Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
viewer advisories going overboard (Read 513 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
viewer advisories going overboard
Jul 1st, 2008 at 10:37pm

I've been watching big cat diary on the ABC on Tuesday nights. I am a bit disturbed by the latest viewer advisory. There is a warning at the start letting viewers know that the show contains images of animals hunting and eating prey. It is an absurd precaution to take. No-one is going to watch a nature show, especially one about apex predators, without expecting to see animals eating. More troubling is the implication that we as a society are becoming sensitised to images of killing in a natural setting, while at the same time becoming desentitised to images of mass slaughter of humans. We (almost) all eat meat. Most of those who do handle it raw at some point. How can we do that, then freak out at the sight of an animal getting killed? It implies both an oversensitivity to the killing of animals, but at the same time a willingness to turn a blind eye to animal cruelty on an industrial scale, provided it is kept out of sight.

Note that the show does go overboard with anthropomorphism. The narrators constantly express their emotional attachments to the big cats. Yet I have yet to see one of the cats get harmed - only the standard prey animals, plus a baby hyena they killed as a competitor. Hopefully something will kill Todo the Gay Leopard Kitty soon. I'm getting sick of that bloke go on about how scared he is for it.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Re: viewer advisories going overboard
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 9:34am

freediver wrote on Jul 1st, 2008 at 10:37pm:
Hopefully something will kill Todo the Gay Leopard Kitty soon. I'm getting sick of that bloke go on about how scared he is for it.

Grin Grin

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print