Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Law gone crazy. (Read 2159 times)
King Billy

Australian Politics

Law gone crazy.
Jul 5th, 2008 at 11:10am

We talk about human rights, but anybody who thinks there is proper consideration of human rights is kidding themselves.

We see two recent stories from NSW.  Both demonstrate the attacks on basic human rights by current legislation.

It is an offence to harrass or disrupt pilgrims involved in World Youth Day.  The NSW government did not rely on their already extensive public order and crime laws, they introduced new laws.

A Catholic pilgrim now has greater rights, or more correctly, non-catholics have fewer rights, as a result of the law.

What makes it worse is that the law was created by ministerial declaration, not through the passage of parliament.  Everyone in Australia needs to be concerned about this.

The second is the story about oggling on topless beaches.  Life guards are given the power to decide whether a person is oggling or simply looking at young ladies who choose to go topless in a public place.

It is not against the law to look at a young lady wearing a see through top and no bra at a nighclub or a shopping mall, but let her take it off on a beach and suddenly men who look become criminals.

It is not against the law to look at ladies with bikini tops, but it is against the law to look at ladies without bikini tops?  

And it is not the police who will decide, it is surf life savers.  I wonder how much training in the history of human rights legislation they have?

Who are we kidding?

This type of over the top protectionist law must stop.  We cannot continue to make laws that assume that people doing otherwise dayly actions (expressing there religious views or looking at things at the beach) are doing so for criminal purposes.

If the NSW police gather proof that protesting groups intend to disrupt the world youth day events or injure people participating, there are many, many legal options open to them to stop such behaviour.

Similarly, if the police beleive that a person watching young ladies (topless or not) at the beach are doing so with the intent to commit an offence against a person, there are again legal options open to them.

We really need to inject a sence of indignation at the blatant attacks against human rights by such poorly thought out legislation.

Bill

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Re: Law gone crazy.
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 11:29am

Quote:
We talk about human rights, but anybody who thinks there is proper consideration of human rights is kidding themselves

The law mainly exists to protect the" heirarchy" from the "common people"...that is why it doesnt work for the pple and doesnt make any sense.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 11:39am

Good points Billy. How does the ministerial declaration thing work? What are the limits on 'law by ministerial declaration'?

What is the punishment for ogling topless women at the beach?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 12:04pm

These laws are there to safeguard our precious Australian values.

If you didn't realise that our government (and other Western governments around the world) have been breaking their own rules lately in order to extend their control over their populations then you must be a little naive. The US government for instance which always claimed to abhor torture all of a sudden doesn't mind it. European governments which are always carrying on about human rights have all of a sudden begun allowing foreign intelligence agencies to "extract" their citizens and whisk them off to 3rd. world countries to be tortured.

And anyone who disagrees is anti-patriotic, a traitor, a terrorist sympathiser or all of the above!

Just look at the Haneef fiasco, an innocent man's life ruined by the Draconian laws that are fast becoming commonplace.

Get set for more of the same in the near future.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

King Billy

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 2:07pm

freediver wrote on Jul 5th, 2008 at 11:39am:
Good points Billy. How does the ministerial declaration thing work? What are the limits on 'law by ministerial declaration'?

What is the punishment for ogling topless women at the beach?

The NSW Government ssed laws relating to the World Youth Day.  It allowed the Minister to make declarations about issues relating to the event.  The Minister made declarations that anyone "annoying" or "interferring" with pilgrims has breached the law, and is subject to a $5500.00 on the spot fine.

There is a similar on the spot fine (slightly less) for offensive behaviour, which I think is the  offence of "ogling".

We all, I suppose, expected an increase in legislative restrictions after 9/11, but the laws developed to deal with "terrorists" are now being used to protect catholic children and topless women.  It is a world gone crazy.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 1:10am

Quote:
We all, I suppose, expected an increase in legislative restrictions after 9/11, but the laws developed to deal with "terrorists"

Are you really gullible enough to believe they were created to deal with terrorists?

They were created to solidify the power of the state and give them the ability to deal with things they don't like, without appearing too totalitarian.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 1:19am

of course they were for terrorists .

we should charge all the mosques for the extra expenses the nonmuslim world has to pay for the security against muslim terrorists.

it is your problem, but we pay for it.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 1:23am

now you've discovered the real intention behind our devious plans. We actually wanted to drive you broke first, so you'd be easier to conquer... You're too good sprint, we can't keep ahead of you  Grin

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 1:38am

Abu - us westerners are just soft.
Every society has its peak and decline.

making the US broke is not a good call though.
ALL the aid they give to 3rd world countries will slow.

Did you realise, the US are by FAR the biggest aid giver to the world ?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #9 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 1:44am

Quote:
ALL the aid they give to 3rd world countries will slow.

Did you realise, the US are by FAR the biggest aid giver to the world

Let's see, their largest recipient of aid is Israel, a murderous occupational state that invaded Islamic land and has murdered and tortured tens of thousands of Muslims over the past 60 years...

Second largest recipent of aide is the tyrannical regime of Hosni Mubarak in Egypt, who uses all the money to employ a wide net of secret services that go around, raping, torturing and murdering anyone suspected of being involved in an Islamic group...

Yeh you're right, it's not a good idea to make the US broke and stop them sending all that aide to help us Smiley

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 8:49am

Well Abu, they say there is no ratbag, like a born again ratbag.
Keep it up, see how many truisms you can prove.

On King Billy's very relevant points, it is a disgrace, the level of mediocrity which we expect from politics is not even attained, aim low boys.

On ogling, I was a lifesaver, and remember well when a fellow lifesaver, was patrolling the beach for white pointers and a disgruntled boyfriend asked, "have you had a good look?" and he replied, "mate, if she's showin' I'm lookin'"

Personally I think that is adequate control, any aberrant behaviour is covered in our existing criminal code.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 11:03am

Sprint, all the aid money the US gives out does not make up for how they screw over farmers in third world countries. It's like taking someone's job away for no good reason, putting them on the dole, and expecting them to thank you.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

strange allegiance

Australian Politics

Adelaide
Reply #12 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 7:53pm

Quote:
The Full Bench of the Federal Court has been told new powers given to police for World Youth Day (WYD) are unconstitutional and cover an unreasonable area of Sydney.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/07/11/2301694.htm?section=justin

IP Logged

Pommy Bastard

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 12th, 2008 at 10:24am

I have to concur with abu, US aid is a misnomer and little or none of it goes to worthy causes.

However this FACT does not stop the right wing in the UDS bleating about how generous the US is as a nation.

Quote:
Aid is central to Washington's relationship with Cairo. The US has provided Egypt with $1.3 billion a year in military aid since 1979, and an average of $815 million a year in economic assistance. All told, Egypt has received over $50 billion in US largesse since 1975.

"Aid offers an easy way out for Egypt to avoid reform," says Edward Walker, the US ambassador to Egypt from 1994 to 1998. "They use the money to support antiquated programs and to resist reforms."

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0412/p07s01-wome.html

Quote:
Since the 1970s, Israel has been one of the top recipients of U.S. foreign aid.  While it is mostly military aid, in the past a portion was dedicated to economic assistance. In 2004, the second-largest recipient of economic foreign aid from the United States was Israel, second to Iraq. In terms of per capita value Israel ranks first.

In 2007, the United States increased its military aid to Israel by over 25% to an average of $3 billion per year for the following ten year period, while ending economic aid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel-United_States_relations

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print