Send Topic Print
middle class welfare (Read 4369 times)
mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Re: middle class welfare
Reply #15 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 4:30pm

I have never agreed with the first home owners grant.
When even the most modest home sees you paying tens of thousands in stamp duty, and they will "give" you a grant of $4000 from it??

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

pope urban 2

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #16 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 11:37pm

I pay my taxes and should get something back when its my turn, I pay enough in tax for 3 dole bludgers and 1 pensioner every week, Ive never gotten anything, so when I do need Centrelink, I will use it.

God takes care of old folks and fools, while the Devil makes up all the rules.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #17 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 8:17am

Quote:
I pay my taxes and should get something back when its my turn, I pay enough in tax for 3 dole bludgers and 1 pensioner every week, Ive never gotten anything, so when I do need Centrelink, I will use it.

If you're paying approximately $1,000 per week in taxes - of course you deserve something back if you ever you need it - but what if you don't need welfare but just want it because you're entitled to it?

A lot of people are annoyed at the amount of tax they pay.  A true example:

The husband worked up near the top of a large Australian company for many years, but their fifth child was disabled.  The wife was always complaining about the tax her husband paid - yet she didn't take into consideration the disability pension their last child received for more than 30 years.  In the last few years another child has become chronically ill and is now on benefits.  There are no children to carry on the tax burden for these 2 disabled adults and the parents are now on pensions.

The dole is not as easy to get as people think - Howard reformed it stringently and most people who are unemployed these days are usually unemployable.

The tax system is unfair to working people without children - but if they have an accident or become too ill to work, there is a safety net and so there should be.  But if you are a healthy person, there is no reason to believe you're entitled to welfare.

This is where Howard stuffed up.  He took from those at the bottom and gave it to families all the way up to the top.  He claimed he was being fair, but instead he's exacerbated the welfare mentality and Rudd is going to have a hard time convincing people to give up their handouts.

IP Logged

pope urban 2

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #18 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 11:43am

Its not that Im complaining about paying too much tax, it does keep the country running but its the paying for people who just dont care that drives me crazy, if I see another dole bludger with a can of Woodstock at 8 in the morning Im going to scream. Every Thurday when I do my shopping, there is always a group of people with a slab and cartons of cigarettes out the front of Safeway, thats the things that annoy me the most. And single mothers, you can get pregenant once by accident but not two or three times.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #19 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 9:39pm

I think we should call them the whinging class. Why is the Australian buying into this nonsense? This was on the front page today. As this guy shows, you can comfortably support a wife and 7 children on $100 000. They find the most extreme example they can and they still can't make a case that he is doing it tough. But now he is complaining because of cuts to his welfare that will mean he is no longer able to invest an extra $10 000 of his income each year into super.

Boo smacking hoo.

Hard-working household feels the pinch

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23881940-2702,00.html

SIMON Dorries and his wife, Sonya, have seven children under 15 and another on the way. As a manager in a timber firm in Brisbane, Mr Dorries earns a bit above $100,000 a year, while his wife, who works hard at home, does not have an income.

The Dorries see themselves as the quintessential "working family", the kind that cheered Kevin Rudd's observation that people earning $100,000 were not rich and that the income level for the Medicare surcharge should be raised to $150,000.

The family budget is tight but they are not complaining. "I am very fortunate to have a well-paying job which, until recently, despite the size of my family, was enough to live on with a modest but comfortable quality of life," Mr Dorries told The Australian yesterday.

In recent months, though, the budget began to be pinched by rising grocery, fuel and mortgage costs. The fuel and food bill alone in most weeks is more than $600 and has been rising. "Since Christmas, we have gone from a situation where we were making ends meet, to a situation where we have been relying on savings to get by," Mr Dorries said.

Of course, Mr Dorries realised it was not sustainable and, like other working families, looked for relief in the May budget. But he has discovered that income-assessment changes from July 1 next year will wipe out most of his government support through family payments, which are now at about $300 a week under Family Tax Benefit Part A.

From the middle of next year, Mr Dorries's $10,000-a-year superannuation payment, which he makes through a salary sacrifice, will be included in his assessable income for the first time, giving him an annual assessable income of between $110,000 and $120,000.

Mr Dorries has calculated this means the loss of most of his family's $600-a-fortnight Family Tax Benefit A - about $15,600 a year. "This will take significant income from my family," he said.

Mr Dorries said that to make up the difference he will have to stop salary-sacrificing for his superannuation.

He estimates he will get about $6000 a year, after tax, by no longer contributing the $10,000 as superannuation. "This means we'll lose $300 a week in family payments and replace it with about $120 a week in after-tax pay," he said.

As well, he said, "I will no longer be able to save for my retirement and would have to depend on an age pension."

"My wife and I have no idea how we will survive come July 2009," he said.

Mr Dorries said it was particularly upsetting because the family tax benefits had been lifted to compensate families for the introduction of the GST. "Now we won't have family benefits and we still have the GST," he said.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 7:32am

pope urban 2 wrote on Jun 7th, 2008 at 11:43am:
Its not that Im complaining about paying too much tax, it does keep the country running but its the paying for people who just dont care that drives me crazy, if I see another dole bludger with a can of Woodstock at 8 in the morning Im going to scream. Every Thurday when I do my shopping, there is always a group of people with a slab and cartons of cigarettes out the front of Safeway, thats the things that annoy me the most. And single mothers, you can get pregenant once by accident but not two or three times.

Wow! What a lot of assumptions in that.

How do you know that the alco fagging on in front of Safeways, isn't casually employed and on a day off, or maybe he's getting the drinks for after work. Anyways, 8am is quite early for a dole bludger.

How do you know that the group are not dominantly employed or students? You don't is the point.

Most single mothers on welfare have recently divorced or separated after having children within a long relationship. There is a teen-mum problem growing, but they are not the dominant group on parenting payments.

A steriotypical 'dole blugger' looks like a raggle taggle with drug and alcohol dependancy resulting in aquired brain injuries and mental health issues. Often they are the product of generational welfare. They have ususally had a most poo-filled life with only pockets of happiness here and there. Hence their mental health issues present as negatives.

Did you know for example, that hearing voices is not so uncommon. It's just those who have had a positive upbringing with normal levels of happiness, have equally positive voices chatting away and it doesn't bother the person or their ability to function in society. When the upbringing has been negative, those inclined towards voices, hear negative ones. Voices reflect the life lived then.

Often such 'dole bluggers' are not put on disability, as they have not completed all the interventions centrelink can offer such as rehabilitation and personal support programmes.

Rest assured, however, centrelink customers are getting assessed and profiled psychologically like never before.

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #21 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 8:56am

Quote:
I think we should call them the whinging class. Why is the Australian buying into this nonsense? This was on the front page today. As this guy shows, you can comfortably support a wife and 7 children on $100 000. They find the most extreme example they can and they still can't make a case that he is doing it tough. But now he is complaining because of cuts to his welfare that will mean he is no longer able to invest an extra $10 000 of his income each year into super.

Boo smacking hoo.

This is becoming pathetic and there are more sob stories out today.  So for example a person can salary sacrifice $50,000 for their retirement and be entitled to the same benefits as someone on $50,000 less.  Howard has got a lot to answer for.  Good on Rudd for ploughing through these loopholes and closing them.  

Quote:
Often such 'dole bluggers' are not put on disability, as they have not completed all the interventions centrelink can offer such as rehabilitation and personal support programmes

So true Sappho - there are a few in my area and they haven't got the mental capacity to help themselves.  Because they are on unemployment benefits, they often don't get their fortnightly dole because they haven't got the ability to follow Centrelink protocol.  The procedure to claim a DSP is a complicated one and for those mentally incapacitated they need help to apply - often these poor souls have no-one who cares to assist them.

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #22 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 3:13pm

mantra wrote on Jun 19th, 2008 at 8:56am:
So true Sappho - there are a few in my area and they haven't got the mental capacity to help themselves.  Because they are on unemployment benefits, they often don't get their fortnightly dole because they haven't got the ability to follow Centrelink protocol.  The procedure to claim a DSP is a complicated one and for those mentally incapacitated they need help to apply - often these poor souls have no-one who cares to assist them.

Such customers are flagged in the system Mantra... have no fear of that. They are being assessed also and referred on to the Personal Support Programme dominantely. Thing is... the previous govt. did not fund the programme as fully as was needed. As a result, we have many people on the waiting lists for Personal Support.

It's through that programme that pre-vocational issues are addressed such as  social disfunctionalism, stablising medical issues, stablising accomodation issues... A good outcome from the Personal Support Programme is educational enrolment, employment or a referral to the Disability Employment network. Personal Support Providers can also identify those who are best suitable for DSP and assist them in claiming the payment.

Meanwhile, whilst on the wait list, these 'dole bludgers' are given TLC by centrelink and not overly hassled about Activity Test compliance.

Slowly we are addressing these hard core customers, through a major programme of professional assessments and getting them on the right path or payment. 

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

King Billy

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 12:02pm

I think middle class welfare is a poorly thought out popularity grab that both sides use mercylessly. 

I think it will be around for some time to come.

Bill

IP Logged

Malik Shakur
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #24 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 1:58pm

We need to stop thinking that the government is there to baby us and look after us from the cradle to the grave.

The government also needs to bring down taxes dramatically and cut its spending.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #25 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 3:02pm

Welcome to OzPolitic Billy.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

djrbfm

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 11:51pm

as a salary earner, you are a sitting duck for being taxed.
don't blame anyone but yourselves.
you took the easy way out - a salary.
try working for yourselves. it's a lot harder to do, with little security.
it is not your business to question the tax dollar after you've become a salary slave. you are a sitting duck.
don't put the blame on unfortunates the have to use Centrelink.
you could easily be replaced by them.
boards like this serve a purpose but they cannot solve anything.
DR9.

IP Logged

King Billy

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 5:37pm

I don't mind being a salary earner, and I don't mind paying taxes, but I would rather have my taxes cut than have the government give me my tax dollars back in some welfare payment.

As for the guy who is complaining about not being able to place $10k in his super through salary sacrifice any more because it will cost him $15k in family benefits, are you kidding?

Bill

IP Logged

pope urban 2

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #28 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 8:55pm

A lot of people cry poor but have no control over their spending, big house, new car, holidays, gadgets and then complain of no money, be realistic and live within your means and you'll be ok. I hate hearing about, I have just bought an investment property and cant pay, boo hoo, bad luck, your the reason house prices are so high.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #29 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 12:05pm

freediver wrote on Jun 5th, 2008 at 2:16pm:
Wealthy people (who understand economics) are just as opposed to welfare for themselves as are the traditional recipients.

Grin Grin How egalitarian of them.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.
ANATOLE FRANCE

freediver wrote on Jun 5th, 2008 at 2:16pm:
Government handouts are in general bad for the econonomy, because of the waste they cause and because they tend to skew the economy.

Ironically, theft and crime, that has strong links to poverty, is positively great for the economy. Helps build the GDP figures because of insurance, goods being repurchased and the security and investigative personel required to stop it.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print