Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
12yo girl wins sex change (Read 1957 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
12yo girl wins sex change
May 27th, 2008 at 4:51pm

I heard about this on the TV. Apparently the father and others were concerned that the mother had always wanted a boy and had raised her as a 'tomboy' and was pressuring her.

Sex swap approved for girl, 12

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23753182-2,00.html

A JUDGE has allowed a 12-year-old Victorian girl to start a taxpayer-funded sex swap, despite objections from the child's father.

The girl has begun court-approved hormone treatment in the first step toward a complete gender switch.

The Family Court orders also permit the girl, who cannot be named, to apply for a new birth certificate, passport and Medicare card in a boy's name.

The application to allow the hormone treatment was lodged by the girl's mother.

A state government observer, an endocrinologist, a psychiatrist, a family counsellor and a lawyer acting on the child's behalf all supported the plan.

The girl is one of the youngest patients in Australia granted permission to begin a sex swap.

The court was told early intervention was needed because the child was stressed and anxious at the prospect of starting her period and had threatened self-harm.

Hormones implanted under her skin every three months will stop her menstruating and prevent her hips and breasts growing.

The court heard the hormone therapy was reversible and would give the family "breathing time".

A further court application must be lodged in coming years for testosterone treatment to deepen her voice and promote growth of facial hair and muscles.

Surgery to remove her womb or ovaries, or build an artificial penis must wait until she is at least 18.

News of the judge's decision yesterday ignited debate among medical ethicists and child-health experts.

Medical ethicist Dr Nicholas Tonti-Filippini said the decision was astounding.

"I fail to see how it can be in the interests of a young girl to undergo treatment that will change her for the rest of her life," he said.

"Twelve is a time of great uncertainty for a young person . . . I would question whether the medical evidence supports treating (her) in this way."

Australian Childhood Foundation chief executive Dr Joe Tucci, a psychologist, said the issue was complex.

"But I would have thought that waiting until the child is older is a more prudent course of action," he said. "Kids can change their minds. Things that seem set in stone when they are 12 will seem very different when they are 18 or 19."

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Re: 12yo girl wins sex change
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2008 at 12:13pm

A lot depends on the maturity of the child.

Some people are born with indeterminate genitalia. and the doctors decide which sex they will promote?

I have known quite a few people who have been pretty obviously gay, from a very, very young age.

If the person has the intellectual ability to identify their psychological sexuality, even at an early age, it may in certain circumstances be appropriate to let them pursue this option, rather than suffer through adolescence feeling totally wrong about their own bodies, and sexuality.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 9:09am

mozzaok wrote on May 31st, 2008 at 12:13pm:
A lot depends on the maturity of the child.

Some people are born with indeterminate genitalia. and the doctors decide which sex they will promote?

I have known quite a few people who have been pretty obviously gay, from a very, very young age.

If the person has the intellectual ability to identify their psychological sexuality, even at an early age, it may in certain circumstances be appropriate to let them pursue this option, rather than suffer through adolescence feeling totally wrong about their own bodies, and sexuality.

I don't know of any 12 year old, no matter how smart they are, who is capable of making a life decision.

Thankfully, the hormone replacement is merely delaying the onset of puberty. If the child changes her mind, stopping the medication will bring on sexual maturity.

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

Ray_A

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 7:11pm

I thought 16 was the age of consent?

"People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks them." &&&&--- Eric Hoffer. &&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print