Send Topic Print
a secular moral code (Read 23975 times)
Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Re: a secular moral code
Reply #90 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 1:54pm

Well, being a non-Muslim (an "infidel", as Sprint would say) I'm not 100% sure. However, during my stay in Malaysia it was my understanding that that was case.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Re: a secular moral code
Reply #91 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 2:08pm

freediver wrote on Jul 10th, 2008 at 12:05pm:
A Jew would say I divorce you, then repeat it twice. A Christian would say he has sinned. A Muslim would get three of his mates to witness it, then stone him to death.

Yet if you read the texts, adultery is defined as when a married man 'fornicates' with a married woman. This is clear in both the Old and the New Testament.

As far as the Qur'an is concerned, as long as you have that maiden in your right hand, go for your life. Marry 2,3, or 4 if you like. No need to consult with your other wives, or even let them know that you have another wife.

You see, according to these ancient systems of morality, the crime is against the other woman's husband. It's clear in all references that women are regarded as property. They just don't count as they do nowadays. There is an interesting line somewhere in the Qur'an that talks about the wives of deceased men. You must never ever take them on as wives - unless they are very horny (or was it wanton or libidinous). I guess that's what you call a 'loose' translation from the Arabic.

Of course, the Christian church has adopted this modern sense of the word adultery to mean any sex outside marriage as if it was their own idea.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print