Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 42
Send Topic Print
Bible verses you like (Read 196931 times)
Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Re: Bible verses you like
Reply #90 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 4:36pm

It doesn't mention monkey brains or scorpion stew, so I suppose they're OK.
And whitchety grubs must be on the menu too, because God never even knew about them.

IP Logged

Jim Profit

Australian Politics

Reply #91 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 8:12am

Quote:
1 Peter 5:8-9:
Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.

A more wordy version of what I commonly say, "we all have problems, stop being a little bitch".

But I still believe there's something left for you and me.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #92 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 9:14am

Luke 16:19
There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
20  And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
21  And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
22  And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23  And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24  And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25  But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26  And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
27  Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
28  For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
29  Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
30  And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
31  And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #93 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 12:51am

Quote:
Galatians 2:16

... a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.

Quote:
Romans 7:7-8

“What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, ‘Do not covet.’ But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire. For apart from law, sin is dead.”

Quote:
Romans 6:14

For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.

Quote:
John 13:34-35

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you love one another.”

Romans 13:10

Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

James 2:8

If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #94 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 12:00pm

1 Corinthians 15:48
As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
49  And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
50  Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #95 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 12:14pm

Revelation 3:19
As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
20  Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #96 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 10:12pm

Isaiah 66:1
Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?
2  For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.
3  He that killeth an ox is as if he slew a man; he that sacrificeth a lamb, as if he cut off a dog's neck; he that offereth an oblation, as if he offered swine's blood; he that burneth incense, as if he blessed an idol. Yea, they have chosen their own ways, and their soul delighteth in their abominations.
4  I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spake, they did not hear: but they did evil before mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not.

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #97 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 4:42pm

Rev ch22 v8-9

Quote:
John, I am the one who heard and saw these things. When I had heard and seen them all, I knelt at the feet of the angel who had shown them to me, to worship him; but he said, 'Do no such thing: I am your fellow-servant and the fellow-servant of your brothers the prophets and those who keep the message of this book. God alone you must worship.'

Is Jesus revealing here that he is in fact NOT God? It appears so to me. He is trying to worship an angel who tells him to worship God. God would already know who/what the angel is/was and not have to worry about making that mistake.

Rev ch22 v10-15

Quote:
This, too, he said to me, 'Do not keep the prophecies in this book a secret, because the Time is close. Meanwhile let the sinner continue sinning, and the unclean continue to be unclean; let the upright continue in his uprightness, and those who are holy continue to be holy. Look I am coming soon and my reward is with me to repay everyone as their deeds deserve. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End. Blessed are those who will have washed their robes clean, so that they will have the right to feed on the tree of life and can come through the gates into the city. Others must stay outside: dogs, fortune-tellers, and the sexually immoral, murderers, idolaters, and everyone of false speech and false life.'

Here it looks like the angel is saying let the bad continue to do bad,  they have to find their own right path. Don't try and sway people either way, let them find their own salvation. Perhaps. It also mentions fortune tellers. I hope prophets are not considered in this vein. Who knows. Is a speculator/analyst considered a fortune teller or a mathematician?

Rev ch22 v18-19
Quote:
This is my solemn attestation to all who hear the prophecies in this book: if anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him every plague mentioned in the book; if anyone cuts anything out of the prophecies in this book, God will cut off his share of the tree of life and of the holy city, which are described in the book.

It looks to me like the Bible is saying here, that if you alter the Bible beyond a mere translation, you are in for it. If you decide to alter or remove parts for your own agenda, same deal.

Got my verses from TNJB. Am getting more Bibles coming along soonish to study and have a look at.

What do you all think of these verses?

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #98 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 7:33pm

This is really confusing now.

So, Jesus wasn't God.

That's what the Muslims say.

How can any Christian miss the last chapter of the Bible?

Christians and Muslims, can you discuss this with civility? We need a Jew somewhere here also.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #99 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 9:13am

About the proud and mighty man.

Psalms 10:2
The wicked in his pride doth persecute the poor: let them be taken in the devices that they have imagined.
3  For the wicked boasteth of his heart's desire, and blesseth the covetous, whom the LORD abhorreth.
4  The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.

In his vanity, the proud forsakes his God.

Isaiah 65:11
But ye are they that forsake the LORD, that forget my holy mountain, that prepare a table for that troop, and that furnish the drink offering unto that number.
12  Therefore will I number you to the sword, and ye shall all bow down to the slaughter: because when I called, ye did not answer; when I spake, ye did not hear; but did evil before mine eyes, and did choose that wherein I delighted not.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist

OzPolitic

Reply #100 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 10:46am

Hi easel - In   http://www.biblegateway.com/   there are MANY different versions of the Bible offered.
No need to buy every version yourself.

We read those quotes a bit differently.
In the first quote, my Bible says John is saying those things.
The 2nd quote, - can't FORCE people to be "good."
As with christianity, it is of ones own free will.

I have always found the book of Rev. very confusing.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #101 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 5:13pm

Thanks for the link sprint.

Yeah I read the revelation again and it seems John wrote down what an angel told him, or similar.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist

OzPolitic

Reply #102 - Mar 11th, 2009 at 10:51pm

Freedom.

Quote:
"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

John 8:32

Quote:
"Then the Lord said to him, 'Take off your sandals; the place where you are standing is holy ground.
I have indeed seen the oppression of my people in Egypt. I have heard their groaning and have come down to set them free.
Now come, I will send you back to Egypt.'

Acts 7:33,34

Quote:
because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.

Romans 8:2

Quote:
It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.
Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

Galatians 5:1

To me, these quotes are intended to steer us clear of the yoke of slavery of religion.
We are not religious. We are spiritual.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist

OzPolitic

Reply #103 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 9:09pm

Quote:
I have seen his ways, but I will heal him;
      I will guide him and restore comfort to him,

Isaiah 57:18

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #104 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 11:13am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Apr 19th, 2009 at 9:09pm:
Quote:
I have seen his ways, but I will heal him;
      I will guide him and restore comfort to him,

Isaiah 57:18

Yes, there is certainly a wonderful sentiment, expressed in Isaiah 57.

That God's intent, and his desire, is to redeem [us] 'Israel'.

Isaiah 57:13
When thou criest, let thy companies deliver thee; but the wind shall carry them all away; vanity shall take them: but he that putteth his trust in me shall possess the land, and shall inherit my holy mountain;
14  And shall say, Cast ye up, cast ye up, prepare the way, take up the stumblingblock out of the way of my people.
15  For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
16  For I will not contend for ever, neither will I be always wroth: for the spirit should fail before me, and the souls which I have made.

I love these words too....

Psalms 32:1
Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.
2  Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.
3  When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long.
4  For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah.
5  I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 42
Send Topic Print