Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The much maligned christian crusades. (Read 7263 times)
NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: The much maligned christian crusades.
Reply #30 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 11:04am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 25th, 2008 at 8:10am:
Hi malik and helian - re "turning the other cheek."
They had done that for 100's of years.
Only to find the militant extremist muslims were determined to dominate the world and subjugate every infidel.

And Christian armies obliterated (or attempted to obliterate) competing religions and belief systems on every continent on earth by killing for Christ.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #31 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 11:16am

It does not explain a lot, Acid, it merely gives an indication of what moral philosophy we assume that Sprint draws upon.

Most of us have a very 'personal' definition of what our moral philosophy is, which will probably result from personal experience far more than merely following set principles laid down by either religious, or non-religious philosophers.

We are all on a quest to be the best we can be, and for many that means they choose to follow some religious philosophies, only when people go to the extreme of adopting one brand of philosophy as having all the answers, do we see irrational transience to a doctrine.

My discussions with sprint do not lead me to believe he is in that category.
He identifies Islam as a threat, and goes to sources he trusts, to seek elucidation on the issue, that you or I would give less credence to the sources he chooses does not diminish the fact that he is genuinely looking for answers, and is not merely seeking to demonise those of another faith.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #32 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 11:23am

that you or I would give less credence to the sources he chooses does not diminish the fact that he is genuinely looking for answers

It is reasonable to trust a Christian website for information about Christianity, but not about Islam or middle eastern history around the time of Muhammed. It does diminish any claims to be seeking the truth. Rather it points to a search for a validation of prejudgements.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #33 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 11:30am

mozzaok wrote on Jun 25th, 2008 at 11:16am:
It does not explain a lot, Acid, it merely gives an indication of what moral philosophy we assume that Sprint draws upon.

Lol. Mozz, I was being playful. Hence the wink.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #34 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 11:58am

mozzaok wrote on Jun 25th, 2008 at 11:16am:
He identifies Islam as a threat, and goes to sources he trusts, to seek elucidation on the issue, that you or I would give less credence to the sources he chooses does not diminish the fact that he is genuinely looking for answers, and is not merely seeking to demonise those of another faith.

I believe he is an Islamiphobe who conveniently ignores issues with his own brand of religious dogma and resists every attempt to help him understand Muslim thought. I would not be surprised if he parrots the same routine in any forum he can find, whether his assertions have been refuted or not. His is the way of mistrust and xenophobia and should be challenged at every opportunity. German anti-semitism grew out of all proportion thanks to the likes of the brilliant minded haters such as Martin Luther whose evil diatribes against Jews culminated in the holocaust (check the date of Martin Luther's birthday and the date of Krystallnacht...). For every atrocity committed by the very few Muslims in the name of Islam, there are examples of Christians doing the same in the name of Jesus. Don't you think the Islamic and Judaic worlds are full of stories of religious atrocities committed against them in the name of Christ? Even the great Pope John Paul II prayed for forgiveness of the Catholic Church for its acts of omission and commission against Jews, Muslims, Gypsies et al... including mass genocide.

Islam is an ancient faith that has existed for nearly a millennium and a half, it's not just going to disintegrate. It will remain an immense cultural force for most likely hundreds of years into the future. I believe the way forward is not to deconstruct its religious texts in aid of denigrating the faith (every religious doctrine can be misused to justify every evil act... and has been), but to look for commonalities and ways in which we can learn to live together. There are shining examples where Christians and Muslims live in harmony both maintaining a deep and abiding respect for each other's faith. Those are the examples we should be discussing. We don't have to agree nor do we have to believe what others believe but we have a responsibility to respect other cultures and belief systems so that we are immune to the Luthers and the Hitlers who would have us commit murder through a misguided and dangerous sense of cultural superiority.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2008 at 12:27pm by NorthOfNorth »  

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #35 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 12:08pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 25th, 2008 at 10:43am:
The sword is the bible :
"Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."Ephesians 6:17

You're right. I've had that explained to me before.

I just wonder if those Teutonic Knights, who wore the white Prussian Cross, understood that fine point while they were rampaging through Europe disembowelling and crucifying pagans after they had finished with Muslims in the Levant?

Then there was Cortez and the Conquistadores who came later with crosses on their sails (stealing chocolate bars) and wielding the swords of Christianity. I wonder if those blood thirsty zealots understood that particular fine point of theology?

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #36 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 12:50pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 25th, 2008 at 11:58am:
Islam is an ancient faith that has existed for nearly a millennium and a half, it's not just going to disintegrate. It will remain an immense cultural force for most likely hundreds of years into the future. I believe the way forward is not to deconstruct its religious texts in aid of denigrating the faith (every religious doctrine can be misused to justify every evil act... and has been), but to look for commonalities and ways in which we can learn to live together. There are shining examples where Christians and Muslims live in harmony both maintaining a deep and abiding respect for each other's faith. Those are the examples we should be discussing. We don't have to agree nor do we have to believe what others believe but we have a responsibility to respect other cultures and belief systems so that we are immune to the Luthers and the Hitlers who would have us commit murder through a misguided and dangerous sense of cultural superiority.

Well said! Smiley

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #37 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 1:41pm

Yes, well said helian. sounds very nice and tolerant of you.

Thing is, most of my quotes are from muslim texts themselves, or senior learned muslims.

No, i don't search for quotes i agree with.
I find many quotes and actions that are in total agreeance with the koran and/or hadiths.

Anyway, whatever. I'm pretty bored of this topic for a while.
Prob won't post much here in this vain for a whikle.

Have fun bashing those that are for the free world, while supporting the belief that openly states their desired for a totally muslim world.
You infidels.

Grin Grin Grin

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #38 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 1:43pm

Doesn't the church want to spread the gospel to the entire world?

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #39 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 1:49pm

Sprint,

Did you look up last Sunday's "The Spirit of Things" ?

You can listen to it here:

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/spiritofthings/stories/2008/2279383.htm

It was about Issa Jaber Abu Ghosh, who is working for co-operation between Arabs, Jews and Christian in Israel.

It's frustrating listening to people from two major religions argue, when it's perfectly obvious to me that both sides are capable of tolerance, and unfortunately intolerance too, just like all human beings.

It's like a fight between two teenage girls (the religions), where each boyfriend (devotee) can see no wrong in their own girlfriend.

Luke 6:35  But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.      
6:36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

The Family Of 'Imran 5:8 O ye who believe! Be steadfast witnesses for Allah in equity, and let not hatred of any people seduce you that ye deal not justly. Deal justly, that is nearer to your duty. Observe your duty to Allah. Lo! Allah is Informed of what ye do.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2008 at 2:07pm by muso »  

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #40 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 2:08pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 25th, 2008 at 1:41pm:
Yes, well said helian. sounds very nice and tolerant of you.

Thing is, most of my quotes are from muslim texts themselves, or senior learned muslims.

No, i don't search for quotes i agree with.
I find many quotes and actions that are in total agreeance with the koran and/or hadiths.

Anyway, whatever. I'm pretty bored of this topic for a while.
Prob won't post much here in this vain for a whikle.

Have fun bashing those that are for the free world, while supporting the belief that openly states their desired for a totally muslim world.
You infidels.

In the end, you're finishing off with contempt, self-pity and self-aggrandisement.

As I've said before, read some of Luther's rants to see Christian hatred in full bloom or just listen to some raving televangelist to see the ugly side of Christianity. You see Christianity as only a force for peace because you imagine it to be true all the time. It has also been a force for evil and war when twisted by evil minds. Islam has been so misused as well.

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #41 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 2:25pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 25th, 2008 at 1:41pm:

Free world? Free for whom? Your world? Christianity?

How can you claim to be for the free world when your diatribes are directed at ALL Muslims; radical AND moderate? If your argument was more targeted (say) at the extremists and radicals then you'll have little argument from me. However, its not. You chose to paint all Muslims the same because of their Book.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #42 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 4:42pm

Time for a reality check, Islamism is a problem.
Merely stating that there are bad christians does not diminish that fact.
Subjugating our freedoms and principles, so as to not offend Islamic sensibilities is not something which I am prepared to do.
I would like to be able to deal with people without having to even know their religious beliefs, much less alter my behaviour to accommodate their delusions.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #43 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 5:01pm

Subjugating our freedoms and principles, so as to not offend Islamic sensibilities is not something which I am prepared to do.

No-one is suggesting you do that. All we are suggesting is that the same freedoms be extended to Muslims. That is, don't deny the innocent their rights in order to undermine the criminals and extremists. That won't actually udnermine them - it will give them greater support. Opposition to collective punishment is one of the most fundamental principles in western culture.

I would like to be able to deal with people without having to even know their religious beliefs, much less alter my behaviour to accommodate their delusions.

Personal freedom does not cover not knowing what other people's religion is. It does not protect you from ideas you don't like. Rather, it protects their right to tell you, and your right to judge for yourself. It protects your right to declare your atheism.

You can't have it both ways. You can't have both freedom of speech and a right to not be told something you don't want to hear.

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #44 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 5:42pm

mozzaok wrote on Jun 25th, 2008 at 4:42pm:
Time for a reality check, Islamism is a problem.
Merely stating that there are bad christians does not diminish that fact.

The bad Christians that you've mentioned are not an indication of the moral worth of Christianity; nor are they an indication of Christians as a whole.

Yes, there are bad Christians but there are also good Christians. The problems that need solving are the bad Christians, not Christians as a whole and certainly not Christianity itself.

Christian zealots (and yourself) place blanket blame on Islam and all Muslims on account of some bad Muslims.

You misunderstand our point. No one is placating them. No one is bending over backwards trying not to offend them. It fact, f**k radical Muslims and extremists! They deserve the most severe punishment available for their crimes. However, Muslims are overwhelmingly good, just as Christians are overwhelmingly good. You do the majority an injustice by subjugating them wholesale.

And, why should you change your behaviour? They are normal people. Why assume that they have any delusions? I don't conduct my business by assuming that people is going to bible bash me any more than a Muslim trying to convert me to radical Islam (or kill me with their bomb belt). Why react any differently on account of their fashion, their accent or the colour of their skin? Do you feel that you need to watch what you say when speaking to a Jew for fear of offending them and being labelled anti-Semitic? Do you have an anxiety problem? You're just like the cliche woman walking down the street clutching her bag tightly when she sees a black man walking towards her; only to have him pass by without incident.

Ask yourself this - do you know exactly what our freedoms and principles are? Do they apply for all? Or, just Australians? Or, just Christian Australians? Do you not see that by wontonly defaming innocent moderate Muslims in the effort of preventing the sudjugation of our principles you are in fact the culprit against it?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print