Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Richard Dawkins ImagineFrom his website (Read 5817 times)
mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Richard Dawkins ImagineFrom his website
Jul 27th, 2008 at 11:29am

From his website
http://richarddawkins.net/article,1,Imagine-No-Religion,Richard-Dawkins

Go to the site if interested in some rational reasoning, but I will paste a couple of extracts.

"What can it mean to speak of a child's 'own' religion? Imagine a world in which it was normal to speak of a Keynesian child, a Hayekian child, or a Marxist child. Or imagine a proposal to pour government money into separate primary schools for Labour children, Tory children, LibDem children and Monster Raving Loony children? Everyone agrees that small children are too young to know whether they are Keynesian or Monetarist, Labour or Tory, too young to bear the burden of such labels. Why, then, is our entire society happy to slap a label like Catholic or Protestant, Muslim or Jew, on a tiny child? Isn't that, when you think about it, a kind of mental child abuse?"

"Of course today's religious killings and persecutions are not motivated by theological disputes. IRA gunmen don't kill Protestants (or vice versa) over disagreements about transubstantiation. The motive is more likely to be tribal vengeance. It was one of 'them' killed one of 'us'. 'They' drove 'our' great grandfathers out of our ancestral lands. The grievances are economic and political, not religious, and the vendettas stretch back a long way.

But although the tribal disagreements themselves have nothing to do with religion, the fact that there are two tribes at all has everything to do with religion."

It is nice to see my disorganised thoughts, assembled neatly by one far smarter than myself, I do like this Dawkins character, as I see the shedding of religious attachments as a path to a more peaceful, compassionate, and certainly, less divided society, and he is calmly placing solid argument out there for consideration.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Re: Richard Dawkins ImagineFrom his website
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 11:32am

Your over-zealousness for your anti-religious stance is a little ironic Smiley

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 11:36am

As a proponent of irrationality, it is easy to see why you would conclude that Abu.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 11:49am

I'm irrational because I accept that the universe was brought into existence by an external force.

Whilst you are rational because you believe it just popped out of thin air all by itself.

This reminds me of the great debate between the illustrious Islamic Scholar Imam Abu Hanifa and the atheists of his time. When he arrived late to meet them, they noted how his poor punctuality was unbefitting for a Muslim, so he told them it was a miracle he even made it at all. As the bridge between his house and the meeting place had been destroyed, but luckily several trees had just chopped themselves down, carved themselves into the shape of platforms and pillars and then amazingly self-assembled into the shape of a bridge between his side of the bank of the river and the other. Needless to say the debate was short, and it was Islam 1-0.

But I'm sure you'll now rant and rave about how Imam Abu Hanifa must've placed a sword to their necks and forced them to accept his viewpoints...

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 11:56am

Needless to say the debate was short, and it was Islam 1-0.

Why? Did they kill him?

As I said, Dawkins is rational, and relies on logical argument, I would not expect you to even glimmer it's meaning, because you have a closed, amongst other things, mind.

That you would post what you just did, and claim it as an intellectual victory for theist beliefs indicates that.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 12:10pm

I'm irrational because I accept that the universe was brought into existence by an external force.

Whilst you are rational because you believe it just popped out of thin air all by itself.

Sorry, I skipped this because it is so basic, but for your benefit, I will expand.

Do not say I believe it popped out of thin air, because that is not what I say.
I say I do not know how the universe began.
I say that science is making some interesting discoveries, but whether it will ever be a question with a totally comprehensible answer, is something I do not know, and have never claimed to.

Your totally illogical belief is that "SOMETHING" aka Allah, had to create it, because something cannot come from nothing.

The obvious next question is where did Allah come from?
Unless Allah is the nothing needed to create something, which means you believe in nothing.
And if you want simplify it, who creates the nothing?

The simple answer is you don't know, you have been taught a fairy tale that allows you to contextualise the universe from the perspective of an imaginary construct, you are free to do that if you wish, but never try and pretend that it is not illogical.

IP Logged

Pommy Bastard

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 1:50pm

So the argument is: "I believe the flying spaggetti monster pooped the universe out of its holy bottom. You do not pretend to know how the universe came into being. So as I have an explaination, no matter how convoluted and idiotic, as I BELIEVE it to be true therefore I must be right."

The debate winner then goes on to explain how, as he believes the glorious flying spaggetti monster wants him to blow himself up in a roomful of non believers, he's off to buy some plastic explosive and a fuse.

The paucity of thought of the religious is sometimes truely astounding.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 7:57pm

Mozz, religion is not irrational. Theism and atheism are no more or less rational than each other. You could argue that agnosticism is more rational, but I don't think even that would stand up to rigourous philsophical scrutiny. Your fallacy is linking rationality with limiting belief to some arbitrary standard of evidence based support. Saying that your line in the sand is inherently more rational than someone else's is just childish. I believe it reflects modern ignorance regarding basic philosophical groundwork underpinning other fields of knowledge. It has been replaced with propaganda equating it with some kind of absolute truth. If you do not know where your own knowledge stands from a philosophical standpoint, you have no anchor to put someone else's knowledge in perspective.

Young children are not considered to be religious. Most religions have a right of passage around the time of puberty that reflects the child's personal, informed choice to join the flock, rather than their parent's choice on their behalf. Their belief is not that different from yours. If a child's parents are vegetarians or gypsies then the child will be too. This is not child abuse. To suggest that it is the case with religion merely reflect your intolerance, and that of Dawkins.

As I said, Dawkins is rational, and relies on logical argument

No he doesn't. He falls for the same basic logical fallacies that other hyped up media tarts fall for. He sacrificed rigour for publicity and income, just like a dodgy Sunday morning televangelist. Here is one example:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1195014419

Your totally illogical belief is that "SOMETHING" aka Allah, had to create it, because something cannot come from nothing.

This is a fallacy of basic logic that seems unusually common with atheist proselytisers. They assume that other people must base their belief on the same fundamental assumtions that they base their beliefs upon. They cannot comprehend an alternative philosphy or an alternative set of assumptions. They cannot comprehend faith, so assume it must be some kind of extension of reason. They try to make quality subject to truth because they cannot see value in quality alone.

So the argument is: "I believe the flying spaggetti monster pooped the universe out of its holy bottom. You do not pretend to know how the universe came into being. So as I have an explaination, no matter how convoluted and idiotic, as I BELIEVE it to be true therefore I must be right."

Same basic flaw in logic there.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 7:54am

Care to elucidate on those points FD?

You contend that faith is somehow logical, but do not explain why.
If it is why do we believe the sun will rise tomorrow argument, then don't bother.

IP Logged

Pommy Bastard

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 8:05am

freediver wrote on Jul 28th, 2008 at 7:57pm:
So the argument is: "I believe the flying spagetti monster pooped the universe out of its holy bottom. You do not pretend to know how the universe came into being. So as I have an explanation, no matter how convoluted and idiotic, as I BELIEVE it to be true therefore I must be right."

Same basic flaw in logic there.

Not at all, my argument is that belief in a theory carries no more validity  than an inability to prove a theory, if the belief itself has no proof other than "I believe it to be so".

An agnostic says "I have no proof of how the universe was made"

A religious person states "I believe the Oopah Loopah created the universe."

Both are equal in validity, and neither trumps the other, as the basic proof does not exist.

However, the agnostic admits he has no proof, the believer believes that belief itself carries some virtue.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2008 at 8:10am by Pommy Bastard »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 11:40am

You contend that faith is somehow logical, but do not explain why.

No I don't. It's almost the opposite.

However, the agnostic admits he has no proof, the believer believes that belief itself carries some virtue.

Do you claim that the belief has no virtue?

IP Logged

Pommy Bastard

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 12:04pm

freediver wrote on Jul 29th, 2008 at 11:40am:

[i]However, the agnostic admits he has no proof, the believer believes that belief itself carries some virtue.

Do you claim that the belief has no virtue?

It has virtue to the believer. To the non-believer though it may seem nothing more or less than the believer carries a delusion.

And when debating on a specific topic, the value of an unproven "belief" carries no weight.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 2:35pm

So it does not come down to one belief being more rational or 'better' than the other - it's just different beliefs and different values?

IP Logged

Pommy Bastard

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 3:31pm

freediver wrote on Jul 30th, 2008 at 2:35pm:
So it does not come down to one belief being more rational or 'better' than the other - it's just different beliefs and different values?

It's about belief being nothing more than an ephemeral choice, rather than a reasoned and logically proven empirical fact.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 3:39pm

There is no such thing as a logically proven empirical fact. That's a contradiction. This is what I mean about the complete absence of a philosophical understanding of knowledge. It is only by not understanding the limitations of other fields of knowledge that you can pretend there is some great divide between it and that which you disagree with. It is propaganda, nothing more. You believe it in the absence of a rational basis, while criticising others for doing the same.

IP Logged

Pommy Bastard

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 4:36pm

freediver wrote on Jul 30th, 2008 at 3:39pm:
There is no such thing as a logically proven empirical fact. That's a contradiction.

No it isn't. A fact is a fact. Scientific proof can be replicated and proven.

Quote:
proof   Audio Help   /pruf/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[proof] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true, or to produce belief in its truth. 
2. anything serving as such evidence: What proof do you have? 
3. the act of testing or making trial of anything; test; trial: to put a thing to the proof. 
4. the establishment of the truth of anything; demonstration. 
5. Law. (in judicial proceedings) evidence having probative weight. 
6. the effect of evidence in convincing the mind. 
7. an arithmetical operation serving to check the correctness of a calculation. 
8. Mathematics, Logic. a sequence of steps, statements, or demonstrations that leads to a valid conclusion. 
9. a test to determine the quality, durability, etc., of materials used in manufacture. 

Quote:
This is what I mean about the complete absence of a philosophical understanding of knowledge. It is only by not understanding the limitations of other fields of knowledge that you can pretend there is some great divide between it and that which you disagree with.

The difference between scientific proof, and religious belief is a totally accpted concept. The two terms have no commonality. One is a supersticion, the other is empircal evidence.

Quote:
It is propaganda, nothing more.

I agree, religious belief is propaganda, nothing more.

Quote:
 You believe it in the absence of a rational basis, while criticising others for doing the same.

No, I believe in the proof of science.

What I do not believe is a persons choice to believe in ghosts, gods, little green men from Mars, golbins , ghoolies, and things that go bump in the night, carry any validity, nor should they give anyone any influence.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 5:04pm

No it isn't. A fact is a fact.

But that is not what you said.

Scientific proof can be replicated and proven.

There is no such thing as scientific proof. It is absurd to even suggest there is, given that scientific hypotheses, theories and laws are continually disproven, and no scientist would be arrogant enough to claim that current laws are beyond this fate. This is what I mean about a complete absence of philosophical understanding of knowledge. It leads people to put things like science on a pedestal where it doesn't belong.

The difference between scientific proof, and religious belief is a totally accpted concept. The two terms have no commonality. One is a supersticion, the other is empircal evidence.

No person restricts their belief to the scientific realm.

No, I believe in the proof of science.

You believe in something that doesn't exist. You believe in propaganda. You just can't see in yourself what is obvious in others, and what to others is obvious in you. Science is your God, and you reject a rational approach to it, claiming it to be something that it clearly isn't. People like Dawkins take advantage of your total lack of understanding of what science really is. You are an embarrassment to genuine scientists. You are like the extremist claiming to have the true understanding of other people's belief systems, when you have no real understanding of it at all.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #17 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 7:03pm

Really FD, to try and say that the lack of absolute unequivocal proof, is equal to absolutely no evidential support at all is ludicrous.
That is your stance, you are just attempting to couch it in quasi-philosophical language to confuse an issue, where there need be no confusion.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 7:09pm

to try and say that the lack of absolute unequivocal proof, is equal to absolutely no evidential support at all

Strawman. That's nothing like what I am saying.

That is your stance, you are just attempting to couch it in quasi-philosophical language to confuse an issue, where there need be no confusion.

No it is not my stance. I have a genuine interest in the nature of scientific enquiry and am not trying to pass off an equally shallow argument as having philosophical value. Nor am I trying to confuse the issue. It is the absurd simplifications that have been put forward that confuses the issue. I am not confusing you, I am merely making you aware of your pre-existing confusion.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #19 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 7:49pm

to try and say that the lack of absolute unequivocal proof, is equal to absolutely no evidential support at all

Strawman. That's nothing like what I am saying.

Well it sure as heck looks like that is what you are trying to say, I must admit your lack of clarity, and conviction on the issue may be causing you to poorly convey what you are trying to say.

For instance, when you wrote;
"There is no such thing as scientific proof. It is absurd to even suggest there is, given that scientific hypotheses, theories and laws are continually disproven, and no scientist would be arrogant enough to claim that current laws are beyond this fate. This is what I mean about a complete absence of philosophical understanding of knowledge. It leads people to put things like science on a pedestal where it doesn't belong."
Here you are pretty clearly indicating that because scientific knowledge is not absolute, or finite, that we need to treat all theories or concepts with equal skepticism, that is clearly incorrect.

We must not ignore reason, and probability as meaningless in some perverse attempt at garnering respect for ludicrous religious concepts which are patent, and obvious folly.

You are not allowed to open the matchbox, but I have faith that inside the matchbox lives a purple elephant who controls the universe, I truly believe it because I have felt his presence in my heart.
I cannot open the matchbox, so I cannot show him that there is no purple elephant in there, but I also cannot give respect to a person who chooses to believe the ridiculous because they have a feeling about it.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #20 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 7:53pm

I am not ignoring reason, and estimating probability requires many assumptions. Dawkins' attempt to estimate the probability of God existing merely reflects upon his assumptions, not reality.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #21 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 9:27am

How about trying to clearly, and unequivocally, state what you are saying

Your assertion that Atheism, and Theism are equally illogical, deserves to be expanded upon with reason, argument, and evidence, care to try?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 2:26pm

Your assertion that Atheism, and Theism are equally illogical

Logic doesn't really come into it. You could say they are illogical in the sense that you cannot arive at either position through sound logic. Agnosticism seems pretty logical to me, but logic alone does not imply value. Also, there are not degrees of illogic. It is a binary thing.

What I'm trying to say in general is that you cannot draw a line between religion and other branches of philosophy or knowledge and make a rational argument that those on the other side of the line are somehow 'wrong'. Those who attempt to do this usually do so out of ignorance of the flaws in all areas of human knowledge. That is, they ascribe properties to fields like science which are out of touch with reality. They also make more fundamental mistakes, such as assigning value to truth but not to beauty. Imagine a mathematician telling an artist his work has no value because it is not true. That is what a lot of this thread sounds like to me.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #23 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 3:06pm

Are you an existentialist FD?

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #24 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 3:09pm

mozzaok wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 3:06pm:
Are you an existentialist FD?

LOL. He certainly appears to be.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #25 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 3:23pm

I've never really looked into it.

IP Logged

Pommy Bastard

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Aug 2nd, 2008 at 12:17pm

mozzaok wrote on Jul 30th, 2008 at 7:03pm:
Really FD, to try and say that the lack of absolute unequivocal proof, is equal to absolutely no evidential support at all is ludicrous.

That's why I never said that it was.

Quote:

No it isn't please quote where I have alluded to that.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #27 - Aug 2nd, 2008 at 5:50pm

I think you are getting mixed up with my replies to FD.

Your points and mine were very similiar pom.

IP Logged

Pommy Bastard

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 9:38am

mozzaok wrote on Aug 2nd, 2008 at 5:50pm:
I think you are getting mixed up with my replies to FD.

Your points and mine were very similiar pom.

My apologies, I was.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #29 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 11:23am

I understand what FD is saying when he disputes the use of the term scientific proof. There is no such thing as scientific proof, there are scientific theories that are supported by scientific evidence. Scientific ideas are by necessity in a constant state of flux. The religious set often try to attack this as a point of weakness, but that's because they don't usually have a clue how it all works. Many of the religious love the cul-de-sac security of ideas only going so far, the higher levels of reasoning going blissfully unexercised.

Personally I put my faith (notice the word I am using) in science. I like continuity, consistancy and the excitment of discovery. I am a reluctant materialist. By materialist I mean I do not believe in mind or soul IF they are supernatural. By reluctant I mean I would love to believe in something that gave me life after death, reincarnation etc etc but cannot. I consider myself a spiritual person in that I give myself  meaning and purpose to this life even though I do not believe in a soul. My baby son is my chance at life after death and I can give him soul by the quality of the message he recieves from me.

My wife is a practicing catholic, that while she believes that god created the universe initially, she also believes in evolution and the suggested scientific timeframe for evolution.

The bottom line is that she believes in a personal god, the power of prayer and miracles. On these issues I respect her right to be mistaken.  Tongue

I am not insensitive to the poetry of certain passages and sections of religious works, Genisis is a very beautifully written piece of scripture, but it is just fantasy invented by a bunch of goat herders that marvelled (understandably) at the world around them. But no more beautifully written however than the final passages of Charles Darwin's 'Origin of Species'. One of the greatest scientists in all human history who saw no irony in believing in god and his theory of evolution.

It must be the human need to feel special against the enormity of the cold dark universe that allows religion to thrive. It can't be due to the money and power grubbing administrators (clergy) of religion as skilled at mass manipulation as they are, or the juvinile tantrum throwing mass murdering gods - particularly the one of Abraham. I think it mostly comes from the idea and the reality of losing loved ones that are so much a part of the people we are. At least the religious have the fantasy that they will meet their loved one again.

I have no such relief available to me. When I lost my father 2 years ago that was the hardest thing to come to terms with. I can hope that I am wrong but I cannot believe it. As wonderful Bill Shakespeare said and I paraphrase
" it surfice that the day will end and then the end be known. If we meet again we will smile, and if not then this parting was well made".

Sorry, slightly back to topic. I enjoyed Dawkins' book 'The God Delusion' and it was generally well written. Although he is quite the zealot for non belief. As for the T.V program, he needs to work on his manners.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2008 at 11:29am by locutius »  

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #30 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 11:38am

I understand what FD is saying when he disputes the use of the term scientific proof. There is no such thing as scientific proof, there are scientific theories that are supported by scientific evidence.

Thanks Locutius. This is one of the hardest points to communicate about science. I suspect it is something to do with how science is taught. The scientific method is either not taught at all, or taught in a cursory manner. Then they go back to pretending that the little experiments they do prove the theories, and that the history of science consists of little more than clever new experiments proving to the scientific community and convincing them overnight that the new theory is right.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #31 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 12:23pm

It is academic, and totally unhelpful to get pedantic about scientific facts.
Are known basic elements facts, or theories?

Sure we must accept that all theories are just hypotheses with varying degrees of evidence supporting them, but in so many cases the preponderance of evidence is so great, that to challenge, or diminish the reliability of these theories is actually just mischievous promotion of misinformation.

Unfortunately what is an obvious and fair point, gets misused by the religious lobby, to try and elevate absolutely ridiculous beliefs, with absolutely no evidence to support them, to the same status as well established, and well documented, and repeatedly testable scientific theories, and they do not deserve to be allowed to claim that status.

It is only religion which claims to have all the answers, and claims to know absolute truth, science is never foolish enough to make such claims.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #32 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 12:29pm

It is academic, and totally unhelpful to get pedantic about scientific facts. It is a complete misunderstanding of science that causes most of these problems.

No it isn't. It goes right to the heart of the matter.

Sure we must accept that all theories are just hypotheses with varying degrees of evidence supporting them, but in so many cases the preponderance of evidence is so great, that to challenge, or diminish the reliability of these theories is actually just mischievous promotion of misinformation.

You could say the same about the theory of relativity. That's just the way science is.

Unfortunately what is an obvious and fair point, gets misused by the religious lobby, to try and elevate absolutely ridiculous beliefs, with absolutely no evidence to support them, to the same status as well established, and well documented, and repeatedly testable scientific theories, and they do not deserve to be allowed to claim that status.

They can only do so because people like Dawkins misrepresent science in order to attack them. It was the evolution lobby that opened the door on this one, not the religious lobby. If the Dawkins' of this world destroy the definition of science to attack religion, then it is inevitable that religious people will take advantage of that opening.

It is only religion which claims to have all the answers, and claims to know absolute truth, science is never foolish enough to make such claims.

Funny you should say that given your comments about mischievous new theories.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #33 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 12:57pm

I guess it comes down to trust FD.

If we have a religion telling people that god will protect them from bullets, should they accept that, or would they err on the side of the repeated evidence that people hit with bullets usually get hurt?

That is the basic question, do we give a baseless claim credence, because it claims religious divination, or do we go with the best evidence we have?

It is a tough question, for many, but glaringly obvious to others.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #34 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 2:04pm

If we have a religion telling people that god will protect them from bullets

Religions don't tend to make claims that can be tested. The few that do, like doomsday cults, don't last long.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #35 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 2:08pm

freediver wrote on Aug 8th, 2008 at 2:04pm:
If we have a religion telling people that god will protect them from bullets

Religions don't tend to make claims that can be tested. The few that do, like
doomsday cults, don't last long

Grin Nice one FD !

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #36 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 8:49am

Are they not ALL doomsday cults?

This life is just a test to see how good a seat you will get in heaven.

All death cults degrade themselves by placing more importance on life after death, than life itself.

IP Logged

Pommy Bastard

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 9:40am

All religions promise 'Jam tomorrow", none deliver.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #38 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 9:52am

mozzaok wrote on Aug 9th, 2008 at 8:49am:
Are they not ALL doomsday cults?

This life is just a test to see how good a seat you will get in heaven.

All death cults degrade themselves by placing more importance on life after death, than life itself.

All religions prescribe how we should live and offer a solution to the mystery of death, because what we all want is freedom from fear and doubt.

Is there a greater mystery and a more consuming fear than death?

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #39 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 10:50am

Quote:
a more consuming fear than death?

Agonising pain is up there for me.

I had a very prolonged and very painful experience as a young man, and I would always have rather died, than go through it again, until the responsibility of parenthood made me reconsider.

But if it was just me to consider, no worries, give me death any day.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #40 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 8:31pm

Apparently most people who hang themselves the slow way (no broken neck) change their mind at the last second and choose life. For most of them, it's too late.

IP Logged

Pommy Bastard

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 10:26am

freediver wrote on Aug 10th, 2008 at 8:31pm:
Apparently most people who hang themselves the slow way (no broken neck) change their mind at the last second and choose life. For most of them, it's too late.

How do we know that the ones who succeeded changed their minds?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #42 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 10:39am

From the cctv video you get in jails and nuthouses.

IP Logged

Pommy Bastard

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 2:21pm

As a specialist in the treatment of schizophrenia, I don't care much for the term "nuthouses."

And I don't find your argument for cctv images very persuasive..

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #44 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 2:26pm

Another source would be survivors of either failed attempts or who were cut down by someone at the last minute.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #45 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 9:24pm

mozzaok wrote on Aug 8th, 2008 at 12:23pm:
It is academic, and totally unhelpful to get pedantic about scientific facts.
Are known basic elements facts, or theories?

http://www.sixteensmallstones.org/c-s-lewis-on-scientific-fact-versus-scientific-theory

In our age I think it would be fair to say that the ease with which a scientific theory assumes the dignity and rigidity of fact varies inversely with the individual's scientific education. In discussion with wholly uneducated audiences I have sometimes found matter which real scientists would regard as highly speculative more firmly believed than many things within our real knowledge. The _imago_ of the Cave Man ranked as hard fact, and the life of Caesar or Napoleon as doubtful rumour. We must not, however, hastily assume that the situation was quite the same in the Middle Ages. The mass media which have in our time created a popular scientism, a caricature of the true sciences, did not then exist. The ignorant were more aware of their ignorance then than now.

Some interesting quotes from Dawkins:

http://www.lewissociety.org/scientism.php

Let me attempt to give just a flavor of Dawkins' worldview. For example, he describes love as "a product of highly complicated... nervous equipment or computing equipment of some sort."  Free advice to young people: this is not likely to be an effective way to win the heart of that person with whom you are infatuated.  If you do feel that way about your sweetheart, it may be better to keep the conviction to yourself.  When asked if such a worldview is depressing, Dawkins responds "I don't feel depressed about it.  But if somebody does, that's their problem.  Maybe the logic is deeply pessimistic, the universe is bleak, cold and empty.  But so what?"

Scientism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism

The term scientism can be used as a neutral term to describe the view that natural science has authority over all other interpretations of life, such as philosophical, religious, mythical, spiritual, or humanistic explanations, and over other fields of inquiry, such as the social sciences. It also can imply a criticism of an actual or perceived misapplication or misuse of the authority of science in either of two directions:

The term is often used as a pejorative[1][2] to indicate the improper usage of science or scientific claims.[3] In this sense, the charge of scientism often is used as a counter-argument to appeals to scientific authority in contexts where science might not apply,[4] such as when the topic is perceived to be beyond the scope of scientific inquiry.
The term is also used to pejoratively refer to "the belief that the methods of natural science, or the categories and things recognized in natural science, form the only proper elements in any philosophical or other inquiry,"[2] with a concomitant "elimination of the psychological dimensions of experience".[5][6] It thus expresses a position critical of (at least the more extreme expressions of) positivism.[7][8]
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2008 at 9:29pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print