Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Long term divorce consequences. (Read 1405 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Long term divorce consequences.
Jul 11th, 2008 at 10:58am

"THE emotional and social impacts of divorce are felt for decades after a marriage breaks down, leaving a generation of older Australians vulnerable to loneliness and poor health.

A new study into the wellbeing of Australians aged between 55 and 74 - the first generation to experience divorce at high rates - found divorcees felt more socially isolated and less satisfied with life compared with married men and women.

Remarrying seems to allay the negative impacts of divorce, with people who married again reporting similar levels of social support, life satisfaction and health as those who were married to their first spouse.

The research, led by Professor David de Vaus of La Trobe University in Melbourne, follows a study that showed divorce had negative impacts on the financial situation of divorcees decades later.

The latest study was presented yesterday at the Australian Institute of Family Studies Conference in Melbourne.

"This is in fact the first generation of people who are heading into old age from the [1970s] divorce boom," said Professor de Vaus, the dean of the faculty of humanities and social sciences. "The sort of assumption is that people get over it over time. In a sense that's true; it's most traumatic in the first couple of years. But there does seem to be a residual impact."

The researchers compared the wellbeing of about 2200 older Australians - 1500 were in their first marriage, 700 had divorced about 20 years ago, and 400 of them had remarried.

Divorced people caught up with friends or relatives more often than married people, but researchers found they felt more lonely and socially isolated.

Divorcees agreed more strongly with statements such as "I don't have anyone I can confide in" and "I have no one to lean on in times of trouble" than married or remarried people. They also felt less satisfied with their home, financial situation and neighbourhood.

Divorced women rated their health more poorly than married or remarried women.

Professor de Vaus said divorcees often lacked the intimacy and companionship that comes with marriage, even if they had good social networks.

"[Divorce] tends to cut people off from the intimate relationships, the close relationships people need for that sense of belonging," he said.

"It's the companionship … it isn't a matter of having friends around or acquaintances."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/relationships/impact-of-divorce-lasts-for-decades/2008/07/09/1215282985681.html

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Re: Long term divorce consequences.
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 11:09am

I can't remember what movie it was in, but the line went something like;
"I am all for divorce, otherwise I would have to find a stranger that really hates me, and give them my house." Grin

Luckily, I have avoided that painful process, but I have been getting some funny looks lately, I better watch my step.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:47pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 11th, 2008 at 10:58am:
"THE emotional and social impacts of divorce are felt for decades after a marriage breaks down, leaving a generation of older Australians vulnerable to loneliness and poor health.

A new study into the wellbeing of Australians aged between 55 and 74 - the first generation to experience divorce at high rates - found divorcees felt more socially isolated and less satisfied with life compared with married men and women.

Remarrying seems to allay the negative impacts of divorce, with people who married again reporting similar levels of social support, life satisfaction and health as those who were married to their first spouse.

The research, led by Professor David de Vaus of La Trobe University in Melbourne, follows a study that showed divorce had negative impacts on the financial situation of divorcees decades later.

The latest study was presented yesterday at the Australian Institute of Family Studies Conference in Melbourne.

"This is in fact the first generation of people who are heading into old age from the [1970s] divorce boom," said Professor de Vaus, the dean of the faculty of humanities and social sciences. "The sort of assumption is that people get over it over time. In a sense that's true; it's most traumatic in the first couple of years. But there does seem to be a residual impact."

The researchers compared the wellbeing of about 2200 older Australians - 1500 were in their first marriage, 700 had divorced about 20 years ago, and 400 of them had remarried.

Divorced people caught up with friends or relatives more often than married people, but researchers found they felt more lonely and socially isolated.

Divorcees agreed more strongly with statements such as "I don't have anyone I can confide in" and "I have no one to lean on in times of trouble" than married or remarried people. They also felt less satisfied with their home, financial situation and neighbourhood.

Divorced women rated their health more poorly than married or remarried women.

Professor de Vaus said divorcees often lacked the intimacy and companionship that comes with marriage, even if they had good social networks.

"[Divorce] tends to cut people off from the intimate relationships, the close relationships people need for that sense of belonging," he said.

"It's the companionship … it isn't a matter of having friends around or acquaintances."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/relationships/impact-of-divorce-lasts-for-decades/2008/07/09/1215282985681.html

Sprint, I'm interested.... you're a divorcee and, you've remarried. Can you relate with the article?

Smiley

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 1:40pm

Acid - yes, in many ways.
Our divorce was very normal - ie, by what most people think of divorces, we were boring.
Shared care, assets split amicably, no court or legal issues.

Divorced single men are .... not as trusted as a man with a wife or girlfriend.
Other husbands are cautious, other wives feel a bit unsure.

The situation now would be MUCH more acceptable than it was decades ago.

Some peoples (esp couples) attitudes to me changed immediately I said I was getting married again.
Even though I had been with her for about 5 years.

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 2:07pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 11th, 2008 at 1:40pm:
Acid - yes, in many ways.
Our divorce was very normal - ie, by what most people think of divorces, we were boring.
Shared care, assets split amicably, no court or legal issues.

Divorced single men are .... not as trusted as a man with a wife or girlfriend.
Other husbands are cautious, other wives feel a bit unsure.

The situation now would be MUCH more acceptable than it was decades ago.

Some peoples (esp couples) attitudes to me changed immediately I said I was getting married again.
Even though I had been with her for about 5 years.

Not trusted? How so? As in, "don't go to THAT man for financial advice because he's a divorcee". Or, "GET AWAY FROM MY KIDS YOU FREAK!" Or, "here, let me handle the BBQ, you don't seem to know what you're doing"?

Why would other husbands be caustios? Is it because they think that you'll be after their wives? And are the wives cautious because they think tat you'll make a pass at them? If so, then how is that any different when compared to a single non-divorcee?

And how can that perception change merely with marriage?

People and society can be very fickle.

There are too many stigmas within conservative society - divorce, depression, being born out of wedlock, extra marital sex etc.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 3:14pm

hhhmmm, solo men are seen a bit like lone wolves by some people.

In a couple, the woman generally makes most of the social arrangements.
When a couple split, some women from their social circle "side" with the now single woman.
men still in a relationship are hesitant to invite the single man out, as it may not be appreciated by the guys wives.

However, as I had always been fully involved with the kids, the other mums and dads were quite ok with letting their kids over for sleepovers, plays etc etc.
Also, having a nonadverserial divorce is seen and rightly taken into account by other parents.

I don't recommend a seperation, though.
Upsetting expensive time.

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 3:33pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 11th, 2008 at 3:14pm:
I don't recommend a seperation, though.