Send Topic Print
Cartwheels banned (Read 581 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Cartwheels banned
Aug 27th, 2008 at 6:19pm

This is retarded. I've never heard of any injuries from cartwheels. Students do far more dangerous things at school, like playing cricket, running etc. Children need to take risks in order to learn.

School urged to rethink cartwheels ban

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/08/27/2347387.htm?section=australia

Australia's peak gymnastics body has urged a North Queensland primary school to reconsider a ban on students doing cartwheels and handstands in the playground.

Townsville's Belgian Gardens school banned the practice and parents say students have been threatened with suspension if they are caught doing unsupervised playground acrobatics.

Education Queensland has defended the ban, saying it is for the safety of students.

But Gymnastics Australia spokeswoman Jane Allen says it is over the top.

"We think it is a very harsh thing to do and we would encourage the school, rather than just banning it outright, to really look for some providers of developmental gymnastics programs - give the kids a real learning experience on how to do these things safely," she said.

Federal Education Minister Julia Gillard says she will look into the cartwheel ban.

Ms Gillard says she will examine the school's decision but she has told ABC Newsradio she was not proficient at cartwheels when she was a school student.

"Look, I'll have to have a look at that. I wasn't the world's sportiest kid," she said.

Yesterday, Queensland Premier Anna Bligh said she was surprised to hear about the school's ban.

Ms Bligh said the school was obviously taking student safety very seriously.

"I'd be interested to hear from this school what prompted them to take this action, because school communities by and large try to meet the standards that parents have in that community," she said.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

RecFisher

OzPolitic

Re: Cartwheels banned
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 8:06pm

another example of the ridiculous nanny state we now live in.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print