Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Police as a popular theme for television (Read 1223 times)
Exotic Cheese

Australian Politics

Police as a popular theme for television
Aug 12th, 2008 at 12:43am

What are the sociological effects of this content on television?

It seems as if every single British export is a police or detective show. Most Australian productions seem very biased towards this kind of theme as well.

I think this probably has a detrimental effect on the population - although I have never discussed or given much thought to it as a specific subject, it's just something I assume.

Blue Heelers had a granny basher or murder every single show. Two new police dramas are being advertised on television. 'The force', 'border patrol' & 'customs' based reality shows could probably be argued for as a form of government propaganda.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Police as a popular theme for television
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 10:05am

I agree. They should make more shows about accountants instead. They could even make them educational. It would give young viewers a better start in life.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

RecFisher

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 9:30pm

I'm SO over police and crime shows on TV.  How many different bloody CSI's can we take!

I like FD's suggestion.  If anyone wants to follow me around work with a video camera for a week, let me know.  Would be rivetting television  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

bluebird

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 9:53pm

I quite like border security. But, I have always liked watching The Bill. Its the british police show.
CSI and border patrol I never really got into. I liked blue heelers too.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 9:59pm

Law and Order is good. The others seem dodgy, poor acting etc. I still watch the Bill for some reason, even though it's turned into a soap opera.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 10:06pm

I'm not really into cop shows although I was an avid follower of White Collar Blue when it was still on - mainly because my friend was the continuity director on the series.

The West Wing was a particular favourite of mine, along with Babylon 5, ST DS9, ST Voyager, ST TNG and the new series of Doctor Who. But I digress.....

Wink

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 4:45pm

As a kid, I would always watch Homocide with my dad. It was about the only program I was allowed to sit up after 8.30 for. Then there was ADAM-12, and Hill Street Bues, until it turned into soap opera. Not much into police shows overall though.

I prefer cartoons and documentaries. Difficult to go past Groening or Attenborough.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print