Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Hockey has lost the plot (Read 11662 times)
athiest
Ex Member

Hockey has lost the plot
May 26th, 2008 at 2:19pm

Joe Hockey is now running around telling any media outlet that will listen to him that" petrol prices will always be lower under a Fiberal government".

Is he for real? I think Ive heard this phrase before, it seems the current mob are resorting to the old Howard lines to try to make their point. I wonder if they realise just how stupid they sound? I doubt it.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Hockey has lost the plot
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2008 at 2:21pm

It's a very bloody good line, stolen from Howard on interests.  Impossible to disprove, and to some, it sounds credible.

IP Logged

athiest
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2008 at 2:24pm

Aussie wrote on May 26th, 2008 at 2:21pm:
It's a very bloody good line, stolen from Howard on interests.  Impossible to disprove, and to some, it sounds credible.

Not really imposible to disprove Aussie, as far as I remember petrol was cheaper under Keating than it was under Howard.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - May 26th, 2008 at 2:27pm

Can we please drop the juvenile thing with silly nicknames for parties? It just makes the forum seem more inbred to those who aren't familiar with it.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

athiest
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2008 at 2:36pm

freediver wrote on May 26th, 2008 at 2:27pm:
Can we please drop the juvenile thing with silly nicknames for parties? It just makes the forum seem more inbred to those who aren't familiar with it.

Oh, must have been a typo freediver, I hope you'll ask deepthought to do the same.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2008 at 2:36pm

Quote:
It's a very bloody good line, stolen from Howard on interests.  Impossible to disprove, and to some, it sounds credible.

Not really imposible to disprove Aussie, as far as I remember petrol was cheaper under Keating than it was under Howard.

No, he and Howard mean that, NOW, prices would be cheaper under a Nelson led Liberal Government.  Impossible to disprove in that context.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - May 26th, 2008 at 2:36pm

If I thought there was a point, I would.

IP Logged

athiest
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 26th, 2008 at 2:37pm

Aussie wrote on May 26th, 2008 at 2:36pm:
Quote:
It's a very bloody good line, stolen from Howard on interests.  Impossible to disprove, and to some, it sounds credible.

No, he and Howard mean that, NOW, prices would be cheaper under a Nelson led Liberal Government.  Impossible to disprove in that context.

I know Aussie, it was a joke son.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #8 - May 26th, 2008 at 4:44pm

Quote:
Joe Hockey is now running around telling any media outlet that will listen to him that" petrol prices will always be lower under a Fiberal government".

Is he for real? I think Ive heard this phrase before, it seems the current mob are resorting to the old Howard lines to try to make their point. I wonder if they realise just how stupid they sound? I doubt it.

Is petrol discounted 5 cents a litre cheaper than petrol without a 5 cent discount?  Or are the two prices identical?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #9 - May 26th, 2008 at 8:28pm

Taking five cents a litre off wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to the price of petrol.  It fluctuates so regularly.  It jumped to $1.60 for a day, then started moving down - today it's  $1.50 - tomorrow it could be up to $1.70.  The government would be stupid to reduce any taxes.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #10 - May 26th, 2008 at 10:09pm

mantra wrote on May 26th, 2008 at 8:28pm:
Taking five cents a litre off wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to the price of petrol.  It fluctuates so regularly.  It jumped to $1.60 for a day, then started moving down - today it's  $1.50 - tomorrow it could be up to $1.70.  The government would be stupid to reduce any taxes.

I guess you are saying that it doesn't matter to you that one servo has fuel at $1.50 and another alongside has fuel at $1.45 today and tomorrow one had fuel at $1.70 and the other at $1.65.  You wouldn't notice the difference and would choose to pay $1.50 and $1.70 respectively without caring?  The price difference of 5 cents a litre is meaningless to you?

I expect you (and possibly athiest) are pretty unique then.  Most people do hunt for cheaper fuel and petrol retailers do discount because of the price attraction.

Why do you say the government would be stupid to reduce your tax burden?  Do you enjoy paying tax?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - May 26th, 2008 at 10:51pm

Mantra, it would make a difference, but it would come at a huge economic cost. There are far more appropriate targets for tax reduction. Petrol is about the worst choice of the bunch.

Cutting back that artificial variation, which is what I believe Rudd is doing, would also reduce the price, but with a fraction of the economic cost.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #12 - May 27th, 2008 at 7:31am

freediver wrote on May 26th, 2008 at 10:51pm:
Mantra, it would make a difference, but it would come at a huge economic cost. There are far more appropriate targets for tax reduction. Petrol is about the worst choice of the bunch.

Cutting back that artificial variation, which is what I believe Rudd is doing, would also reduce the price, but with a fraction of the economic cost.

Could you explain that without a link to Wiki, an opinion from Crikey or a suggestion no one understands unless they have had the education you possess please.

IP Logged

athiest
Ex Member

Reply #13 - May 27th, 2008 at 10:10am

deepthought wrote on May 26th, 2008 at 10:09pm:
mantra wrote on May 26th, 2008 at 8:28pm:
Taking five cents a litre off wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to the price of petrol.  It fluctuates so regularly.  It jumped to $1.60 for a day, then started moving down - today it's  $1.50 - tomorrow it could be up to $1.70.  The government would be stupid to reduce any taxes.

I guess you are saying that it doesn't matter to you that one servo has fuel at $1.50 and another alongside has fuel at $1.45 today and tomorrow one had fuel at $1.70 and the other at $1.65.  You wouldn't notice the difference and would choose to pay $1.50 and $1.70 respectively without caring?  The price difference of 5 cents a litre is meaningless to you?

I expect you (and possibly athiest) are pretty unique then.  Most people do hunt for cheaper fuel and petrol retailers do discount because of the price attraction.

Why do you say the government would be stupid to reduce your tax burden?  Do you enjoy paying tax?

I dont bother with shopper dockets which give you 4 cents or more discount on fuel, I think these companys over price the fuel to begin with and I could not be bothered driving around town (burning up fuel) to find some a couple of cents cheaper.

Manta is right, its a dumb idea, and a huge waste of money.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #14 - May 28th, 2008 at 2:23pm

It's a totally moronic line linked to a big bear of a man that will prove impossible to wipe from the public memory and worsen the Liberals branding problem.

Life is this cruel as was proved by the demise and further demise of Kim Beazley.

The only good it can do is to stir the Liberals upside down and force them to radically rethink a few positions entirely.

Grin Cheesy Shocked Huh Huh Cool

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print