Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Thankyou Message For Bali Bombers! (Read 8788 times)
bluebird

Australian Politics

Thankyou Message For Bali Bombers!
Jul 26th, 2008 at 6:24pm

Muslim Cleric Sheikh Haron has a thank you message for the Bali Bombers. In the thank you message the spokesperson says that the Bali Bombers are better than Schapelle Corby...
What are your opinions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFNf4kYu3sI

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Thankyou Message For Bali Bombers!
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 6:52pm

Well in some ways it's correct actually. Drug dealers ruin far more lives in Australia and overseas than terrorists do, yet the politicians are hypocritical enough to say a terrorist should be executed but drug dealers shouldn't. That is very hypocritical.

There is however in that tape many points which were very illogical, Shapelle Corby was caught with 4kg of marijuana, from my undersanding the other guy who got executed  that was mentioned had herion I think. There is a big difference between heroin and marijuana and governments class them as different categories of drugs. Australia did make too much of a big deal, she received a fair trial and it was proven beyond reasonable doubt that she had trafficked drugs so it is inappropriate for the Australian government to interfere as well as Australians to expect that she be let off for her crime. But having said that the punishment she did get which initially was 15 years in jail but was boosted to 20 after her appeal failed was fair. She shouldn't have done it and people like her are scum. But I don't feel the death sentence would have been applicable from the Indonesian side even without interference, in fact I personally believe that she was given a harsher sentence for the trouble that she caused in the courtroom and the farce that she made of the whole thin in addition to the Australian public's behaviour towards it.

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 11:20pm

I have a lot of experience with Indonesia and have personal contacts there.

When Sharpelle was arrested it wasn't even reported in the Indonesian media. However, when there was Aussie backlash (even before the trial began) - with inflamatory comments against Indonesian authorities, attacks on Indonesian owned shops, assaults on Indonesians in Oz, and even white powder sent to the Indonesian embassy their media started taking notice of the case and the reaction from Aussies. As a result this resulted in anti-Aussie sentiment and hardened the resolve of the Indonesian people and their authorities. Sharpelle may have gottena fair trial and maybe even be given a lighter sentence (as in Leslie Phillips and Nick Taylor, the Aussie DJ) but Oz, Aussies and Aussie media essentially ruined that for her. When the Corbys hired a flamboyant Indo lawyer he quietly suggested that maybe they "donate" a small fee to the courts. It was widely reported here that he tried to offer a bribe etc. Everyone knows the judiciary system is corrupt (although they have been trying to stamp this out and have been largely successful). But by reporting this and making it public - of course the judges are going to say we don't accept bribes. As a result Corby's trial went ahead. This also forced the authorities to stand their ground as being hard on drugs - afterall the world is now looking at them (thanks to Aussie overreaction).

I believe that without any publicity she would have gotten less than a year. With the publicity, she would have been found guilty and given a 20 year sentence which would have made the Indo law system look like they are tough drugs. Then on appeal, that would have been reduced to 10 and maybe even 5 years. With a annual Ramadan discount she would have been out within 3 years. However, when the first sentence was given this started another wave of anti-Indonesian sentiments. Even the Corbys appealed to the Aussie public to clam down as it's not doing them any favours.

Aussies ruined her chances by being high and mighty.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 11:29am

Quote:
Muslim Cleric Sheikh Haron...

Since the Australian Muslim community don't even know who this "Sheikh Harun" is, and even ASIO express doubts about his identity/authenticity, this post isn't really worth the electrons you typed it in.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 2:36pm

I suspect that it's the so-called Fake Sheikh.

Sheiky grounds anyway. Here's his website:
http://www.sheikhharon.com/

"The Australian Muslim Cleric, Sheikh Haron, is the same Ayatollah Manteghi Boroujerdi who has formally changed his name and that's why some people were confused who was Sheikh Haron? The Islamic website of this Australian Muslim cleric is a site generally about spirituality and particularly about Allah, Islam, Shariah law and Jihad."
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2008 at 2:42pm by muso »  

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Exotic Cheese

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 4:17pm

Malik Shakur wrote on Jul 26th, 2008 at 6:52pm:
Well in some ways it's correct actually. Drug dealers ruin far more lives in Australia and overseas than terrorists do

Roll Eyes

Sure they do

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:02pm

Exotic Cheese wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 at 4:17pm:
Well in some ways it's correct actually. Drug dealers ruin far more lives in Australia and overseas than terrorists do

Roll Eyes

Sure they do

Are you saying they don't?

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:31pm

Did you hear that Victa have brought out a new lawnmower? The Victa Schapelle holds 4kg of grass and comes with a 20 year guarantee.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:38pm

Quote:

Some more pertinent questions are: Would you regard Amrozi as a martyr? and Do you agree that the acts of the Bali bombers should be downplayed like this?

To talk about the bombings this way is disrespectful. Do you agree?

IP Logged

Exotic Cheese

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:41pm

Malik Shakur wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:02pm:

Roll Eyes

Sure they do

If you mean strictly illegal drugs when you talk about drug dealers than no they don't the statement is idiotic.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:51pm

Exotic Cheese wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:41pm:

Roll Eyes

Sure they do

If you mean strictly illegal drugs when you talk about drug dealers than no they don't the statement is idiotic.

they don't?

perhaps you can tell me how many people died in the world from drug overdoses or drug related violence last year.. and tell me if the death toll was surpassed by terrorism?

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:57pm

You can't compare people dying by willingly taking drugs to people dying by unwillingly being blown up, shot or decapitated.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #12 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 6:08pm

easel wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:57pm:
You can't compare people dying by willingly taking drugs to people dying by unwillingly being blown up, shot or decapitated.

Yes you can

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 6:11pm

You can?

Can you also see the comparative similarities between geology and aquaculture?

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

Exotic Cheese

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 6:33pm

Malik Shakur wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:51pm:
Exotic Cheese wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:41pm:

Roll Eyes

Sure they do

they don't?

perhaps you can tell me how many people died in the world from drug overdoses or drug related violence last year.. and tell me if the death toll was surpassed by terrorism?

I can't tell you because it would require a research project and more time than I'm willing to give a discussion this stupid.

They aren't even comparable, illegal drug deaths are in the low thousands while terrorism is in the tens of thousands.

Drug violence is a social problem and not related to the drugs themselves.

IP Logged

djrbfm

OzPolitic

Reply #15 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 3:44am

guys,
the only one to blame for taking drugs is the taker.
legalizing them will take the dealer - middle man - out of the frame.
a lot of resources that could be used elsewhere are chewed up snaring dealers.
no gov't will ever stop the drug trade.

as for the bali bomber/s.

these individuals planned the murder of other human beings.
death is too good for them.

DR9.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #16 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 7:52am

I think it is reprehensible to thank murderers for not killing more innocent people. Why stop at the Bali bombers? Why not go into the prisons of Australia and thank men who have murdered children that they only killed a kid or two? (Like Aliya Zilic who murdered his 3 year old son and threw his body into a mine shaft - does he deserve praise for only killing one child?).

As for the cases of Schapelle Corby and Van Tuong Nguyen, I agree that many Australians acted abysmally throughout the Corby case and the best assessment I have ever read about Australia's over-reaction is attached (written by Andrew Bolt 1/6/2005).

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,15470184-25717,00.html

The Van Tuong Nguyen case differs from Corby in that he pleaded guilty to the charge. Corby (however spurious her defence) has always maintained her innocence.

The Australian government petitioned the Singaporean government for clemency for Nguyen and did as much as was possible for a man who had pleaded guilty to the charge in the first place. To claim that the Australian government did not do enough in his case is incorrect. However, to claim that the Australian government and many ordinary Australians went too far in their defence of Corby is a fair assessment.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #17 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 8:24am

Let us not forget that evil, rat faced little cleric, who is now free to keep preaching his murderous hate.

I can understand emotional, and psychologically programmed, young men, never pausing long enough to  reflect deeply on what they were actually doing.
Their teacher however, is a force of evil, and the most dangerous of them all, and is free to recruit more emissaries of hatred in the name of his god.

Throughout much of the muslim world he is now feted openly by the zealots, and privately, by many more, although they would not admit it to an infidel.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #18 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 12:37pm

Good post.

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 28th, 2008 at 7:52am:
....I agree that many Australians acted abysmally throughout the Corby case and the best assessment I have ever read about Australia's over-reaction is attached (written by Andrew Bolt 1/6/2005).

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,15470184-25717,00.html

This is one of the few articles by Andrew Bolt that I actually agree with.

Quote:
Damn those natives. "The judges don't even speak English, mate, they're straight out of the trees, if you excuse my expression," raged 2GB Sydney fill-in host Malcolm T. Elliott.

"Whoa, give them a banana and away they go."

Others screamed that the judges were lying Muslims out for revenge (in fact, the chief judge was a Christian, and the other two Hindus).

No surprise, then, that Indonesian officials here were bombarded with so many threats and insults that Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander Downer had to plead for them to be left alone. What would we say of Indonesians if our own diplomats were monstered like this?

Now Corby's defenders demand we boycott struggling Bali. Actor Russell Crowe, among others, even warned Indonesia to remember we gave money for its tsunami victims -- as if we only gave charity in exchange for passes out of jail.

Sick, but the feeling has grown. The Salvation Army, out on its Red Shield appeal, had to promise not to send donations to Indonesia. Let their poor suffer for "our" Schapelle.

Meanwhile, radio hosts insisted the Prime Minister call the Indonesian President to fix things in court for Corby, as if such interference wasn't plainly corrupt.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #19 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 8:11pm

Welcome to OzPolitic, bluebird and Exotic Cheese.

Malik:

Drug dealers ruin far more lives in Australia and overseas than terrorists do

One terrorist causes far more harm than one drug dealer. Do you think that because the Bali bombers come from a smaller group of 'troublemakers' they are better people? This is an absurd conclusion.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #20 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 8:45pm

The thing is, there are "good" bad people and "bad" bad people, the "good" bad people kill the bad good people but the "bad" bad people kill the good bad people. Get it?

"We should always say that I may refrain from publishing a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed, but it's because I fear you. Don't for one moment think it's because I respect you." Richard Dawkins

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #21 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 9:22pm

freediver wrote on Jul 28th, 2008 at 8:11pm:
Welcome to OzPolitic, bluebird and Exotic Cheese.

Malik:

Drug dealers ruin far more lives in Australia and overseas than terrorists do

One terrorist causes far more harm than one drug dealer. Do you think that because the Bali bombers come from a smaller group of 'troublemakers' they are better people? This is an absurd conclusion.

What's more absurd is your idiotic assumption of me FD, where on earth did I say that?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 11:43am

Malik, you responded to this comment:

bluebird wrote on Jul 26th, 2008 at 6:24pm:
Muslim Cleric Sheikh Haron has a thank you message for the Bali Bombers. In the thank you message the spokesperson says that the Bali Bombers are better than Schapelle Corby...
What are your opinions?

with this:

Well in some ways it's correct actually. Drug dealers ruin far more lives in Australia and overseas than terrorists do.....

IP Logged

bluebird

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 8:00pm

It was really interesting to read people's opinions on this matter.
In my opinion I do believe drug dealers do ruin far more lives than overseas terrorists do. Whether its the one who sells heroin or the one that sells marijuana. My reason for saying this is that most people once they've had their first hit of heroin they become addicts, you see them all over the place, their lives are ruined. The ones that are lucky enough to realise that they have a problem very seldom are able to kick the habit and go on to live a happy & healthy life. As for ones that sell marijuana well, we can say its a soft drug, only a bit of grass. That bit of grass is the stepping stone to harder drugs in most cases, because after a while the pots not strong enough. How many of these drug addicts actually clean themselves up? Lets be a little realistic. Most usually spend their life off their head that they just get stuck in the cycle and it becomes a normal part of life for them, so they hook up with another addict have kids because well, why wouldn't they its all a big haze and the next thing you know the kid had its first taste of a joint at the age of 10 and its first hit of heroin by the time they're twelve all because that's all they grew up to know because that's what their parents did. Give it a little time those kids are teenagers they left school at the age of 13 because well why get an education when you can spend the rest of your life bumming around and scoring your next hit of what one may think is reality but its not. They wouldn't know real life if it kicked them in the face. And then their kids have the same lifestyle. And their kids. It happens but it not often that a child breaks out of the lifestyle that it grew up with.But this is how it all starts, the temptation to try any sort of drug is the first step in ruining ones life. So this in fact has ruined thousands and thousands of lives and their kids too. So as far as I am concerned the amount of people killed during the blast is no where near as many as the lives that would be ruined by the drugs that Shapelle tried to take into Bali.

IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #24 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 8:24pm

A certain amount of personal responsibility must come into it. You choose drugs, you choose the consequences. Don't get me wrong, I think drug dealers are slimes of the earth and need to be put in jail for a very long time, but I don't think they are worse than those who kill innocent people who have made no personal choice to endanger their lives....they just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"We should always say that I may refrain from publishing a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed, but it's because I fear you. Don't for one moment think it's because I respect you." Richard Dawkins

IP Logged

Exotic Cheese

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 9:37pm

Quote:
Whether its the one who sells heroin or the one that sells marijuana.

People who sell marijuana ruin lives? You have a firm grasp of reality.

Quote:
My reason for saying this is that most people once they've had their first hit of heroin they become addicts,

No, they don't.

Quote:
That bit of grass is the stepping stone to harder drugs in most cases

No, it isn't.

Quote:
because after a while the pots not strong enough. How many of these drug addicts actually clean themselves up? Lets be a little realistic.

Ok here is being realistic; I have smoked cannabis on and off since I was 15 years old. I have also tried heroin, meth/amphetamine, cocaine, mdma and a number of different psychedelics including mushrooms and dmt. I have never used cigarettes, alcohol or coffee for prolonged periods of time. 

Quote:
But this is how it all starts, the temptation to try any sort of drug is the first step in ruining ones life.

I have three bachelors degrees, one masters degree, a wonderful home life, loving family and friends, run/gym 6 days a week, have no mental or physical defects, enjoy the career/job I'm in and so on and so forth.

Oh sh.it maybe I'm just high on the heroin/marijuana and imagined all that? If only I hadn't taken that first step.

Quote:
Most usually spend their life off their head that they just get stuck in the cycle and it becomes a normal part of life for them, so they hook up with another addict have kids because well, why wouldn't they its all a big haze and the next thing you know the kid had its first taste of a joint at the age of 10 and its first hit of heroin by the time they're twelve all because that's all they grew up to know because that's what their parents did. Give it a little time those kids are teenagers they left school at the age of 13 because well why get an education when you can spend the rest of your life bumming around and scoring your next hit of what one may think is reality but its not. They wouldn't know real life if it kicked them in the face. And then their kids have the same lifestyle. And their kids. It happens but it not often that a child breaks out of the lifestyle that it grew up with.

You just described poverty.

Quote:
So this in fact has ruined thousands and thousands of lives and their kids too. So as far as I am concerned the amount of people killed during the blast is no where near as many as the lives that would be ruined by the drugs that Shapelle tried to take into Bali.

Quote:
You have a firm grasp of reality.

IP Logged

Exotic Cheese

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 9:41pm

jordan484 wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 8:24pm:
A certain amount of personal responsibility must come into it. You choose drugs, you choose the consequences. Don't get me wrong, I think drug dealers are slimes of the earth and need to be put in jail for a very long time

Alcohol, tobacco and prescription drug deaths grossly outnumber the deaths of all illegal drugs combined. The corporations behind these products are also the slime of the earth right?

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #27 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 9:44pm

freediver wrote on Jul 29th, 2008 at 11:43am:
Malik, you responded to this comment:

bluebird wrote on Jul 26th, 2008 at 6:24pm:
What are your opinions?

with this:

Well in some ways it's correct actually. Drug dealers ruin far more lives in Australia and overseas than terrorists do.....

How about you put the whole sentence there FD instead of misrepresenting what I said.

Quote:
Well in some ways it's correct actually. Drug dealers ruin far more lives in Australia and overseas than terrorists do, yet the politicians are hypocritical enough to say a terrorist should be executed but drug dealers shouldn't. That is very hypocritical.

I was referring to the the fact that the government would put a terrorist to death, yet they wouldn't put a drug dealer to death when the damage that drug dealers do all over the world is far worse than what terrorists do. I never said that I consider terrorists any better, both are scum.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #28 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 9:51pm

I didn't misrepresent what you said Malik. I quoted you.

IP Logged

Exotic Cheese

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 10:09pm

Quote:
I was referring to the the fact that the government would put a terrorist to death, yet they wouldn't put a drug dealer to death when the damage that drug dealers do all over the world is far worse than what terrorists do.

The annual global deaths attributed to illegal drugs is so low its almost unmeasurable compared to terrorism.

Terrorism is direct aggression.
Drugs are selling a product to a market.

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #30 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 11:09pm

The number of deaths in 2000 attributed to illicit drugs in the US is 17,000.
Source: http://www.drugwarfacts.org/causes.htm#item1

The average number of drug related deaths in Oz (1991-2001) is 1210.
Source: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/ProductsbyTopic/E32F06E91C80389DCA256D64...

Approx 208 million people aged 15-64 years (4.8% of world population) worldwide are drug users (at least once a year to regular users). Of the 208 million, 26 million are problem users (0.6% of the world population).
Source: https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/data-and-analysis/WDR-2008.html

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #31 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 11:30pm

The number of deaths attributed to terrorism (post 9/11) 2001-2004 is 2929 deaths.
Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5889435/

The number of Israelis killed in terror attacks is 1169 deaths (2000-2008).
Source: http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Terrorism-+Obstacle+to+Peace/Palestinian+terror+since+...

35,023 people died from a terrorist act (1968-2006) with a ratio of 1.6 deaths per terrorist act, and an average of 898 deaths annually.
Source: http://www.nationmaster.com/cat/ter-terrorism

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #32 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 11:44pm

Thank you acid..

I might point out that those deaths for the drug related were actually only in the US as you mentioned. The toll for the rest of the world would have increased it quite a bit.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #33 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 11:53pm

bluebird wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 8:00pm:
It was really interesting to read people's opinions on this matter.

I notice you didn't mention the video maker's other point, that being - praising the Bali bombers for only killing a couple of hundred innocents.

What are your thoughts on thanking Aliya Zilic who murdered his 3 year old son, Imran and threw his body into a mine shaft? I heard a rumour he pinned the little boy to the ground by the neck and smashed his face into his brain. Later he threw his battered remains down a mine shaft. They say the boy's mother suffered such a deep shock that she may never fully recover. What are your thoughts on sending him a 'Thank You' card for only murdering one little child? Or perhaps thanking him for killing him by smashing his face into his brain with a rock instead of dismembering him alive?

You don't have to answer that. Of course you don't approve, because I'm prepared to bet you're not a monster.

That video, by the way, was a contemptible and gutless attempt at covertly approving the work of murderers - to thank them no less - which is as evil in its intent as thanking Zilic for bashing his son to death.

« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2008 at 12:10am by NorthOfNorth »  

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #34 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 1:30am

Malik Shakur wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 11:44pm:
Thank you acid..

I might point out that those deaths for the drug related were actually only in the US as you mentioned. The toll for the rest of the world would have increased it quite a bit.

Yes, the global stats for death attributed to illicit drugs is a little hard to find and possibly requires a combination of several reports from individual nations. I'm looking through the UNODC website hoping to find something. It would be an interesting stat to know.

IP Logged

Exotic Cheese

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 2:43am

Acid Monkey wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 11:30pm:
The number of deaths attributed to terrorism (post 9/11) 2001-2004 is 2929 deaths.
Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5889435/

Haha.

We are talking about real terrorism here. You know things like invading multiple countries, 10,000s of dead people, millions of refugees.

Quote:
The number of Israelis killed in terror attacks is 1169 deaths (2000-2008).
Source: http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Terrorism-+Obstacle+to+Peace/Palestinian+terror+since+...

You are using THAT on a discussion on terrorism? Wow...

Quote:
35,023 people died from a terrorist act (1968-2006) with a ratio of 1.6 deaths per terrorist act, and an average of 898 deaths annually.
Source: http://www.nationmaster.com/cat/ter-terrorism

(1968-2006) and only 35k people died from terrorism? Haha what a relief for states like Israel and the U.S.

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #36 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 9:29am

Exotic Cheese wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 2:43am:
We are talking about real terrorism here. You know things like invading multiple countries, 10,000s of dead people, millions of refugees.

I think you are alluding to the US unlawful invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq. You could equate that to terrorism (depending on which side of the fence you're on). A 1988 study have found that there are over 100 different definitions for the word terrorism. However, the global accepted definition is:

1. acts which are intended to create fear (terror), are perpetrated for an ideological goal (as opposed to a lone attack), and deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants.

2. a form of unconventional warfare and psychological warfare.

You are using THAT on a discussion on terrorism? Wow...

What's wrong with THAT? They are statistics. Just because they are from IMFA doesn't make it any less legitimate than the Iraqi Body Count (http://www.iraqbodycount.org/

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #37 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 10:22am

I think you are all missing a big point here. Saying that drugs cause a lot of deaths does not mean that Schapelle Corby should be punished the same as a terrorist, any more than saying that car crashes causing lots of deaths mean that drivers should be put to death. Drugs and car crashes are a bigger problems because there are more people doing it, not because the people doing it are such bad people. Terrorism causes fewer deaths despite the evil involved, because there are so few terrorists. An individual terrorist is still at the bottom of the pile compared to a pot smuggler.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #38 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 11:10am

Acid,

The US actions clearly fit even the "Internationally accepted" definition you gave:

Quote:
acts which are intended to create fear (terror)

Yep, I'm positive the Afghan and Iraqi civilians who had US bombs dropped on their homes and US troops firing into their houses and entering by force were quite terrified and in fear.

Quote:
are perpetrated for an ideological goal (as opposed to a lone attack)

Yep, definitely not lone attacks, these are part of a clear and continuing ideological war for the US to dominate the oil rich region and to counter Islamicists.

Quote:
and deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants.

Yep they regularly do this, although they make press releases later and use terms like regrettable and unfortunate and other less sugar coated phrases like "collateral damage" and "human shields".

Quote:
a form of unconventional warfare

What really is the meaning of unconventional? If the bomb was made in a factory in the US or in a backyard in Baghdad, doesn't really make much difference to the poor soul being blown to smithereens does it?

Quote:
and psychological warfare.

We've seen plenty of this. Abu Ghraib anyone?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #39 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 11:13am

Abu, by trying to protray conventional war as terrorism you are playing into their propaganda.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #40 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 11:26am

freediver, The quality of workmanship of the incendiary device used to blow somebody up is hardly  any consolation to the victim, and that's really what the term "unconventional" is all about. It's about saying "We are all advanced and technological and we drop our bombs from high up in the sky with the dignified press of a button like good civilised people, whilst the terrorists make their bombs themselves in makeshift backyard labs and strap them to themselves and detonate them at close range to the victim, those uncivilised barbarians".

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #41 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 11:30am

So why are you reinforcing the idea that terrorism is worse than war?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #42 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 11:56am

I'm not, I'm exposing the hypocrisy of the US claim that their military actions in Afghanistan and Iraq are actions of "convential" warfare that are just and right, whilst the military actions of those who resist their occupation is unjust, wrong and terrorist because it's "unconventional".

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #43 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 12:00pm

Can you link me to where the US made that claim?

They are terrorist acts because they are unconventional. That's the definition of terrorism.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #44 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 1:42pm

freediver,

Quote:

Are you just trying to be difficult because I asked you for evidence about claims you made, which we both now know aren't true?

Now I seem to remember a statement something about bringing people  to justice or bringing justice to them. I think that's evidence enough for claims of a "just and right" war.

Really I'm surprised you bothered asking for evidence of this.

Quote:
They are terrorist acts because they are unconventional. That's the definition of terrorism.

Yes, so we've heard, now please define unconventional for me.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #45 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 1:57pm

I prefer to define it in terms of whether there is a nation-state behind it. That's really what the difference between terrorism and war boils down to.

I asked you whether the US made that claim because I think your argument is a strawman. In my opinion, they have valid reasons for declaring terrorism to be evil and they had a valid reason for invading Afghanistan. Those reasons are nothing like the simplistic posturing you described.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #46 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 3:48pm

freediver wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 12:00pm:

How do you explain the term "Shock And Awe" if terrorising Iraqis was not the aim?

IP Logged

Exotic Cheese

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 4:07pm

freediver wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 11:13am:
Abu, by trying to protray conventional war as terrorism you are playing into their propaganda.

Conventional(?) war is the greatest form of terrorism.

Acid Monkey wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 9:29am:

I think you are alluding to the US unlawful invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq. You could equate that to terrorism (depending on which side of the fence you're on). A 1988 study have found that there are over 100 different definitions for the word terrorism. However, the global accepted definition is:

1. acts which are intended to create fear (terror), are perpetrated for an ideological goal (as opposed to a lone attack), and deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants.

2. a form of unconventional warfare and psychological warfare.

Yeah... so invading a country is terrorism.

freediver wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 12:00pm:

The U.S army manual defines terrorism as the...

"calculated use of unlawful violence or threat of unlawful violence to inculcate fear; intended to coerce or to intimidate governments or societies in the pursuit of goals that are generally political, religious, or ideological."

The modalities or methods of the violence are not the defining factor.

freediver wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 1:57pm:
I prefer to define it in terms of whether there is a nation-state behind it. That's really what the difference between terrorism and war boils down to.

Well the U.N security council and the ICJ don't agree with you.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #48 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 4:53pm

They are political bodies. Since when would you get a politician to define a word for you? That would be like asking Howard to define the Labor party.

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #49 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 4:57pm

More like asking JWH to define "fairness".

Wink

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #50 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 5:37pm

Quote:

So when the Afghanis were fighting the Soviets they were terrorists also?

And by extension the US were supporters of terrorism right?

Fretelin were terrorists, ANC were terrorists, Irgun and Hanagah were terrorists too?

By your definition pretty much any group that's ever resisted an occupation is terrorist too, so long as the occupier manages to setup a puppet state to rule their country. The French resistance were also terrorists during WWII as well? Since after all, the governement was run by the Nazis, therefore the Nazis were engaged in a legitimate war against terrorists right?

Your definition is illogical, and I don't think you believe in it either, even the way you said it indicates an uneasy hesitation.

Quote:
and they had a valid reason for invading Afghanistan

Yeh what's the reason again? The Talibaan were a state, so therefore they weren't terrorists by your definition right?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #51 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 5:40pm

Quote:
They are political bodies. Since when would you get a politician to define a word for you?

So you trust political bodies to declare terrorism as evil, and to define who is and isn't a terrorist and what kind of action to take against terrorists, you just don't trust them to define exactly what terrorism means... interesting Smiley

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Exotic Cheese

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 5:46pm

freediver wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 4:53pm:

They are political bodies. Since when would you get a politician to define a word for you? That would be like asking Howard to define the Labor party.

Well since they are the highest global legal authority there is...

You pretty much said your idea of terrorism doesn't include state terrorism because that is "conventional war". Well I'm just pointing out no one agrees with that idea, including the world court and intro to terrorism courses at uni.

State terrorism is the most powerful form of terrorism there is. Lone suicide bombings pale in comparrison.

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #53 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 5:51pm

abu_rashid wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 5:37pm:
Fretelin were terrorists, ANC were terrorists, Irgun and Hanagah were terrorists too?

Nelson Mandella was once considered a terrorist by the US.

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #54 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 6:48pm

Nelson Mandella is/was a communist terrorist.

As far as I am concerned, terrorism is an act of violence deliberately targeting civilians for no purpose but to cause mayhem.

Just because people are terrified of war doesn't mean it is terrorism.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #55 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 7:07pm

freediver wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 1:57pm:

Wow.. So the truth is out eh?

State's can do whatever they want by invading another nation and occupying it including murdering and torturing innocent civilians and they will only be considered engaged in war which is such a sterilized way of naming the brutality they cause..

But if a person is fighting for their freedom and is an individual, even if they attack an occupying army using guerilla tactics they would be considered terrorists which is considered such a dirty word and considered something which is unjust..

the American founding fathers were terrorists according to you..

IP Logged

djrbfm

OzPolitic

Reply #56 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 8:54am

Exotic Cheese wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 10:09pm:
Quote:
I was referring to the the fact that the government would put a terrorist to death, yet they wouldn't put a drug dealer to death when the damage that drug dealers do all over the world is far worse than what terrorists do.

The annual global deaths attributed to illegal drugs is so low its almost unmeasurable compared to terrorism.

+1.

if you are a moron, and take drugs, you'll be a moron that takes drugs.

if you are a successful middle/upper class type that takes drugs for recreation, you'll be just that.

iow, a moron is a moron, smart is smart and drugs are drugs.
what we need is to get rid of the laws pertaining to drug use.
our gov't is the worst type of drug: mind control.
DR9.

Terrorism is direct aggression.
Drugs are selling a product to a market.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #57 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:46am

I don't see much a problem with this statement. It is a reasonable statement to make. If this statement is made with the intent of downgrading the actions of the Bali Bombers THEN the statement is flawed. Corby should thank her lucky stars that she won't be executed, but owes little debt to the Australian public for its instant championing of the Corby cause before any facts came in. in fact it reinded me of the Tolstoy quote "It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness." She is a pretty young thing, instantly deserving of the benifit of the doubt.

Of course where do we draw the line. Certainly child killers and upper tier drug oushers/barons should be executed here as well. Someone who kills innocents on the road because they were under the influence of a self administered illegal drug should not be able to claim diminished responsibility. etc etc etc.

And what of the Indonesian governments protracted extermination of the people of Western Papua. A program of genocide on our own door step, that has been not only ignored by this country, but deliberately kept off any agenda. Until of course vast resourses are discovered, that allows a questionable territorial locality, to justify a overdue and probable too late call for the liberation from Australian sanctioned Indonesian terrorism. Ala East Timor.

Murky waters?

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #58 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:52am

Malik Shakur wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 7:07pm:
But if a person is fighting for their freedom and is an individual, even if they attack an occupying army using guerilla tactics they would be considered terrorists which is considered such a dirty word and considered something which is unjust..

Remember, they are Terrorists if we are against them, Freedom fighters if we support them, and Guerrillas if we have not yet chosen a side. Watch the news and government statments, its amazing how often this formulea is used.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #59 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 4:32pm

So you trust political bodies to declare terrorism as evil

I don't need any politician to tell me that terrorism is wrong.

Well I'm just pointing out no one agrees with that idea, including the world court and intro to terrorism courses at uni.

But they do, they just don't state it as explicitly as you'd like.

Nelson Mandella was once considered a terrorist by the US.

Nelson Mandela did a very good job of preventing the situation in South Africa from descending into terrorism and cyclical violence.

State's can do whatever they want by invading another nation and occupying it including murdering and torturing innocent civilians and they will only be considered engaged in war which is such a sterilized way of naming the brutality they cause..

Again Malik, you are buying into the propaganda by accepting that war is a 'sterile' term compared to terrorism. You accept their propaganda then try these absurd little semantic arguments to turn their propaganda against them. They have you dancing round in circles.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #60 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 6:53pm

locutius wrote on Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:52am:
Malik Shakur wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 7:07pm:

Remember, they are Terrorists if we are against them, Freedom fighters if we support them, and Guerrillas if we have not yet chosen a side. Watch the news and government statments, its amazing how often this formulea is used.

And it seems every conflict spawns euphemisms to win the propaganda war. 'Shock and awe' is not a strategy to terrorise a people (despite the language), it is merely to achieve 'rapid dominance'. Collateral damage is not about the reckless killing of civilians due to poor judgement on the part of the combatant, it is about the inevitable suffering inflicted on innocents in the execution of a soldier's lawful duty.

This wartime doublespeak has become indispensable in the effort to extract morality and injustice from an action or strategy committed during war by trying to invoke an aura of reason to the unreasonable.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print