Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First Home Owner's Grant (Read 1112 times)
deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

First Home Owner's Grant
Jun 5th, 2008 at 8:56am

The SA Government plans to supplement the federal government's grant with one of their own.

Is this good economics because it's a Liebor scheme?  Or bad economics because it was first introduced by a coalition government federally?

Quote:
New first home grant in SA Budget

First home buyers in South Australia will be given a $4,000 grant as part of efforts to improve housing affordability.

The first home buyers' bonus in today's SA Budget is expected to cost the Government $130 million over four years.

The full grant will be paid for house purchases up to $400,000, then on a reducing scale up to a $450,000 purchase.

The grant will replace existing stamp duty concessions and will be paid additional to the federal $7,000 first home buyers' grant.

The SA Government estimates that more than 9,000 first home buyers will receive the new payment in the first year.

Link

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: First Home Owner's Grant
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 9:08am

It's bad policy:

Housing subsidy pushes prices up

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196683632

Something tells me you are serious when you only give partisan BS as potential reasons.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 9:17am

freediver wrote on Jun 5th, 2008 at 9:08am:
It's bad policy:

Housing subsidy pushes prices up

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196683632

Something tells me you are serious when you only give partisan BS as potential reasons.

I have seen your partisan responses and knowing your thoughts on Liebor = good, Liberal = bad saw no reason to include any others.

However we have had this conversation before and while you sometimes claim it has been responsible for the high price of housing, you will also sometimes claim it has had a negligible effect on prices - it depends on which corner you have painted yourself into.

Personally I have no such partisan issue as you, and think it is a good idea regardless of the party offering it.

Could you quantify for me the effect you think it will have please?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 9:20am

I have seen your partisan responses and knowing your thoughts on Liebor = good, Liberal = bad

You are the only one that behaves that way.

However we have had this conversation before and while you sometimes claim it has been responsible for the high price of housing, you will also sometimes claim it has had a negligible effect on prices - it depends on which corner you have painted yourself into.

My view on this is consistent. Only your interpretation is confused, which is why you don't quote me when you make these silly accusations, which you do repeatedly. Read the other thread again if necessary.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 9:24am

freediver wrote on Jun 5th, 2008 at 9:20am:
I have seen your partisan responses and knowing your thoughts on Liebor = good, Liberal = bad

You are the only one that behaves that way.

My view on this is consistent. Only your interpretation is confused, which is why you don't quote me when you make these silly accusations, which you do repeatedly. Read the other thread again if necessary.

You appear to have overlooked my question.

Could you quantify for me the effect you think it will have please?

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 11:50am

I think that negative gearing has had a greater impact on the increase in home prices than the FHOG. Sure get rid of the FHOG. In the scheme of the average mortage these days it does not make much difference.

Get rid of negative gearing first. Get rid of tax breaks for improving an investment property, the reward for improving it should be in a higher rental fee.

In MHO, the major contributing factor for the massive increase in house prices is that this country is becoming a
nation of landlords
. And people without the flair or entrepreneurial imagination to create wealth or jobs have found an easy, trendy way to accumulate wealth. By the time the 3rd house has been bought, the system just feeds and grows itself with tax assistance. New home owners are being forced further and further out and governments spend less on services and infrastructure. If your a working class man your name might as well be Ben Dover.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 3:36pm

How would you get rid of it? It applies to all forms of investment, not just houses. Should people be expected to pay tax on capital gains in yearly increments? If so, who decides what the capital gain is, if the product doesn't change hands? Or should people have to pay tax on gross income, even if they make a net loss?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print