Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Legal threats to F/D and myself (Read 30171 times)
jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Re: Legal threats to F/D and myself
Reply #45 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 3:58pm

So God, being all knowing, neglected to tell his prophet that his behaviour would be interpreted as paedophilia a thousand years later if he married a child. Interesting.

"We should always say that I may refrain from publishing a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed, but it's because I fear you. Don't for one moment think it's because I respect you." Richard Dawkins

IP Logged

GSS

OzPolitic

Reply #46 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 4:05pm

jordan484 wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 3:58pm:
So God, being all knowing, neglected to tell his prophet that his behaviour would be interpreted as paedophilia a thousand years later if he married a child. Interesting.

or it could be assumed that people would be smart enough to apply the standards that existed at the time........rather than applying 2008 standards to a person that lived in the year 600.

IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #47 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 4:11pm

....or, it could be assumed that God had nothing at all to do with it and humans were smart enough to work out that those very old ideals were incredibly stupid, insidiously wrong and blatantly inhumane, and are now calling them what they truly are.

"We should always say that I may refrain from publishing a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed, but it's because I fear you. Don't for one moment think it's because I respect you." Richard Dawkins

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #48 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 4:13pm

or it could be assumed that people would be smart enough to apply the standards that existed at the time........rather than applying 2008 standards to a person that lived in the year 600.

Couldn't you say the same thing about all Islamic law?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #49 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 4:13pm

Yes.

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #50 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 4:31pm

mozzaok wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 3:17pm:
Christ Acid, if you start posting star trek stereotypes we could see the ferengi and klingons going at it big time, old gene was big on racial stereotyping, and it is pretty humourous when you watch it with that in mind.

Lol.

I actually know a couple of Klingon insults.

bIjatlh 'e' yImev.
Hab SoSlI' Quch!

Wink

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #51 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 10:47pm

freediver wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 4:13pm:

Couldn't you say the same thing about all Islamic law?

Islamic law isn't retrospective and things which became illegal but were practiced before it were not punishable because that would have been unreasonable.. Something which you fail to see..

Don't forget that today in some states of the USA you can still marry being as young as 13 years old if you have the permission of your parents and the court.

So the hypocrisy is very apparent here.

Plus, as mentioned previously in another thread, Aisha's age cannot be verified accurately even through the hadith mentioned because there are hadiths that contradict it.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #52 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 9:35am

Nevertheless, I am also prepared not to take this to the HR EEO Commission and withdraw my complaint.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #53 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 9:54am

Give it up Malik, you are talking crap, just admit you made a mistake and move on.

Stop trying to legitimise what is universally condemned as wrong by modern standards, just accept that historically many powerful men indulged in sexual perversions because they could do so with impunity.
That is fortunately no longer the case.
The fact remains that by todays standards the actions of Mohammed would be considered as sexually deviant, you have already pointed out that he was not the only one to display abherrant sexual behaviour in olden times, but you do your cause no good by trying to say it was not wrong, when it obviously was.

Your attempt to somehow deify his memory in asserting he could do no wrong, is misplaced.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #54 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 10:47am

Islamic law isn't retrospective and things which became illegal but were practiced before it were not punishable because that would have been unreasonable.. Something which you fail to see..

I think you missed my Point Malik. To be fair, it was a bit ambiguous. If Muslims can appreciate that marrying a 12 year old girl or getting betrothed to a 6 year old girl was acceptable in the past but isn't any more, then surely they can also accept that stoning people to death for being gay, slavery etc are also unacceptable, even in an Islamic state, and that we should fight against any such regression rather than encourage it.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

jordan484
Gold Member

Genuine Aussie

Reply #55 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 11:55am

Precisely.

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #56 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 8:24pm

freediver wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 10:47am:
I think you missed my Point Malik. To be fair, it was a bit ambiguous. If Muslims can appreciate that marrying a 12 year old girl or getting betrothed to a 6 year old girl was acceptable in the past but isn't any more, then surely they can also accept that stoning people to death for being gay, slavery etc are also unacceptable, even in an Islamic state, and that we should fight against any such regression rather than encourage it.

FD we don't stone people for being gay actually, in fact I made it very clear that the punishment of stoning applies to one who commits adultery and cheats on their wife/husband, if a person commits homosexual acts and there can be four witnesses for it and they are not married then they get the same punishment as someone does for fornication and that is 100 lashes thus the punishment is for adultery or fornication and not for partaking in the homosexual act. I'm sure you know that's the case because we've already discussed it so please don't go around saying otherwise.

Secondly I never said that marrying a 12 year old is unacceptable, instead I said that society has changed somewhat, especially here in the West where people take a great deal longer to develop mentally and be ready for marriage due to society's concept that adolesence is something where youth have no right to be considered able to make adult decisions that impact their lives, nor are they given the tools by today's society to make such decisions and their development is stunted. So instead they rebel and do all of those things anyway but this way they aren't given a helping and guiding hand by those around them, and have to learn all the lessons for themselves the hard way at a greater cost to them and society..

As mentioned before, in some states of the USA one can marry as young as 13 years old with the permission of the parents and the permission of the courts. If the court finds a safe environment awaits the person in addition to maturity in them then they'll get the permission and good luck to them.

So it is unwise in most cases for 12 year olds to marry if they aren't prepared for it. I think it depends on the person.

Next, regarding slavery. I have also made it clear regarding this issue. Slavery by the Western usage was forbidden in Islam 1400 years ago, the Islamic definition of slavery is closer to servitude because one can get out of it if they request to and they get to eat, sleep and be clothed the same as their master, they are afforded human rights. It is a means to make sure those who lose their possessions due to being beaten in war have a means to rebuild their position in society, one could easily look at the Mamluke Empire who were all slaves previously but after being freed became the rulers of the nation.

The West's brutal and oppressive form of slavery which continued this barbaric tradition long after Islam forbid it more than 1400 years ago still has not been resolved and no reparations have been paid to those who are the decendents of slaves and in addition to that, even today when one looks at the treatment of poor Indonesians and others by economic superpowers one could easily define that as slavery, as well as the US government's ignoring the multitudes of illegal aliens in their country who do menial jobs for incredibly low wages. They get treated far worse than the Muslim version does.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #57 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 8:33pm

You are one sick fvcker if you think you will convince any person who is not a sexual deviate, or a religious nutcase, that marrying 12 year olds is OK.

It is the year 2008, not 648, for christ's sake catch up.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #58 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 8:43pm

mozzaok wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 8:33pm:
You are one sick fvcker if you think you will convince any person who is not a sexual deviate, or a religious nutcase, that marrying 12 year olds is OK.

It is the year 2008, not 648, for christ's sake catch up.

Yes, in 2008, in some states of the US you can marry when your as young as 13 years old with your parent's and court's permission.

In the secular West..

You really haven't gone that far in that time actually have you mate?

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #59 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 9:33pm

Quote:
New Hampshire:
http://www.weddingvendors.com/marriage-license-laws/united-states/new-hampshire/...

What if one or both of us is younger than 18?
If either partner is under 18, parents or legal guardians must be present. If a parent can not be present, due to death, separation, divorce or other circumstances, proper evidence must be presented for verification. You will need a certified copy of your birth certificate. If you are under 16 you can not marry without a court order. Males under the age of 14 and females under the age of 13 can not marry without a court order.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print