Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Sprints Posts=Inciting religious intolerence (Read 38360 times)
Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Sprints Posts=Inciting religious intolerence
Jul 22nd, 2008 at 9:38am

Ok,

It's obvious that FD is not going to do anything to prevent Sprint from knowingly inciting hatred and intolerance in Islam and Muslims. So if it continues under the watchful eye of FD I will take the ozpolitic.com forums and FreeDiver to the Equal Opportunity Commission for being neglectful in preventing the incitement of religious hatred and intolerance. Enough is enough FD. I've explained several things many times and Sprint knows this. Either you do something about it and prevent him from continually posting the same garbage in an attempt to incite hatred of Islam and Muslims when he and you both know it's untrue or I'll go straight to the EEO.

If I get banned off of this forum for doing so this will also go down in my complaint.

I refer you to the following passages in the Racial and Religious Tolerance Act of Victoria (2001)

Quote:
7 Racial vilification unlawful
(1) A person must not, on the ground of the race of another person or class of persons, engage in conduct that incites hatred against, serious contempt for, or revulsion or severe ridicule of, that other person or class of persons.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), conduct—
(a) may be constituted by a single occasion or by a number of occasions over a period of time; and
(b) may occur in or outside Victoria.

I also refer you to the following extract:

Quote:
15 Prohibition of authorising or assisting vilification or victimisation
A person must not request, instruct, induce, encourage, authorise or assist another person to contravene a provision of this Part.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Sprints Posts=Inciting religious intolerence
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 11:32am

It is not illegal to criticise someone's religion. There is nothing in those quotes to indicate otherwise. It is not against the rules of this forum to be stupid and ask the same stupid questions over and over again. Just ignore him if it bothers you. You don't need to convince sprint of anything, but you have amanaged to convince many others here, including myself, that sprint is wrong about a lot of issues and is a bit slow to take it on board.

Please cease your personal attacks on sprint - eg insulting him.

Your criticism of Arab tribalism is far closer to a violation of those laws than anything sprint said.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2008 at 11:49am by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 12:31pm

Fair go Malik. I think you've introduced an unfortunate path to this debate.

While I encourage and enjoy a good debate it often times get heated and emotional. People throw insults at each other and call each other names. That is unfortunate and should cease. But in the end, it is merely an exchange of ideas and opinion - you take the good with the bad. You take what you want from it and discard the rest. As you know one needs to develop a thick skin in the net (especially in chatrooms and forums).

We all appreciate yours and Abu's input but if you feel that the atmosphere in here it is not to your liking then it might be better if you attend another site where everyone is likeminded and agrees with the common topic of discussion. However, within those sites ideas and insights are not gained or generated (with everyone nodding their heads and speaking the same rhetoric). Sensibility must reign supreme within debates and politics. Turning your back and walking away I think is better than threatening the legality of contents thereby stifing opinion.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 12:39pm

The legal expense is something i cannot afford.
I also won't subject freediver to this treatment either.

I'll leave.

take care all

will copy the posts from my spirituality forum I want soon.
Anyone else want to moderate it ?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 12:42pm

Sprint, it's an empty threat. Don't worry. Stand up for free speech. Otherwise you will only encourage people to use threats like this to stifle free speech, because it works so well. I've had far more elaborate threats and demands made against me. It's always utter BS.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 1:31pm

Malik,

You're were doing quite well up to that post. Freedom of speech works. In fact the way that you have responded to some of Sprint's comments have probably done your cause much more good.

The Act was never intended to stop criticism of a religion. For example, the Qur'an states (referring specifically to the Jews):

"2:96 And thou wilt find them greediest of mankind for life and (greedier) than the idolaters. (Each) one of them would like to be allowed to live a thousand years. And to live (a thousand years) would be no means remove him from the doom. Allah is Seer of what they do. "  

By following your religion, you are therefore guilty of religious vilification against the Jews.

The Bible is also guilty of religious intolerance in many places:

"Exodus 22:18 Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live. "

That is clearly inciting people to kill those of the Wiccan faith.

Sprint is motivated by his religion. As extreme as that might be, there is no precedent for litigation based on following one's religion.

Religions are quite handy to hide behind. You can say that Atheists are going to hell. You can call people pigs and monkeys. You can dehumanise them quite legally, because religions have a special privilege to do exactly that. They legitimise bigotry.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 2:14pm

Although I agree it need not come to this, the fact is that sprint just seems to be posting stuff to incite hatred of Muslims and promoting the idea they should not be allowed into Australia.

You can't ignore this fact freediver, it's quite clearly happening, and I think you've been turning a blind eye to it (and even encouraging it), because you're glad to see people getting all heated up in lively debates.

Quote:
malik gives the wannabe terrorists tacit approcal.
the other muslims gave them complete approval.

take note all those that want terrorism far from our shores.

Question is : How to keep muslim terrorists from Australia ?

In this statement, and others, sprint is quite clearly equating Muslims with terrorists, and urging people to make the connection between allowing Muslims into Australia and encouraging terrorism here. If you refuse to admit to the connection, that's up to you, but anyone with half a mustard seed of objectivity could see it a mile away.

Now I'm not asking that free speech be hindered, if it were, then there'd be no point even discussing anything here, but I do ask that you encourage sprint to act in a mature manner and to use logical arguments to get his [legal] points across, and to leave his prejudiced points at the forum door.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 2:16pm

Isn't that what I'm already doing Abu?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #8 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 2:43pm

I've only really seen you encourage him to continue with it.

And in fact you rebuked Malik and I for responding to that quote of sprint's in my above post..

Quote:
Malik and Abu, please stop deliberately misinterpretting everything Sprint says as an attack on you or an attack on Islam. It is getting very old and it keeps sidetracking otherwise interesting threads. You can't expect everyone to walk on eggshells just in case you take offense.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Ray_A

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 2:51pm

I've quite often offered a critical view of Sprint's posts on Islam, but something I very highly value about Australia is the freedom of speech we have here. If you disagree with a point of view, then debate it, and offer sound reason which opposes the point of view you disagree with. Trying to silence viewpoints through legal means is one sure way to make them heard on a much broader scale. Who would ever have heard of Salman Rushdie otherwise?   This didn't help Muslims, it only incited more Western paranoia about Islam.

I'll refer you to an example from the religion I'm familiar with - Mormonism. By killing Joseph Smith on June 27, 1844, the opponents of Mormonism virtually ensured the long term survival of Mormonism. When you attack, or try to censor, all you're doing is making martyrs who will live in cherished memory.

Although I've often disagreed with Sprint's analysis of Islam, any legal moves to censor his freedom of speech will turn me right back into his court. 

"People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks them." &&&&--- Eric Hoffer. &&
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 2:51pm

I encourage you to respond to what he actually says, but there is no point responding to what you imagine his intentions are.

IP Logged

Ray_A

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 3:12pm

freediver wrote on Jul 22nd, 2008 at 2:51pm:
I encourage you to respond to what he actually says, but there is no point responding to what you imagine his intentions are.

I'm not sure what his "intentions" are, FD. Maybe you can enlighten a slow mind. The intention seems to be: stop being critical of Islam, or you'll be in hot legal water.

If Sprint wants to start 100 threads criticising Islam on a free forum, that's his choice. If someone disagrees, then let them tackle each criticism, as many times as it takes. That's what forums are about. It's not the print media where PC editors engage in "sensitivity control", one reason I no longer submit anything to the print media, because they control free speech. 

"People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks them." &&&&--- Eric Hoffer. &&
IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #12 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 3:14pm

abu_rashid wrote on Jul 22nd, 2008 at 2:14pm:
In this statement, and others, sprint is quite clearly equating Muslims with terrorists, and urging people to make the connection between allowing Muslims into Australia and encouraging terrorism here.

I found the original statement mildly offensive myself. That's why I countered by suggesting that we could empower Muslims to prevent terrorism.

You'll find a lot of ignorant statements on the net. I find that the best solution is to give the perpetrators enough rope.

Actually I'm not so sure that the verse I quoted from the Qur'an was totally legal in line with the Victorian Legislation quoted. It sounded to me as if it was inciting hatred of the Jews.

Similarly the passage from the Bible was inciting people to kill Wiccans.  

Maybe it's time to outlaw such clearly slanderous texts.

Maybe if Malik takes Sprintcyclist to court, I could offer a counter action against the Australian Federation of Islamic Councils for religious vilification.

Now that would open a can of worms.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Ray_A

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 3:23pm

muso wrote on Jul 22nd, 2008 at 3:14pm:
Similarly the passage from the Bible was inciting people to kill Wiccans. 

Maybe it's time to outlaw such clearly slanderous texts.
Councils for religious vilification.

I'd say religions incite plenty of hatred against Gay people. Muslims are now pushing for polygamy in Australia, but they outright condemn homosexuality, actively opposing it. 

So, polygamy is a-ok, but being Gay is a crime?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 3:31pm

Under Islamic law only men are allowed multiple partners. Women can only have one husband. The penalty for gay sex is either death by stoning or 100 lashes.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print