Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Sheikh Says Queen Is Less Than A Bitch! (Read 12742 times)
Soren
Gold Member

Re: Sheikh Says Queen Is Less Than A Bitch!
Reply #30 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 10:17pm

Acid Monkey wrote on Aug 14th, 2008 at 10:14pm:
Hi Soren. How's the coffee shop going?

Wink

Decaf - it's all a big zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #31 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 10:32pm

Quote:
So you translate it as scholar when the context implies that the English word scholar is the correct translation, and you translate it as scientist when the context requires it

I don't translate it as anything. I'm simply pointing out the word Aalim (which is what a learned Muslim, who has degrees from Islamic universities is called) is actually translated as Scientist. Goto google translator and type in Scientist, it'll spit back Aalim for you. You can accept, reject, other... thats just how it is.

Quote:
The Greek (I think) 'scientia' translates to knowledge, not science.

As does the Arabic noun علم (ilm) of which عالم (Aalim) is the active participle. This is what I'm trying to get across to you, you have a distinction between the words science and knowledge, but for many other cultures/languages they're just the same thing, and you must recognise your word 'science' is just the result of a slight semantic drift from knowledge, ever so slight, that most other cultures don't draw the distinction, yet still understand the exact same concepts. In Arabic for instance علم الإجتمعية (ilm al-ijtimaa'eyah) is translated as "Social Science", but would also be translated quite literally as "Knowledge of those things pertaining to societies".

Quote:
Same with many early European philosophers and scientists.

That's funny, I thought they were usually labeled heretics/witches/sorcerers etc. and burnt at the stake...

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #32 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 10:36pm

Soren wrote on Aug 14th, 2008 at 10:17pm:
Acid Monkey wrote on Aug 14th, 2008 at 10:14pm:
Hi Soren. How's the coffee shop going?

Wink

Decaf - it's all a big zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

What's this about your thread being deleted from AM? FD had the same thing done to him.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #33 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 10:30am

I don't translate it as anything. I'm simply pointing out the word Aalim (which is what a learned Muslim, who has degrees from Islamic universities is called) is actually translated as Scientist.

So someone else made the mistake - but the point still holds.

Goto google translator and type in Scientist, it'll spit back Aalim for you.

That doesn't mean that Aalim should always be translated back to science.

That's funny, I thought they were usually labeled heretics/witches/sorcerers etc. and burnt at the stake...

Some were, but the vast majority weren't. People tend to overplay the conflict (sound familiar?). Many famous early European scientists were Christians who sought to 'know God' through his work. Many historians credit this with 'igniting' the scientific revolution, by motivating research over a long period with no obvious benefits to humanity, or the researchers themselves.

What's this about your thread being deleted from AM? FD had the same thing done to him.

Same thread. Soren had a few responses in it.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #34 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 11:08am

Quote:
So someone else made the mistake - but the point still holds

علم التفسير (ilm ut-tafseer) is translated as "Science of Qur'anic Exegesis", so why shouldn't the one who practises that science be translated as scientist, especially seeing that's what the word is always translated as in all other contexts? Is the word Science sacred to you or something? Smiley Am I violating it's sacredness?

Quote:
Many famous early European scientists were Christians who sought to 'know God' through his work

Can you name any? Note, when I was talking about Muslims, I mean people who were the foremost scholars in the religion of Islam, were also the foremost scholars of other sciences. You think many famous early European scholars would fit this same category?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #35 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 11:13am

Are you claiming that there weren't scientists before Islam?

"We should always say that I may refrain from publishing a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed, but it's because I fear you. Don't for one moment think it's because I respect you." Richard Dawkins

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #36 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 11:24am

(ilm ut-tafseer) is translated as "Science of Qur'anic Exegesis", so why shouldn't the one who practises that science be translated as scientist

It shouldn't be translated as science.

Am I violating it's sacredness?

No, you are just using the wrong word.

Can you name any?

Here's a list:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/evolution/christian-foundation-science.html

Note, when I was talking about Muslims, I mean people who were the foremost scholars in the religion of Islam, were also the foremost scholars of other sciences. You think many famous early European scholars would fit this same category?

No, but only because of the timing. As a field of study gets more devloped, you need to devote more of your time to it in order to contribute. Take the ancient Greek philosophers for example. They covered a very borad range of topics in a single day. You could probably have learnt everything in the field of what is now calle dscience in one day.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #37 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 11:54am

jordan,

Quote:

Is that what you understood from our discussion so far?

freediver,

Quote:
It shouldn't be translated as science.

You're entitled to your opinion. As far as I'm aware you don't know much about the Arabic language, so I fail to see how you can make that call.

Quote:
No, you are just using the wrong word.

The fact you consider the word wrong, without having even a rudimentary understanding of the language involved, indicates that you have a preconceived idea of where the word should fit in. Christianity and Judaism calls their men of knowledge 'Scholars' or 'Academics', they're religions, and so is  Islam, so Islam should also. Not very scientific of you.

Quote:
Here's a list:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/evolution/christian-foundation-science.html

That list is amusing.

Russian Orthodox Communists? Jewish Atheists?

Mendel is about the only one I would consider to fit the bill, as he was a monk. I was thinking of him when you mentioned it, but couldn't think of anyone else who could possibly be included.

I also find it quite surprising that a list of the 100 most influential scientists, past and present only seems to have European/Judaeo-Christian scientists. Sounds like somebody who's trying to draw some conclusions about the relationship between Christianity and science.

Quote:
No, but only because of the timing. As a field of study gets more devloped

The Muslim scientists developed their fields quite extensively. That's rubbish. The simple fact is there were few European scientists of any note until the Renaissance, as Christianity receded scientific knowledge advanced (Yes I'm using your old signature jordan) as Christianity had been a stifling force that prevented people from studying scientific issues, and it seems you can't accept this wasn't the case under Islam for some reason... So you're attempting to claim pretty much the same conditions existed in Christian Europe, what a laugh.

Quote:
You could probably have learnt everything in the field of what is now calle dscience in one day.

You certainly couldn't have learnt everything in a day that Muslim scientists did in their entire field.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #38 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 11:56am

abu_rashid wrote on Aug 15th, 2008 at 11:54am:
jordan,

Quote:

Is that what you understood from our discussion so far?

Do you always answer a question with a question?

"We should always say that I may refrain from publishing a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed, but it's because I fear you. Don't for one moment think it's because I respect you." Richard Dawkins

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #39 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 11:59am

I'm just curious which parts of the discussion led you to draw that conclusion, that's all. Don't wanna answer? It's ok Smiley

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #40 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 12:00pm

abu_rashid wrote on Aug 15th, 2008 at 11:59am:
I'm just curious which parts of the discussion led you to draw that conclusion, that's all. Don't wanna answer? It's ok Smiley

How about you answer my question?

With an answer instead of a question.

Don't wanna answer?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #41 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 12:04pm

As far as I'm aware you don't know much about the Arabic language, so I fail to see how you can make that call.

It's the English language, and the definition of science that interests me. I trust you can explain the meaning of the Arabic word. I have not contradicted your explanation of what the Arab word means.

So you're attempting to claim pretty much the same conditions existed in Christian Europe, what a laugh.

No I'm not.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print