Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Expert opposes croc cull after suspected attack (Read 12256 times)
oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Expert opposes croc cull after suspected attack
Oct 2nd, 2008 at 4:48pm

The Australian
October 02, 2008

October 02, 2008
CALLS for a crocodile cull in far north Queensland after a suspected fatal attack earlier this week are ill-advised, an expert says.

Police and State Emergency Service volunteers are searching for 62-year-old holidaymaker Arthur Booker, who is believed to have fallen victim to a crocodile attack on the Endeavour River near Cooktown on Tuesday.

The incident has prompted north Queensland MP Bob Katter to call for a crocodile culling program in Cape York.

However, Australia Zoo senior wildlife ranger Barry Lyon said a crocodile cull would achieve nothing.

"It's just not going to work, the thing with crocodiles is that you can never guarantee that you've hunted them all out," Mr Lyon said.

"There's always going to be some survivors and some moving in from other areas to take their place."

Mr Lyon said crocodiles, because of their place at the top of the food chain, were an essential part of river and lagoon eco systems in the north.

He said extensive hunting of the large reptiles following World War II had a massive impact on river systems in the area.

"The eco systems were so out of balance that catfish were hugely abundant, we'd go fishing and you might catch 20 cat fish for one barra," Mr Lyon said.

"Since then the crocodiles have recovered and now you hardly ever catch a catfish - that's a good example of how they keep the whole system healthy."

He said the presumed attack on Mr Booker was a "terrible tragedy", and it was up to the Environmental Protection Agency to decide whether to trap or kill the crocodile believed to be responsible.

Crocodiles were a part of life in the north, and people who chose to camp or fish in croc infested waters needed to be on guard, Mr Lyon said.

"Stay out of the water, camp well away from the water, go fishing in a good sturdy high sided boat," he said.

He also warned campers against throwing food scraps or fish carcasses into the river.

"That attracts crocs, that's like fast food for them, and it puts people in a very dangerous situation."

----------------------------------------------->>>>>

Since the 1970s when croc hunting was outlawed..these killers have grown to plague proportions.
Much the same as white pointers in SA waters..

Attacks arent isolated anymore and there definitely needs to be a cull.

I cant get warm and fuzzy over a croc or a shark [or a spider bbrrr]..Im sorry... they are cold blooded killers with no soul.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re:  Expert opposes croc cull after suspected attack
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 5:03pm

Now that populations have recovered, there should be a return to croc hunting. You don't need to hunt them all out for it to be a valuable industry and to reduce the number of attacks.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 5:24pm

Crocs already are a valuable industry FD - they are farmed. They are removed from heavily populated areas such as Darwin Harbour by trapping. As to more remote locations why not leave them be? The safety aspect is a rather weak excuse to cull them.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 5:40pm

Why go to the trouble of farming something when you can get it for far less in the wild? Of course the croc farmers always oppose croc hunting, because it is the ban on croc hunting that makes them profitable. The fact that there is a hard way of doing something has never been a valid excuse for not doing it the easy way. The fact that harvesting a particular animal has an added advantage of increasing public safety is a reason in favour of the harvest, not against it. It is not an excuse, it is an additional reason.

Do you need an excuse to catch fish? Why should catching crocs be any different?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 8:24pm

freediver wrote on Oct 2nd, 2008 at 5:40pm:
Why go to the trouble of farming something when you can get it for far less in the wild? Of course the croc farmers always oppose croc hunting, because it is the ban on croc hunting that makes them profitable. The fact that there is a hard way of doing something has never been a valid excuse for not doing it the easy way. The fact that harvesting a particular animal has an added advantage of increasing public safety is a reason in favour of the harvest, not against it. It is not an excuse, it is an additional reason.

Do you need an excuse to catch fish? Why should catching crocs be any different?

So should we cull Great White Sharks FD (at the moment they are totally protected for conservation reasons) ? They still eat people quite regularly.

I hardly think that farming crocs is more trouble than a wild harvest. You have the crocs close to your infrastrucure for harvesting and distribution. As they are bred in captivity there is little in the way of sustainability issues.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 8:47pm

Calls for a crocodile cull in north Queensland is nothing new and nothing ever comes out of it. I reckon they should concentrate on eradicating cane toads.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 9:26pm

So should we cull Great White Sharks FD (at the moment they are totally protected for conservation reasons) ?

I doubt there is a commerical market for them in the same way there is for crocs, or that they have recovered as much. Remember, the primary reason for it is to harvest the resource, not to protect people.

They still eat people quite regularly.

How 'regularly'?

I hardly think that farming crocs is more trouble than a wild harvest. You have the crocs close to your infrastrucure for harvesting and distribution. As they are bred in captivity there is little in the way of sustainability issues.

Perhaps you should let the market decide that. After all we are not communists.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 8:14am

Why don't they leave the poor creatures alone.  Whenever a shark or a crododile eats someone the vigilantes get out there and slaughter everything that moves.

If people are stupid enough to go fishing, camping or swimming around known infested waters - it's not the crododiles fault if they get mauled or eaten.

We've said for years that we have too many koalas and we need a cull - now they're endangered.  The same can probably be said of crododiles.  

Quote:

Can you really compare the two FD?  It might be a little different spearfishing and wrestling a large crododile underwater compared to wrestling a harmless little groper or a turtle.  Yes sure let the hunters have a go - and if they lose a few limbs in the process - tough luck.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 8:38am

We've said for years that we have too many koalas and we need a cull - now they're endangered.

Can you back that up mantra?

Can you really compare the two FD?  It might be a little different spearfishing and wrestling a large crododile underwater compared to wrestling a harmless little groper or a turtle.

Turtle? Groper?

I am not suggesting people spear them mantra.

Yes sure let the hunters have a go - and if they lose a few limbs in the process - tough luck.

Fine by me.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #9 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 9:00am

FD - if crocs were hunted with guns - it's a hit and miss operation.  One bullet unless it's aimed strategically won't kill it - so if hunters are allowed to have their way - there will be plenty of crocodiles dying slowly and in agony from misplaced bullets. 

It's common knowledge now that koalas are endangered although the Australian government only labels them as threatened - contrary to expert opinion.  A majority of them have some contagious disease which they can't cure in adults and have very little success curing in babies.  This is wiping out entire populations.  Their habitats are almost destroyed and road kill and predators are finishing them off when disease and starvation doesn't.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #10 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 9:37am

mantra wrote on Oct 3rd, 2008 at 9:00am:
FD - if crocs were hunted with guns - it's a hit and miss operation.  One bullet unless it's aimed strategically won't kill it - so if hunters are allowed to have their way - there will be plenty of crocodiles dying slowly and in agony from misplaced bullets.  

It's common knowledge now that koalas are endangered although the Australian government only labels them as threatened - contrary to expert opinion.  A majority of them have some contagious disease which they can't cure in adults and have very little success curing in babies.  This is wiping out entire populations.  Their habitats are almost destroyed and road kill and predators are finishing them off when disease and starvation doesn't.

A spear on a croc would not be effective they would need to be shot /trapped..if a prof shooter misses one occasionally (a fatal hit I mean) Thats par for the course and well -sh*t happens-unfortunatley.

I think we as a society have it a bit out of kilter when we allow killers to flourish at he expense of the safety of pple..we are entitled to protect ourselves ( like any other creature in the wild does) if we are threatened by menace. We cant holiday on land ( crocs) and we cant go for a dip/spot of fishing(Pointers)..sanity needs to prevail.

I have been camping on the Roper River for Barra etc (Nt)a croc infested river..we were fearful that crocs would take us from our tents ( it happens- and they dont knock either )- my then partner not long after went croc hunting expedtion alone and slept in the branches of trees for safety sake..(he penned romantic letters from that altitude -inspiration? : =)

White pointers out in these waters are now taking swimmers and fisherman too "regulary" for my liking ( a boat was swamped by a huge wave whilst fishermen were shark fishing -for gummies not pointers- its believed they may have been taken by sharks - only the skipper was found and survived- the 2 young deckies? never found)..the protection of Parks and Wildlife has seen them now grow to dangerous numbers...and they are HUNGRY.

Fisherman now fish with great unease at the size of these monsters..seeing them several times a week circling their boats.
They are the size of my medium sized wagon ( thats big)

Koalas and killer sharks/crocs

.How is there a correlation?
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2008 at 9:42am by oceanz »  

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 9:43am

FD - if crocs were hunted with guns - it's a hit and miss operation.  One bullet unless it's aimed strategically won't kill it - so if hunters are allowed to have their way - there will be plenty of crocodiles dying slowly and in agony from misplaced bullets.

Why would you assume that hunters will use inferior methods?

It's common knowledge now that koalas are endangered although the Australian government only labels them as threatened - contrary to expert opinion.

So they are endangered, but we need to cull them as well? Were to trying to claim that the cull went too far and cased them to be endangered? And like oceans said, what does a commerical harvest of crocs have to do with a NPWS cull of koalas?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #12 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 10:24am

The Koalas were only being used as an example as many people are under the misapprehension they exist in abundance - same as crocs.

If you go on the principle that all threatening animals to humans should be killed - we may as well wipe out almost every animal on this planet.

You hunters have got your own peculiar mindset and a bloodlust that many do not understand.

Obviously camping near croc infested waters is encroaching on their territory - but then again why should the threat of an attack interfere with the recreation of humans who might want a swim.

Go grab your guns and get 'em.  You could even have them stuffed and mounted on your walls - great conversation piece.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 10:28am

The Koalas were only being used as an example as many people are under the misapprehension they exist in abundance - same as crocs.

So you think all the scientists and wildlife people who organised the cull were wrong? How does the prevalence or otherwise of koalas tell you how abundant crocs are? Why is it a relevant example? Are you merely trying to demonstrate the possibility that a species can become threatened?

If you go on the principle that all threatening animals to humans should be killed

That is not the principle I am going on. I don't go fishing or eat kangaroos because I feel threatened by them.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #14 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 10:39am

Quote:
If you go on the principle that all threatening animals to humans should be killed 

That was in response to Oceans post. 

FD - do you only ever hunt specifically for food? 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print