Send Topic Print
Oils about nothing (Read 923 times)
mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Oils about nothing
May 28th, 2008 at 11:59pm

While the professional ingrate rabble rousers of talk back radio, bemoan the governments lack of action on on oil pricing, does anyone above sub moronic intellect not see it as the hollow chest beating exercise that it is?

Petrol is getting dearer, "It's bloody Labor's fault, it wasn't this dear under Howard", and equally idiotic sentiments are broadcast daily, and even the sheep in canberra are bleating the same tune, morons one and all.

The facts are just that we are using too much oil, and the reserves are diminishing, hence the much quoted, "supply and demand", is the real bogeyman, not any government, be it that of the french, whose fisherman are blocking ports in protest, or the british, whose truckies are also protesting, or any of the other dozens of other nations whose evening news stories are all beginning with images of disgruntled motorists paying through the nose.

I think we better send them an email, and tell them it is all Rudd's fault.

The facts are in, we need to cut ourselves off from our reliance on oil as a cheap fuel, because it no longer fits that bill, as well as our overuse of it polluting us to death.

We should also not downplay the potential for "oil wars", we already see governments kowtowing to rogue states like the Saudis, because of their oil wealth, unless we reduce our dependence, and fast, then security issues surrounding oil will grow even more exponentially than the price.

Promoting far greater efficiency is the first step, and then the transition to renewable energies must be tackled seriously, and globally, there really is no other intellectually, or morally defensible position to take.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Oils about nothing
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2008 at 8:18am

I agree.  For the past 12 years the coalition did very little to introduce alternative energy.   Our only biodeisel company nearly went down the gurgler when Howard introduced the rebate on diesel for trucks and other vehicles, but now that the price of oil is escalating - this company has a chance of gaining some of the market back.

The whingers who complain about the cost of petrol have to think of other solutions.  There is public transport, which might take a little longer, but is a fraction of the cost - and of course walking, which our obese nation has forgetten how to do.

There are many ways to economise on petrol, but our lazy nation just wants to be ferried from A to B without using any physical exertion.

We need to dig up some of our old technology - steam engines, electric cars and I believe one innovative person has run a car around Australia on used cooking oil.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2008 at 9:07am

yes, as a strong supporter of howard, his lack of action for renewable energies is the most I hold agaisnt his years.

Aussies are very innovative, by now we could/should be well the worlds leader in this area.

fuel-watch will make a negligable difference, and no difference on the bigger picture.
It is smoke and mirrors at best.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 7:55pm

I, for one, vote we all withdraw financial support from the gas-car industry and "Boycott Gas!"

Buy second hand, or only the cheaper models if you must buy new, and delay all purchases.

Give the alternative manufacturers a signal to take the plunge and, most of all, pass it on!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Shocked Shocked Shocked

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 8:02pm

mantra wrote on May 29th, 2008 at 8:18am:
I agree.  For the past 12 years the coalition did very little to introduce alternative energy.   Our only biodeisel company nearly went down the gurgler when Howard introduced the rebate on diesel for trucks and other vehicles, but now that the price of oil is escalating - this company has a chance of gaining some of the market back.

The whingers who complain about the cost of petrol have to think of other solutions.  There is public transport, which might take a little longer, but is a fraction of the cost - and of course walking, which our obese nation has forgetten how to do.

There are many ways to economise on petrol, but our lazy nation just wants to be ferried from A to B without using any physical exertion.

We need to dig up some of our old technology - steam engines, electric cars and I believe one innovative person has run a car around Australia on used cooking oil.

One of the great tragtedies is that, for a lot of circumstances, public transport does not prove to be that much cheaper.

For some, yes, but I would say that argument is actually distressingly limited.

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print