Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Richard Dawkins ImagineFrom his website (Read 5816 times)
mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Richard Dawkins ImagineFrom his website
Jul 27th, 2008 at 11:29am

From his website
http://richarddawkins.net/article,1,Imagine-No-Religion,Richard-Dawkins

Go to the site if interested in some rational reasoning, but I will paste a couple of extracts.

"What can it mean to speak of a child's 'own' religion? Imagine a world in which it was normal to speak of a Keynesian child, a Hayekian child, or a Marxist child. Or imagine a proposal to pour government money into separate primary schools for Labour children, Tory children, LibDem children and Monster Raving Loony children? Everyone agrees that small children are too young to know whether they are Keynesian or Monetarist, Labour or Tory, too young to bear the burden of such labels. Why, then, is our entire society happy to slap a label like Catholic or Protestant, Muslim or Jew, on a tiny child? Isn't that, when you think about it, a kind of mental child abuse?"

"Of course today's religious killings and persecutions are not motivated by theological disputes. IRA gunmen don't kill Protestants (or vice versa) over disagreements about transubstantiation. The motive is more likely to be tribal vengeance. It was one of 'them' killed one of 'us'. 'They' drove 'our' great grandfathers out of our ancestral lands. The grievances are economic and political, not religious, and the vendettas stretch back a long way.

But although the tribal disagreements themselves have nothing to do with religion, the fact that there are two tribes at all has everything to do with religion."

It is nice to see my disorganised thoughts, assembled neatly by one far smarter than myself, I do like this Dawkins character, as I see the shedding of religious attachments as a path to a more peaceful, compassionate, and certainly, less divided society, and he is calmly placing solid argument out there for consideration.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Re: Richard Dawkins ImagineFrom his website
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 11:32am

Your over-zealousness for your anti-religious stance is a little ironic Smiley

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 11:36am

As a proponent of irrationality, it is easy to see why you would conclude that Abu.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 11:49am

I'm irrational because I accept that the universe was brought into existence by an external force.

Whilst you are rational because you believe it just popped out of thin air all by itself.

This reminds me of the great debate between the illustrious Islamic Scholar Imam Abu Hanifa and the atheists of his time. When he arrived late to meet them, they noted how his poor punctuality was unbefitting for a Muslim, so he told them it was a miracle he even made it at all. As the bridge between his house and the meeting place had been destroyed, but luckily several trees had just chopped themselves down, carved themselves into the shape of platforms and pillars and then amazingly self-assembled into the shape of a bridge between his side of the bank of the river and the other. Needless to say the debate was short, and it was Islam 1-0.

But I'm sure you'll now rant and rave about how Imam Abu Hanifa must've placed a sword to their necks and forced them to accept his viewpoints...

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 11:56am

Needless to say the debate was short, and it was Islam 1-0.

Why? Did they kill him?

As I said, Dawkins is rational, and relies on logical argument, I would not expect you to even glimmer it's meaning, because you have a closed, amongst other things, mind.

That you would post what you just did, and claim it as an intellectual victory for theist beliefs indicates that.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 12:10pm

I'm irrational because I accept that the universe was brought into existence by an external force.

Whilst you are rational because you believe it just popped out of thin air all by itself.

Sorry, I skipped this because it is so basic, but for your benefit, I will expand.

Do not say I believe it popped out of thin air, because that is not what I say.
I say I do not know how the universe began.
I say that science is making some interesting discoveries, but whether it will ever be a question with a totally comprehensible answer, is something I do not know, and have never claimed to.

Your totally illogical belief is that "SOMETHING" aka Allah, had to create it, because something cannot come from nothing.

The obvious next question is where did Allah come from?
Unless Allah is the nothing needed to create something, which means you believe in nothing.
And if you want simplify it, who creates the nothing?

The simple answer is you don't know, you have been taught a fairy tale that allows you to contextualise the universe from the perspective of an imaginary construct, you are free to do that if you wish, but never try and pretend that it is not illogical.

IP Logged

Pommy Bastard

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 1:50pm

So the argument is: "I believe the flying spaggetti monster pooped the universe out of its holy bottom. You do not pretend to know how the universe came into being. So as I have an explaination, no matter how convoluted and idiotic, as I BELIEVE it to be true therefore I must be right."

The debate winner then goes on to explain how, as he believes the glorious flying spaggetti monster wants him to blow himself up in a roomful of non believers, he's off to buy some plastic explosive and a fuse.

The paucity of thought of the religious is sometimes truely astounding.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 7:57pm

Mozz, religion is not irrational. Theism and atheism are no more or less rational than each other. You could argue that agnosticism is more rational, but I don't think even that would stand up to rigourous philsophical scrutiny. Your fallacy is linking rationality with limiting belief to some arbitrary standard of evidence based support. Saying that your line in the sand is inherently more rational than someone else's is just childish. I believe it reflects modern ignorance regarding basic philosophical groundwork underpinning other fields of knowledge. It has been replaced with propaganda equating it with some kind of absolute truth. If you do not know where your own knowledge stands from a philosophical standpoint, you have no anchor to put someone else's knowledge in perspective.

Young children are not considered to be religious. Most religions have a right of passage around the time of puberty that reflects the child's personal, informed choice to join the flock, rather than their parent's choice on their behalf. Their belief is not that different from yours. If a child's parents are vegetarians or gypsies then the child will be too. This is not child abuse. To suggest that it is the case with religion merely reflect your intolerance, and that of Dawkins.

As I said, Dawkins is rational, and relies on logical argument

No he doesn't. He falls for the same basic logical fallacies that other hyped up media tarts fall for. He sacrificed rigour for publicity and income, just like a dodgy Sunday morning televangelist. Here is one example:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1195014419

Your totally illogical belief is that "SOMETHING" aka Allah, had to create it, because something cannot come from nothing.

This is a fallacy of basic logic that seems unusually common with atheist proselytisers. They assume that other people must base their belief on the same fundamental assumtions that they base their beliefs upon. They cannot comprehend an alternative philosphy or an alternative set of assumptions. They cannot comprehend faith, so assume it must be some kind of extension of reason. They try to make quality subject to truth because they cannot see value in quality alone.

So the argument is: "I believe the flying spaggetti monster pooped the universe out of its holy bottom. You do not pretend to know how the universe came into being. So as I have an explaination, no matter how convoluted and idiotic, as I BELIEVE it to be true therefore I must be right."

Same basic flaw in logic there.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 7:54am

Care to elucidate on those points FD?

You contend that faith is somehow logical, but do not explain why.
If it is why do we believe the sun will rise tomorrow argument, then don't bother.

IP Logged

Pommy Bastard

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 8:05am

freediver wrote on Jul 28th, 2008 at 7:57pm:
So the argument is: "I believe the flying spagetti monster pooped the universe out of its holy bottom. You do not pretend to know how the universe came into being. So as I have an explanation, no matter how convoluted and idiotic, as I BELIEVE it to be true therefore I must be right."

Same basic flaw in logic there.

Not at all, my argument is that belief in a theory carries no more validity  than an inability to prove a theory, if the belief itself has no proof other than "I believe it to be so".

An agnostic says "I have no proof of how the universe was made"

A religious person states "I believe the Oopah Loopah created the universe."

Both are equal in validity, and neither trumps the other, as the basic proof does not exist.

However, the agnostic admits he has no proof, the believer believes that belief itself carries some virtue.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2008 at 8:10am by Pommy Bastard »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 11:40am

You contend that faith is somehow logical, but do not explain why.

No I don't. It's almost the opposite.

However, the agnostic admits he has no proof, the believer believes that belief itself carries some virtue.

Do you claim that the belief has no virtue?

IP Logged

Pommy Bastard

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 12:04pm

freediver wrote on Jul 29th, 2008 at 11:40am:

[i]However, the agnostic admits he has no proof, the believer believes that belief itself carries some virtue.

Do you claim that the belief has no virtue?

It has virtue to the believer. To the non-believer though it may seem nothing more or less than the believer carries a delusion.

And when debating on a specific topic, the value of an unproven "belief" carries no weight.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 2:35pm

So it does not come down to one belief being more rational or 'better' than the other - it's just different beliefs and different values?

IP Logged

Pommy Bastard

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 3:31pm

freediver wrote on Jul 30th, 2008 at 2:35pm:
So it does not come down to one belief being more rational or 'better' than the other - it's just different beliefs and different values?

It's about belief being nothing more than an ephemeral choice, rather than a reasoned and logically proven empirical fact.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 3:39pm

There is no such thing as a logically proven empirical fact. That's a contradiction. This is what I mean about the complete absence of a philosophical understanding of knowledge. It is only by not understanding the limitations of other fields of knowledge that you can pretend there is some great divide between it and that which you disagree with. It is propaganda, nothing more. You believe it in the absence of a rational basis, while criticising others for doing the same.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print