Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Legal threats to F/D and myself (Read 30174 times)
muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Re: Legal threats to F/D and myself
Reply #75 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 6:29am

Malik Shakur wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 8:24pm:
FD we don't stone people for being gay actually, in fact I made it very clear that the punishment of stoning applies to one who commits adultery and cheats on their wife/husband, if a person commits homosexual acts and there can be four witnesses for it and they are not married then they get the same punishment as someone does for fornication and that is 100 lashes thus the punishment is for adultery or fornication and not for partaking in the homosexual act. I'm sure you know that's the case because we've already discussed it so please don't go around saying otherwise.

- and you think that 100 lashes is acceptable for just having sex with another married person?

I too have no problem with Muslims practising their religion, but there are certain human rights that need to be observed. Personally I have problems with both capital and corporal punishment, and I think that society in Australia has the same issues. My issue is that in practice these laws may be applied to non-Muslims who might be visiting a Muslim country. Ok, as far as Muslims as concerned, if a person is not silly enough to renounce their faith and ends up being stoned to death as a result, maybe that's their problem. It's just evolution taking its course.

Quote:
As mentioned before, in some states of the USA one can marry as young as 13 years old with the permission of the parents and the permission of the courts. If the court finds a safe environment awaits the person in addition to maturity in them then they'll get the permission and good luck to them.

Yeah, but it isn't practised there. There would be widespread condemnation if that law was actually put into place. It's an anachronism, like the law that permitted husbands to beat their wives for justified reasons (in Queensland?) until it was repealed.  - A fossil law from the barbaric past (just like Shariah Law)

If you want an example of where pedophilia is practised, you just need to look at most Sub-Saharan African countries, whether Muslim or Christian. A large proportion of African men are pedophiles, and unfortunately a number of European men take advantage of it too.

Fixed unchangeable laws that derive from 1400 year old texts lead to injustice, because society values have changed for the better.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #76 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 10:28am

Quote:
Fixed unchangeable laws that derive from 1400 year old texts lead to injustice, because society values have changed for the better.

The human condition remains pretty much the same, and will remain pretty much the same. If the law was valid then, it's valid now.

It's not valid for you,  in your society, that's a different issue, that's your society changing it's views, in Islamic society it's still just as valid. We also find many things in your society to be wrong, doesn't mean we claim you have no right to do it within the confines of your society.

You have to remember not all 6 billion of us are the same as you and share your views. I know that sicne the West is the politically/militarily dominant culture at present, they want to push their might around and proclaim that their way is the universal way, but it's simply not.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #77 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 12:03pm

Quote:
The human condition remains pretty much the same, and will remain pretty much the same. If the law was valid then, it's valid now.

Human condition? What are you talking about? And saying if the law was valid then, it is now, is stating everything that's wrong with religion....Islam in particular.

"We should always say that I may refrain from publishing a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed, but it's because I fear you. Don't for one moment think it's because I respect you." Richard Dawkins

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #78 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 1:26pm

muso wrote on Aug 3rd, 2008 at 6:29am:
- and you think that 100 lashes is acceptable for just having sex with another married person?

I too have no problem with Muslims practising their religion, but there are certain human rights that need to be observed. Personally I have problems with both capital and corporal punishment, and I think that society in Australia has the same issues. My issue is that in practice these laws may be applied to non-Muslims who might be visiting a Muslim country. Ok, as far as Muslims as concerned, if a person is not silly enough to renounce their faith and ends up being stoned to death as a result, maybe that's their problem. It's just evolution taking its course.

Yes, fornicating is against Islamic Law.. But the real question is, how on earth would you get caught doing it by four witnesses at the same time if you did it in your own household? Obviously if you do it in public then your not just fornicating, you're imposing your own sins on other people who should not have to see it.

You seem to have a problem with following the laws of a country that you are visiting? I'm sure you know that any country you visit will require you to follow their laws and should you break them you would be subject to their punishments right? So if you don't think you can do so I suggest that you just don't go there.

muso wrote on Aug 3rd, 2008 at 6:29am:
Yeah, but it isn't practised there. There would be widespread condemnation if that law was actually put into place. It's an anachronism, like the law that permitted husbands to beat their wives for justified reasons (in Queensland?) until it was repealed.  - A fossil law from the barbaric past (just like Shariah Law)

I'm sorry, but it's still the law.. The law hasn't been changed so obviously it's still considered acceptable, even if as you mention it isn't practiced (which you have not provided evidence of nor have I seen) it's still obviously considered acceptable or else it wouldn't be the law and would have been changed.

IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #79 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 1:31pm

That's such silly logic, malik, and you know it. There are heaps of laws that still exist in the world that are never enforced and not believed in anymore, and the reason the laws have never been changed is not because people still find them acceptable, it's because people find them so stupid that everyone ignores them.

"We should always say that I may refrain from publishing a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed, but it's because I fear you. Don't for one moment think it's because I respect you." Richard Dawkins

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #80 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 1:43pm

jordan484 wrote on Aug 3rd, 2008 at 1:31pm:
That's such silly logic, malik, and you know it. There are heaps of laws that still exist in the world that are never enforced and not believed in anymore, and the reason the laws have never been changed is not because people still find them acceptable, it's because people find them so stupid that everyone ignores them.

No, it's not silly logic at all. Having it law means that if you wish, you can practice it. In this case if someone so wished they would be able to do so.

IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #81 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 1:56pm

Righto, just ignore what I am saying. You are either a moron (doubt it) or someone who refuses to understand the points people make. (highly likely) either way it's makes for ridiculous debates. Although, this is not surprising considering your belief system in general.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #82 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 2:27pm

Abu said:
Quote:
I have a friend for instance, and his grandparents (who were married not long after the end of the Ottoman period) were 13 and 29 when they were married, his grandfather being the younger one. Do you also have a problem with that

No doubt there would have been a good reason at the time, although the grandmother would probably have preferred a "man".  Is this still being practised today where older women can marry little boys?   Morality doesn't appear to be an issue, but procreation certainly is.

If it isn't being practised today - then why did it stop and if so why are only Muslim males allowed to commit to underage marriages?

As far as having a problem with a child and an adult marrying - it is obviously worse if a woman commits this abuse as it would be a rare deviation from the norm.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #83 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 4:18pm

Quote:
although the grandmother would probably have preferred a "man"

He would've been considered a man in his time by his society, otherwise he wouldn't really have been able to marry. He most likely would've been working and supporting himself and his new wife.

Quote:
Is this still being practised today where older women can marry little boys?

The economic situation in most Muslim countries is now not the best, as I'm sure you're aware, the social situation has also been severely damaged by the past century of mismanagement. Most Muslim males cannot afford to marry until they're well into their 30's, and that's probably why you see today a higher occurence of older men marrying younger girls, as opposed to in times past, when it would've been a lot more distributed, the variance in ages for males and females marrying.

Muhammad's (pbuh) first wife was also quite his senior. Something very rarely mentioned today, we only hear about his younger wife.

Quote:
if so why are only Muslim males allowed to commit to underage marriages?

It probably still occurs, just not as often, most likely due to the economic situation, and the fact that most children today are schooled beyond that age, and therefore not really able to support a family.

What I'm pointing out though, is that there's no social taboo against it in Islamic culture. There is no ageism when it comes to marriage, so long as both parties are sexually mature.

Quote:
As far as having a problem with a child and an adult marrying - it is obviously worse if a woman commits this abuse as it would be a rare deviation from the norm.

They are a child according to your own cultural definition. For most of the history of human society, most societies didn't consider 13 yo's to be children. Certainly not Islamic society. As I've mentioned before, when Muhammad Bin Qasim (May God have mercy on him), the distinguished Muslim General who conquered most of the Indian Sub-Continent made his greatest conquests, he was only 16 or 17 years old. Today, in your society, he'd be considered a child, but his actions show he was very much a man, and I doubt he'd have been considered a man for less than 3 years...

Also it's a known fact amongst those who study the social sciences that the "awkward years" between reaching sexual maturity and being considered an adult by society is associated with a lot of the anti-social behaviour that exists in societies who view teenagers in this way. In societies where people are considered adults when they reach sexual maturity and are given rights and responsibilities befitting of their maturity, those people in general fit into society much more smoothly. So perhaps it's the West who need to re-evaluate the way they view teenagers, not Islam.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #84 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 7:54pm

Quote:
The economic situation in most Muslim countries is now not the best, as I'm sure you're aware, the social situation has also been severely damaged by the past century of mismanagement. Most Muslim males cannot afford to marry until they're well into their 30's, and that's probably why you see today a higher occurence of older men marrying younger girls, as opposed to in times past, when it would've been a lot more distributed, the variance in ages for males and females marrying.

Sounds like a reasonable excuse Abu but not entirely believable.  Seriously though - could a rich older Muslim woman marry a mature 13 year old boy today?   

Quote:
In societies where people are considered adults when they reach sexual maturity and are given rights and responsibilities befitting of their maturity, those people in general fit into society much more smoothly. So perhaps it's the West who need to re-evaluate the way they view teenagers, not Islam. 

Perhaps you're right - but one thing is obvious is that these young girls who marry older men and have a dozen children by the time they're 25 - usually look twice their age and probably have half the life span of a Western woman.

Islam doesn't offer much of a life for the females, particularly in Muslim dominated countries - but pleasant enough for the males who can please themselves with the support of the Koran.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #85 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 8:03pm

Quote:
Islam doesn't offer much of a life for the females, particularly in Muslim dominated countries - but pleasant enough for the males who can please themselves with the support of the Koran.

Quite mantra..How convenient to have the "good book" to justify human rights abuses such as this..these poor children, and at 13 that is indeed what they are, have no choice, no voice, no rights.

The abuse and degredation of women in Arab countries is well known..treatment of women in many parts  of the world is not good..but for these women seems to be worse.

Abu- you are not an Aussie Muslim if you try to justify the Koran in this practice..true Aussies reject it.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #86 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 10:12pm

Quote:
Perhaps you're right - but one thing is obvious is that these young girls who marry older men and have a dozen children by the time they're 25 - usually look twice their age and probably have half the life span of a Western woman.

Is this based on any kind of scientific study? Or just what you assume it should be? Please be factual in your claims, or realise they've going to taken with a grain of salt.

Quote:

This is just nonsense. Islam does not permit oppression of women whatsoever.

Since Islamic rule ceased in the Islamic countries over 80 years ago, I very much doubt you're basing this on anything factual.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #87 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 12:57am

oceanz wrote on Aug 3rd, 2008 at 8:03pm:
Quite mantra..How convenient to have the "good book" to justify human rights abuses such as this..these poor children, and at 13 that is indeed what they are, have no choice, no voice, no rights.

Well as mentioned previously, with one's parents and a court's approval you can get married at 13 years of age.

And that is the Law in some states of the USA.. Which 'good book' was used to justify that?

The abuse and degredation of women in Arab countries is well known..treatment of women in many parts  of the world is not good..but for these women seems to be worse.

Yes but you see the thing is, these arab countries aren't Islamic states, so what do you expect? The Arabs rule their nations according to their tribalistic and culturalistic practices rather than Islamic law.

Abu- you are not an Aussie Muslim if you try to justify the Koran in this practice..true Aussies reject it.

Who are you to say what a true aussie can and can't do? Or don't you believe in the freedom of choice and beliefs that we have here in this country? How very unaustralian of you, perhaps a place like china would be better for you?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #88 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 7:44am

Quote:
Is this based on any kind of scientific study? Or just what you assume it should be? Please be factual in your claims, or realise they've going to taken with a grain of salt.

Going by Australian statistics:

Quote:
The higher fertility among women born in Middle Eastern countries was also reflected in the fertility pattern associated with religious affiliation. The 10,900 women nominating Islam as their religion in the 2006 Census had higher fertility in all age groups than did women of all other religions or no religion. On average, Islamic women aged 40-44 years had 2.9 babies each, compared with 2.0 for all women in Australia. These Islamic women tended to have a somewhat lower level of educational attainment and lower incomes than did Australian women overall.

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4102.0Chapter3202008

This indicates that the minority of Muslim women in Australia are having more babies than the rest of Australian women put together - so no doubt Muslims will eventually outnumber non-Muslims.

It's obvious that many young Muslim women you see look old and worn out before their time and add lack of education to the mix and a dozen children and you can see that the goal of expanding the Muslim empire is quantity not quality.

Quote:
Extremely low birth rates in most of Europe have fueled concerns about population decline, yet one segment of the continent's population—Muslims—continues to grow. The increasing number and visibility of Muslims in Western Europe, juxtaposed with the low fertility among non-Muslims, has led some Europeans to worry that the region will eventually have a Muslim majority, fundamentally changing Western European society.

http://www.prb.org/Articles/2008/muslimsineurope.aspx

Quote:
According to the Office for National Statistics, around 33% of British Muslims of working age have no qualifications -- the highest proportion for any religious group in this country -- and Muslims are also the least likely to have degrees or equivalent qualifications

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/mortarboard/2008/04/why_do_too_many_muslims_leave.ht...

Quote:
VATICAN CITY (AP) — Islam has surpassed Roman Catholicism as the world's largest religion, the Vatican newspaper said Sunday.
Catholics accounted for 17.4% of the world population — a stable percentage — while Muslims were at 19.2%.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2008-03-30-muslims-catholics_N.htm

It doesn't matter whether Muslims outnumber Catholics or breed more prolifically than any other group of people - the gripe is that while your women are breeding like rabbits, in general the children aren't educated to the same level as their peers.  Lack of education is one of the biggest problems in our society and this combined with overbreeding and a strict adherence to an outdated and violent doctrine puts fear into those who promote pacifism.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #89 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:04am

mantra wrote on Aug 4th, 2008 at 7:44am:

[quote]The higher fertility among women born in Middle Eastern countries was also reflected in the fertility pattern associated with religious affiliation. The 10,900 women nominating Islam as their religion in the 2006 Census had higher fertility in all age groups than did women of all other religions or no religion. On average, Islamic women aged 40-44 years had 2.9 babies each, compared with 2.0 for all women in Australia. These Islamic women tended to have a somewhat lower level of educational attainment and lower incomes than did Australian women overall.

That's really not anywhere close to a dozen children. It's not our fault that most Australians don't want to have kids.

That's of Muslim women ages 40-44...It's funny however though, most Muslim women I know which are my own age are in university or have a university degree. That's because their parents worked so hard to give them what they didn't have.

Most Muslim women I know

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print