Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Sprints Posts=Inciting religious intolerence (Read 38366 times)
Ray_A

OzPolitic

Re: Sprints Posts=Inciting religious intolerence
Reply #30 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 8:38pm

abu_rashid wrote on Jul 22nd, 2008 at 8:09pm:
Nope, and I didn't. You got the wrong guy.

I'm quite certain I didn't directly accuse you of this, Abu. I was generally pointing this out about Malik, who did make the threat. 

Most proponents of free speech still agree there are limits. and one of those limits is when people start peddling prejudiced hatemongering. I don't know if I'd classify sprint quite that harshly, but some of his comments leave you wondering.

That has been obvious to me, that Sprint has no love lost for Muslims, but I have Christian friends who are exactly the same, and I'm bombarded by anti-Muslim emails from them which I always delete, because it bores the living hell out of me. Their anti obsession with Islam has always amazed me. I can only put this down to some kind of jealousy, or religious fervour which makes Islam feel threatening to them. Maybe it's a kind of "my God can beat up your God" mentality. Or perhaps they feel that the denial of Christ as the Son of God (not just a prophet) is some kind of sacrilege. But I really don't give a flying fig about this. These kind of petty religious squabbles are the furthest thing from my mind. I weigh Islam and Christianity on the merits I see, not on some kind of Biblical or Koranic literalism. And I have criticised both, almost always for a too fundamentalist approach to life and religion.

I generally don't. But it's hard not to when he's directly asking people to associate all Muslims with terrorism and then asks them to take note about how to keep terrorism out of Australia.

I would hope that Sprint doesn't equate ALL Muslims with terrorism, and I've never interpreted his posts this way. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am, but will stand corrected if I'm wrong. From my experience, from the Muslims I know, most of them think terrorists are scum.

Bedtime for me now, Good night. 

"People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks them." &&&&--- Eric Hoffer. &&
IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #31 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 9:25pm

freediver wrote on Jul 22nd, 2008 at 12:42pm:
Sprint, it's an empty threat. Don't worry. Stand up for free speech. Otherwise you will only encourage people to use threats like this to stifle free speech, because it works so well. I've had far more elaborate threats and demands made against me. It's always utter BS.

I understand that many here are quite astounded by this and see it as an attack on free speech, but what about the right of people to come to the forums and not be under attack because of their beliefs from someone who is so full of hate and tries to make the world hate them? Surely free speech is important, but is that free speech supposed to infringe on other's rights to feel safe? I don't think so at all.

I can assure you FD, it's not an empty threat. I had never wanted to do this in the first place because I believed that perhaps you, being a moderator would moderate the forums and prevent such a gross incitement of hate continue. I've reported many posts as being insulting and offensive and you haven't done a thing about it so it's obvious that you are not going to stop him by simple requests.

Your allowing of him to incite hatred against Islam is breaking the law as is he with making those comments. If you don't stop his wilfull incitement of hatred against Islam and you know it's not just free speech, it's him trying to incite hate against Islam and Muslims and that is evident by the fact that he continues to bring up the same garbage over and over again when it's been explained to him before, it's also the way he vocalizes it.

I must remind you that the forums themselves are evidence to such acts and that the law states directly:

Quote:
8 Religious vilification unlawful
(1) A person must not, on the ground of the religious belief or activity of another person or class of persons, engage in conduct that incites hatred against, serious contempt for, or revulsion or severe ridicule of, that other person or class of persons.
Note
Engage in conduct includes use of the internet or e-mail to publish or transmit statements or other material.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), conduct—
(a) may be constituted by a single occasion or by a number of occasions over a period of time; and
(b) may occur in or outside Victoria.

The fact remains that you allow it to happen on your forum without trying to stop it. You know very well what he is trying to do and you allow it to happen, in doing so you are accepting the behaviour and preventing this forum from being a place where people of all races and religions can come and enjoy the forums without fear from vilification and people like Sprints demonizing of Islam.

You mentioned that another person has been insulting Jews and you don't prevent it from happening. That too is against the law. You have a duty of care and you are bound by these laws just as anyone else is.

So you either prevent this incitement and vilification from happening and make sure Sprint doesn't continue or I will not hesitate to take this the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission.

I love being on these forums because I can clarify misconceptions about Islam as well as speak about other issues relevant to Australia. I'm sick of having to deal with Sprints obvious attempts to try and create hatred against Islam and Muslims and you can be very sure that if it continues I will take it further.

These forums should be a place of dialogue, not a place to sew the seeds of hatred. So either do something about it or I will.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #32 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 9:37pm

bugger you and your stupid religion, it is one of the more absurd of the bunch, and in the realm of religiousity that is saying something.
Hey I think I invented a word!

Stop pretending you do not get off on playing the martyr.
I would love fifty bucks for every time you call yourselves oppressed.
The funny thing is you are right, you just have not identified that you are doing it to yourself.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #33 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 9:43pm

Ray_A wrote on Jul 22nd, 2008 at 8:38pm:
Maybe it's a kind of "my God can beat up your God" mentality.  

LOL.

I'm sure your "my God" and "your God" are one and the same.

Wink

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #34 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 9:48pm

Hey Malik, I had an idea.
Wanna buy some stones?
Go on, you know you want to.

Hate or Derision?

Easy for an average aussie to spot, I do not need to hate your views to find them ridiculous, unworthy of respect, and deserving of derision, yet you and Malik label me as racist, who classes muslims as subhuman, which goes on to the list of things you haven't got right.
It is preposterous that you cannot tell the difference between derision and hate, or possibly more accurately, that you choose to take offence, in some perverse attempt to legitimise your self ascribed oppression.

IP Logged

Al-Gharib

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 10:01pm

mozzaok wrote on Jul 22nd, 2008 at 9:48pm:
Hey Malik, I had an idea.
Wanna buy some stones?
Go on, you know you want to.

And that is in reference to?

Anyway, here's something pulled off the forum rules when registering:

Quote:
You agree, through your use of this YaBB forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually-oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or you have consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also inappropriate to this YaBB forum.

Note that it is impossible for us to confirm the validity of posts on this YaBB forum. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages and are not responsible for their content. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The messages express the views of the author, not necessarily the views of this YaBB forum. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator of this forum immediately. We have the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless this forum, and any related websites to this forum. We at this YaBB forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any information we have about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any information posted by you. You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We advise that you keep the name appropriate. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password to another member, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another member's account to post messages or browse this forum.After you register and log into this YaBB forum, you can fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information we deem inaccurate or vulgar will be removed.

Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from this YaBB forum or your ISP contacted. This will only happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement.

Interesting. Don't you agree?

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #36 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 10:09pm

Al-Gharib wrote on Jul 22nd, 2008 at 10:01pm:
Anyway, here's something pulled off the forum rules when registering:

Quote:
You agree, through your use of this YaBB forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually-oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law.

Interesting. Don't you agree?

I guess he forgot to mention 'we will hold you responsible for these unless you insult or incite hate against Muslims or Islam or Jews'

He should probably update it to reflect his true attitude.

Either way, it proves FD is being a hypocrite because I've reported several posts so far and nothing has been done about them.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #37 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 10:15pm

It is easy Al, you know exactly what I mean, but I will elucidate anyway.
I mean that we have seen Malik tell us over and over of how muslims justify acts of barbarity, like burying people up to their necks, and then throwing stones at their heads until they are dead.
We have him professing his desire to see australia become an Islamic country, and see us live under sharia law, the law which seems to be as willing to throw around death sentences for any real or imagined sleight against Islam.
It means that you are over sensitive, and reactionary, and should drag your primitive belief system into the modern world.

If you wish to see an end to Islam being criticised stop pretending that some ancient text is a literal instruction manual from god.
If you believe that is true, I suggest you start praying for an update, because the lack of clarity in the original, where interpretation is as varied and many, as the devotees choose it to be, does your credibility no good whatsoever.

Here is a tip for free, try and stop any deranged muslim cleric, with a bee in his bonnet, calling for the deaths of cartoonists, or teachers with teddy bears, and you may have less people thinking your beliefs are out of date.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2008 at 11:50pm by mozzaok »  

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #38 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 10:29pm

mozzaok wrote on Jul 22nd, 2008 at 10:15pm:
Here is a tip for free, try and stop any deranged muslim cleric, with a bee in his bonnet, calling for the deaths of cartoonists, or teachers with teddy bears, and you may have less people thinking your beliefs are out of date.

Stop supporting the Saudi's government and we'll be able to do that and more.

IP Logged

Al-Gharib

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 10:31pm

mozzaok wrote on Jul 22nd, 2008 at 10:15pm:
It is easy Al, you know exactly what I mean, but I will elucidate anyway.
I mean that we have seen Malik tell us over and over of how muslims justify acts of barbarity, like burying people up to their necks, and then throwing stones at their heads until they are dead.
We have him professing his desire to see australia become an Islamic country, and see us live under sharia law, the law which seems to be as willing to throw around death sentences for any real or imagined sleight against Islam.
It means that you are over sensitive, and reactionary, and should drag your primitive belief system into the modern world.

If you wish to see an end to Islam being criticised stop pretending that some ancient text is a literal instruction manual from god.
If you believe that is truew, I suggest you start praying for an update, because the lack of clarity in the original, where interpretation is as varied and many, as the devotees choose it to be, does your credibility no good whatsoever.

Interesting. I've never heard of the burying people up to their necks part before. It's also intriguing that you've quoted the "stone throwing" bit. Particularly when this was a ruling in the law of Moses...

Quote:
They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

[John 8:4-5]

Just out of curiosity, do you know the entirety of the ruling behind stoning? By this I mean to say, do you know what the strict preconditions are before a person can be stoned?

Just wondering...
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2008 at 10:38pm by Al-Gharib »  

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #40 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 10:50pm

Hi Al-Gharib.

The timing of your entrance into this forum site is impeccable or perhaps coincidental.

Wink

I'm curious, is it not so that they bury them in the sand (up to their neck), cover their heads with a sack or bag and then stone them? I'm pretty sure that I've seen such scenes on youtube.

IP Logged

Al-Gharib

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 11:08pm

Acid Monkey wrote on Jul 22nd, 2008 at 10:50pm:
Hi Al-Gharib.

The timing of your entrance into this forum site is impeccable or perhaps coincidental.

Wink

Obiwan never told you... did he?

doh. Remind me to hire another publicist.

Acid Monkey wrote on Jul 22nd, 2008 at 10:50pm:
I'm curious, is it not so that they bury them in the sand (up to their neck), cover their heads with a sack or bag and then stone them? I'm pretty sure that I've seen such scenes on youtube.

A fair amount of what we see on TV or on the web isn't necessarily true. A rule I personally like to follow is, verify the information from it's source before you believe in it. Otherwise, what then is the purpose of intellect? Don't you agree?

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #42 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 11:27pm

Al-Gharib wrote on Jul 22nd, 2008 at 11:08pm:
A fair amount of what we see on TV or on the web isn't necessarily true. A rule I personally like to follow is, verify the information from it's source before you believe in it. Otherwise, what then is the purpose of intellect? Don't you agree?

Sure, I fully agree and I try not to cite unverified sources (and if I do, I disclose that fact).

Can you therefore please confirm that such incidents shown on this link is false, doctored, didn't happen etc.

I believe this was from a doco called "Fitna" by a Dutch right wing parliamentarian. The actual footage I believe was from Saudi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URxqP8A6FJ0

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #43 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 11:39pm

From my understanding the death by stoning is done by burying men up to their chests and women up to their necks and stoning them to death.

But to get to that punishment there must be four witnesses to the adultery, which is highly unlikely unless they bare witness against themselves 4 times. And confession by torture is not acceptable either.

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #44 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 11:48pm

So you concur that burying to their necks and stoned really does happen. I ask because al-Gharib seems to imply that it does not.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print