Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Vietnam War - Historical Amnesia (Read 7654 times)
Exotic Cheese

Australian Politics

Re: Vietnam War - Historical Amnesia
Reply #30 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 2:43am

mozzaok wrote on Aug 5th, 2008 at 10:03am:
I am amazed at how some here seem to believe that the North Vietnamese had the logistical capability to wage war on a massive scale without foreign aid.

Didn't say that.

Quote:
Here is a small quote from the Wikipedia page on the Vietnam war.

"Support by the Soviet bloc and China

Communist bloc support was vital for prosecution of the war in the South. North Vietnam had relatively little industrial base. The gap was filled primarily by China and Russia. The Soviet Union was the largest supplier of war aid, furnishing most fuel, munitions, and heavy equipment, including advanced air defense systems. China made significant contributions in medicines, hospital care, training facilities, foodstuffs, and infantry weapons.

Since China bordered Vietnam, it was an immensely important conduit of material on land, although the Soviets also delivered some of its aid by sea. Soviet aid outstripped that of China, averaging over half a billion dollars per year in the later stages of the war, with some $700 million in 1967 alone.[7] China provided an estimated 150 million to 200 million annually, along with such in-kind aid as the deployment of thousands of troops in road and railway construction in the border provinces.[8] China also provided radar stations and airfields where North Vietnamese aircraft could marshall for attack, or flee to when in trouble against American air forces. These airbases were off-limits to American retaliation.[9]

The railway network in the Chinese provinces bordering North Vietnam was of vital importance in importing war material. American Rules of Engagement forbid strikes against this network for fear of provoking Chinese intervention. Thousands of Chinese troops (the PLA's 1st and 2nd Divisions) made important contributions to Hanoi's war effort- building or repairing hundreds of miles of track and numerous other facilities such as bridges, tunnels, stations and marshalling yards. Chinese troops also built bunkers and other fortifications, and manned dozens of anti-aircraft batteries. In all, some 320,000 Chinese soldiers served in Vietnam during the war.[10]"

Plus a link to the page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLF_and_PAVN_logistics_and_equipment

Yeah North Vietnam got military equipment from the north.

Excuse me while I remember the time line again...

Country split in two
-
North Vietnam sit around doing nothing
-
US attempt to turn South Vietnam into Panama or El Salvador (we can continue the list)
-
The US remove South Vietnam from the world approved election that would have unified Vietnam under the 'North' Vietnamese government
-
Having sat, literally, through years of slaughter the Vietnamese people finally implement violence as a dominant method of defense
-
Crumbling under the weight of the population the US kill off the dictator and run a series of military juntas
-
Still unable to dominate the region they invade the country South Vietnam, then attack North Vietnam and in the end drop more bombs than in all of WW2, kill 6+ million people and leave the children of peasant farmers with peeling skin and no eyes at birth.

In a world which lacked hypocrisy or at least operated on basic moral principles every decent society on earth should have been sending some form of aid to, if not North Vietnam, than the nationalist Vietnamese movement.

When things started tumbling down for Russia and they started selling everything, one valuable item was the internal records. It spawned virtually a whole academic field just looking through trying to find justifications for bullshit the US pulled off during the century. Combine this with declassified US records, i.e. Pentagon papers.

We know what they were all thinking and who was talking to who, or lack there of. Find the part where it was a magical battle of ideology, find the part where Ho Chi Minh was just an agent of the 'mother land', find the part where the spread of crazy communism! was violently making its way south.

footnote: China and Russia didn't like each other at the time.

Quote:
I am always opposed to war, but I do not ascribe to the simplistic view that one side or the other, is ever solely to blame.

Like most things, it is about the shades of grey, black and white can not provide the full picture.

People need to let go of poor schooling, the massive 80s propaganda (thanks Chuck Norris), revisionist history and the fairy tale of most of the poo that supposedly happened under the umbrella of the "cold war".

There could not be a more clear example of "the supreme crime of aggression" in the last 60 years... except for all the other times the US did it.  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Exotic Cheese

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 2:55am

Another observation similar to the original topic...

By the late 50s the US had directly killed at least 70,000 Vietnamese people. Find a recount or explanation of the Vietnam war in American literature that doesn't first mention that 58,000 US soldiers died (for the entirety of the conflict) before mentioning, if at all, the deaths of anyone else.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #32 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 7:31am

Exotic Cheese wrote on Aug 6th, 2008 at 2:43am:
There could not be a more clear example of "the supreme crime of aggression" in the last 60 years... except for all the other times the US did it.

Doubtless the clearest example of lethal American hubris, replete as it is with its dramatic nemesis in the form of ultimate defeat and an ignominious withdrawal.

"In the end there were just too many to kill".

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #33 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 8:43am

I can see you guys are 'Grey Blind'.

Few have been more consistently critical of the arrogant and criminal behaviour of US foreign policy since WW2 than myself.

I raise your criticism for merely pointing out that they are not alone in promoting ideological conflicts which cost innocents dearly.

I still find it staggering that anyone can demonise so completely one side of a conflict, without even a cursory examination of what mitigating circumstances were involved.
It denigrates arguments  into being  more like the ideological spruiking, which was at the root of the initial conflicts.

To categorise the west as totally wrong, is to ignore that communism had any expansionist agenda also.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #34 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 9:08am

I was recently watching a dvd of the famous Frost / Nixon interview and was amazed to hear Nixon blaming Johnson for the bombing of Vietnam – while totally ignoring his own covert bombing campaign (Operation Menu, which he’d tried to keep from the American people) that saw 2.75 million tons of bombs dropped – nearly 3 times as many as Johnson’s Operations Flaming Dart and Rolling Thunder.

Nixon’s campaign hastened the destabilization of Cambodia and the rise of the Khmer Rouge that went on to inflict a killing machine on the Cambodian people, the likes of which hadn’t been seen since Nazi Germany.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #35 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 9:26am

mozzaok wrote on Aug 6th, 2008 at 8:43am:

I still find it staggering that anyone can demonise so completely one side of a conflict, without even a cursory examination of what mitigating circumstances were involved.
It denigrates arguments  into being  more like the ideological spruiking, which was at the root of the initial conflicts.

Just being even-handed is it?

IP Logged

Exotic Cheese

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 3:59pm

mozzaok wrote on Aug 6th, 2008 at 8:43am:

Few have been more consistently critical of the arrogant and criminal behaviour of US foreign policy since WW2 than myself.

I raise your criticism for merely pointing out that they are not alone in promoting ideological conflicts which cost innocents dearly.

Like the Soviet expansion into Eastern Europe and central Asia.

Quote:

What were the mitigating circumstances?

North Vietnamese aggression? Ho Chi Minh as an agent for the Kremlin?

"The U.S invasion of South Vietnam was just as much an invasion as the Russian invasion of Afghanistan. If anyone else had done it thats how we would have described it"

Quote:

To categorise the west as totally wrong, is to ignore that communism had any expansionist agenda also.

What communism?

The definition of communism that the Soviets and the US agreed upon for differing reasons? aka Bolshevism/Leninism/Maoism/not actually communism?

'Communism' can't have an expansionist agenda, only Soviet Russia can, and there are plenty of examples but Vietnam was not one example as we now know from the internal records of both countries.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print