Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Thankyou Message For Bali Bombers! (Read 8806 times)
bluebird

Australian Politics

Thankyou Message For Bali Bombers!
Jul 26th, 2008 at 6:24pm

Muslim Cleric Sheikh Haron has a thank you message for the Bali Bombers. In the thank you message the spokesperson says that the Bali Bombers are better than Schapelle Corby...
What are your opinions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFNf4kYu3sI

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Thankyou Message For Bali Bombers!
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 6:52pm

Well in some ways it's correct actually. Drug dealers ruin far more lives in Australia and overseas than terrorists do, yet the politicians are hypocritical enough to say a terrorist should be executed but drug dealers shouldn't. That is very hypocritical.

There is however in that tape many points which were very illogical, Shapelle Corby was caught with 4kg of marijuana, from my undersanding the other guy who got executed  that was mentioned had herion I think. There is a big difference between heroin and marijuana and governments class them as different categories of drugs. Australia did make too much of a big deal, she received a fair trial and it was proven beyond reasonable doubt that she had trafficked drugs so it is inappropriate for the Australian government to interfere as well as Australians to expect that she be let off for her crime. But having said that the punishment she did get which initially was 15 years in jail but was boosted to 20 after her appeal failed was fair. She shouldn't have done it and people like her are scum. But I don't feel the death sentence would have been applicable from the Indonesian side even without interference, in fact I personally believe that she was given a harsher sentence for the trouble that she caused in the courtroom and the farce that she made of the whole thin in addition to the Australian public's behaviour towards it.

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 11:20pm

I have a lot of experience with Indonesia and have personal contacts there.

When Sharpelle was arrested it wasn't even reported in the Indonesian media. However, when there was Aussie backlash (even before the trial began) - with inflamatory comments against Indonesian authorities, attacks on Indonesian owned shops, assaults on Indonesians in Oz, and even white powder sent to the Indonesian embassy their media started taking notice of the case and the reaction from Aussies. As a result this resulted in anti-Aussie sentiment and hardened the resolve of the Indonesian people and their authorities. Sharpelle may have gottena fair trial and maybe even be given a lighter sentence (as in Leslie Phillips and Nick Taylor, the Aussie DJ) but Oz, Aussies and Aussie media essentially ruined that for her. When the Corbys hired a flamboyant Indo lawyer he quietly suggested that maybe they "donate" a small fee to the courts. It was widely reported here that he tried to offer a bribe etc. Everyone knows the judiciary system is corrupt (although they have been trying to stamp this out and have been largely successful). But by reporting this and making it public - of course the judges are going to say we don't accept bribes. As a result Corby's trial went ahead. This also forced the authorities to stand their ground as being hard on drugs - afterall the world is now looking at them (thanks to Aussie overreaction).

I believe that without any publicity she would have gotten less than a year. With the publicity, she would have been found guilty and given a 20 year sentence which would have made the Indo law system look like they are tough drugs. Then on appeal, that would have been reduced to 10 and maybe even 5 years. With a annual Ramadan discount she would have been out within 3 years. However, when the first sentence was given this started another wave of anti-Indonesian sentiments. Even the Corbys appealed to the Aussie public to clam down as it's not doing them any favours.

Aussies ruined her chances by being high and mighty.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 11:29am

Quote:
Muslim Cleric Sheikh Haron...

Since the Australian Muslim community don't even know who this "Sheikh Harun" is, and even ASIO express doubts about his identity/authenticity, this post isn't really worth the electrons you typed it in.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 2:36pm

I suspect that it's the so-called Fake Sheikh.

Sheiky grounds anyway. Here's his website:
http://www.sheikhharon.com/

"The Australian Muslim Cleric, Sheikh Haron, is the same Ayatollah Manteghi Boroujerdi who has formally changed his name and that's why some people were confused who was Sheikh Haron? The Islamic website of this Australian Muslim cleric is a site generally about spirituality and particularly about Allah, Islam, Shariah law and Jihad."
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2008 at 2:42pm by muso »  

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Exotic Cheese

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 4:17pm

Malik Shakur wrote on Jul 26th, 2008 at 6:52pm:
Well in some ways it's correct actually. Drug dealers ruin far more lives in Australia and overseas than terrorists do

Roll Eyes

Sure they do

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:02pm

Exotic Cheese wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 at 4:17pm:
Well in some ways it's correct actually. Drug dealers ruin far more lives in Australia and overseas than terrorists do

Roll Eyes

Sure they do

Are you saying they don't?

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:31pm

Did you hear that Victa have brought out a new lawnmower? The Victa Schapelle holds 4kg of grass and comes with a 20 year guarantee.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:38pm

Quote:

Some more pertinent questions are: Would you regard Amrozi as a martyr? and Do you agree that the acts of the Bali bombers should be downplayed like this?

To talk about the bombings this way is disrespectful. Do you agree?

IP Logged

Exotic Cheese

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:41pm

Malik Shakur wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:02pm:

Roll Eyes

Sure they do

If you mean strictly illegal drugs when you talk about drug dealers than no they don't the statement is idiotic.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:51pm

Exotic Cheese wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:41pm:

Roll Eyes

Sure they do

If you mean strictly illegal drugs when you talk about drug dealers than no they don't the statement is idiotic.

they don't?

perhaps you can tell me how many people died in the world from drug overdoses or drug related violence last year.. and tell me if the death toll was surpassed by terrorism?

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:57pm

You can't compare people dying by willingly taking drugs to people dying by unwillingly being blown up, shot or decapitated.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #12 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 6:08pm

easel wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:57pm:
You can't compare people dying by willingly taking drugs to people dying by unwillingly being blown up, shot or decapitated.

Yes you can

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 6:11pm

You can?

Can you also see the comparative similarities between geology and aquaculture?

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

Exotic Cheese

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 6:33pm

Malik Shakur wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:51pm:
Exotic Cheese wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:41pm:

Roll Eyes

Sure they do

they don't?

perhaps you can tell me how many people died in the world from drug overdoses or drug related violence last year.. and tell me if the death toll was surpassed by terrorism?

I can't tell you because it would require a research project and more time than I'm willing to give a discussion this stupid.

They aren't even comparable, illegal drug deaths are in the low thousands while terrorism is in the tens of thousands.

Drug violence is a social problem and not related to the drugs themselves.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print