Ali was Caliph at this time) could be ruled against, based solely on the word of a non-Muslim.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #53 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 9:59pm

Yadda wrote on Feb 19th, 2009 at 1:42pm:
How would muslims feel.....

“Slay those who insult ENGLAND”
“Behead those who insult ENGLAND”
“Massacre those who insult ENGLAND”
“Butcher those who mock ENGLAND”
“ISLAM you will pay, demolition is on its way”
“ISLAM you will pay, your extermination is on its way”
“Exterminate those who slander NON-MUSLIMS”
“ISLAM is the cancer, TRUTH is the answer”
“TRUTH will dominate the world”
“ISLAM go to hell”
“ISLAM take some lessons from 9/11”
“ISLAM be prepared for the real Holocaust”

They would riot, of course, you racists, white supremacist, bigoted insensitive islamophobe. How very dare you imagine for a minute that you could be permitted to say anything like what a Muslim can say? You would be dragged before some sensitivity-court and ruined, white pigdog English oppressor. Off with your head!
Alana's at da bar!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #54 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 10:15pm

Abu, is it true that the judge in that particular case got punished for what he did? In other words, you are using a legal case to make Islam look good and implying it is somehow typical or representative, yet it was an extraordinary case in which the judge was reprimanded.

Quote:
All that Tallow claimed was that Imam Ali (ra) was supposedly a liar.

The Imam contradicted himself. He started oput by saying the Jew stole whatever it was, then he said the court ruled in his favour. Tallo concluded one of the statement was a lie. It certainly doesn't make much sense.

Quote:
That does not alter whatsoever the fact that testimony of non-Muslims is quite acceptable under Shari'ah law

The issue here is whether the testimony of non-Muslims is considered inferior to that of a Muslim. A lot of people seem to think so. Even you did, though you appear to be changing your mind. Is there a 'difference of opinion' on the matter?
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2009 at 10:41pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print