Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Local Political Engagement (Read 839 times)
James Dale

Australian Politics

Local Political Engagement
Aug 18th, 2008 at 2:21pm

Hi everyone,

I am a University student writing a piece on local political engagement. I am interested to know if people know their local candidates and issues, compared to their engagement in the Obama and McCain election.

It would be great if you could post your thoughts and experiences from recent elections. I am particularily interested to hear from voters in the ACT, regarding the upcoming state election.

Thanks very much,
James

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Local Political Engagement
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 2:25pm

I tend to focus more on federal issues, and a little bit on state issues. I usually only get involved in local government on issues that affect me directly.

Good luck, and please let us know how you go.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 2:54pm

Hi JD,

I travel a lot and don't stay in one area long enough to really pay attention to the local issues. I pay more attention to federal and state politics.

That said, the current local issue in my area is extending the time for the tow away zones to free up space for peak hour traffic. I think it currently starts at 4.00pm and the council wants to change it to 3.00pm. Local businesses and socialites who don't work are against that proposal.

IP Logged

Exotic Cheese

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 10:08pm

At the moment WA have a choice between a guy who welcomed Condi Rice with hugs and kisses and a right wing party in complete disarray with some fat has been as the current leader running on the idea of banning 'drug paraphernalia'.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 8:23am

I'm still excited by the fact that Labor in Queensland if going to have some long overdue competition. While Goss was a needed change for Qld, the last years of his rule showed the arrogance of the untouchable and this was continued with Beatty. Now Captain Bligh will have to, I hope, work hard if she is to maintain the position. Not that I am a conservative voter but I actually see Qld Labor and Liberal as both conservative so I usually try to find an alternative AND mark all my own preferences.

Beatty was pathetic, sure he swelled the coffers, but left half the states infrastucture falling to bits. And he was a big GM crops man. God knows what harm he has bought to us all down the track. He won't have to worry. He will continue to be well looked after. I am partial to losing state government, and only having two tiers of govt, but admit to not knowing enough of the pro's and con's to be definitive about it. That's one of many reasons to be at this forum.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print