Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: most effective attacks on our freedom of speech?

Muslims preventing people from mocking Muhammed    
  11 (55.0%)
Journalists not reporting some ASIO intel ops    
  4 (20.0%)
Something else    
  5 (25.0%)

Total votes: 20
« Created by: freediver on: Oct 9th, 2014 at 12:43pm »

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 59
Send Topic Print
Is Islam against free speech? (Read 158578 times)
Adamant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Brisbane
Re: Is Islam against free speech?
Reply #165 - Oct 3rd, 2014 at 8:02pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Oct 3rd, 2014 at 7:17pm:
I haven't heard of the OIC - please show me what they have said that indicates mainstream muslims are less supportive of free speech than the rest of society.

Here you go Gandalf, a veritable plethora of Shiite by the Shiite's is available on the website. They wanted  blasphemy of the Mo made an offence under the UN. If the stupid crap had been agreed to all Muslims would have become blasphemers! Just shows the stupidity of Muslims/Islam. For instance you do believe Jesus was the son of God/Allah don't you?
http://www.oic-oci.org/oicv2/home/?lan=en

In real life Gandalf is known as Mr 10%

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #166 - Oct 3rd, 2014 at 8:22pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Oct 3rd, 2014 at 8:00pm:
freediver wrote on Oct 3rd, 2014 at 7:52pm:
http://www.ozpolitic.com/wiki/index.php?title=Islam_and_Australian_values#OIC_vs...

Sorry, I thought you were going to show me a demonstration of Australian mainstream muslims demonstrating their hostility to free speech. My bad.

There should be some kind of debate within the Muslim community about the right of people to depict and mock Muhammed.

Just like there was a debate in the wider community, in which it was overwhelmingly agreed that freedom of speech should be limited - even to the point to protect people from mere offense?

Really not making much progress on the whole "non-muslims in Australia have demonstrated they  like our freedoms more than mainstream Australian muslims" - are we?

Why do you keep changing the topic Gandalf? Are you afraid to talk about the right of people to depict and mock Muhammed? Or do you still not understand the difference between this issue and 18c? Is freedom really such an alien concept to you?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #167 - Oct 4th, 2014 at 1:06pm

freediver wrote on Oct 3rd, 2014 at 8:22pm:
Why do you keep changing the topic Gandalf?

Thats about the oldest trick in the book to try and cover up failure in an argument.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #168 - Oct 4th, 2014 at 1:15pm

Gandalf, do you acknowledge that it is a bad thing that people are afraid to depict and mock Muhammed?

freediver wrote on Oct 3rd, 2014 at 7:06pm:
Quote:
mainstream muslims demanding that Muhammad cartoons be banned

Does the OIC count as mainstream?

You have failed to produce a single Muslim speaking out in direct support of this right, in response to a very long list of Muslims and Muslim organisations trying to destroy this right, and Islam itself being opposed to the right.

You have also proven yourself unwilling to state your own views on the matter.

The ball is in your court Gandalf.

Quote:
mainstream non-muslims demanding that people have the right to make Muhammad cartoons

We already have that right. Why would we demand something we already have? But just to humour you, and to offer an example I have already given in this thread, Barak Obama recently demanded that the right be maintained. You'll have trouble finding non-Muslims who disagree with him. It was basically an exercise in stating the bleeding obvious.

Quote:
yes people should have the right to make cartoons depicting and mocking any historical figure, sacred or otherwise. But there is a fine line between free speech and vilification - and people should not have the right to use such depictions to vilify and entire group.

So the Muhammed cartoons should be banned?

Quote:
I haven't heard of the OIC - please show me what they have said that indicates mainstream muslims are less supportive of free speech than the rest of society.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/wiki/index.php?title=Islam_and_Australian_values#OIC_vs...

Quote:
I'm sure I could find one, just as I could find one speaking to the opposite.

You tried once already. You failed. You produced yet another example of a Muslim refusing to mention the words freedom of speech. There is no shortage of the opposite. Just say Yadda 3 times and they will appear.

Quote:
Muslims in Australia already have that right, why would they demand something they already have?

There should be some kind of debate within the Muslim community about the right of people to depict and mock Muhammed. The only Muslims speaking out on the issue are the ones who want to behead those who insult the prophet. The rest of the Muslim community is disturbingly silent on the issue. That is dangerous, and it encourages the head hacking lunatics when the so-called 'good' Muslims won't take a stance against them.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #169 - Oct 4th, 2014 at 3:41pm

freediver wrote on Oct 4th, 2014 at 1:15pm:
Gandalf, do you acknowledge that it is a bad thing that people are afraid to depict and mock Muhammed?

if you insist on painting it in this oversimplistic dichotomy, then I suppose on that basis it is bad.

But we don't live in this simplistic world you paint. We live in a world where prejudice and bigotry - arguably the greatest threat to mankind - is always simmering just below the surface, and needs just the slightest encouragement to come bursting out. In a perfect world, your sentiments would be spot on, but in the real world, there is a whole other side of the question - which you refuse to acknowledge. A side that we must be every bit as vigilant against as you insist we should be on the freedom side.

I know what you will counter with - that the antidote against the threats from both is to embrace freedom even more wholeheartedly; that a sort of "free market" political and intellectual environment will sort us all out for the better. I cannot agree with such an idealism, and I am particularly intolerant of it when it is being lectured by someone who is from the dominant, privileged strata of our society. Someone who will never experience real discrimination or prejudice, demanding that the most vulnerable stand up and embrace the idea that they should be mocked and ridiculed for their cultural and ethnic background.

Mainstream Australia is with me on this, and you FD, are on the fringe. Mainstream Australians demonstrably share the muslim communities misgivings about the idea that bigotry and intolerance should be openly acknowledged as a "right" in our society. And you simply cannot isolate the concept of "the right to draw a mere cartoon" from this context. The cartoons were made for offense - they literally had no other purpose, and like it or not, most people have a problem with that. For them the question is not so much "should people have the right to draw them?", its "should they draw them?" (a subtle but important difference), coupled with "why do they draw them?" Which is why consistent majorities across all the western countries - including Australia - were adamant that the cartoons should not have been published. Thats not muslims saying this, this is the whole of society. And you can't simply fob it off by saying "oh thats only because they know how the mussies will react" - since it would ignore some other things we know about our society's attitudes - like the fact that most people think there should be laws in place to protect against mere offense. That would put mainstream Australian society in the "spineless apologist" camp according to you - yet somehow you continue with the fairy tale that its only a muslim "problem" - and that the rest of society is on the same page as you - when clearly they are not.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #170 - Oct 4th, 2014 at 3:57pm

Nobody is more bigoted and prejudiced than the strict adherents of Islam and followers of Mohammed. It is written into the creed, it is central part of Islam. Under sharia law, nonmuslims and womenare econd class. In accordance with Allah’s dictates, not some late addition of cultural inheritance.

As a muslim you are not in a position to hold forth about bigotry and prejudice whie this remains in place.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #171 - Oct 4th, 2014 at 4:04pm

Mainstream muslims are not bigoted and prejudiced, irrespective of whether or not you think their religion is.

FD's waffling in this thread is a first class exhibition of his singular failure to make the case that muslims are any more against our freedoms than the wider community.

When there is not a shred of evidence to support his contention, literally the only thing left for him is to base the argument solely on an interpretation of islam that mainstream muslims demonstrably reject. He falls back on this logical fallacy time and time again.

Quote:

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #172 - Oct 4th, 2014 at 4:19pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Oct 4th, 2014 at 4:04pm:
Mainstream muslims are not bigoted and prejudiced, irrespective of whether or not you think their religion is.

Well, that must mean that they don’t quite believe in  Mohammed’s teachings and the Koran.
This is good news if true but I doubt it. In any case, I think not many would openly admit it in front of the more committed element (is that the tiny minority, btw, the fully committed muslim?).

So what bits of Islam does the mainstream not quite believe?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #173 - Oct 4th, 2014 at 4:32pm

Soren wrote on Oct 4th, 2014 at 4:19pm:
Well, that must mean that they don’t quite believe in  Mohammed’s teachings and the Koran.

literally the only thing left for him is to base the argument solely on an interpretation of islam that mainstream muslims demonstrably reject. He falls back on this logical fallacy time and time again.

I rest my case.

Quote:

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #174 - Oct 4th, 2014 at 4:36pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Oct 4th, 2014 at 4:32pm:
Soren wrote on Oct 4th, 2014 at 4:19pm:

literally the only thing left for him is to base the argument solely on an interpretation of islam that mainstream muslims demonstrably reject. He falls back on this logical fallacy time and time again.

I rest my case.

I have not seen any demonstration that mainstream Muslims do not fully accept Mohammed’s example or that there are parts of the Koran that they do not accept.

It would be good of you if you coud  identify some of the bits they do not believe.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #175 - Oct 4th, 2014 at 4:46pm

Quote:
I know what you will counter with - that the antidote against the threats from both is to embrace freedom even more wholeheartedly; that a sort of "free market" political and intellectual environment will sort us all out for the better. I cannot agree with such an idealism

Because you cannot embrace freedom in anything but a superficial sense?

Quote:
and I am particularly intolerant of it when it is being lectured by someone who is from the dominant, privileged strata of our society

That makes no sense. Freedom and human rights are what protects minorities.

Quote:
Someone who will never experience real discrimination or prejudice, demanding that the most vulnerable stand up and embrace the idea that they should be mocked and ridiculed for their cultural and ethnic background.

You never did clarify the bit about mocking Muhammed. You appear to support people's right to do this, so long as Muslims don't get upset about it. In other words, you think historical religious and political figures should be protected from criticism by law - something the vast majority would disagree with you, for good reason - but you will do the typical Muslim thing of trying to deceive people into thinking the opposite.

Quote:
Mainstream Australia is with me on this, and you FD, are on the fringe.

I don't think anyone knows where you stand. You have spent the entire thread ducking and weaving on the issue and trying to pretend the issue of people's right to depict and mock Muhammed is the same as the 18c debate. I interpret this as a deliberate act of deception on your part. You are trying to pass off your own views, and those of 'mainstream' Muslims, as compatible with western values like freedom of speech. You can only do this by avoiding the topic at all costs.

Quote:
And you simply cannot isolate the concept of "the right to draw a mere cartoon" from this context.

Yes you can. It is quite simple. We have the right to draw such cartoons. This right should be defended from the efforts of Muslims like you and your fellow head hackers to destroy it. By offering nothing but weasel words, the 'mainstream' Muslim community offers consent by way of silence for the head hacking lunatics to take care of the problem on their behalf.

Quote:
The cartoons were made for offense - they literally had no other purpose, and like it or not, most people have a problem with that.

That's what freedom of speech means - supporting the right of others to say something you might not like. I have a problem with all the lies and BS coming from Muslims. I think they should stop it. Do you hear me suggesting that they should not have the right to say these things?

Quote:
For them the question is not so much "should people have the right to draw them?", its "should they draw them?"

When it comes to OIC-style legislation to ban them, or dealing with the Muslims who try to scare people into self-censorship, or the 'mainstream' Muslim community refusing to take a stance, it is exactly about the right to draw them. This is an entirely different issue to whether people should draw them, which is a personal choice for the individual, not something Muslims get to dictate to everyone else.

Quote:
Which is why consistent majorities across all the western countries - including Australia - were adamant that the cartoons should not have been published.

What makes you think that? Do these majorities support removing our right to publish such cartoons? Do they support the efforts of Muslim extremists to scare people into self censorship? If you cannot even honestly represent your own views, I have no confidence in your ability to represent the views of the majority of Australian.

Quote:
Thats not muslims saying this, this is the whole of society. And you can't simply fob it off by saying "oh thats only because they know how the mussies will react" - since it would ignore some other things we know about our society's attitudes - like the fact that most people think there should be laws in place to protect against mere offense.

No historical religious figure should be protected by law from criticism. You agreed to this yourself. Most people actually mean it when they say this. They don't invent your weasel words to take it all back. The 18c debate was not about taking back people's right to depict and mock Muhammed.

Quote:
FD's waffling in this thread is a first class exhibition of his singular failure to make the case that muslims are any more against our freedoms than the wider community.

I have made the case, very clearly, over and over again. You have simply ignored it.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #176 - Oct 4th, 2014 at 5:04pm

Soren wrote on Oct 4th, 2014 at 3:57pm:
Nobody is more bigoted and prejudiced than the strict adherents of Islam and followers of Mohammed.

Rather like the strict adherents of Christianity in that regard, hey, Soren?

Who's forgotten the "Piss Christ", "Life of Brian", "Last Temptation of Christ" and other similar contraversies of modern times reaching right back to the suppression of scientific knowledge such as that of Galilleo and Copernicus?   You will, of course.    Roll Eyes

Then we have the suppression of Christian "heresies", such as the Gnostocism, Catharism and Waldensians.  Hardly free speech allowed there, now was it, Soren?    Roll Eyes

Even the Prostentant sects have ostrocised and suppressed various beliefs they considered heretical, now haven't they, Soren?   Wink

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #177 - Oct 4th, 2014 at 5:28pm

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 4th, 2014 at 5:04pm:
Soren wrote on Oct 4th, 2014 at 3:57pm:
Nobody is more bigoted and prejudiced than the strict adherents of Islam and followers of Mohammed.

Rather like the strict adherents of Christianity in that regard, hey, Soren?

Who's forgotten the "Piss Christ", "Life of Brian", "Last Temptation of Christ" and other similar contraversies of modern times reaching right back to the suppression of scientific knowledge such as that of Galilleo and Copernicus?   You will, of course.    Roll Eyes

Then we have the suppression of Christian "heresies", such as the Gnostocism, Catharism and Waldensians.  Hardly free speech allowed there, now was it, Soren?    Roll Eyes

Even the Prostentant sects have ostrocised and suppressed various beliefs they considered heretical, now haven't they, Soren?   Wink

The old boy’s on exactly the same page as G on this. He doesn’t give a stool whether Christians are offended by Pss Christ or not. The old boy simply hates the gall of those who, in his words, "grin".

Like G, the old boy questions the motives of those who do the offending, not the act of offence, which for the old boy is usually encouraged. If the offender is a mendatious, grinning, yeah-but-no-but numpty, he should have the decency to keep his trap shut and grin in private.

If the offender speaks out against all that is Islamic, even if he’s telling porkies, then no one has the right not to be offended.

It is an old boy world, no?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #178 - Oct 4th, 2014 at 5:43pm

freediver wrote on Oct 4th, 2014 at 4:46pm:
You never did clarify the bit about mocking Muhammed.

Wow FD, you were so busy dissecting my last post to the extent that you didn't even realise it was a nuanced clarification of just that.

Thats the problem with your method of replying by dissecting each sentence as if they are separate statements completely isolated from each other.

Yes you can. It is quite simple. We have the right to draw such cartoons.

It is not that simple, and most Australians think this view is foolish. This is just the sort of tunnel visioned arrogance that demonstrates how out of touch with our society's values you really are.

This right should be defended from the efforts of Muslims like you and your fellow head hackers to destroy it. By offering nothing but weasel words, the 'mainstream' Muslim community offers consent by way of silence for the head hacking lunatics to take care of the problem on their behalf.

The 'weasel words' are these exact sort of arrogant and empty platitudes from someone who will never live to experience nor understand real prejudice and discrimination.

'Weasel words' are stirring up ethnic and religious tension that never existed in the first place, by demanding pledges of loyalty that no one has any good reason to believe hadn't existed all along. 'Weasel words' come from people who lecture minorities to 'get with the program' by dismissing their very real fear of discrimination as some sort of sinister 'anti-freeeedom' plot, all the while staying completely silent to actual threats to our freedom, like the raft of 'anti terrorism' laws that just passed through our parliament with barely a peep of opposition.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #179 - Oct 4th, 2014 at 5:57pm

Quote:
Wow FD, you were so busy dissecting my last post to the extent that you didn't even realise it was a nuanced clarification of just that.

Should the recent Muhammed cartoons be banned? Your entire argument depends on the intention of the author and who takes offense, not the content of what you want banned, so you can hardly blame me for not knowing. You refuse to simply come out and say what you want banned, because you are too busy trying to deceive people into thinking that you support freedom of speech. You endlessly excuse and justify your views, but you do not say what they are.

Quote:
It is not that simple, and most Australians think this view is foolish.

Can you quote any non-Muslims who want a ban on depicting and mocking Muhammed? You rpetend that Muslims are on the same page as mainstream Australians, yet you have failed to produce a single Muslim supporting the right of people to depict and mock Muhammed, or a non-Muslim arguing that this right should be taken away. In contrast, I have given you plenty of examples of Muslims arguing the right should be takena way, or trying to take it with force, and of non-Muslims defending the right. For some reason, in a Muslim's eyes, this counts as me producing no evidence.

Quote:
The 'weasel words' are these exact sort of arrogant and empty platitudes from someone who will never live to experience nor understand real prejudice and discrimination.

I have experienced it first hand. I have been physically assaulted by neo Nazis, for example. The weasel words are you pretending that you are 'holding hands' with mainstream Australians and claiming you believe no historical figure should be protected from criticism or mockery, then taking it all back if Muslims get offended.

Quote:
'Weasel words' come from people who lecture minorities to 'get with the program' by dismissing their very real fear of discrimination as some sort of sinister 'anti-freeeedom' plot

It is not a 'sinister plot'. It is Islam. Abu was against freedom of speech, but tried to pretend he supports it. You are against freedom of speech, but try to pretend you support it. It is an anti-freedom ideology that preaches putting up with freedom for only as long as you have no choice.

Quote:
all the while staying completely silent to actual threats to our freedom

People are already scared to depict and mock Muhammed. Anyone making a real movie about Muhammed would have genuine reason to fear for their person safety. Even Annie recognises this as a bad thing. The only pretending it is not a problem is you.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 59
Send Topic Print