Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
teaching local literature (Read 7797 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
teaching local literature
Sep 29th, 2008 at 3:50pm

There has been a lot of coverage in the press recently about a move for Australian English classes to teach more local literature. This was opposed by teaching unions.

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com.au/letters/index.php/theaustralian/comments/we_must_differentiate_cultural_cringe_and_celebration

We must differentiate cultural cringe and celebration

THE oh-so-postmodern position of the English Teachers Association of NSW in opposing affirmative action for the study of Australian literature in high schools is disappointing to publishers who place their houses on the line in order to invest in publishing Australian writers, and to parents who might like to encourage their children to contemplate earning an income through a literary life in this country ("Teachers oppose our literature”, 17/9).

The problem with such an anti-parochial or anti-cultural-cringe approach is that other cultures do not necessarily follow suit. We also need to differentiate between cultural cringe and celebration. The Canadians, Irish, Welsh, Dutch, Japanese and French (to name a few) have been brilliant at supporting, cultivating and celebrating their own literary (and farming) economies through education, proud promotion, and, dare we say it, protection of local culture (and agriculture).

What is wrong with encouraging a healthy appetite for local stories, and local produce, in order to keep local production sustainable? Are those teachers not otherwise telling the aspiring authors amongst their students that if they want to be read by their fellow Australians, they must first of all make it on the global stage?

Stephanie Johnston

Director, Wakefield Press

Kent Town, SA

IT is regrettable that English teachers, of all people, should oppose strengthening the teaching of Australian literature in NSW schools. Australian literature deserves to be taught not least because it is recognised internationally for its excellence. The classic works of Australian literature are more complex than the ETA assumes, both representing and provoking a range of views and responses, while debates around the canon itself form a diverse social history.

The NSW Board of Studies’ List of Prescribed Texts for 2009-12 includes around one-third Australian content. On the face of it this seems reasonable, but the optional nature of the curriculum means that students encounter far less Australian material than these potentially available choices indicate. Australian literature has always had to fight for its place in the English curriculum in both schools and universities. Now and in the future it requires as much advocacy as at any other time in its history.

Robert Dixon

Professor of Australian Literature

University of Sydney

AT no point in the response to the NSW Board of Studies’ consultation did the ETA oppose increasing the study of Australian literature. Indeed, in its response, the ETA suggested five ways in which Australian literature could be strengthened in the syllabus for all students, rather than the handful that the board was targeting.

What the ETA disputes is how the Board of Studies proposes to increase the amount studied. The structures for the increase do not sit well with the learning design of the syllabus and isolate Australian print literature from other Australian literary texts such as drama and film. In fact, they also isolate Australian literature from the literature of other countries and other times. If we are truly to value the literature of our own people, we need to read it as integrated with the whole world of ideas, not a disconnected unit.

Eva Gold

Executive Officer, English Teachers

Association of NSW, Leichhardt, NSW

IN its apparent contempt for the study of Australian literature in schools, the English Teachers Association of NSW has sounded a new depth of cultural cringe. I can’t think of another place in the world where studying the literature of your own country can be portrayed as reprehensible because it “confers superiority” to that literature as opposed to others (as if the ETA knows anything at all about other countries’ literature in any case, any more than they do about their own).

Using that kind of cock-eyed criterion, Kevin Rudd must have erred gravely this last week in awarding the Prime Minister’s Prize for Literature to two Australian writers, and not have made it a global prize.

Not to speak of the fact that, shock, horror, he did not award such a literature prize to other “texts”, such as websites, advertisements, SMS messages, TV shows or whatever.

Sophie Masson

Invergowrie, NSW

THE “cultural cringe” was a term coined by A.A. Phillips in 1950 to describe a common, colonial assumption that white Australian culture was necessarily inferior to European cultures because it had a relatively short history. Ironically, this cringe now threatens to return in the new guise of its opposite: a modish promotion of the global. Teaching Australian literature should be limited, argues the ETA, because it will promote insularity, a lack of confidence about the place of Australian achievement in world literature.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Re: teaching local literature
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 4:53pm

Of course having My Brother Jack (amongst other Australian novels) shoved down my throat at high school did not endear me to Australian literature.

And I was a big reader as a kid and adult. Of the 1000+ books I have read, MBJ was one of the few to defeat me. I could not finish it. I would have happily drowned the main character.

The only reason I gave Bryce Courtney a go was because I had heard that Fagan was a character in one of his books.

I have to say that the novels I read are predominately fantasy, horror, military or SciFi. 2/3 of what I read is NF. I usually try to read the best authors. I don't care about borders. If none of the best authors are ozzies, I don't care. I also generally avoid female authors like the plague. Simply they don't often write anything I am interested in. Julian May is OK, and Anne Rice wasn't bad except for being too long winded sometimes and a preoccupation for homosexuality in the sophisticated male. Good grief Cheesy

I would be obliged for a suggestion for a good Patrick White novel. I would be pleased to give him a go. But MBJ was for me, complete poo.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 4:59pm

I am open to suggestions, and I do not have a large experience base for Australian literature but can anyone suggest an Aussie book as good as

Catch 22
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
Dune
Tomas Covenant
Ender's Game
The Fountainhead
A Christmas Carrol
Moby Dick
Don Quixote
Oliver Twist
The Illiad
Frankenstein
Les Miserables
Songs of Distant Earth
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Johnathan Livingstone Seagull

etc etc

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 5:06pm

I'd suggest "Cloudstreet" and "Dirt Music" (both by Tim Winton).

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 5:09pm

I really enjoyed 'Tomorrow When the War Began'. I read the whole series, something like 7 books. I can't think of any other Australian authors I have enjoyed. Being such a small country, I guess we can't expect a lot of great literature. There's only so many books you can force kids to read.

I had to read 'To Kill a Mockingbird' in school. That was a great book.

EDIT -  that guy from Brisbane is also really good, but I don't think his books would be suitable for schools.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 5:16pm

Eleanor Dark's 'Timeless Land' was my Waterloo at Junior High School.

I would rather have had root canal treatment.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 5:42pm

yes, to kill a mockingbird is a great favourite, read it many times. one of the first books I reread after leaving school. I also have great respect for Colleen McCullock. her rome books are incredibly well researhed. I like george martin's fantasy stuff as well.

tim winton is well respected but I have no idea what his stuff is about.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 6:24pm

Literature local or otherwise should be optional subject as it is irrelevant for majority of kids who grow to be adults.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 6:42pm

You don't get optional English subjects in high school.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 6:51pm

freediver wrote on Sep 30th, 2008 at 6:42pm:
You don't get optional English subjects in high school.

And that is the problem. Local vs global is just a jockeys elbowing for attention and money allocation.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 6:52pm

You think there should be additional optional classes?

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 7:00pm

'Matthew Flinder's Cat' by Bryce Courtenay. It's even set in Australia. Great read.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 7:05pm

freediver wrote on Sep 30th, 2008 at 6:52pm:
You think there should be additional optional classes?

Literature should not be compulsory.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 7:14pm

easel wrote on Sep 30th, 2008 at 7:00pm:
'Matthew Flinder's Cat' by Bryce Courtenay. It's even set in Australia. Great read.

I heard Courtenay discussing how he researched that book. He literally walked and crawled around parts of Sydney as a cat might, ultimately having to hire a Maori bouncer to protect him strung out junkies.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 7:21pm

What about English in general? Should it be optional, or should the compulsory bits focus only on grammar and punctuation?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print