Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: most effective attacks on our freedom of speech?

Muslims preventing people from mocking Muhammed    
  11 (55.0%)
Journalists not reporting some ASIO intel ops    
  4 (20.0%)
Something else    
  5 (25.0%)

Total votes: 20
« Created by: freediver on: Oct 9th, 2014 at 12:43pm »

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 59
Send Topic Print
Is Islam against free speech? (Read 158280 times)
Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Re: Is Islam against free speech?
Reply #255 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 6:58pm

freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2014 at 6:39pm:
[ Quote:
Well, your attitude is a big part of it. It's so annoying that you think its your place to tell a woman you don't agree with how she behaves.

This is the freedom of speech thread Annie, not the irony thread.

Ah. I see what I did there. Hmmm - I'll have to think on it.

Quote:
I think you are confusing me with Soren. How would I know the relationship details of a complete stranger in order to rebuke them?

Exactly.

Quote:
Quote:
Democracy used to be such a big part of what you posted but now you only mention it as it pertains to Islam.

You'll have to explain this one to me. I was barely aware people oppose democracy until I came across Abu et al. I do still promote electoral reform, but that is a long way from the issue of rejecting democracy in principle.

[/quote]
I'm referring to your poll. Aren't you genuinely concerned about the eroding of our rights and don't you question it?

Quote:
Quote:
I disagree with you about Muslim people in general

How do you know this?

You're kidding.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Adamant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Brisbane
Reply #256 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 8:14pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Oct 9th, 2014 at 2:38pm:
And by the way, your poll stinks too. You're being dishonest by suggesting that the problem for journalists with the new laws is that they won't be able to write about some intel ops. That's a very very narrow view.

If you search for the free speech that is espoused by this degenerate stinking filthy muslim scum bastard, you will find that all comments by the press, has somehow gone off like poof the magic dragon. The stinking racist bigot that is a descendant of pigs and apes is still allowed to live in Australia!

Why do you stick up for filthy stinking racist bigot murderous scum like this.

Ah, because you are not allowed to read about it. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Look, Listen and learn. Please!

The filth lackeys answer, wait for it.............TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Fvuck off that card has been used to many times.

The Islamic Da’wah Centre of South Australia (IDCSA) would like to clarify its situation regarding a video that was posted on YouTube and contained a heavily edited material by MEMRI TV channel on a sermon delivered by Sheikh Sharif Hussein which caught the attention of some Australian media outlets.

Firstly, IDCSA does not necessarily hold the same views/positions of the video contents as published in its YouTube channel. However, we believe that the Sheikh’s words were clearly taken out of context and put together in a suggestive manner (as you can see the disjointed video clips). At this point, IDCSA management would like to stress that Sheikh Sharif delivers Friday sermons on its premises based on our invitation as a qualified Imam, but he has no role in its administration.

The 2.5 minutes video was assembled out of a sermon, which was delivered on 22/03/13 and takes around 35 minutes. The sheikh presented in his speech some of the war crimes directed against Muslims around the world, something that was completely ignored in the video. While addressing the mass rape cases in Iraq, the Sheikh was emotional and used strong words in addressing those who committed these crimes.  The Sheikh directed his feeling to Allah (The Almighty GOD) to avenge those who committed atrocious war crimes of mass killing, rape and burning Muslims alive.   The typical cut and paste video overlooked the presentation of the horrible human rights violations against Muslims, and the sermon’s very motive in developing awareness to seek justice. Instead the edited footage concentrated on the complaint directed to Allah (The Almighty GOD) concerning these crimes. Apparently some media organisations are trying to present this video as hate speech while ignoring the fact that denouncing a criminal act is a social right which falls under the general category of ‘freedom of speech’.

Many non-Muslim Australians called for having John Howard tried as a war criminal  for supporting an illegal unjustified Iraq invasion,  mass casualties which resulted thereof, the use of rape by American soldiers and  the horrible birth defects due to use of depleted uranium shells. (Iraq’s Deadly Legacy – video)

The video clips of the Sheikh were suggestively taken out of context, however no part of that clip contain any call towards violence and/or friction between the non-Muslims and Muslims or multicultural communities in Australia. The lectures were delivered in relation to the Burmese Buddhist massacre of the Rohingya minority Muslims, as reported by BBC, Al Jazeera and many more. Needless to say, we should also mention the massacre of Muslims by Hindu extremists in India.

In conclusion we would like to bring into question the reliability, independence and veracity of a media organisation like MEMRI TV, which has served as a mouthpiece for islamophobes and individuals/organisations with questionable motives, publishing suggestive sensational de-contextualized cut-and-paste video clips showing the false allegations of hatred against non-Muslims.

IDCSA is clear in its objective to promote discussion about Islam and strive to remove any widely spread misconceptions as those circulated by MEMRI TV. We attempt to provide a source of authentic Islamic knowledge for both Muslims and non-Muslims and do not adopt any violent or hatred stances against any community, race or the Australian people in general. We are aware that certain level of animosity might result from such sensational media presentation, but hope with our response, to remove any concerns people might have.

"Tens of thousand of muslim women raped in Iraq". Fvucking lies from an ape and a pig!

The racist rant, by a descendant of pigs and apes shows all Islamic thinking. I am impressed at his honesty. 

Not impressed by his racism bigotry hatred religion filth about killing or his sinking lies.

Deport the Bastard!

Oh no I cant say that, Freedom of hate speech and all that. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

In real life Gandalf is known as Mr 10%

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #257 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 8:18pm

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #258 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 8:25pm

Middle East Media Research Institute

Quote:
Accusations of bias

Brian Whitaker, the Middle East editor for The Guardian newspaper at the time, wrote in a public email debate with Carmon in 2003, that his problem with MEMRI was that it "poses as a research institute when it's basically a propaganda operation".[6] Earlier, Whitaker had charged that MEMRI's role was to "further the political agenda of Israel." and that MEMRI's website does not mention Carmon's employment for Israeli intelligence, or Meyrav Wurmser's political stance, which he described as an "extreme brand of Zionism".[4] Carmon responded to this by stating that his employment history is not a secret and was not political, as he served under opposing administrations of the Israeli government and that perhaps the issue was that he was Israeli: "If your complaint is that I am Israeli, then please say so." Carmon also questioned Whitaker's own biases, wondering if Whitaker's is biased in favor of Arabs—as his website on the Middle East is named "Al-Bab" ("The Gateway" in Arabic)—stating: "I wonder how you would judge an editor whose website was called "Ha-Sha-ar" ("The Gateway" in Hebrew)?[6]

Norman Finkelstein has described MEMRI as "a main arm of Israeli propaganda".In 2006, Finkelstein accused MEMRI of editing a television interview he gave in Lebanon in order to falsely impute that he was a Holocaust denier. In an interview with the newspaper In Focus in 2007, he said MEMRI uses "the same sort of propaganda techniques as the Nazis" and "take[s] things out of context in order to do personal and political harm to people they don't like".[42]

[continued]

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #259 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 8:26pm

Middle East Media Research Institute [Continued]
Quote:
Selectivity

Several critics have accused MEMRI of selectivity. They state that MEMRI consistently picks for translation and dissemination the most extreme views, which portray the Arab and Muslim world in a negative light, while ignoring moderate views that are often found in the same media outlets.[4][39][39][40][41] Juan Cole, a professor of Modern Middle East History at the University of Michigan, argues MEMRI has a tendency to "cleverly cherry-pick the vast Arabic press, which serves 300 million people, for the most extreme and objectionable articles and editorials... On more than one occasion I have seen, say, a bigoted Arabic article translated by MEMRI and when I went to the source on the web, found that it was on the same op-ed page with other, moderate articles arguing for tolerance. These latter were not translated."[43] Former head of the CIA's counterintelligence unit, Vincent Cannistraro, said that MEMRI "are selective and act as propagandists for their political point of view, which is the extreme-right of Likud. They simply don't present the whole picture."[44][45] Laila Lalami, writing in The Nation, states that MEMRI "consistently picks the most violent, hateful rubbish it can find, translates it and distributes it in email newsletters to media and members of Congress in Washington".[39] As a result, critics such as Ken Livingstone state, MEMRI's analyses are "distortion".[46][47]

A report by Center for American Progress, titled "Fear, Inc. The Roots of the Islamophobia Network in America" lists MEMRI as promoting Islamophobic propaganda in the USA through supplying selective translations that are relied upon by several organisations "to make the case that Islam is inherently violent and promotes extremism".[48]

MEMRI argues that they are quoting the government-controlled press and not obscure or extremist publications, a fact their critics acknowledge, according to Marc Perelman: "When we quote Al-Ahram in Egypt, it is as if we were quoting The New York Times. We know there are people questioning our work, probably those who have difficulties seeing the truth. But no one can show anything wrong about our translations."[44]

In August 2013, the Islamic Da'wah Centre of South Australia questioned the "reliability, independence and veracity" of the Middle East Media Research Institute after it posted what the centre called a "sensational de-contextualised cut-and-paste video clip... put together in a suggestive manner" of a sermon by the Sheikh Sharif Hussein on an American website. According to the two-minute video, which was a heavily condensed version of the Sheikh's 36-minute speech delivered in Adelaide on 22 March, Hussein called Australian and American soldiers "crusader pigs" and stated "O Allah, count the Buddhists and the Hindus one by one. O Allah, count them and kill them to the very last one." According to MEMRI's translation, he also described US President Barack Obama as an "enemy of Allah, you who kiss the shoes and feet of the Jews" and predicted that "The day will come when you are trampled upon by the pure feet of the Muslims."[49] MEMRI's rendition moved leading Liberal senator Cory Bernardi to write to the Police Commissioner charging that under Australia's anti-terrorism laws, the video clip was "hate speech", and requesting that action be taken against Hussein. The South Australian Islamic Society and the Australian Buddhist Councils Federation also condemned Hussein's speech. Widespread calls from the public for the deportation of Hussein and his family followed news reports of the video. A police spokeswoman stated "Police will examine the entire content of the sermon to gain the full context and determine whether any crime has been committed." Hussein himself declined any comment on the contents of the video. However, the Da'wah Centre charged that by omitting the context of Hussein's statements, MEMRI had distorted the actual intent of the speech. While admitting that the Sheikh was emotional and used strong words, the Centre stated that the speech was delivered in relation to the mass rape cases in Iraq, the birth defects due to use of depleted uranium and the Burmese Buddhist massacre. This, the Centre claimed, was omitted from the edited MEMRI video.[50][51][52][53][54]

[continued]

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #260 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 8:28pm

Quote:
Alleged translation inaccuracy
See also: Tomorrow's Pioneers § Translation controversy

The accuracy of MEMRI's translations are considered "usually accurate" though occasionally disputed and highly selective in what it chooses to translate and in which context it puts things,[55] as in the case of MEMRI's translation of a 2004 Osama bin Laden video, which MEMRI defended.[6][47][56][57][58]

Following the 7 July 2005 London bombings, Al Jazeera invited Hani al-Sebai, an Islamist living in Britain, to take part in a discussion on the event. For one segment of the discussion in regard to the victims, MEMRI provided the following translation of al-Sebai's words:

the term civilians does not exist in Islamic religious law. Dr Karmi is sitting here, and I am sitting here, and I’m familiar with religious law. There is no such term as civilians in the modern Western sense. People are either at war or not.[59]

Al-Sebai subsequently claimed that MEMRI had mistranslated his interview, and that among other errors, he had actually said:

there is no term in Islamic jurisprudence called civilians. Dr Karmi is here sitting with us, and he's very familiar with the jurisprudence. There are fighters and non-fighters. Islam is against the killing of innocents. The innocent man cannot be killed according to Islam.

By leaving out the condemnation of the "killing of innocents" entirely, Mohammed El Oifi writing in Le Monde diplomatique argued that this translation left the implication that civilians (the innocent) are considered a legitimate target.[46] Several British newspapers subsequently used MEMRI's translation to run headlines such as "Islamic radical has praised the suicide bomb attacks on the capital"[60] prompting al-Sebai to demand an apology and take legal action. In his view, MEMRI's translation was also "an incitement to have me arrested by the British authorities".[61]

Halim Barakat described MEMRI as a "a propaganda organization dedicated to representing Arabs and Muslims as anti-semites". Barakat claims an essay he wrote for the Al-Hayat Daily of London titled The Wild Beast that Zionism Created: Self-Destruction, was mistranslated by MEMRI and retitled as Jews Have Lost Their Humanity. Barakat further stated "Every time I wrote Zionism, MEMRI replaced the word by Jew or Judaism. They want to give the impression that I'm not criticizing Israeli policy, but that what I'm saying is anti-Semitic."[42][45][46] According to Barakat, he was subject to widespread condemnation from faculty and his office was "flooded with hatemail".[62][63] Fellow Georgetown faculty member Aviel Roshwald accused Barakat in an article he published of promoting a "demonization of Israel and of Jews".[64] Supported by Georgetown colleagues, Barakat denied the claim,[65] which Roshwald had based on MEMRI's translation of Barakat's essay.[64]

In 2007, CNN correspondent Atika Shubert and Arabic translators accused MEMRI of mistranslating portions of a Palestinian children's television programme.

Media watchdog MEMRI translates one caller as saying – quote – 'We will annihilate the Jews'," said Shubert. "But, according to several Arabic speakers used by CNN, the caller actually says 'The Jews are killing us.'[66][67]

CNN's Glenn Beck later invited Yigal Carmon onto his program to comment on the alleged mistranslation. Carmon criticized CNN's translators understanding of Arabic stating: "Even someone who doesn't know Arabic would listen to the tape and would hear the word 'Jews' is at the end, and also it means it is something to be done to the Jews, not by the Jews. And she (Octavia Nasr) insisted, no the word is in the beginning. I said: 'Octavia, you just don't get it. It is at the end.'" Brian Whitaker, a Middle East editor for the Guardian newspaper (UK) later pointed out that the word order in Arabic is not the same as in English: "the verb comes first and so a sentence in Arabic which literally says 'Are shooting at us the Jews' means 'The Jews are shooting at us.'"[55]

Naomi Sakr, a professor of Media Policy at the University of Westminster has charged that specific MEMRI mistranslations, occurring during times of international tension, have generated hostility towards Arab journalists.[68]

Brian Whitaker wrote in a blog for The Guardian newspaper that in the translation of the video, showing Farfour eliciting political comments from a young girl named Sanabel, the MEMRI transcript misrepresents the segment. Farfour asks Sanabel what she will do and, after a pause says "I'll shoot", MEMRI attributed the phrase said by Farfour, ("I'll shoot"), as the girl's reply while ignoring her actual reply ("I'm going to draw a picture").[69] Whitaker and others commented that a statement uttered by the same child, ("We're going to [or want to] resist"), had been given an unduly aggressive interpretation by MEMRI as ("We want to fight"). Also, where MEMRI translated the girl as saying the highly controversial remark ("We will annihilate the Jews"), Whitaker and others, including Arabic speakers used by CNN, insist that based on careful listening to the low quality video clip, the girl is saying "Bitokhoona al-yahood", variously interpreted as, "The Jews [will] shoot us"[69] or "The Jews are killing us."[70]

[continued]

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #261 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 8:29pm

Quote:
MEMRI stands by their translation of the show, saying: "Yes, we stand by the translation by the very words, by the context, by the syntax, and every measure of the translation."[70]

In response to accusations of inaccuracies and distortion, Yigal Carmon, said:

As an institute of research, we want MEMRI to present translations to people who wish to be informed on the ideas circulating in the Middle East. We aim to reflect reality. If knowledge of this reality should benefit one side or another, then so be it.

In an email debate with Carmon, Whitaker asked about MEMRI's November 2000 translation of an interview given by the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem to Al-Ahram al-Arabi. One question asked by the interviewer was: "How do you deal with the Jews who are besieging al-Aqsa and are scattered around it?" which was translated as: "How do you feel about the Jews?" MEMRI cut out the first part of the reply and combined it with the answer to the next question, which, Whitaker claimed, made "Arabs look more anti-semitic than they are". Carmon admitted this was an error in translation but defended combining the two replies as both questions referred to the same subject. Carmon rejected other claims of distortion by Whitaker, saying: "it is perhaps reassuring that you had to go back so far to find a mistake... You accused us of distortion by omission but when asked to provide examples of trends and views we have missed, you have failed to answer." Carmon also accused Whitaker of "using insults rather than evidence" in his criticism of MEMRI.[6]

Whitaker claims that although Memri's translations are usually accurate, they are selective and often out of context. He stated: "When errors do occur, it's difficult to attribute them to incompetence or accidental lapses... there appears to be a political motive."[55]

[Source]

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #262 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 11:36pm

You claimed that the Muslim community is holding hands with, and on the same page as, the rest of our community on the issue of freedom of speech.

And you haven't been able to demonstrate otherwise. Note also, the key word mainstream.

The right to depict and mock Muhammed is entirely relevant to that, as is the refusal of the Muslim community to have any debate on the issue or to speak out in defense of that right. If you still think this is irrelevant

And what you continue to refuse to acknowledge, or understand, is that virtually no one is speaking out in defense of that right. Asked about the Muhammad cartoons, and the overwhelming sentiment amongst the mainstream was a deep disgust at them, and a belief that they should not have been published in the first place. Thats what the surveys said across the western world. A grudging acceptance of people's right to make the cartoons (only when asked) came a very poor second to this sentiment.

Muslims are either hostile to this right, often violently so, or silently watching their fellow Muslims undermine it by whatever means are available.

If you were looking at this objectively and honestly - as I believe you were in 2007 - you would have no problems acknowledging that there is no real difference between the mainstream muslim and mainstream non-muslim community on this matter. Of course muslims don't jump up and down demanding people have the right to mock their prophet - but neither do the non-muslims. The non-muslims - when asked - will grudgingly acknowledge a right to mock islam, but it is simply dishonest to say they are making any sort of stand in defense of it that would demonstrate a discernible difference between their values and the mainstream muslim values on this matter. Where are the "right to mock the Prophet" protests? Goodness, Soren is constantly judging muslims by their lack of protests against the extremists - we should get him in here to blast the non-muslims for not taking to the streets in defense of prophet-mocking. What do you say?

No, reality check please. Mainstream society is not jumping up and down doing the "stand up for prophet mocking" dance that you demand of the muslims, because overwhelmingly society is disgusted by the concept, and are quite frankly, being the exact freedom underminers you accuse muslims of being. On every other issue we have talked about - 18c and holocaust denial - we see the same sorts of attitudes - mainstream, non-muslim society shows absolutely no indication of holding values that are any more in favour of freedom than the mainstream muslim society. I have asked many times for you to come up with examples that does show this difference in attitudes, but you come up with nothing, save for a lot of meaningless waffle.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #263 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 11:51pm

I don’t know, G. The old boy will have his hands full with his criticism of women who wear head coverings. The old boy can’t stand them. He’s planning on going around and giving them all a piece of his mind ( I kid you not).

I don’t know if he’ll have time to organize non-Muselman protests to mock the prophet, but it’s an excellent idea. Perhaps he can bring some of his ex-Muslim burqa ladies he’s converted to Western civilisation.

Freeedom, innit.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #264 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 12:15am

freediver wrote on Oct 8th, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Germany is the only one I know of.

Do some research - holocaust denial is illegal right across Europe.

Quote:
and is celebrated as "unlawful" by our own government (without any significant opposition)

Quote:
So trying, but failing, to wind back the legislation is celebrating it?

He is not winding back the 'unlawfulness' of holocaust denial - he is trying to preserve it - and proudly advertising his efforts to do so. So yes, of course that is celebrating it.

Quote:
This is not like your claim that Muslims stand up for the right to depict and mock Muhammed. There are Australians who actually spoke out against it, including the elected government.

I never claimed muslims do any such thing, and the majority of Australians don't speak out against it, making them no different to the.... majority of muslims on this matter.

Quote:
The contrast could not be more striking Gandalf. You claim something on behalf of our Muslim community that you cannot back up with a single example, while at the same time claiming that the elected government tried to make a change to the laws that not a single person supported, despite being in an argument with someone who supports it and despite sections of the mainstream media vocally supporting it.

Grin Grin Grin (hint - I claimed no such things)

Quote:
The combination of complete silence from the 'good' Muslim community on the right to depict and mock Muhammed, and aggressive opposition to it from the 'bad' Muslims shows that the Muslim community does not value that right.

What a joke. As if the non-muslim community is any different on any number of related issues. Just take holocaust denial. Our own AG celebrates this freedom as "unlawful", and there is not a whimper of opposition from the 'freedom loving' mainstream.

Quote:
Sounds far fetched to me. You don't get into government by being that stupid.

LOL - this government is breaking new boundaries in this area.

Quote:
I have. Me being on the opposite side to the majority does not make me an extremist, as you claim. That is just plain stupid. Using that logic could paint 49% of the population as extremists with a single question.

Simply hilarious - as that like how you paint the Malaysian muslims as extremists and "little Hitlers" with a single question?

And your views are not representative of anywhere near 49% of the population. I have previously quoted at least two surveys from the 18c debate that demonstrate massive majorities fit your definition of spineless apologists and people "chipping away at our freedoms". Mainstream Australia rejects your views on freedom, and thats my simple criteria for calling you an extremist. It doesn't mean your views are wrong, simply that you are way out of step with the values of our society.

Quote:
Likewise, the Muslim community being among the majority on 18c only shows that they are with the majority on one single issue, and certainly not on the issue of freedom of speech in general.

Yes, so you keep saying. Its a pity you still haven't been able to back that up with a single example.

Quote:
The right to depict and mock Muhammed is a far more significant issue and one in which the Muslim community is against the vast majority.

Keep saying it FD, but it is complete nonsense until you support it with actual evidence.

Quote:
I asked you a while back if there was anything we are legally not allowed to say in Australia. We were obviously unaware of the holocaust denial thing at the time, because you agreed with me that there was nothing we were not allowed to say.

Now I just *KNOW* you are taking the piss here. You must be.

Nothing you are not allowed to say hmmm? How about "fire" in a cinema - you always love that example. How about libel or defamation? Remember how Andrew Bolt was retrospectively not allowed to say certain things about Aborigines? I dare say threatening to kill someone would land you in trouble with the law. Then of course there is the things covered under the Racial Discrimination Act - I don't need to go through them all.
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2014 at 12:23am by polite_gandalf »  

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #265 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 6:54am

Adamant wrote on Oct 9th, 2014 at 8:14pm:
["Tens of thousand of muslim women raped in Iraq". Fvucking lies from an ape and a pig!

The racist rant, by a descendant of pigs and apes shows all Islamic thinking.

Not impressed by his racism bigotry hatred religion filth about killing or his sinking lies.

Freediver, are you certain this isn't the irony thread?

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #266 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 11:34am

polite_gandalf wrote on Oct 9th, 2014 at 11:36pm:
Goodness, Soren is constantly judging muslims by their lack of protests against the extremists - we should get him in here to blast the non-muslims for not taking to the streets in defense of prophet-mocking. What do you say?

I say that you illustrate my point pithily, despite yourself - you make the cartoons a much greater affront to Islam than the beheadings on youtube.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #267 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 11:41am

pithily? You do have a quaint vocabularly Soren.

So were you out on the streets defending your right to mock the Prophet? If not, why not?

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #268 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 12:48pm

Quote:
I'm referring to your poll. Aren't you genuinely concerned about the eroding of our rights and don't you question it?

Of course. I am not using the ASIO legislation to destract people from my personal opposition to freedom of speech. Gandalf is.

Quote:
And you haven't been able to demonstrate otherwise. Note also, the key word mainstream.

I have demonstrated their silence on the issue in the face of deliberate attacks by other Muslims on freedom of speech.

Quote:
And what you continue to refuse to acknowledge, or understand, is that virtually no one is speaking out in defense of that right.

I am. Even Annie thinks (and states) that it is a bad thing that Muslims have been so successful in stripping this right from us. She also knows not to lick the windows. Does that make her mainstream? Even Brian is getting in on the act.

Quote:
Asked about the Muhammad cartoons, and the overwhelming sentiment amongst the mainstream was a deep disgust at them, and a belief that they should not have been published in the first place. Thats what the surveys said across the western world. A grudging acceptance of people's right to make the cartoons (only when asked) came a very poor second to this sentiment.

Is that why Barak Obama spoke out in direct support of the right? Is that wy so many newspapers published them? The Muslims are definitely not on the 'same page' as the western world on this issue Gandalf. Being appalled by something and standing up for people's right to do it is not mutually exclusive. It is the very essence of freedom of speech, and you merely demonstrate your inability to comprehend western concepts of freedom by insisting this proves anything.

Quote:
If you were looking at this objectively and honestly - as I believe you were in 2007 - you would have no problems acknowledging that there is no real difference between the mainstream muslim and mainstream non-muslim community on this matter. Of course muslims don't jump up and down demanding people have the right to mock their prophet - but neither do the non-muslims.

Except of course, Barak Obama. And myself. And Annie.

Quote:
The non-muslims - when asked - will grudgingly acknowledge a right to mock islam, but it is simply dishonest to say they are making any sort of stand in defense of it that would demonstrate a discernible difference between their values and the mainstream muslim values on this matter.

Sure it does. Muslims are represented either by silence, or by Muslims who are violently opposed to freedom of speech. Non-Muslims are represented variously by people who speak out in defense of freedom of speech, or who begrudgingly acknowledge it in the face of people saying things they may not like. I do not even see any crossover. The two spectrums of opinion do not even overlap.

Quote:
Where are the "right to mock the Prophet" protests?

Ever heard of "draw a cartoon of Muhammed day"?

Quote:
No, reality check please. Mainstream society is not jumping up and down doing the "stand up for prophet mocking" dance that you demand of the muslims, because overwhelmingly society is disgusted by the concept

Crap. The mere suggestion that people would accept restrictions on the right to depict or mock the prophet puts you outside of the Australian mainstream. You are an apparently progressive Muslim, yet even you are an extremist. That is why you have spent so many pages trying to change the topic and portray me as the extremist and/or hypocrite.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Adamant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Brisbane
Reply #269 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 1:57pm

Good to see you condone hate speech from your muslim cleric mates.  Roll Eyes

Good to see you bring out more of the anti Israeli mates out of the closet too.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Brian Whitaker   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  http://cifwatch.com/2011/06/02/the-guardians-brian-whitaker-wants-you-to-be-afraid-of-the-israel-lobby-very-afraid/  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

http://normanfinkelstein.com/ Oh Gawd.

Fear inc aka Faiz Shakir  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyeshttp://www.frontpagemag.com/2012/dgreenfield/nancy-pelosi-hires-former-terrorist-fundraiser/ Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

And from your own article.

MEMRI argues that they are quoting the government-controlled press and not obscure or extremist publications, a fact their critics acknowledge, according to Marc Perelman: "When we quote Al-Ahram in Egypt, it is as if we were quoting The New York Times. We know there are people questioning our work, probably those who have difficulties seeing the truth. But no one can show anything wrong about our translations."[44]   Shocked Shocked Shocked

In real life Gandalf is known as Mr 10%

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 59
Send Topic Print