Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
teaching local literature (Read 7788 times)
tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: teaching local literature
Reply #60 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 8:12am

freediver wrote on Oct 3rd, 2008 at 8:05am:
Having a balanced education does not make it harder to concentrate on your job. Do you think the only thing that doctors think about is what they learnt when they were back in school?

Having study local or otherwise literature at school doesn't make doctors job better that is sure but there is small possibility that if he or she spent more time doing more professional study rather then something else he or she would be better professional.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #61 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 8:43am

The point is not to make doctors better at being doctors, the point is to make them better at being citizens. If our society was made up of doctors who only know medicine, engineers who only know physics, accountants who only knew accounting, plumbers who only knew pipes, our society would not function.

A doctor is still not going to become a brain surgeon until he knows enough to do the job well.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #62 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 8:56am

freediver wrote on Oct 3rd, 2008 at 8:43am:
The point is not to make doctors better at being doctors, the point is to make them better at being citizens. If our society was made up of doctors who only know medicine, engineers who only know physics, accountants who only knew accounting, plumbers who only knew pipes, our society would not function.

A doctor is still not going to become a brain surgeon until he knows enough to do the job well.

The bricklayer who worked on my house did not know works of Banjo Paterson or Henry Lawson but he was a good bricklayer and a good Australian citizen. He also liked fishing but that was option he had chosen and wasn't coerced into. As matter of fact there are many examples of when a state using coercion to force something on its people the quality of citizenship is lower then in states where freedom of choice is the standard.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #63 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 9:36am

As matter of fact there are many examples of when a state using coercion to force something on its people the quality of citizenship is lower then in states where freedom of choice is the standard.

Is education one of thsoe examples?

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #64 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 7:25pm

freediver wrote on Oct 3rd, 2008 at 9:36am:
As matter of fact there are many examples of when a state using coercion to force something on its people the quality of citizenship is lower then in states where freedom of choice is the standard.

Is education one of thsoe examples?

Some of education are.
Would you want to have religion/ideology as compulsory subjects in schools for the sake of creating uniform citizenry? They did and do have this in some countries.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #65 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 7:30pm

Religion should obviously not be compulsory. While literature should be, it should not be uniform. There are plenty of great books out there to choose from. Economics should be fairly uniform, though I would be happy if some people did macro, some did micro, and some did a crash course in both. History is a bit more difficult because there is no obvious 'introduction' to it, but the rise of Nazism is dense with important lessons.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 8:11pm

freediver wrote on Oct 3rd, 2008 at 7:30pm:
Religion should obviously not be compulsory. While literature should be, it should not be uniform. There are plenty of great books out there to choose from. Economics should be fairly uniform, though I would be happy if some people did macro, some did micro, and some did a crash course in both. History is a bit more difficult because there is no obvious 'introduction' to it, but the rise of Nazism is dense with important lessons.

Bible, Koran, Talmud, Vedas, Des Kapital, Main Kampf, Life of Lenin, etc., etc., etc., are literary works of fiction and they should not be compulsory subjects of study to anyone but they also should not be prohibited as optional study.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #67 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 10:22pm

From a literary perspective none of them are especially good.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 10:04am

freediver wrote on Oct 3rd, 2008 at 10:22pm:
From a literary perspective none of them are especially good.

Some people think that some parts of some of these books have a great literary merits especially from historical perspective of literature. But of course literature is not science and individual opinion  is just the opinion of an individual. That's is another reason why study of literature should not be compulsory.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Grammar to make a classroom comeback
Reply #69 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 2:19pm

Grammar to make a classroom comeback in national English curriculum

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24508917-601,00.html

GRAMMAR will return to the classroom under the national English curriculum, along with punctuation, spelling, pronunciation and phonics, for all students from the first years of school.

The draft curriculum, to be released today by the National Curriculum Board, is unequivocal in including the explicit teaching of the basic structures of the English language.

But the draft retains the teaching of critical literacy, a sociological model analysing gender, race and class in literature to expose inherent prejudices and agendas.

The draft places literature as one of the three fundamental elements of an English course, along with language and literacy, and defines literary texts so as to include "multimodal texts".

The draft English curriculum was written by Sydney University education professor Peter Freebody, a literacy expert whose appointment was initially criticised for his lack of academic background in literature and championing of controversial views on literacy.

Professor Freebody said the curriculum stiffened the intellectual underpinning of the English curriculum by putting at its centre the three elements of learning about language, literature and literacy, or how to use language.
School English courses have been hotly debated in recent years, including the teaching of reading, the study of print literature, the use of critical literacy in analysing literature, and teaching the basic structures of the language such as grammar.

The draft addresses the debates, saying the "explicit teaching of decoding, spelling and other aspects of the basic codes of written English will be an important and routine aspect" of the curriculum. The draft says critical literacy is the analysis of texts in terms of "their potential philosophical, political or ideological assumptions and content".

"The (curriculum) will need to consider, at different stages of schooling, what emphasis is required to support young people to increase their sophisticated understandings of how to interpret texts, how they can be constructed and evaluated, and how their effects on us result from the features of the texts themselves and from the personal, social and cultural conditions in which they are used," it says.

Professor Freebody said critical literacy should not occupy a big part of the curriculum, but it had a role in enabling students to protect themselves against propaganda and being manipulated.

"Language isn't always innocent," he said.

"For the most part, what kids will learn when they encounter literary text is its aesthetic value and that it is cherished."

Professor Freebody said asking students to write Marxist, racist and feminist readings of a work such as Othello was "nonsensical". "It's a gratuitous notion that kids know enough about Marxism to do it, even if it was useful, which it isn't," he said.

"It's an example of bad practice by people trying to pursue this agenda of having kids analyse texts' underlying philosophical, moral, ideological and political issues, and this curriculum wouldn't endorse it."

The first key element of the curriculum is knowledge of English, covering strategies in learning to read and write.

"The explicit and systematic teaching of sound-script correspondences is important," it says. The draft says a quarter of school students learn English as an additional language, so the curriculum had to focus on the teaching of the basics.

"A focus on grammar, spelling strategies and conventions of punctuation will be necessary across all stages of schooling," it says. "This commitment includes traditional word- and sentence-level grammar, text-level grammar that teaches text types and patterns, and the functional relations between these levels."

Teaching grammar was deemed unnecessary, and was removed from curriculums in the 1970s, and while it has been creeping back in some schools and states, its teaching remains patchy. Some universities now offer first-year courses in writing, teaching the basics of grammar and sentence construction, to give students the skills they lack.

Perth teacher John Hancock has yearned for grammar to be a subject in its own right for the eight years he has been teaching high school. "We're dealing with grammar problems as they arise," Mr Hancock, from Helena College, said yesterday.

"It's assumed that because people converse in English, they have mastered the rudiments of communication. These rudiments can be easily forgotten."

An informed appreciation of literature is the second element of the draft curriculum, which is teaching students the aesthetic value of literary texts and that they are cherished.

The draft says Australian literary works should be a core element, with literature a fundamental part of the curriculum at every stage.

The third element focuses on learning to use language, from speaking English to writing it or using it in multimodal texts.

Literacy, numeracy and now 'visuacy' for schools

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1218775943

SCHOOL students should study Picasso alongside pictures of Elle Macpherson's underwear as part of a recasting of visual arts education away from traditional forms to include images of all kinds.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #70 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 3:34pm

wtf? U don't need grammar. Its 2 l8 fr that. Grin

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print