Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Expert opposes croc cull after suspected attack (Read 12262 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re:  Expert opposes croc cull after suspected attack
Reply #15 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 10:49am

I used to kill cane toads, but I don't see too many around these days.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #16 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 10:52am

Quote:
Are you merely trying to demonstrate the possibility that a species can become threatened?

Yes - no-one knows for certain how many crocodiles there are.  

We have legally promoted hunting in Australia and there is no guarantee that hunting is only restricted to feral animals.  I wonder how many crocs are shot just for fun.

The advertising is sickening - " a hunters paradise" - where they can shoot at anything that moves.

Australia’s Northern Territory, or the Top End as we locals call it, is some 1.4 million square kilometres in size. Or to put it another way, Italy, France & Spain all rolled into one. The NT is a HUNTERS’ and fishermens’ PARADISE, supporting vast populations of feral animals including WILD BOAR or pigs, WATER BUFFALO, scrub bulls & BANTENG CATTLE, plus huge numbers of MAGPIE GEESE & ducks. The Territory is a visually stunning landscape, VAST & sparsely populated, and for a large part still WILD & untouched. Flood plains, billabongs, big rivers, thundering waterfalls, rock escarpments, rain forest, prolific birdlife, brilliant sunsets, aboriginal culture & some of the most interesting & DIVERSE bunch of people you will EVER meet. This makes the Northern Territory a MUST visit destination at least a once in YOUR lifetime.

NB - Sorry - I won't post on the hunting board anymore - I know it's interfering with the flow of posts from those who enjoy this "sport.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #17 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 11:01am

Yes - no-one knows for certain how many crocodiles there are. 

That's OK. We don't know for certain how many kangaroos there are either. Luckily we have ways of managing uncertainty. Also, I am sure everyone here is aware of the possibility that species can become endangered. There is no need to point it out.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #18 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 3:55pm

I think someone said in the NT alone the numbers had grown to over 70,000. Thats a lot of crocs.That doesnt even touch upon numbers in QLD.

When Buffullo get out of hand they are culled (have nice sets of horns) as are any other species that damage the environment/lack habitat and food or threaten human life, altho the latter seems to be a rarity...as if human life is not important.
Culling is done mainly for humane purposes in the end and to protect our soils and vegetation etc. most of the damage is done by introduced species.

We are but one species that live on the planet and some of us think we are above animals..but we are animals..anything we do or dont do is legit in that context..
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2008 at 8:10pm by oceanz »  

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 7:56pm

I think you can kill a crock with a spear or an arrow in the eye and I believe you should do it if you hunt for adrenalin rush. Never had done crocks myself though I've seen some when lived in NQ, NT and PNG bush for months at a time, was too tired from work and it was easier to take care of where you camp and when you go to river.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #20 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 8:09pm

tallowood wrote on Oct 3rd, 2008 at 7:56pm:
I think you can kill a crock with a spear or an arrow in the eye and I believe you should do it if you hunt for adrenalin rush. Never had done crocks myself though I've seen some when lived in NQ, NT and PNG bush for months at a time, was too tired from work and it was easier to take care of where you camp and when you go to river.

Yes tallowood..pple just naturally camp by water..its is easier. One shouldnt be afraid of being eaten by a croc just because they need water for camping and general puposes.

I wouldnt attempt to spear a croc thru the eye..not unless I was tired of living.

Its easier just to nuke/spork him ha ha.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #21 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 8:21pm

Australia has recently had exposure internationally with our crocodiles in regards to the late Steve Irwin.

What if say, instead of commercial harvesting being brought back in, there were authorised hunting guides who you had to go through to hunt crocodiles legally, and they had to be tagged/a tag had to be presented in order to get it stuffed, skinned, exported, butchered etc etc? Say each tag cost $500 (or even $1000 or more, depending on how many were allowed to be killed each year) straight to the state/territory government plus guide fees which the guide kept for themselves. There would also be a yearly limit on how many could be taken so as not to wipe them out.

I imagine a lot of American hunters would head out this way, and it would keep the farmers happy as it would not likely encroach on their business as the cost of tagging the animals would be much greater than the cost of raising them just for meat/skins. Then again I don't know what it costs to raise a croc but I hear they aren't frequent eaters.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 8:41pm

oceanz wrote on Oct 3rd, 2008 at 8:09pm:

Yes tallowood..pple just naturally camp by water..its is easier. One shouldnt be afraid of being eaten by a croc just because they need water for camping and general puposes.

I wouldnt attempt to spear a croc thru the eye..not unless I was tired of living.

People who camp near river in tropics are not smart and not only because of crocks but also much worth... mosquitoes and all other life forms who need water to drink.
They really should receive posthumous Darwinian evolutionary award instead of keep breeding, OR they have to learn quick-smart otherwise we all get unreal public liability insurance rates and I hate that more then killer crocks, snakes, spiders, mosquitoes and white ticks.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #23 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 10:19pm

Australia has recently had exposure internationally with our crocodiles in regards to the late Steve Irwin.

As opposed to previously when we were represented by people like Wassaname Dundee?

What if say, instead of commercial harvesting being brought back in, there were authorised hunting guides who you had to go through to hunt crocodiles legally, and they had to be tagged/a tag had to be presented in order to get it stuffed, skinned, exported, butchered etc etc?

Yes, that can be very lucrative, though it is not mutally exclusive with other forms of harvest. In fact it contributes to a lot of conservation efforts in Africa. Farmers don't tend to take too kindly to tigers eating their cows, but if a European 'great white hunter' is willing to pay 50 years salary to shoot one, then the more lions the better. Plus it saves them the trouble of hunting down the lions themselves.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #24 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 10:08pm

tallowood wrote on Oct 3rd, 2008 at 8:41pm:
oceanz wrote on Oct 3rd, 2008 at 8:09pm:

People who camp near river in tropics are not smart and not only because of crocks but also much worth... mosquitoes and all other life forms who need water to drink.
They really should receive posthumous Darwinian evolutionary award instead of keep breeding, OR they have to learn quick-smart otherwise we all get unreal public liability insurance rates and I hate that more then killer crocks, snakes, spiders, mosquitoes and white ticks.

Camping in the tropics fullstop sucks Tallo..I hate those nasty little sandflies the most..the ones that live in the mangroves..They bring me up in the worst bumps..and itch like crazy.

Camped by the sea in Cooktown QLD for 6 months ( fishing the Barrier Reef ...working holiday) and I have to say I was miserable most of the time..

The only moments of light and frivolity was watching the nudists with really bad bodies ( I didnt do the whole "nuddy "thing..my togs was sufficiently fine..Im a bit shy) going about their business and the same who drank warm mango wine and gave themselves a wicked dose of the "runs"..no no I lie ..those same pple on magic mushroms were a sight to behold. Grin

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 6:59pm

oceanz wrote on Oct 6th, 2008 at 10:08pm:
Camping in the tropics fullstop sucks Tallo..I hate those nasty little sandflies the most..the ones that live in the mangroves..They bring me up in the worst bumps..and itch like crazy.

Camped by the sea in Cooktown QLD for 6 months ( fishing the Barrier Reef ...working holiday) and I have to say I was miserable most of the time..

The only moments of light and frivolity was watching the nudists with really bad bodies ( I didnt do the whole "nuddy "thing..my togs was sufficiently fine..Im a bit shy) going about their business and the same who drank warm mango wine and gave themselves a wicked dose of the "runs"..no no I lie ..those same pple on magic mushroms were a sight to behold. Grin

Unfortunately those nasty baggers (not nudists) are prolific not only in tropics but all over different climatic zones. I suffered from them in NSW, QLD and even in polar tundra in summer time. They keep nudists at bay for sure but I'd rather have nudists then sand flies.

Talking about mangoes, once I was silly enough to camp under a mango tree in York Peninsula. All night I was bombarded by first by bits of mangoes knocked down by bats and later by dead bats dropped down by a hunting python.   Angry

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Crocs on Fraser Island, Hervey Bay
Reply #26 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 8:18am

Signs erected at Great Sandy Straits and Fraser Island

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24844431-952,00.html

HOLIDAYMAKERS flocking to Fraser Island and the Great Sandy Strait are facing a bigger threat than bluebottle stings and sunburn.

They are for the first time also being officially warned to watch out for crocodiles.

The Environmental Protection Agency last month erected the warning signs after a 3.4m crocodile was reportedly sighted at Deep Creek on Fraser Island and a 2.5m crocodile was seen at Baffle Creek, about 150km north of Hervey Bay.

Long-time Maaroom resident and fisherman Stan Pappin  said he often saw saltwater crocs near his home, which overlooks Maaroom Creek inlet on the strait just south of Maryborough.

"Three months ago there were three crocodiles just here in the creek," he said. "The small ones were about 12ft (4m) and the large one about 16ft. They come and go. You just learn to live with them. When they're here you just don't go into the water.

"But they don't stay here all the time, they just come here to chase the barramundi."

An EPA spokesman said public safety was the agency's priority in managing crocodiles.

Warning signs are posted at Deep Creek and Fig Tree Creek, on the western shore of Fraser island, as well as at the barge departure points at Urangan, River Heads and Inskip Point.

"The nearest reported sighting (of a crocodile) has been at Fig Tree Creek on the west coast of Fraser Island," the EPA spokesman said. Information sheets also have been distributed to regional tourism organisations and commercial tour operators and other key stakeholders for Fraser Island, asking them to encourage people to exercise caution.

The EPA's official "Croc Watch" tally reports the most recent sighting of a crocodile on the Fraser Coast as being on December 2 on a small island in Kauri Creek on the western side of the Strait. This followed unconfirmed sightings of a 3m crocodile in the Mary River near Queens Park at Maryborough on November 5, a crocodile seen behind a boat near Bridge Creek on Fraser Island's western side on November 1-2 and a 1.5m-2m croc spotted on a creek at Dundowran Beach near Hervey Bay in March-April this year.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #27 - Apr 26th, 2009 at 7:28pm

Looks like this is back on the agenda. The 7.30 report is doing a story too, nt sure if it has already aired.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article6069596.ece

A spate of crocodile attacks in Australia's Top End has led to a proposal for the widespread culling of the animals and a “croc-free zone” to be put in place around Darwin.

The draft plan by the Northern Territory Environment Minister will include a no-tolerance zone in which saltwater crocodiles found within a 30-mile radius of Darwin would be killed or captured.

The proposal was made after the death of Briony Goodsell, 11, who was taken by a crocodile while swimming in a swamp near her home in Lambells Lagoon, a rural town 30 miles east of Darwin last month.

Her death, which was the third crocodile fatality in Australia since September, has caused concern about the number of large saltwater crocodiles in populated areas.

There are croc-free zones in the Darwin city area and Darwin Harbour but the plan is to include rural areas in which crocodile populations are on the rise. The crocodiles would be caught and either killed for skin and meat production or captured and sent to farms. The plan proposes an increase in community awareness about living near crocodiles, more traps and annual surveys of the Adelaide River, which runs for 100 miles through the Northern Territory and is home to thousands of crocodiles.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2008/s2543106.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2008/s2543439.htm

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 11:38pm

Swimming in a swamp is silly. Next they will want to stop natural selection.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #29 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 7:31pm

A mate of mine was telling me that the aborigines up there are fairly casual about it. They have plenty of kids who run free, and the community doesn't get too worked up if the odd one dies. Though I don't know if this particular girl was aboriginal.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print