Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Cab Fares (Read 4654 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Cab Fares
Jun 9th, 2008 at 8:49pm

What would your reaction be if, when you arrived at your destination, the Cabbie added a fuel surcharge to the normal fare?

12 months ago, I was paying $1.25 per litre for diesel.

I am now paying $1.77 per litre.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Re: Cab Fares
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 9:30pm

Aussie wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 8:49pm:
What would your reaction be if, when you arrived at your destination, the Cabbie added a fuel surcharge to the normal fare?

I would most likely shoot the Cabbie and steal his wallet.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 9:42pm

Vomit in the glovebox?

I was out drinking a few weekends ago when the pub shut, so we decided to head to another nearby one. I flagged a cab heading back into the city. The driver asked where we were going to. I said it was the next pub down the road, in the direction he was heading. He drove off without us. Why would he do that? It was towards the city. He would get the flagfall and a few extra dollars for a route he was going to take anyway. Next time I should lie and say I'm heading into the city, then change my mind once I get in.
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2008 at 9:57pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 7:30am

It sounds like he might have been a bit worried about your behaviour FD- maybe you slurred your words or looked a bit suspicious.  I'm not saying this was the case - it's only a suggestion.

Around my area - late at night they don't even bother to turn the meter on for the kids.  They quote a price and if they want to get home - they pay it and get ripped off.  There's no choice - all buses stop around here at 10 pm and the trains after that only run every 3 hours until 6 am.

There's an under supply of cabs.

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2008 at 7:47am by mantra »  

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 7:46am

freediver wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 9:42pm:
Vomit in the glovebox?

I was out drinking a few weekends ago when the pub shut, so we decided to head to another nearby one. I flagged a cab heading back into the city. The driver asked where we were going to. I said it was the next pub down the road, in the direction he was heading. He drove off without us. Why would he do that? It was towards the city. He would get the flagfall and a few extra dollars for a route he was going to take anyway. Next time I should lie and say I'm heading into the city, then change my mind once I get in.

Could it have been the vomit down your front?

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 3:26pm

Could have been the pee stain on the front of your jeans.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 3:42pm

No it wasn't that, my jeans were on backwards.

IP Logged

Ray_A

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 7:06pm

Vomit in the glovebox?

Not all cabbies are like this, FD. I know many who are, but I'm not one of them. I agree with your reasoning, that if a cabbie is heading in the "right" direction, it pointless to refuse a fare, even if only $5. But imagine sitting on a rank for one hour, to get a $5 fare, actually, $4.90, and the customer wants the 10 cents change. This actually happens.  What if this happened ten times in a row? How would you react?

"People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks them." &&&&--- Eric Hoffer. &&
IP Logged

Ray_A

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 7:25pm

mantra wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 7:30am:
There's an under supply of cabs.

Mantra, there's actually no under supply, and I'll explain why. There's an oversupply on week nights, where cabbies sit on ranks scratching their balls (excuse my, er, crudity), but on weekend nights the demand is very high. This is where the "under supply" occurs. But if more cabs were put on, it would make weeknights worthless for any cabbie to work. If more cabs were put on during weeknights, it would not be worth working as a cabbie, because you'd be working to feed the chooks. And you can't just magically get 50 more cabbies to work weekend nights. So the fact of life is, on weeknights the customer benefits, and on weekend nights the cabbie benefits. He can be selective in who he picks up, which he can't do on week nights. And he can refuse ridiculous fares offered by LAZY people who only have to walk two blocks to get home, when the cabbie could be getting $50-$100 fares from people who really need a cab. It's really simple business maths. If you can earn $50, why settle for $5, and drunk time-wasters too lazy to walk around the block?

"People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks them." &&&&--- Eric Hoffer. &&
IP Logged

Ray_A

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 7:36pm

Next time I should lie and say I'm heading into the city, then change my mind once I get in.

Unless you understand how fare meters work, the cabbie can outsmart you. If you deceive him, he has many ways of outsmarting you, and it's difficult to argue with a fare meter. I'll keep this one close to my chest.  Wink
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2008 at 9:35pm by Ray_A »  

IP Logged

Ray_A

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 7:59pm

Aussie wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 8:49pm:

Aren't you on LGP yet, Aussie? But the point is still taken. Too often I have people say that cabbies are excessively rich, and don't even deserve tips. That's if you don't mind putting in 80 hour weeks, or trusting drivers to bring your car back in one piece so you can have a break, and paying driver insurance on top of all other expenses. Does anyone here know what a green slip costs cabbies? Base fees? Lease fees? Eftpos fees? Computer upgrade fees? Maintenance fees to keep the car roadworthy for regular inspections, far more than the average driver? How long can you survive with some minor damage to your car? Every 12 months cabbies have to repair even minor damage to keep the car roadworthy, and pass tests an ordinary Joe wouldn't dream of. You think it's nice having to work 80-hour weeks? Then have lazy Centerlink drunkards tell you that you "earn too much"? Do they think cabbies have money-trees, and only have to plant the seeds and sit back and watch them grow?

Personally, I'd like to see ONE Saturday night with no cabs on the road, and no way for the drunks to get home. When left with court fees, or a lifelong criminal record, then lets see them complain about cab fares.

IP Logged

Ray_A

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 8:07pm

Acid Monkey wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 3:26pm:
Could have been the pee stain on the front of your jeans.

Pee, puke, crap, you name it. This is what we have to put up with. I know you're only joking. But we actually have to put up with this.....S-H-I-T.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 8:27pm

Good points Ray about the availability of cabs - but it is annoying to see what they charge teenagers (who are nuisances at times) in the early hours of Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Cash jobs are charged at between $30 and $60 for an approximate distance of 15 kms when the roads are empty and the cabs have a clear run.  There are no tolls.

Is this because they can do it and get away with it, or is it because they hate drunk, young people?  In this particular area - there are hundreds of youth looking for cabs.

It would be hard work depending on your customers.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 8:44pm

I've never had a cabbie demand cash up front. I think it's illegal.

IP Logged

Ray_A

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 9:15pm

freediver wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 8:44pm:

It's now legal in Melbourne. But a cab driver had to be stabbed before it became so.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #15 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 9:17pm

So you charge extra for stabbings now?

IP Logged

Ray_A

OzPolitic

Reply #16 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 9:25pm

mantra wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 8:27pm:
Cash jobs are charged at between $30 and $60 for an approximate distance of 15 kms when the roads are empty and the cabs have a clear run.  There are no tolls.

It's all fare-metered, Mantra. $30-35 sounds like a reasonable price for 15 klms. The fare meters don't run only on time, but mainly distance. If you drive at 100 kph, or 60 kph, the charge will be the same, depending on how much waiting time you have at traffic lights. If you drive fast, the meter goes fast. If you drive slow, the meter goes slow. Waiting time at lights makes a difference. Cabbies don't set the fares, the meter does.

IP Logged

Ray_A

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 9:27pm

freediver wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 9:17pm:
So you charge extra for stabbings now?

I don't charge anything for stabbings - as long as I'm doing the stabbing.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 9:34pm

freediver wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 8:44pm:

No, perfectly legal, well, in Qld anyway.

Ray, I run on diesel.

IP Logged

Ray_A

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 9:48pm

Aussie wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 9:34pm:
No, perfectly legal, well, in Qld anyway.

Interesting. It's not legal in NSW as yet, but we can still do it. I only ask for the money upfront if I have suspicions. Most of the time I don't. If someone with blue hair and fifty earrings looking stoned on drugs jumped in, I'd ask for money upfront. An extreme example, but we do have to make judgements on appearances, as you would know. I think I know 90% of the time who I can or can't trust. You can almost "smell" a potential runner or fare evader. The last two I had were arrested by police.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print