Send Topic Print
Women in islam (Read 93412 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Women in islam
Reply #255 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 5:27pm

Is this up in the mountains? I'm surprised Pakistan put up with a 'benign autocrat' running the area. It will be interesting to see how Pakistan handles this. I'm surprised that they would have any difficulties handling an internal issue like this. How can they project so much regional power while being impotent against this sort of attack?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #256 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 5:38pm

Quote:
I'm surprised Pakistan put up with a 'benign autocrat' running the area.

No, it's historical. Wali of Swat, like a Prince, joined Pakistan on the basis that he would retain a lot of his autonomy. Note where Swat is, it's in the North and back from Afghanistan a bit. The Wali has always been pretty easygoing, doesnt cause trouble for the central government, and the Swat Valley is a beautiful place. Tourist area. Pity these SOBs are now their killing people. The Wali didnt have a chance against well armed, funded and trained troops of the Taliban. It's good he apparently got away and is in hiding now.

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #257 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 6:02pm

Calanen wrote on Jan 19th, 2009 at 5:38pm:
Quote:
I'm surprised Pakistan put up with a 'benign autocrat' running the area.

No, it's historical. Wali of Swat, like a Prince, joined Pakistan on the basis that he would retain a lot of his autonomy. Note where Swat is, it's in the North and back from Afghanistan a bit. The Wali has always been pretty easygoing, doesnt cause trouble for the central government, and the Swat Valley is a beautiful place. Tourist area. Pity these SOBs are now their killing people. The Wali didnt have a chance against well armed, funded and trained troops of the Taliban. It's good he apparently got away and is in hiding now.

I see. The 'peaceful empire' strategy in action....

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 
Send Topic Print