Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: most effective attacks on our freedom of speech?

Muslims preventing people from mocking Muhammed    
  11 (55.0%)
Journalists not reporting some ASIO intel ops    
  4 (20.0%)
Something else    
  5 (25.0%)

Total votes: 20
« Created by: freediver on: Oct 9th, 2014 at 12:43pm »

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 59
Send Topic Print
Is Islam against free speech? (Read 158127 times)
Soren
Gold Member

Re: Is Islam against free speech?
Reply #375 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 9:37pm

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 31st, 2014 at 7:47pm:
Soren wrote on Oct 31st, 2014 at 2:13pm:

Anything which is more recent than 2006, Soren?   

8 Years. What has changed in Islam in the last 8 years, thicky?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #376 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 10:37pm

freediver wrote on Oct 31st, 2014 at 6:51pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Oct 31st, 2014 at 1:00pm:
freediver wrote on Oct 31st, 2014 at 12:34pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Oct 31st, 2014 at 8:40am:
freediver wrote on Oct 30th, 2014 at 7:15pm:
Like I already acknowledged when I first said that Gandalf, I do not have a poll so I am not going to go into detail.

It's the same evidence I have been presenting throughout this thread. Even your own words reflect very badly on the muslim community.

You're quite happy to assume something negative about a group of people with no evidence. Right gotcha.

There is a word for that too, it starts with P

I said no poll Gandalf. No no evidence. I have presented the evidence several times over in this thread. I have summarised the evidence several times over - basically each time you accuse me of having no evidence. Not being able to produce evidence in the form you demand is not the same as having no evidence.

Yes, I've looked back over your evidence. Essentially, it's you making things up about things others have said.

Here's a challenge: why don't you quote your evidence in one post for everyone to read?

Here you go Karnal:

freediver wrote on Oct 22nd, 2014 at 7:25am:
Quote:
crap. Not one.

OK, once more for Gandalf - here is some of the evidence I have presented of Muslims chipping away at our freedom of speech.
Non-Muslims literally fear for their life if they openly depict and mock Muhammed.
Muslims trying to kill people who openly depict and mock Muhammed.
Muslims publicly threatening to behead people who depict and mock Muhammed.
Muslims using legal processes (eg the OIC) to make it a crime to mock Muhammed.
You trying to make the case for making it a crime to mock religion, and insisting the majority of Australians agree with you.
In this context, the absence of Muslims standing up for freedom of speech is not absence of evidence. It is absence of counter-evidence, where counter-evidence would be expected if you had a case to make. There are no 'good' Muslims in this debate. Just bad Muslims, and Muslims who stand idly by while freedoms are stripped away on their behalf.

Quote:
By taking her statement about a *MINORITY* of muslims being of concern vis-a-vis our freedoms  (which everyone, including me agrees with) as evidence that *MAINSTREAM* muslims are (and here's your bs quote again) "chipping away at our freedoms at every opportunity".

Can you qupote me saying this about her? I have already pointed this out plenty of times - I was using that as evidence of what non-MUslims (even the most sympathetic ones) think.

Quote:
The news is no less alarming on the question of freedom of speech. Seventy-eight percent support punishment for the people who earlier this year published cartoons featuring the Prophet Mohammed. Sixty-eight percent support the arrest and prosecution of those British people who "insult Islam." When asked if free speech should be protected, even if it offends religious groups, 62 percent of British Muslims say No, it should not.

The scary reality is that only three percent of British Muslims "took a consistently pro-freedom of speech line on these questions."

There you go Gandalf. Do you think Australian Muslims are any less out of step with the non-Muslim community than their British co-religionists? Before you accuse me of misinterpreting the results, you yourself claimed that Australians 'begrudgingly' acknowledged people's right to publish those cartoons.

But, FD, your "evidence" consists entirely of your own words.

If you want to be more like Y, you should just tell us that Moslem = a follower of Islam and stop teasing us so.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #377 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 10:58pm

Soren wrote on Oct 31st, 2014 at 9:37pm:

Lots. For the men  flared trousers, mustaches, and hennaed beards for a start. Embroidered scullcaps or a nice tassled fez are optional for lounging under a tree with the hubbly bubbly.

For the ladies, black is back in burqas and accessories. Next season, I predict the Fatima-inspired look will take over the runways. I’m excited.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #378 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 11:30pm

Soren wrote on Oct 31st, 2014 at 9:37pm:

Much has changed for Muslims though, hasn't it, Soren?

As the survey is about the attitudes of Muslims not the attitudes of a religion, I'd have thought that something more recent might tell us about the attitudes of Muslims today.  The survey taken in 2006 was a snapshot of attitudes in 2006, Soren, not 2014.

Do you really believe that Muslim attitudes are set in stone?    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #379 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 7:47am

Hey Brian, do you think people should have a right to criticise and mock religion?

Quote:

"Behead those who insult the prophet".

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1414724514/14#14

Quote:
The children promise to die fighting to end democracy in Australia, replacing it with a caliphate ruled by Islamic law, Seven claims.
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2014 at 8:31am by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #380 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 10:20am

freediver wrote on Nov 1st, 2014 at 7:47am:
Hey Brian, do you think people should have a right to criticise and mock religion?

Quote:

"Behead those who insult the prophet".

Yes, FD, but you really need to post that one as a photo to capture the sheer anger and zealotry of the toddler who held up the sign.

You might want to run it past Y before you use his evidence. Mind you, there’s a few good Bible quotes you can include too. See Y for details.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #381 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 2:02pm

I don't think they have a right, no.  A privilege, perhaps, yes.   Remember, in Australia there is only an implied right to Freedom of Speech, FD.

Wouldn't a better question be though, "do you think that it is right for people to criticise and mock religion?"

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #382 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 2:30pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 1st, 2014 at 2:02pm:

I don't think they have a right, no.  A privilege, perhaps, yes.   Remember, in Australia there is only an implied right to Freedom of Speech, FD.

True, we have no bill of rights in Australia, and the constitutipn’s keeping mum on the specifics of free speech.

But of course people have the liberty in Australia to criticize and mock belief systems. The question here is not a legal one, but an ethical one: should people criticize and mock belief systems they know nothing about?

Personal vilification/libel/defamation, etc, are different. Individuals do have protection under civil law, as do corporations.

Religions and dead religious figureheads, however, are fair game.

I hope this cheers you up a bit, FD. You seem a bit unhappy these days. Is it Abu?

Don’t worry, you’ll find a new Abu eventually.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #383 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 2:59pm

Wouldn't a better question be though, "do you think that it is right for people to criticise and mock religion?" 

You misunderstood the question Brian. Was that deliberate?

Do you think people should have the right to criticise and mock religion?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #384 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 5:22pm

freediver wrote on Nov 1st, 2014 at 2:59pm:

You misunderstood the question Brian. Was that deliberate?

No.

Quote:
Do you think people should have the right to criticise and mock religion?

Should have a right?  Perhaps.   I am undecided.  The problem with changing it from a privilege to a right allows it to be more easily abused, as the abuse would come from people such as yourself, FD who would use it to persecute and offend innocents.

Why don't you answer my questions?  Do you think it's right that people abuse other's over the issue of Religion?    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #385 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 5:52pm

Personal abuse is against the rules Brian.

See Gandalf, even Brian cannot bring himself to publicly take the stance you attribute to a "vast majority" of Australians. Is any of this sinking in?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #386 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 8:21pm

freediver wrote on Nov 1st, 2014 at 5:52pm:

See Gandalf, even Brian cannot bring himself to publicly take the stance you attribute to a "vast majority" of Australians. Is any of this sinking in?

Oh, FD, you’re such a tease. G is talking about polling on changing the Racial Villification Act. I remember seeing the figures published in the Herald and reported on 7.30 - all in the 70% range. Morgan, Newspoll, Galaxy. The numbers were put to Liberal politicians on Q&A. They were not denied. The very reason the Libs reversed their position on changing the Act was because of internal Liberal polling on the issue.

A majority of Australians do not want the current villification laws changed to protect people like Andrew Bolt. This is common knowledge.

Why do you seek to deny this, FD? Does it threaten you in some way?
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2014 at 8:44pm by Mattyfisk »  

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #387 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 9:06pm

Reserving judgement doesn't mean I have decided one way or the other, FD.  That does not mean I necessarily disagree with what Gandalf has said, either.   Don't attempt to put words in my mouth which aren't there, thank'ee very much.   You're being dishonest in doing so.  I do agree with Gandalf in his character assessment of you. 

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #388 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 9:19pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 1st, 2014 at 9:06pm:

Reserving judgement doesn't mean I have decided one way or the other, FD. 

Yes, but I think you’ll find that’s spineless apologism.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #389 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 9:22pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Nov 1st, 2014 at 9:19pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Nov 1st, 2014 at 9:06pm:

Reserving judgement doesn't mean I have decided one way or the other, FD. 

Yes, but I think you’ll find that’s spineless apologism.

Oh, is it?  I thought it was not rushing to judgement on the basis of intolerance, hatred, bigotry and persecution.   Have I got that wrong?    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 59
Send Topic Print