Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: most effective attacks on our freedom of speech?

Muslims preventing people from mocking Muhammed    
  11 (55.0%)
Journalists not reporting some ASIO intel ops    
  4 (20.0%)
Something else    
  5 (25.0%)

Total votes: 20
« Created by: freediver on: Oct 9th, 2014 at 12:43pm »

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 59
Send Topic Print
Is Islam against free speech? (Read 158267 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Is Islam against free speech?
Reply #345 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 1:25pm

Quote:
............makes it look like you are trying to misrepresent what I said.

And that, of course, is something you would never do, is it, freediver?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #346 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 3:17pm

Aussie wrote on Oct 27th, 2014 at 1:25pm:
Quote:
............makes it look like you are trying to misrepresent what I said.

And that, of course, is something you would never do, is it, freediver?

Don’t answer this, FD. It’s a trick question.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #347 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 4:14pm

freediver wrote on Oct 27th, 2014 at 1:14pm:
I believe they are there, in the Koran. In what sense do you not 'believe' them?

The crap you spout to insist all muslims must be murderous, rapist arseholes are not in the Quran - eg the Qurayza executions.

Perhaps you should quote the whole thing. Maybe even include a link.

You said in two posts 1. muslims are chipping away at our core values and 2. muslims are taking the side against freedom "at every opportunity".

If you don't believe this applies to the majority of muslims in Australia, just say so and we can end this right now.

While we're at it, how do you feel about this claim?

Quote:
A survey saying a massive majority of Australians want the government to place religion beyond criticism or mockery does...

The claim is a perfect interpretation of what people are saying. You can't mock religion without mocking the people who follow it. I have no idea what non-existent straws you are trying to split, but it reeks of rank hypocricy. Really, your desperation to obfuscate the bleeding obvious, just to avoid any risk that non-muslims might be "as bad" as muslims, couldn't be more pathetic

Is there anything confusing or 'not straight' about that Gandalf?

Yes the bit about me "trying to reinterpret their responses".

One of those issues is ambiguity - the same ambiguity we get from your refusal to elaborate on when it should be illegal to depict and mock Muhammed. In the case of the survey, this is a flaw that cannot now be undone. In your case, it is a continued and deliberate effort at obfuscation.

If you could just see yourself FD, this hypocritical dance is trully a sight to behold. When Malaysians answer a consequence-free yes/no question about apostates, all the wrath of FD's judgment comes down on them - straight away they are murderous, religious zealots - "little Hitlers" in fact - and any attempts to rationalise their responses is instantly branded as the the most heinous of spineless apologetics. Now we have "enlightened" non-muslims giving inconvenient responses to questions on freedom of speech  - clearly expressing their desire to put religion beyond mockery, guilty of the same grave crime of "siding against freedom" that only muslims should be guilty of, and suddenly FD is all nuanced about it.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #348 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 7:11pm

Quote:
The crap you spout to insist all muslims must be murderous, rapist arseholes are not in the Quran - eg the Qurayza executions.

You have stated, in the context of Koranic verses about Muhammed's example being perfect, that this particular incident is a great example for Muslims to follow. I have never said that all Muslims are murderers, or rapists, or arseholes. Muhammed certainly was, as are many of his most eager followers, past and present, but I am happy to acknowledge that many Muslims to not take it to this level.

Quote:
You said in two posts 1. muslims are chipping away at our core values

Yes they are Gandalf. They have already made people afraid to depict and mock Muhammed. I notice you are backpedaling towards what I actually said now. This is a good first step, but ideally you should simply quote people rather than misrepresenting what they post by only using half the sentence and making the other half up.

Quote:
If you don't believe this applies to the majority of muslims in Australia, just say so and we can end this right now.

I think the majority of Muslims in Australia would be in favour of further eroding our freedom of speech, and that they can and do vote accordingly. Of course, without a proper survey, I am not going to get any more specific than this.

Quote:
The claim is a perfect interpretation of what people are saying.

No it isn't. It is stupid. It is not what "people" are saying, nor does it reflect the outcome of the survey, no matter how much liberty you take with the ambiguities.

Quote:
The claim is a perfect interpretation of what people are saying. You can't mock religion without mocking the people who follow it. I have no idea what non-existent straws you are trying to split, but it reeks of rank hypocricy.

As usual, the subtleties of balancing freedom of speech against other rights and freedoms is completely lost on you. No wonder you flip flop between labeling me an extremist and a hypocrite. As far as the law is concerned, you can do this. None of the laws designed to protect individual rights can be broadened to the protection of religion, or even historical religious figures, from mockery.

Quote:
Yes the bit about me "trying to reinterpret their responses".

I'll put this in the bleeding obvious category Gandalf. Rather than bothering me with this idiocy, please try to find one person here who agrees with your interpretation of the survey. Islam has blinded you to western values, to the point that you cannot even recognise them when you see them.

Quote:
If you could just see yourself FD, this hypocritical dance is trully a sight to behold. When Malaysians answer a consequence-free yes/no question about apostates, all the wrath of FD's judgment comes down on them - straight away they are murderous, religious zealots - "little Hitlers" in fact - and any attempts to rationalise their responses is instantly branded as the the most heinous of spineless apologetics.

That was a well conducted survey. It did not have the gaping flaws that yours does. Furthermore I did not need to do any reinterpreting of the results. They speak for themselves really. Though I acknowledge you made a valiant effort to reinterpret them, inventing ambiguities that are not there.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #349 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 10:05pm

And here you just cannot see any evidence, any actions as opposed to words and cheap talk, that this government cares a whit about freedom. If it’s still hardwired into the Coalition DNA, then there must have been a recent spontaneous mutation. The out-and-out broken promise on repealing 18C was appalling. And the justification for it, that a core Western value such as freedom of speech will have to give way to some nebulous desire not to offend a small segment of Australian society – and all the special interest lobby groups clamouring on their behalf – was close to pathetic.

For centuries people have had to do the hard work of trading off free speech against national security. Different people draw different lines on that (though the Abbott government went too far there, too, when it comes to journalists). But trading off free speech against ‘not offending people’, against some wanky social solidarity ideal summed up as ‘Team Australia’?
To give people with thin skins a veto over a core Western value? This is laughable, at least if you are remotely from a liberal traditio
n

Worse, not a single minister resigned from cabinet over this free speech backdown. You know, the sort of thing people do when concerns about freedom and whole-hearted support for free speech are hard-wired into their DNA. Nor is it clear that all that many Liberal backbenchers care that much about free speech. A few stalwarts here and there? Absolutely. But enough to feel the free speech DNA will be passed on to the next generation of Liberal MPs?
http://www.spectator.co.uk/australia/australia-features/9349742/freedoms-just-an...

Abbott and Brandis f**ed up badly with 18c.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #350 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 11:47pm

They made a compromise, Soren.  Politics is the art of compromise.   Obviously they decided getting the Muslim community onside over the new Terrorism Laws was more important than offending them by allow Islamophobes like you free reign.   Hang on a second, you do have free reign, so obvious 18c isn't as powerful as you seem to claim at stopping your freedom of speech, now is it?  Oh, dear, the contradictions!   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #351 - Oct 28th, 2014 at 9:20am

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 27th, 2014 at 11:47pm:
They made a compromise, Soren.  Politics is the art of compromise.   Obviously they decided getting the Muslim community onside over the new Terrorism Laws was more important than offending them by allow Islamophobes like you free reign.   Hang on a second, you do have free reign, so obvious 18c isn't as powerful as you seem to claim at stopping your freedom of speech, now is it?  Oh, dear, the contradictions!   Roll Eyes

Except they didn't get the 'Muslim community' on side.
Abbott gave people with thin skins a veto over a core Western value. He got boycotted for his efforts. I hope he comes to hi senses.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #352 - Oct 28th, 2014 at 9:38am

Soren wrote on Oct 28th, 2014 at 9:20am:
Brian Ross wrote on Oct 27th, 2014 at 11:47pm:

Except they didn't get the 'Muslim community' on side.
Abbott gave people with thin skins a veto over a core Western value. He got boycotted for his efforts. I hope he comes to hi senses.

Shurely shome mishtake. Abbott was simply listening to the Jewish lobby.

Freeedom, eh?

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #353 - Oct 28th, 2014 at 9:56am

polite_gandalf wrote on Oct 27th, 2014 at 4:14pm:

If you could just see yourself FD, this hypocritical dance is trully a sight to behold.

When Malaysians answer a consequence-free yes/no question about apostates, all the wrath of FD's judgment comes down on them - straight away they are murderous, religious zealots - "little Hitlers" in fact - and any attempts to rationalise their responses is instantly branded as the the most heinous of spineless apologetics.

Now we have "enlightened" non-muslims giving inconvenient responses to questions on freedom of speech  - clearly expressing their desire to put religion beyond mockery, guilty of the same grave crime of "siding against freedom" that only muslims should be guilty of, and suddenly FD is all nuanced about it.

The presentation to the world of 'moslem Malaysia' as an example tolerant ISLAM is a facade.

It is a superficial lie.

It is a falsehood.

Every moslem, deep within his heart wants to be just as murderous [and just as 'virtuous'] as Mohammed was.

Even 'the moslem' who exists within Malaysia.

But 'today' isn't a convenient time to expose his true intent and his true belief [character] to the world.

but sometimes it is just so very difficult for 'the moslem', to conceal, that he [really, really!!] is a moslem....

Quote:
Malaysia: Muslims accuse organizer of dog-petting event of apostasy, threaten to kill him
Robert Spencer      
Oct 22, 2014
http://www.jihadwatch.org/2014/10/malaysia-muslims-accuse-organizer-of-dog-petti...

Dictionary;
Muslim = = a follower of Islam.

ISLAMIC LAW....
"Ibn 'Umar related that the Messenger of Allah, upon whom be peace, said, "I have been ordered to kill the people until they testify that there is no god except Allah, and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, and they establish prayer and pay the zakah. If they do that, their blood and wealth are protected from me save by the rights of Islam. Their reckoning will be with Allah." (Related by al-Bukhari and Muslim.) "
fiqhussunnah/fus1_06

THE KORAN
"Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued. "
Koran 9.29

THE RELIGION OF PEACE

http://thereligionofpeace.com/

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #354 - Oct 28th, 2014 at 10:47am

freediver wrote on Oct 27th, 2014 at 7:11pm:
Yes they are Gandalf. They have already made people afraid to depict and mock Muhammed.

Are you going to continue being dishonest by using the deliberately ambiguous term "muslims are..." - or are you going to acknowledge we are only talking about a tiny minority? Its a very obvious point, but you clearly have great difficulty acknowledging it - which speaks volumes about your mentality.

I think the majority of Muslims in Australia would be in favour of further eroding our freedom of speech, and that they can and do vote accordingly.

Evidence please.

No it isn't. It is stupid. It is not what "people" are saying, nor does it reflect the outcome of the survey, no matter how much liberty you take with the ambiguities.

Rubbish. Only the most spectacular efforts in mental gymnastics could split hairs like this. Religions don't exist without people following them. You don't make abstract mockery of "religions" without mocking the people who follow it - because one doesn't exist without the other - obviously. You won't find anyone who considers the Danish cartoons as anything other than insulting or offending muslims, and most Australians said at the time they thought it was wrong to do so. And consistent with this, most Australians say they think it should be unlawful to mock people on the basis of religion.

But once again, we see FD masterfully steering the discussion into irrelevant minutiae, just to distract from the core issue. Merely mocking people on the basis of religion alone is clearly something that should be sacrosanct under FD ideology, and should be protected at all costs. By rejecting this, the majority of Australians are displaying the very spineless apologetics that FD rails against day in day out (as long as they are muslims or muslim apologists).

As usual, the subtleties of balancing freedom of speech against other rights and freedoms is completely lost on you. No wonder you flip flop between labeling me an extremist and a hypocrite.

You are an extremist, and you are a hypocrite.

Going against what a majority of Australians believe about balancing freedom with protecting minorities makes you an extremist - by simple definition.

And the fact that you spinelessly apologise for non-muslims chipping away at our freedoms - whether it be regarding them wanting people to be protected against offense based on their religion, or wanting an historical opinion to be made a thought crime - makes you a hypocrite.

Furthermore I did not need to do any reinterpreting of the results.

Grin Grin You said in a previous post that its anti-freedom - but only on the surface. Then you BS about some "flaws" that you have never elaborated on, and tried to dismiss the whole survey as not saying what it says.

Please tell me FD - how does believing people should not be insulted/offended on the basis of religion - somehow become not believing that people should not be insulted/offended on the basis of religion?

Good luck with trying to answer that and claim you are not the one reinterpreting the results at the same time.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #355 - Oct 28th, 2014 at 12:42pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Oct 28th, 2014 at 10:47am:
Please tell me FD - how does believing people should not be insulted/offended on the basis of religion - somehow become not believing that people should not be insulted/offended on the basis of religion?

Well, G, no one has the right to not be offended, you know.

I've never really understood what that means, but we just need to follow orders here.

Ask no questions tell no lies, eh?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #356 - Oct 28th, 2014 at 10:06pm

Quote:
Are you going to continue being dishonest by using the deliberately ambiguous term "muslims are..."

How is it ambiguous? Do I need to name names?

Quote:
or are you going to acknowledge we are only talking about a tiny minority?

How tiny? I believe my summary of my position on the matter covered pretty much everything.

Quote:
Evidence please.

You need evidence that what I say I think is what I actually think? This reminds me of your arguments about the Pew survey.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #357 - Oct 28th, 2014 at 11:08pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Oct 28th, 2014 at 10:47am:
I think the majority of Muslims in Australia would be in favour of further eroding our freedom of speech, and that they can and do vote accordingly.

Evidence please.

Being Muslim requires you to strive for sharia and the caliphate.

Sharia has no room for freedom of speech.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #358 - Oct 28th, 2014 at 11:18pm

freediver wrote on Oct 28th, 2014 at 10:06pm:
You need evidence that what I say I think is what I actually think?.

Don’t quote the 2007 FD, whatever you do, G. That would be very poor form.

Let’s let sleeping dogs lie, eh?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #359 - Oct 29th, 2014 at 10:10am

freediver wrote on Oct 28th, 2014 at 10:06pm:
You need evidence that what I say I think is what I actually think?

Evidence that Australian muslims vote in favour of eroding our freedoms.

Quote:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 59
Send Topic Print