Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Should Islam be blamed for 'barbaric' acts? (Read 22780 times)
Soren
Gold Member

Should Islam be blamed for 'barbaric' acts?
Sep 17th, 2008 at 9:25pm

By Spengler

Al-Jazeera television on March 9 apologized to viewers after a talk-show guest, Syrian-American psychologist Dr Wafa Sultan, described as "barbaric" the response of Muslims to a Danish newspaper's cartoons about the Prophet Mohammed. "The Muslims' barbaric reaction added to the value of these cartoons. It simply proved their rightness," said Dr Sultan on the Qatari network. "The Muslim is an irrational creature, and the things he learned overpower his mind and inflame his feelings. That is why these remarks have turned him into an inferior creature, who cannot control himself and respond to events in a rational way."

Despite the network’s hasty apology, Dr Sultan’s presence on the show is a sign of the times. The issue of Muslim "barbarism", including honor killings and other forms of violence against women, has risen in prominence in Europe's political agenda. The question appears to be: Do Muslims commit barbaric acts because they are bad Muslims or because they are good Muslims? Does Islam as such promote barbarism or suppress it? Within the vast collection of hadith, or apocryphal sayings of Mohammed, are to be found explicit support for female genital mutilation and wife-beating. Are such barbaric acts a residue of traditional society that persist despite Islam, or because of it?

I shall argue that this is the wrong question, for Islam by its nature cannot be separated from primitive life.

Many Muslims protest that Islamic law does not sanction honor killings, and that other ethnic groups (eg, Hindus in Britain) are guilty of the practice. Honor killings are a repulsive aspect of traditional society. We first hear of such an act in Genesis 34, when after Jacob’s daughter Dinah was seduced by a man of Shechem, after which his sons Simeon and Levi instigated the slaughter of the town’s men. But Jacob denounced the act and still reproached his sons for it from his deathbed.

The Hebrew Bible reports the practice of honor killing, but abhors it. Muslims remain divided on the subject. Strictly speaking, it is true that Islamic law forbids a Muslim family from killing an adulteress or a woman who has had relations with a non-Muslim man. But that is only because Islamic law specifies that Islamic courts, rather than families, should supervise the killing. It is not that women (and sometimes men) should not be killed for the crime of illicit sexual relations, but rather that the Islamic courts should arrange the killing.

For this reason, Islamic law views quite leniently honor killings that accomplish what the courts would have done given the opportunity, and many Islamic commentators do not see why families should wait for the courts at all. Until recently, Jordan gave "honor" killers sentences of as little as six months under Article 340 of the Jordan Penal Code, which stated: "Anyone catching his wife or one of his immediate family in a flagrant act of fornication with another person, and kills, injures or harms both or either of them, will benefit from the exculpating excuse ..."

Jordan's King Abdullah succeeded in revising this language, but as the Associated Press reported last year, "attempts to introduce harsher sentences for honor killings have been blocked in Jordan's parliament, where the predominantly conservative Bedouin lawmakers argue that lesser penalties [than honor killings] would lead to tolerating of promiscuity."

Islamic clerics, to be sure, tend to favor the idea that they rather than families should do the killing. According to a traditional ruling cited by Dr Mohammed Fadel and frequently posted on Islamic sites,
The prohibition against applying a legal penalty without legal authority (bi ghayri sultan) and without witnesses; cutting off the means to shedding the blood of a Muslim based merely upon the claim of his accuser, the one seeking the shedding of the accused's blood. [In this case] the truth of the claim would be known only by [the accuser's] own statement and Allah, may He be glorified and sanctified, has made the life of a Muslim a precious thing, and has made the sin in taking it great as well. Therefore, it [legal punishment] is permissible only under the conditions in which Allah has permitted it. [Application of legal punishments] is exclusively for the government so that it may apply that which Allah has commanded in His book or on the tongue of His Prophet.
There is no question that flogging and execution of adulterers is mandated by the Koran (eg, Sudra 4:15). As I observed in another context, this point is so clear in Islamic law that Professor Tariq Ramadan refused to condemn the practice in a televised debate with then French Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy.

All Islamic commentary on the subject, though, applies to the behavior of Muslims in a country under Islamic rule in which the only only law is Islamic law. If no Islamic courts are available, what should an individual Muslim do? Is it then permissible to take the law into one's own hands? We have no clear record of Islamic jurisprudence on the subject, for only in recent years have large numbers of Muslims come to live in non-Muslim countries. But the reticence of Islamic clergy in the West to denounce honor killings is noteworthy.

The rest is here:
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/JC11Ak04.html

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Re: Should Islam be blamed for 'barbaric' acts?
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:02am

Soren wrote on Sep 17th, 2008 at 9:25pm:
By Spengler

Honor killings are a repulsive aspect of traditional society.

The Hebrew Bible reports the practice of honor killing, but abhors it. Muslims remain divided on the subject. Strictly speaking, it is true that Islamic law forbids a Muslim family from killing an adulteress or a woman who has had relations with a non-Muslim man. But that is only because Islamic law specifies that Islamic courts, rather than families, should supervise the killing. It is not that women (and sometimes men) should not be killed for the crime of illicit sexual relations, but rather that the Islamic courts should arrange the killing.

I suspected this was the case when Abu insisted that Islam does not support vigilantism, but did not expand to say that these killing did not occur. I wondered what was being left out.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 10:55am

soren,

Quote:
We first hear of such an act in Genesis 34, when after Jacob’s daughter Dinah was seduced by a man of Shechem, after which his sons Simeon and Levi instigated the slaughter of the town’s men. But Jacob denounced the act and still reproached his sons for it from his deathbed.

So what's the Bible's Halachic punishment for adultery?

You try to claim the Bible doesn't permit honour killings, in fact it abhors it, yet Islam permits it apparently, because the Islamic law considers adultery a capital offense. News: The Bible also considers adultery a capital offense.

Deuteronomy 22:22 "If a man is found sleeping with another man's wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die."

Leviticus 20:10 "If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death."

Leviticus 21:9 "And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire." (
This isn't honour killing???
)

locutius,

Quote:
I suspected this was the case when Abu insisted that Islam does not support vigilantism, but did not expand to say that these killing did not occur. I wondered what was being left out.

These killings do occur in Muslim countries sadly, but not with the blessings of Islam, they do so out of their own tribalist ignorance and in direct opposition to Islam.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 11:01am

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

So yeah, these honour killings aren't gonna happen.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 11:09am

Quote:
The Hebrew Bible reports the practice of honor killing, but abhors it.

What you quoted easel is not from the Hebrew Bible, it's from the Greek New Testament.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 11:14am

Ok, I was just speaking on behalf of my Christian upbringing, and recalling the part where Jesus stopped an honour killing.

You are free to attack other religions at whim, abu.

That does not excuse the barbaric acts within Islam.

It's like if I kill someone and say, "Well that guy there did it too 10 years ago, so what's wrong with me doing it?"

You could never use that as a defence in a court of law. Stop passing the buck and defend your religion, rather than attacking others and trying to divert the attention.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 11:18am

Abu - those quotes are form the OT, that's for jews.
The New T is for christians.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #7 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 11:31am

Quote:
Abu - those quotes are form the OT, that's for jews.
The New T is for christians.

That's right sprint, and soren clearly stated:

Quote:

And then proceeded to give an example from the Hebrew Bible (ie. the  Old Testament).

Easel is the only person who rolled in the issue of the New Testament, so perhaps you should clarify that distinction for him.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 12:11pm

Thank you abu, my limited intellect and powers of perception have been rectified by your great insight.

Maybe you can use the same to show yourself that this is a discussion about Islam and it's alleged barbarism and taking the thread off course and on to a discussion about Judaism/Christianity is not the intended direction I assume this article was leading to.

Quote:

Anyway, back to Islam.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #9 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 12:30pm

Easel,

Quote:
That does not excuse the barbaric acts within Islam

But the acts are not 'within' Islam, they are outside of Islam.

By this same twisted logic, Christianity is responsible for homosexuality, because Christian societies condone homosexuality. And in fact Muslim societies don't even condone this barbaric activity. It is committed by some criminals within the society, but in all countries that I know of, it's illegal. Yes it might have light punishments, but the same goes for some Christian countries also, and the point is?

Quote:
taking the thread off course and on to a discussion about Judaism/Christianity is not the intended direction

If it weren't the intended direction of the thread, then it wouldn't have been mentioned in the original post. It *was* mentioned, and therefore it's quite relevant to discuss it in the thread.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 12:40pm

The acts of violence are sanctioned by Islamic spiritual leaders.

Christianity is not responsible for homosexuality, God is. If a Catholic condones homosexuality, is he/she speaking on behalf of the Church? Or is it only the clergy and the pope who can do that?

I'm pretty sure sodomy between two consenting adults is not illegal in Australia anymore, but I could easily be wrong. The Australian Defence Force accepts gays and lesbians and they were even officially represented at the Mardi Gras, so I think it has government backing in this country.

The article very, very briefly touched on aspects which were not Islamic, and admitted the acts did take place, which were then condemned within the same book, if you read the article.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #11 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 1:27pm

I guess the term 'barbaric' is subjective. As is the term 'justice'. Do I consider the killing of another individual because they have committed adultery barbaric? Yes I do. Therefore by default, I consider it unjust. It is an extreme punishment. More reflective of misoginistic insecurities and/or an arrogant assumption that women are more corruptable than men. Something to do with the fall from grace.

In this specific example, adultery, and this specific Islamic Law that deals with the adulterer than yes, Islam is accountable, but it seems comfortable to be accountable. After all it is their system practiced on their believers. I can't say accepted by their believers with complete confidence however as a penalty of death can be applied to those wishing to leave the belief system. That is my understanding anyway.

HOWEVER

Is the intension to extend this into Islam being responsible for terrorism. By and large I would have to say no. I don't believe you can envelope the entire system in this way. Even though the faith allows for militant and brutal behaviour. The ones responsible are the individuals and the organisations that lay claim to these actions.

The lack of a clear and vocal statement from the various Islamic world leaders that these terrorists are political rather than religious soldiers implies the Faith's concent. To other muslims and the rest of the world. Make it clear that they are NOT going to paradise for murder. The lack of will to bring these groups to justice is also damming to the muslim nations that give them sanctuary. IF I were a person of faith I would want someone bringing my faith down to be bought to heel, hunted down and punished. The same as if a group carried out murder and mayham and claimed it was in the name of the Australian people be hunted down and eliminated.

In exactly the same way that the criminal allied soldiers do not represent their country. The difference is that they are being publically tried and punished and any reasonable person secular or religious would support and welcome that.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2008 at 1:36pm by locutius »  

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #12 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 1:43pm

abu_rashid wrote on Sep 18th, 2008 at 12:30pm:
And in fact Muslim societies don't even condone this barbaric activity. It is committed by some criminals within the society,

Interesting that the act of sex between two consenting adults of the same sex is a barbaric activity but killing someone for a misjudgement is acceptable. In fact righteous if decided by council.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #13 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 2:30pm

Quote:
the act of sex between two consenting adults of the same sex is a barbaric activity

I think you're a little mixed up there mate. What I referred to as a barbaric activity is the so called 'honour killings'.

Quote:
but killing someone for a misjudgement is acceptable. In fact righteous if decided by council.

If you're talking about capital punishment for adultery, it must be determined by a court, not by a council. And it must have at least 4 eyewitnesses, or a confession. Perhaps we can link this back to the circumstantial evidence issue in the other thread... Islam has very stringent rules regarding evidence, when compared to the Western justice system.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #14 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 2:36pm

Easel,

Quote:
The acts of violence are sanctioned by Islamic spiritual leaders.

They are? Can you bring me a reputable Islamic 'spiritual leader' who's condoned honour killings?

Quote:
so I think it has government backing in this country.

That's precisely the point. Just because a government in a largely Christian country condones it, doesn't mean Christianity condones it. Likewise just because a government in a largely Muslim country has light punishments for murderers who commit these [dis]honour killings, doesn't mean it's condoned by Islam.

Quote:
The article very, very briefly touched on aspects which were not Islamic, and admitted the acts did take place, which were then condemned within the same book, if you read the article.

Actually it mentions the Hebrew Bible alone, indicating it's just talking about Jewish books, not Christian books. You must remember the Old Testament is a complete and seperate book by itself, used by Jews for thousands of years, without ever attaching the New Testament to it. The story mentioned is that of Jacob (pbuh), and Jacob (pbuh) lived in the time of the OT, he knew nothing about Christians, nor about their New Testament.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print