Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Divorce down, marriage up in Australia. (Read 1138 times)
bliss

Australian Politics

Canberra
Divorce down, marriage up in Australia.
Aug 29th, 2008 at 8:17pm

Divorce down, marriage up

By Samuel Cardwell

August 29, 2008 06:30pm
Article from: AAP

Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

AUSTRALIA is experiencing something of a marriage renaissance, with divorce rates dropping and marriage rates starting to rise.

Figures released today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics showed there were 47,963 divorces last year, a drop of 6 per cent on the 2006 figure of 51,375.

The crude divorce rate (divorces per thousand people) also fell from 2.5 to 2.3 per cent over the same period.

The number of divorces granted in Australia has been steadily dropping since 2001 when the number of divorces peaked at 55,330 and the crude divorce rate was 2.9 per cent.

Joint divorce applications have been steadily rising over the past 20 years and were up 3.4 per cent in 2007 while applications filed by the husband or the wife were down 2.0 and 1.3 per cent respectively.

Despite the drop, it seems wives are still more likely to end a marriage, with 38 per cent of divorces filed by women, 33 per cent filed jointly and 27 per cent filed by men.

Australia's marriage rate has been in steady decline for the past 20 years.

But the drop in the divorce rate since 2001 has been accompanied by a small increase in the number of marriages in the same period.

ABS figures from 2006 showed a 0.2 per cent increase in the crude marriage rate since 2001 when the rate bottomed out at 2.3 per cent.

The number of registered marriages in 2001 was 103,130. By 2006 this figure was up 11,092 to 114,222.

Despite this, the marriage rate was still 23.6 per cent lower in 2006 than it was in 1986.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Divorce down, marriage up in Australia.
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 8:47pm

Some time ago I read that most people who want to be divorced are now divorced.
I guess that may be one of the causes of the statistic ?

Either that or it is not so sexist now, so women are not so keen to split up. They DON'T automatically get an unequal split.
Smiley

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 11:56pm

bliss wrote on Aug 29th, 2008 at 8:17pm:
Divorce down, marriage up

Why not tie the knot. Can't be happy all your life I suppose. Wink

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 10:13am

Given the high divorce rate, what do you think of the idea of a legal minimum of a 12 month engagement? Would it cut down the divorce rate? Would it make any difference to people's lives?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 11:38am

A 12 month engagement wouldn't make any difference - but those figures on divorce are pretty black and white.  There are so many people who are separated, but either couldn't be bothered divorcing, can't afford to or hope that eventually they might reconcile for the sake of the children.

Plenty of these separated people have no desire to remarry - so find it easier to just drift along using the fact that they're still married as a good excuse not to let it happen again.

The ones who usually opt for divorce are those who have found someone else to make the same mistake again with.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print