Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Sprints Posts=Inciting religious intolerence (Read 38474 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Sprints Posts=Inciting religious intolerence
Reply #60 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 10:33am

As for criticisms, even though half the posters in this thread so far have confused the issue with criticising Islam, that's not what it's about, Malik never complained about sprint criticising Islam, and the fact Malik has been here so long is testament to the fact it's got nothing to do with criticisms of Islam. It's about inciting hatred and fear, and scapegoating Muslims.

That doesn't make sense Abu. Malik has complained about criticisms of Muhammed. He even went so far as to say that freedom of speech does not cover criticism of Muhammed.

I would hope that Sprint doesn't equate ALL Muslims with terrorism, and I've never interpreted his posts this way. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am, but will stand corrected if I'm wrong. From my experience, from the Muslims I know, most of them think terrorists are scum.

He recently said that not all muslims are terrorists.

but what about the right of people to come to the forums and not be under attack because of their beliefs

There is no such right. What people believe is and should be fair game for criticism.

but is that free speech supposed to infringe on other's rights to feel safe?

How is anything on this forum infringing on your right to feel safe?

I can assure you FD, it's not an empty threat.

Didn't you just say in the other thread that you won't bother with this silly legal threat?

Your allowing of him to incite hatred against Islam is breaking the law as is he with making those comments.

No it isn't. Don't be silly.

You know very well what he is trying to do and you allow it to happen

Crap. You keep attributing intentions and beliefs to Sprint that he has not said. You are making things up.

You mentioned that another person has been insulting Jews and you don't prevent it from happening.

I said he isn't banned. I did not say I don't prevent it from happening. It's more the racist stuff against blacks that bothers me, but I also deleted some recent death threats to jews.

So you either prevent this incitement and vilification from happening and make sure Sprint doesn't continue or I will not hesitate to take this the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission.

Grin

I'm sick of having to deal with Sprints obvious attempts to try and create hatred against Islam and Muslims and you can be very sure that if it continues I will take it further.

Like I said, just ignore him. Everyone else does. It's not my fault if you take the bait every single time. If you want to continues using internet forums that aren't heavily censored, you will have to learn how to deal with trolls. I suggest you put up a wiki page to counter his repetitive errors. that way you just have to post a link. Wouldn't that make more sense than issuing empty threats?

Easy for an average aussie to spot, I do not need to hate your views to find them ridiculous, unworthy of respect, and deserving of derision, yet you and Malik label me as racist, who classes muslims as subhuman, which goes on to the list of things you haven't got right.

Funny you mention that mozz. Malik made the same claims against me and a few other members.

Al-Gharib, welcome to OzPolitic. The forum rules are here:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/forum-rules.html

They are a better reflection of what is allowed here than the default rules that came with the forum software. Note that I am still inviting feedback on rules.

Just out of curiosity, do you know the entirety of the ruling behind stoning? By this I mean to say, do you know what the strict preconditions are before a person can be stoned?

Malik has pointed them out on several occasions. It doesn't make stoning any less barbaric.

Anyway this thread is getting quite off topic. I suggest if people want to discuss capital punishment under Islam, then make a thread about it and discuss it there.

I already have Abu. A number of my questions remain unanswered.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1215058243/107#107

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #61 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 7:54am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 22nd, 2008 at 12:39pm:
The legal expense is something i cannot afford.
I also won't subject freediver to this treatment either.

I'll leave.

take care all

will copy the posts from my spirituality forum I want soon.
Anyone else want to moderate it ?

(From another thread)

Yeah, righto Sprint. Thread after thread of Muslims defending themselves because of your endless trolling and baiting them and now you're outta here.

I wonder what other outcome you thought you'd achieve... (What? Mass conversions of Muslims due to your 'superior' reasoning, perhaps?).

Attacking belief systems, obliquely claiming all Muslims are terrorists, superficial  interpretations of the Koran, raising the Israel/Palestine issue without consideration of the extraordinary complexities and contradictions... don't ever travel, Sprint... these issues require intelligent sensitivity if you want rational debate. All you did was force people to defend extreme positions in retaliation for your arrogance.

Despite popular myth, the spirit of free speech is not just about verbalising whatever unprocessed poo drops into your head, most often it requires moderation in recognition of sensitivities (as the replacement of the word sh!t with poo demonstrates). All freedoms require responsibility when exercised.

I suggest you spend some time getting over this Islam obsession of yours. Learn that you can't abuse people out of their culture or beliefs nor, when it comes to faith, can you reason them out of it either.
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2008 at 7:59am by NorthOfNorth »  

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #62 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 10:46am

Helian do you agree that sprint should not be allowed to say those things?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #63 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 12:31pm

freediver wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 10:46am:
Helian do you agree that sprint should not be allowed to say those things?

I stopped reading most of Sprint's posts a while back because I realised he was not after intelligent debate (which in the case of interfaith dialogue, or dialogue regarding the relationship between secular and religious beliefs, requires sensitivity). He was more about baiting Muslims to get a knee jerk reaction from them. Quite frankly, the whole thing was getting boring.

As to whether he should be allowed to say what he has written (at least as much as I've read), I can only say I would not take it further. However, firstly I am not a lawyer so I don't know if there is even a case to answer and secondly I am not a Muslim (nor am I religious), so I am not in a position to empathise with those who are and were offended.

I do know that most people expect that they will be treated as equals and that their legitimate personal beliefs are respected (if not agreed with).

Honestly, FD, do you believe Sprint is after honest dialogue with Muslims? He is hostile towards Islam... What is the point of his dialogue  with Muslims? His mind is made up. What is there to discuss?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #64 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 1:18pm

However, firstly I am not a lawyer so I don't know if there is even a case to answer

I wasn't asking whether it is allowed. I'm asking whether you think it should be allowed.

and secondly I am not a Muslim (nor am I religious), so I am not in a position to empathise with those who are and were offended

Why is that relevant? Should it be up to Muslims to decide what aspects of Islam you are allowed to criticise?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #65 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 1:37pm

freediver wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 1:18pm:
However, firstly I am not a lawyer so I don't know if there is even a case to answer

I wasn't asking whether it is allowed. I'm asking whether you think it should be allowed.

I've given you my opinion. There's no need to play at indignation.

and secondly I am not a Muslim (nor am I religious), so I am not in a position to empathise with those who are and were offended

Why is that relevant? Should it be up to Muslims to decide what aspects of Islam you are allowed to criticise?

It's up to Muslims to know what's offensive. Obviously you accept that we are not always free to say what we like, hence a prohibition at this site on words like sh!t and front bottom.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #66 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 1:57pm

I've given you my opinion. There's no need to play at indignation.

Not exactly. I'm just trying to clarify. It's a bit ambiguous whether you are merely criticising sprint for being insensitive and ignoring the main issue or supporting Malik's attack on free speech. You seem to be avoiding clarifying this issue. It's one thing to accuse someone of not being nice. It's another to support censorship. Which is it?

It's up to Muslims to know what's offensive. Obviously you accept that we are not always free to say what we like

I didn't ask whether Muslims should decide what offends them. I asked whether it should be up to them to decide whether you are allowed to offend them.

hence a prohibition at this site on words like sh!t and front bottom.

If it is prohibited, why can you get away with saying them? What does this have to do with law?

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #67 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 2:19pm

freediver wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 1:57pm:
hence a prohibition at this site on words like sh!t and front bottom.[/i]

If it is prohibited, why can you get away with saying them? What does this have to do with law?

I think helian is trying to draw a metaphoric parallel and is not directly comparing this to the law.

Why IS there a prohibition on this site to swear words FD? Are you that easily offended by such words or are you trying to protect the sensitivity of your forum patrons? Either way you agree that some people will get offended and therefore you restrict the right to say them on here. If that is not the case and irrelevant then why don't you remove the restrictions. Its the same with Sprint. There is a limit somewhere and if he hasn't the sensibility to see where that limit is then there is a problem for him.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #68 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 2:22pm

Why IS there a prohibition on this site to swear words FD?

Because the people who complain about it are unable to follow simple isntructions and post in the relevant thread on feedback.

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #69 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 2:55pm

So, you're saying that people have complained about swear words and so you banned them.

???

You've lost me. And how and what does this have this got to do with posting swear words in the relevant thread?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #70 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 2:55pm

So, you're saying that people have complained about swear words and so you banned them.

No.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #71 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 2:56pm

It is no surprise to me that freedom of speech requires responsibility when exercising that right in order to respect the spirit of free speech, hence the rules as set here in the feedback thread.

I thought the point of forums like this one is to encourage healthy debate and I don't see how continually baiting people encourages healthy debate. 

If your mind is set on a matter of faith, then debate is pointless (by what criteria would you allow the tenets of your faith to be refuted?).

I don't believe Sprint is honest in debating the merits of Islam. He is apparently a committed Christian and clearly hates Islam. OK, he made his point long ago. All he is doing now is using this forum as a way of trolling for a Muslim audience to express that hate.

Why not a debate on 'Islam and secularism in Australia - how we can live together'? After all Islam is a fact in Australian society. Its not going to diminish and neither for that matter is secularism. So how do we find common ground? Why don't we search for the commonalities that bind us as a nation instead of focusing on the things that drive us apart?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #72 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 3:11pm

I don't see how continually baiting people encourages healthy debate

You can encourage some very healthy debate by doing that. It's continually taking baits you shouldn't that causes the problems.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #73 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 3:49pm

freediver wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 3:11pm:
I don't see how continually baiting people encourages healthy debate

You can encourage some very healthy debate by doing that. It's continually taking baits you shouldn't that causes the problems.

I meant it in the context of 'to needle, torment, or persecute, especially with malicious remarks'.

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #74 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 5:02pm

freediver wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 2:55pm:

No.

That helps....
So what are you saying then?

Do I have to keep prodding you to elaborate? You're just like Abu and his one liner throw away answers.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print