Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Disqualified drivers caught outside court (Read 855 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Disqualified drivers caught outside court
Aug 28th, 2008 at 1:18pm

Typical, some people pay no heed to our laws at all.

"HE had just scored a three-month, wholly suspended jail term for disqualified driving and the judge was dismayed by his 'shocking traffic history'.

He was warned the threat of jail was real.

So what does he do the minute he's out of court? He hops in his car to drive away. Busted! More pictures of banned drivers being caught
Thai Hoc Nguyen was one of four disqualified or suspended motorists caught driving away from the Richlands Magistrate's Court during a covert traffic police sting yesterday.

Magistrate Phillip Austin had told Nguyen he was quite confident he would be back in court despite having just received a three-month, wholly suspended jail term.

The court was told Nguyen, 40, had already served prison terms for some of his previous nine disqualified driving convictions.

"You've got a shocking traffic history," Mr Austin said.

"I've got some reservations about you ... and only time will tell (if you can stay out of jail)."

With the words still ringing in his ears, Nguyen walked out of court and slipped behind the wheel of his car.

Seconds later covert police officers swooped. Nguyen tried to run away but was wrestled to the ground and handcuffed.

Prosecutor David Pollock said Nguyen was caught driving at Inala, in Brisbane's southwest, on July 18 and 25, less than a year after being released from jail.

"(Nguyen) gets picked up one week and gets picked up a week later (doing the same thing)," Mr Austin said. "You well know you need a licence to drive."

Nguyen jubilantly thanked his lawyer as he left the court, but appeared very agitated and anguished moments later as The Courier-Mail captured  his arrest.

Other motorists caught in yesterday's police dragnet were Michael Hazelwood, Kismet Fortuna Tanner and Briggitta Ropati.

Hazelwood had just received a two-year driving ban and $750 fine when he decided to drive away from court.

Hazelwood, who claimed his drink-driving conviction was the result of dumb luck, had argued he needed a licence to pay off the "thousands of dollars in fines" he had accrued.

Tanner was caught after she was fined $100 and disqualified for one month because she drove while her licence was suspended.

She told the court she could handle a one-month suspension but her subsequent arrest will result in a mandatory two-year licence disqualification if she is convicted.

Ropati, who was already on a licence suspension, was caught driving after having other charges against her adjourned to a later date.

Angry traffic police say disqualified motorists regularly drive in contempt of court-imposed bans.

In April, The Courier-Mail revealed Oxley police had arrested 11 banned motorists driving away from the same court.

Yesterday's operation is the latest in a series of similar covert stings staged outside courts at Caboolture, Beenleigh, Sandgate, Redcliffe, Ipswich and the Gold and Sunshine coasts in the past 15 months.

In July last year, people caught driving to and from court while disqualified were among more than 13,000 offenders arrested during an operation across the southeast. As part of Operation Contempt, which started in March last year, police nabbed unsuspecting motorists in four swoops."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24251612-952,00.html

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Re: Disqualified drivers caught outside court
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 1:23pm

Quote:
So what does he do the minute he's out of court? He hops in his car to drive away.

hey its tough being without wheels.. Lips Sealed

I hope I never lose my license...because I know I would not be a happy camper without my car.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 1:58pm

Treat them like the hoons. Crush their cars. And every subsequent car they are caught driving, until their license is reinstated.

It is tough without a car, but there is public transport. There are lots of people that don't use private or work vehicles, and have to muddle through. These people have demonstarted a blatant disregard for the road rules that are there for a reason.

No sympathy here.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 2:08pm

Hey Locutious, can I borrow your car?
I just have to go to court. Grin

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 2:32pm

That's good !Grin GrinJust let me finish this last 6 pack and I'll go steal one for ya.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print