Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is this for real? (Read 1820 times)
athiest
Ex Member

Is this for real?
Jul 1st, 2008 at 10:15am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/thou-shalt-not-annoy/2008/06/30/1214677946009.html

"EXTRAORDINARY new powers will allow police to arrest and fine people for "causing annoyance" to World Youth Day participants and permit partial strip searches at hundreds of Sydney sites, beginning today.

The laws, which operate until the end of July, have the potential to make a crime of wearing a T-shirt with a message on it, undertaking a Chaser-style stunt, handing out condoms at protests, riding a skateboard or even playing music, critics say"

What kind of t-shirts would the pope find offensive?

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Re: Is this for real?
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 10:49am

Quote:
What kind of t-shirts would the pope find offensive?

I have an original uncensored The Angels t-shirt with the words "No Way Get F**k, F**k Off"

Wink

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 11:01am

Well I can imagine plenty of stuff that would be considered offensive, I just worry about who gets to decide.

I could imagine ones of the pope with nazi references would be popular, but probably not allowed.

It is this very grey area of freedom of speech, vs hate speech, and deciding just where the line should be.

I do not know the answers, on a purely philosophical level, I would err on the side of free speech, but I also would not like to see kids being too over the top in their choice of protest T-Shirts.

I remember someone driving past an open air mass, blasting their horn and screaming out their versions of sexually perverse acts that the holy family committed in hell, this was obviously motivated by hatred and a desire to be as offensive as possible.

That goes beyond the boundaries of allowable free speech.

This is a call that unfortunately needs to be made, but whoever makes it will certainly need to exercise great judgement.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 11:03am

I think it's gone way too far. Then again, the paper could be exagerating it all.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

athiest
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 11:34am

freediver wrote on Jul 1st, 2008 at 11:03am:
I think it's gone way too far. Then again, the paper could be exagerating it all.

So do I,

Its bad enough that millions of taxpayer money is being spent on this thing, but to then dictate that certain t-shirts or music or handing out condoms wont be allowed is an outrage.

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 11:49am

I also have a t-shirt with Killing Jokes' "Laugh? I Nearly Bought One"  album cover printed on the front.

It shows the Pope flanked by Nazi SS officers conducting troops inspection. The troops and the Pope were doing the Nazi salute.

How do you post an image on here?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 11:56am

You should see a browse button below where you type in your post.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 1:26pm

I doubt if the Pope would be insulted or offended himself. However, a great many Catholics would be affronted if Australia disgraced itself in front of the Pope. It is a major religion in Australia after all.

I don't see the problem with the legislation, but that's just me.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 4:44pm

freediver wrote on Jul 1st, 2008 at 11:56am:
You should see a browse button below where you type in your post.

Got it! Thanks. I was misled by the "Insert Image" icon above the post.

680587.jpg (27 KB | 44 )
680587.jpg

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 4:56pm

Insert image is for pictures that are already on the net somewhere. It's easier to use. The upload feature is more useful for pictures you have taken yourself.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #10 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 7:23pm

It's absolutely pathetic and the Pope's visit is being taken far too seriously and to the extreme.   How harmless is it to give out condoms and wear anti-catholic T-shirts?  Of course violence should be curtailed - but those wanting to make fun of this circus should be entitled to.  Anyone caught doing either of these two things could be liable for a $5,000 penalty or imprisonment.  Meanwhile the whole city has to come to a standstill for a week for 80,000 visitors - no-where near the 500,000 predicted.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 10:00pm

Perhaps a bit of civil disobedience is in order. No doubt someone will try handing out condoms to test the laws.

How big of an area do these laws cover? Could it be likened to a private property situation? On the news a police chief or someone was saying that there were no special or new laws for this occasion.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #12 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 9:41am

mantra wrote on Jul 1st, 2008 at 7:23pm:
It's absolutely pathetic and the Pope's visit is being taken far too seriously and to the extreme.   How harmless is it to give out condoms and wear anti-catholic T-shirts?  Of course violence should be curtailed - but those wanting to make fun of this circus should be entitled to.  Anyone caught doing either of these two things could be liable for a $5,000 penalty or imprisonment.  Meanwhile the whole city has to come to a standstill for a week for 80,000 visitors - no-where near the 500,000 predicted.

I don't think the Christian religion should be fair game. Substitute the Dalai Lama or the King of Sweden. Anyway, Roman Catholicism is rapidly becoming a minority religion. We should respect our minorities.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 10:41am

They should all be fair game. There is always someone protesting when a visiting dignatary turns up. When the Dalai Lama came, Chinese nationalists were allowed to protest.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print