Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Baby Colin's suffering (Read 2497 times)
mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Baby Colin's suffering
Aug 22nd, 2008 at 9:33am

The incident of saving Colin the whale has been the biggest stuff up by government departments, National Parks & Wildlife and so called experts - if any decent ones were actually called.

This baby whale has been distressed and starving for a week - while these idiots hum and haa about his predicament.  Today he's being put down - one unsuccessful attempt has been made already and this poor animal has been cut badly, having difficulty breathing and is suffering unbearably.

Everyone has just sat around, scratched their heads and come up with half baked ideas - when help could have been summoned as early as a week ago.  We had experts at the Queensland Marine Park and we also know San Diego Zoo had successfully raised a baby whale and had the right formula - but no it was just all too difficult and put into the too hard basket.

We are an international disgrace.  This whale has been surrounded by media constantly, dragged from one end of Pittwater to another and had helicopters buzzing over his head 24/7 - so much for us being the great preservers of whales.

No attempt was made to feed this baby or take it out to sea where it could have been with other whales in the hope one would act as a surrogate mother.  Australia has just watched it suffer unnecessarily.

What a sad story to end this week and goes to show the cruelty and ignorance of human beings.

IP Logged

bliss

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: Baby Colin's suffering
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 9:37am

This is really sad..........not sure what the right thing to do is but still very sad. Cry

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 9:43am

Calm waters would be best for a struggling baby whale.

We should have just eaten it.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 9:54am

Mantra, I don't think what you've written is entirely true, no one wants to see this whale suffer, but how do you propose they feed it?

"We should always say that I may refrain from publishing a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed, but it's because I fear you. Don't for one moment think it's because I respect you." Richard Dawkins

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 9:59am

Sure it would give us a nice warm glow to help all animals, but we need to accept that we do not have any great degree of control over nature.

If it were to be saved, it would be purely symbolic, nice, but ultimately pointless.

I have to accept that we cannot save all creatures, everywhere, all the time, sometimes nature is cruel.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 12:20pm

Interfering with nature is usually regarded as a bad thing. You might save the whale, but what about all the animals that would otherwise get a feed off it? Think of all the poor Bull Sharks in the Gold Coast hinterland.

Plus, what are you going to do when it grows up and abandon's it's baby, while competing against good mothers for food?

IP Logged

RecFisher

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 9:50am

I'm with FD on this one.  Why do the tree-hugging do-gooders think the right thing to do is interfere with nature?  This was just a case of natural selection at work, so why interfere?  To see people bawling and carrying on like pork chops on the television made me feel ashamed to be human.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #7 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 9:56am

mantra wrote on Aug 22nd, 2008 at 9:33am:
The incident of saving Colin the whale has been the biggest stuff up by government departments, National Parks & Wildlife and so called experts - if any decent ones were actually called.

This baby whale has been distressed and starving for a week - while these idiots hum and haa about his predicament.  Today he's being put down - one unsuccessful attempt has been made already and this poor animal has been cut badly, having difficulty breathing and is suffering unbearably.

Everyone has just sat around, scratched their heads and come up with half baked ideas - when help could have been summoned as early as a week ago.  We had experts at the Queensland Marine Park and we also know San Diego Zoo had successfully raised a baby whale and had the right formula - but no it was just all too difficult and put into the too hard basket.

We are an international disgrace.  This whale has been surrounded by media constantly, dragged from one end of Pittwater to another and had helicopters buzzing over his head 24/7 - so much for us being the great preservers of whales.

No attempt was made to feed this baby or take it out to sea where it could have been with other whales in the hope one would act as a surrogate mother.  Australia has just watched it suffer unnecessarily.

What a sad story to end this week and goes to show the cruelty and ignorance of human beings.

Indeed this is a shocking and distressing situation for those who love animals and wildlife.

But from this very tragic situation maybe some good can come.

This must also mean they have not had to feed/save a orphaned whale before.

So some knowledge will come from this..and next time it may prove a much better outcome for the next orphan that is found...

Its heartwrenching.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 9:57am

freediver wrote on Aug 22nd, 2008 at 12:20pm:
Interfering with nature is usually regarded as a bad thing. You might save the whale, but what about all the animals that would otherwise get a feed off it? Think of all the poor Bull Sharks in the Gold Coast hinterland.

Plus, what are you going to do when it grows up and abandon's it's baby, while competing against good mothers for food?

Logic over sentiment FD..how unlike you.

You do have some good points. But but....

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 12:02pm

How did they try to kill it, and why did they fail?

Is it still alive?

If only there were some Japanese whalers cruising past, we could have invited them to come in and deal with the 'problem'.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 12:32pm

It has nothing to do with being a tree hugging do-gooder - it's all about putting an animal out of its misery rather than letting it suffer for a week without doing anything.

If they didn't intend to destroy the baby whale immediately - they should have at least attempted to feed it.  San Diego had a formula that could have been flown over within a day or so.  But no - it was too difficult for these idiotic bureaucrats to make a merciful decision.  There were people who had prepared huge feeding bags ready to give it a go.

Who cares how it would have met it's fate in the wild - it wasn't in the wild - it was amongst so called humanity.  Human intervention more than likely took her mother from her - so human intervention should have interfered and either euthanased her immediately or attempted to feed her.  If we had tried and failed - then the baby whale could have been euthanased and we would know that we did our best.

The first attempt with an overdose of anaesthetic was unsuccessful and the poor creature thrashed around distressed or in agony for a short period - the second dose hopefully killed it immediately - but who would know.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 12:40pm

So Colin is dead now? Did he sink?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #12 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 12:44pm

Yes FD - it is apparently dead and no it didn't sink - it was dragged somewhere or other for an autopsy.  The Government thinks they're going to make up for this debacle and have decided to have a whale rescue convention next year and be the world's leaders in whale rescue or rehabilitation or similar.

Too little too late.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 1:45pm

Yes FD - it is apparently dead and no it didn't sink - it was dragged somewhere or other for an autopsy.

I bet there's a BBQ involved.

IP Logged

bluebird

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 4:32pm

mantra wrote on Aug 24th, 2008 at 12:44pm:
Too little too late.

This is why our government sucks, they just couldn't be bothered trying another avenue in order to save little Colin. How sad! The worst is another whale was found not far from Colin believed to be his (her) mother, but who would know? Bloody hopeless.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print