Send Topic Print
a secular moral code (Read 23920 times)
NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: a secular moral code
Reply #15 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 10:47am

muso wrote on Jul 3rd, 2008 at 10:19am:
For me that becomes an intrinsic part of my personal morality, but I recognise that others may have different priorities in life, and I respect that.

And I imagine you would expect that others should show respect for your values by not impeding (or perhaps also not denigrating) your right to express self-respect in the acceptable way you choose to do it.

Would you agree that you would think more of someone who showed he had respect for others (and also self-respect) than someone who had nothing but contempt for him/herself and the world? (I'm not setting up any traps or trick questions, I'm just confirming by consensus that respect is essential to any moral code).

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #16 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 11:03am

muso,

Quote:
That's why we've got a legal system.

A legal system is indeed part of the moral code, so suggesting it's something else is just plain wrong. A Legal system decides what's good and bad, and then enforces that on all of society, punishing those who disagree/disobey.

What you really mean to say is that you seek to distill out those moral subjects you don't believe the state has a right to decide upon, and move them over into the personal domain, whereby each individual formulates his/her own personal approach to them?

Quote:
The things that can actually harm somebody need to be part of a legal system that adapts to changes in societal norms through the ages

How do you define harm? There's bound to be a lot of activities that cause harm, but you can't actually perceive it directly. Perhaps it's long term harm, perhaps the harm manifests itself in indirect ways etc. When we define laws according to societal norms, we set a dangerous precedent. Because societies are often misled into accepting norms which are really quite wrong. By your definition the Nazi massacres against minorities were fine, because the societal norms in Nazi Germany permitted it to come about.

Quote:
because religions don't have that mechanism to adapt

I would have to strongly disagree here, and suggest you really haven't studied religions enough to comment on this.

Christianity for a start is a great adapter. It can mould and twist itself to compensate for almost any condition, even expunging some of it's own core tenets just to please the masses of the time.

Islam also has mechanisms for adapting, specifically the process of ijtihad.

Quote:
The minor differences in morality, such as what happens in people's bedrooms have no place in law

You've gotta be kidding? You think people can just do anything they like in their bedrooms and the society at large is completely unaffected by it? And as we can see by the Mardi Gras example, what happens in people's bedrooms rarely stays there. The fact is that many practises occur in bedrooms that do affect societies, and this will always be the case. You simply cannot seperate law and morality, they are one in the same.

Quote:
Religions should have no right to condemn people who choose to follow another path

As I am a believer in theocracy, that really doesn't mean much to me, as I believe the entire state apparatus should be controlled by the laws of the Creator. Religion shouldn't just have an input, it should be the only single deciding factor in the way a state should be run.

Quote:
People should be totally free to make their own decisions on what they believe regardless of what their parents believe

You sound like a rebellious teenager, what are you doing on a political forum?

Quote:
By the way societal norms do change. If you don't accept that, you're being hypocritical

for 1350 years of Islamic rule, societal norms did not change. The laws of the Shari'ah remained the same. That doesn't mean they couldn't expand to deal with new situations, they could, but the basis by which they dealt with those new situations was exactly the same immutable concepts that were revealed by the Creator.

The fact that societal norms change, is a case against your concept of "rolling morality". If we base our morality on something that's constantly changing, then chances are our morals are going to end up pretty corrupted.

Quote:
I don't want to bring up this historical pedophilia discussion again, but it illustrates my point

That's a completely seperate issue. Islam always regards the age of consent to be the age of maturity, regardless of time period. When the shari'ah is re-implemented again, it will be the same, it is timeless. It is only the Western nations which have changed their attitude about this.

Quote:
You may have noticed that I stayed right out of that particular debate, because I consider it distasteful and disrespectful to Muslims.

Feel free to engage in that debate if you wish, I had no problem with it whatsoever. Those who tried to twist the concept were quickly silenced. All we had was one lone lunatic who insisted on continuing to mount personal attacks against the Prophet (Pbuh) and that person will find themselves ignored, as their vitriolic attacks and slanders do not warrant a reply.

Quote:
As long as people don't try to force their beliefs and the morality of their religions down my throat, I'm quite happy

Well my intention was not to force anyhting down your throat, just to raise some issues I think you should consider i you're going to adopt such beliefs about morality

Quote:
The fact of the matter is that we live in a country with many different beliefs and many different religion-based morality systems, though not as different as some may have us believe.

Yes we do, and I am pleased you recognise it. A lot of people wish to ignore this fact, and delude themselves into thinking they still live in the "steak and eggs 50s" as you put it

Quote:
You're missing the point. I don't seek to impose my personal morality on an entire nation. That's what some religious people do.

You might not think you do, but in reality that's what has to occur. Some kind of law/morality has to be imposed upon the nation, either it's yours or it's mine, or we all get together and decide according to the social norms, or we use an absolute standard

run out of characters..

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #17 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 11:06am

I think we need to clarify a few points here. Secularism does not mean absence of religion. It just means absence of religion from government. Just because someone supports secularism, does not mean they aren't religious. You can support a secular moral code as a bare minimum that you think people should live by in your societiy, regardless of their belief system, while at the same time adopting a higher standard for yourself. It is only a problem when the standards are 'different', with none being universally considered more moral - such as with the abortion and polygamy arguments. Secularism is not the same thing as atheism or agnosticism. It is a political belief, not a relgious one.

I am against any morale code.  If an act is not strictly limited by law, then the act is not illegal.  People may choose not to do the act because they find it immoral, but it is not illegal, and should not be.

Billy isn't that just a definition of legal vs moral?

muso:

It's not the morality of a 2000 year old religion that doesn't even anticipate some of the moral dilemmas that we face today, such as the fact that we live in a multicultural society where people have no common belief system

Uh, I think they were familiar with that issue even back then.

Religions should have no right to condemn people who choose to follow another path, or those people who decide to change their path in life.

Religions don't. God does. Religions merely inform people of the truth. All religions I know of preach that there should be no compulsion in religion. In other words, they don't do the condemning.

abu:

In essence your morality is subservient to your own desires. It serves you, and nobody else.

This misses two important points. One is enlightened self interest, and the other is that you don't necessarily need religion to care about others.

There are dark and twisted people out there, whose idea of morality is quite distant from yours. So if you advocate each person formulating his/her own morality, then do you accept that dark twisted person's morality as being just as valid as your own?

Why would they do that? There are many ways to judge different moral codes.

Evolving morality is very dangerous

What is the difference between evolving morality and abrogation?

muso:

The minor differences in morality, such as what happens in people's bedrooms have no place in law.

That's not entirely true. You can be punished for deliberately spreading an STD.

The problem arises when one group or another want to impose their own morality on general society

that's what democracy is.

helian:

Should we not live by a code which requires that we show respect (as opposed to contempt) towards our fellow citizens and ourselves (presuming that we have no reason to believe the person is contemptible for having broken or continuing to break the law)?

Not sure about that one. There are some very powerful social feedback loops at play in ur society that help top keep in running smoothly. Disrespect is one of them. If you want society to adopt virtues that aren't legally enforced, then that will inevitably involve either disrespect to people who are not virtuous, or the inevitable enshrinement of those virtues in law and the erosion of personal freedom.

abu:

And as we can see by the Mardi Gras example, what happens in people's bedrooms rarely stays there.

Are you saying people have sex on the street at mardi gras?
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2008 at 11:13am by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #18 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 11:31am

freediver,

Quote:
This misses two important points. One is enlightened self interest

Not everyone who formulates their own moral/legal code will be englightened, you must take this into account.

Quote:
and the other is that you don't necessarily need religion to care about others

This point is definitely valid, caring about others can exist without religion.

Quote:
What is the difference between evolving morality and abrogation?

The source. Evolving morality takes the societal norms as it's basis for formulating right and wrong. Abrogation on the other hand is from the same divine source as the original law/moral, and therefore is just as absolute as it.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #19 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 11:35am

freediver wrote on Jul 3rd, 2008 at 11:06am:
The minor differences in morality, such as what happens in people's bedrooms have no place in law.

That's not entirely true. You can be punished for deliberately spreading an STD.

Well yeah, I agree. That's not exactly trivial. Neither is sex with a minor. I agree that society should be protected from these things.

The 'vibe' of my remark was directed against the 'bedroom police' aspect of certain religions. If people choose to practice sodomy between consenting adults in heterosexual or homosexual relationships, then that just concerns the two people involved, regardless of their religion. Obviously when it starts to impinge on vulnerable members of society, it's a different matter.

There was an interesting article on ABC Radio National last night, maybe it was on Life Matters. I'll have to track it down, but it was from a female Muslim in Malaysia. She had a lot of relevant things to say about the way Islam has changed in Malaysia recently.
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2008 at 11:57am by muso »  

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #20 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 11:37am

Not everyone who formulates their own moral/legal code will be englightened, you must take this into account.

This isn't about a personal moral code, but a universal one.

Evolving morality takes the societal norms as it's basis for formulating right and wrong.

It doesn't have to.

Abrogation on the other hand is from the same divine source as the original law/moral, and therefore is just as absolute as it.

Sprint gave me the impression that people could change it. Does Islam consider the law fixed until the next prophet comes?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 11:50am

Quote:
helian:

Should we not live by a code which requires that we show respect (as opposed to contempt) towards our fellow citizens and ourselves (presuming that we have no reason to believe the person is contemptible for having broken or continuing to break the law)?

Not sure about that one. There are some very powerful social feedback loops at play in ur society that help top keep in running smoothly. Disrespect is one of them. If you want society to adopt virtues that aren't legally enforced, then that will inevitably involve either disrespect to people who are not virtuous, or the inevitable enshrinement of those virtues in law and the erosion of personal freedom.

Strictly speaking respect is enshrined in law... at least in terms of respect for the law.

Respect in itself for oneself and others (external to legal matters) must be self-imposed and form part of one's aspiration towards an ideal character. It cannot be enforced legally anyway. If someone chooses self-loathing, then there's nothing that can be done. However a secular religion would need a founding ideal which exemplifies the pinnacle of the ideal of respect and its manifestation in one's character.

Perhaps this is where the Hillelian golden rule can be adopted in a "secular religion" - "That which is hateful to you, do not do to others".

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 11:52am

Strictly speaking respect is enshrined in law... at least in terms of respect for the law.

How so? Obeying the law and respecting it are not the same thing.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #23 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 12:17pm

muso,

Quote:
Well yeah, I agree. That's not exactly trivial. Neither is sex with a minor. I agree that society should be protected from these things

So who's to make the decision that this should be policed yet not other practises? Some people obviously believe these practises are acceptable, or they wouldn't be partaking in them. You, or someone else, has to apply their own moral/legal judgements to these issues and then legislate them and enforce them in society. In the end, it's the same result.

Quote:
There was an interesting article on ABC Radio National last night, maybe it was on Life Matters. I'll have to track it down, but it was from a female Muslim in Malaysia. She had a lot of relevant things to say about the way Islam has changed in Malaysia recently.

You should be aware that they do hand pick their guests for these shows. You can find someone in almost any society to say anything you want them to say. I obviously didn't hear the piece, so can't comment, but just keep in mind that this individual may not really have any valid knowledge about the situation there.

freediver,

Quote:
This isn't about a personal moral code, but a universal one.

Well secularism ultimately has to take the personal moral/legal code of individuals in society because it doesn't believe in a divine source.

Quote:
It doesn't have to.

Well that's what muso was advocating.

Quote:
Sprint gave me the impression that people could change it. Does Islam consider the law fixed until the next prophet comes?

In Islam the law is divine and immutable except by the Creator himself, yes in the past this has meant no abrogation until a new prophet arrives, but Muhammad (Pbuh) is the last prophet according to Islam, and the law has been completed. In the last message of Islam, the Qur'an, the system of governnance was completed and finalised, and does not require any further abrogation. This doesn't mean new laws can't be introduced, they can, as the Shari'ah contains a process called ijtihad, which makes it possible to legislate for new situations using analogical deduction and other methods to arrive at a judgement that is perfectly in line with the revealed texts.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #24 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 12:28pm

So who's to make the decision that this should be policed yet not other practises? Some people obviously believe these practises are acceptable, or they wouldn't be partaking in them.

There is a victim in pedophilia, there is not one in consensual homosexual sex between adults. There is a clear moral boundary, not a slippery slope as you imply. The boundary has it's basis in secular morality.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 12:30pm

freediver wrote on Jul 3rd, 2008 at 11:52am:

How so? Obeying the law and respecting it are not the same thing.

Only insofar as respecting is a synonym for obeying.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #26 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 1:31pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 3rd, 2008 at 10:47am:
muso wrote on Jul 3rd, 2008 at 10:19am:
For me that becomes an intrinsic part of my personal morality, but I recognise that others may have different priorities in life, and I respect that.

And I imagine you would expect that others should show respect for your values by not impeding (or perhaps also not denigrating) your right to express self-respect in the acceptable way you choose to do it.

Would you agree that you would think more of someone who showed he had respect for others (and also self-respect) than someone who had nothing but contempt for him/herself and the world? (I'm not setting up any traps or trick questions, I'm just confirming by consensus that respect is essential to any moral code).

I don't tend to judge people because of their outlook on life.

I've met people who have nothing but contempt for themselves and the world. I regard them as a challenge. I know one such person that I speak to regularly. He's part aboriginal, yet he's very quick to judge others and he hates everyone with a vengeance. He doesn't mind a chat from time to time though. Last week he was complaining about somebody because of what he did in his private life (I won't go into details).
I said to him "Being part, Aboriginal, you must have got a lot of sh1t from people during your life".
- "Yeah - all the time"
- "So I would have thought you would be the last person to judge other people, especially since you don't know the whole story"  

He went quiet for a while. I don't know if what I said had any effect on him, but it made him think.

I just find such people interesting. I want to know what makes them tick, and if there is anything I can do or say to help heal their malaise.

I think it goes deeper than just self-respect. It's more a question of overal mental profile, and there can be a variety of underlying causes for such an outlook on life. It could be something as simple as sleep apnoea.  Sometimes you can help people become less bitter and twisted by just talking to them and maybe help untwist them.

It comes down to brain function, and a great deal hinges on individual  locus of control.

We all know people with a mainly 'external' locus of control. They are the ones who spend all their time whingeing about one thing or another. They see themselves as victims, and often end up as victims of one or more medical conditions. They don't accept any specific criticism, not even personal criticism. Their usual retort is "You talk about me doing x ? Last week, you did y..." where x and y are totally unrelated. They tend to have a black and white sense of morality too. People are either good or they're evil. It's called external locus of control because they see the controlling factors in their lives as being mainly outside their control, and in fact they are comfortable with that to the extent that they feel threatened if you suggest that there are aspects of their lives that they can have some control over.  
E-loc's are severely disadvantaged in life because they are much more likely to suffer from a wide range of medical conditions, including cardiovascular disease, cancers and other conditions.

Then we come to I-locs. It's simplistic to say that you're either one or the other, because we all fall into both roles at various times. The main thing is exactly where our locus of control falls on average.

I-locs are a bit more straightforward to deal with. They assume control for their lives and generally ignore, or where possible try to influence those aspects of their lives that are outside their control.

Why lose sleep over it if an issue is beyond your control. The answer is in a simple question - What can I do to mitigate or eliminate this issue?

So if you want to get closer to my own ideas on morality, you'll need to get into the functions of a particular body organ (actually the principal sex organ) and how we use it. We all have one, and some are bigger than others. Can I say the word hypothalamus on here? Broadly speaking the main sex organ is the brain.

A lot of our attitudes on morality come down to how we use the brain, and particular the hypothalamus and how we allocate data and program our memory.

In summary, I prefer not to judge a person because of his attitudes. I prefer to understand why he has those attitudes.
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2008 at 1:45pm by muso »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #27 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 1:36pm

Questionf for Abu and Malik: What is Islamic law regarding pedophilia and homosexuality? Does it accept higher societal standards or tolerance? Would you support different standards to what Islam teaches you? Can something be wrong or immoral, even if the Koran does not describe it as such?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #28 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 1:52pm

Both are considered illegal practises and are capital offenses under Islamic law.

Quote:
Would you support different standards to what Islam teaches you?

I believe in Islam, so no I don't support different standards. However, since we do not live under an Islamic government, we must live by different laws. The two should not be confused. Islam prohibits vigilantism, and we definitely do not condone attempting to clandestinely implement our law in a non-Islamic state. This is a matter that is often confused and misconstrued in the media.

Quote:
Can something be wrong or immoral, even if the Koran does not describe it as such?

The Qur'an does not detail every little thing. It is an exposition of all things, but not in minute detail. The Sunnah, collections of recorded speech and eyewitness reocrds of Muhammad's (Pbuh) actions is by far the larger source of material to be used in Islamic jurisprudence.

As I mentioned previously, in case a specific matter is not detailed in the Qur'an or Sunnah, then we have the process of ijtihad to determine it.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #29 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 2:00pm

abu_rashid wrote on Jul 3rd, 2008 at 12:17pm:
So who's to make the decision that this should be policed yet not other practises? Some people obviously believe these practises are acceptable, or they wouldn't be partaking in them. You, or someone else, has to apply their own moral/legal judgements to these issues and then legislate them and enforce them in society. In the end, it's the same result.

Who do you think makes that decision at the moment? Society, through the legislators, and through the democratic process, perhaps with some lobby groups. That's how it works in a democracy.

Do you think it's better to enforce a minority view on society? Would you like to see Shariah Law enforced against the will of the majority of people?  Do you think that it's fair and ethical to enforce a law on people 'for their own good' because society doesn't know what's good for it?

I can give you plenty of examples from Iranian society for example where people would like to have the freedom to pursue their lives as they wish. One example is a female downhill skiier who was prevented from participating from the sport on religious grounds. She ended up leaving the country to pursue her dream.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print