Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 
Send Topic Print
Nelson's petrol tax cuts are a bad idea (Read 43896 times)
deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Re: Nelson's petrol tax cuts are a bad idea
Reply #210 - May 31st, 2008 at 7:10pm

Alex wrote on May 31st, 2008 at 7:03pm:
I havn't seen any proposal that will provide "cheaper fuel for those who struggle to survive" beyond $2.50 off a 75 dollar tank of petrol which will be completely clawed back anyway by the GST which takes 1 more cent every time the price goes up by ten cents. Thats why.

Funny you should be so worried about a few cents off excise but completely unconcerned about the effect of GST which will claw it back.

You provided the evidence that fuel excise is not the problem, and I accept it. When you see a real proposal to help "those struggling to survive", let me know.

I have. 

$2.50 is a chocolate bar to helian, but it is a kilo of spuds, a kilo of rice, a litre of milk or a loaf of bread to a pensioner.

I know that it doesn't seem very much to you but it is a lot to others who you show apparent disregard for.

GST can never claw back the excise reduction.  Ever. 

The GST on 33 cents will always be 3.3 cents.  Whatever else happens to fuel the price will always be 5.5 cents cheaper per litre.   GST can never take back the excise.

IP Logged

Alex

Australian Politics

Reply #211 - May 31st, 2008 at 8:44pm

deepthought wrote on May 31st, 2008 at 7:10pm:
I havn't seen any proposal that will provide "cheaper fuel for those who struggle to survive" beyond $2.50 off a 75 dollar tank of petrol which will be completely clawed back anyway by the GST which takes 1 more cent every time the price goes up by ten cents. Thats why.
Funny you should be so worried about a few cents off excise but completely unconcerned about the effect of GST which will claw it back.
"
You provided the evidence that fuel excise is not the problem, and I accept it. When you see a real proposal to help "those struggling to survive", let me know.

I have. 

$2.50 is a chocolate bar to helian, but it is a kilo of spuds, a kilo of rice, a litre of milk or a loaf of bread to a pensioner.

I know that it doesn't seem very much to you but it is a lot to others who you show apparent disregard for.

GST can never claw back the excise reduction.  Ever. 

The GST on 33 cents will always be 3.3 cents.  Whatever else happens to fuel the price will always be 5.5 cents cheaper per litre.   GST can never take back the excise.

"GST can never claw back the excise reduction.  Ever."

Except when the base price goes up by 50 cents. The GST applies to the entire price, not just the excise component.
Example:
base price of $1.00 + 33 cents excise + 13.3 cents GST per litre
base price of $1.50 + 33 cents excise + 18.3 cents GST per litre
base price of $2.00 + 33 cents excise + 23.3 cents GST per litre

Sheesh I'm glad I decided never to hire you.

Anyway, this topic is dead to me. Evidence shows there is no problem with our rate of fuel excise and some of us know the GST applies to the entire price of petrol and will continue adding 1 extra cent for every 10 cent rise in the base price of petrol until infinity.

All in favour of the honourable Mr freediver's proposition that "Nelson's petrol tax cuts are a bad idea" say aye

AYE

ps, There aren't  many pensioners who use a tank full of petrol a week and would save 2.50 for a litre of milk, but theres a heck of a lot of people who will soon be getting substantial tax cuts from the nice Mr Rudd. Up to 40-50 dollars a week in some cases, I understand. Now thats real help for "people who are struggling"

You will be singing Rudds praises to the rooftops!

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #212 - May 31st, 2008 at 10:55pm

Alex wrote on May 31st, 2008 at 8:44pm:
deepthought wrote on May 31st, 2008 at 7:10pm:
"

I have.  

GST can never claw back the excise reduction.  Ever.  

The GST on 33 cents will always be 3.3 cents.  Whatever else happens to fuel the price will always be 5.5 cents cheaper per litre.   GST can never take back the excise.

"GST can never claw back the excise reduction.  Ever."

Except when the base price goes up by 50 cents. The GST applies to the entire price, not just the excise component.
Example:
base price of $1.00 + 33 cents excise + 13.3 cents GST per litre
base price of $1.50 + 33 cents excise + 18.3 cents GST per litre
base price of $2.00 + 33 cents excise + 23.3 cents GST per litre

Sheesh I'm glad I decided never to hire you.

Anyway, this topic is dead to me. Evidence shows there is no problem with our rate of fuel excise and some of us know the GST applies to the entire price of petrol and will continue adding 1 extra cent for every 10 cent rise in the base price of petrol until infinity.

All in favour of the honourable Mr freediver's proposition that "Nelson's petrol tax cuts are a bad idea" say aye

AYE

ps, There aren't  many pensioners who use a tank full of petrol a week and would save 2.50 for a litre of milk, but theres a heck of a lot of people who will soon be getting substantial tax cuts from the nice Mr Rudd. Up to 40-50 dollars a week in some cases, I understand. Now thats real help for "people who are struggling"

You will be singing Rudds praises to the rooftops!

Thank God, you have finally twigged.  Now you see that the excise never rises and the GST component on the excise never rises.  You have finally caught on that the price of fuel will always be 5.5 cents lower.  The excise plus GST on the excise will always be 36.3 cents (approx) rather than 41.8 cents no matter what happens to the price of fuel.

I'm proud of you mate.  It's taken a while but you got there.  Congrats.

What was that last bit about pensioners getting an extra 40 - 50 dollars a week?  I didn't see that in the budget.

Can you provide a link please.

IP Logged

Alex

Australian Politics

Reply #213 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 12:11am

with your powers of Strawman, Ad Hominem and misrepresentation, one day you will find someone who you can persuade into something. Keep looking though cos it aint me.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #214 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 7:29am

Alex wrote on Jun 1st, 2008 at 12:11am:
with your powers of Strawman, Ad Hominem and misrepresentation, one day you will find someone who you can persuade into something. Keep looking though cos it aint me.

No children or animals were harmed in the creation of these posts, no strawmen erected, no ad hominen written.

However you forgot the link dude.  That increase those on a fixed income can expect?  Or was that another of your many strawmen?

And I'm not sure I understand why you suddenly lost faith in your own posts.  It was you who wrote the figures showing the excise (and consequent GST on the excise) never increaased no matter what happened to the price of the petrol itself.  Have you now become suspicious of your own figures?

IP Logged

Alex

Australian Politics

Reply #215 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 1:10pm

Quote:
ps, There aren't  many pensioners who use a tank full of petrol a week and would save 2.50 for a litre of milk, but theres a heck of a lot of people who will soon be getting substantial tax cuts from the nice Mr Rudd. Up to 40-50 dollars a week in some cases, I understand. Now thats real help for "people who are struggling"

If other readers think that I was saying "pensioners getting an extra 40 - 50 dollars a week" in that paragraph, please let me know.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #216 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 1:47pm

Alex wrote on Jun 1st, 2008 at 1:10pm:
Quote:
ps, There aren't  many pensioners who use a tank full of petrol a week and would save 2.50 for a litre of milk, but theres a heck of a lot of people who will soon be getting substantial tax cuts from the nice Mr Rudd. Up to 40-50 dollars a week in some cases, I understand. Now thats real help for "people who are struggling"

If other readers think that I was saying "pensioners getting an extra 40 - 50 dollars a week" in that paragraph, please let me know.

It was a strawman you built? 

Too bad about the the price of petrol for those on fixed incomes but some other people will get $40 a week so everyone should be singing Rudd's praises from the rooftops?

I'm afraid that's not how Liberal voters view society.   I would not support such an egocentric stance.

IP Logged

Alex

Australian Politics

Reply #217 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 3:03pm

So you did understand what I wrote but claimed it was something different and asked me for a link to prove what I didn't say. Misrepresentation and Strawman.

Pensioners did well out of the Budget. Up to an additional $900 a year for various allowances
Pensioners lost nothing they got last year, the pension has increased with CPI and the pension is under review. If you believe that the previous government looked after them well, and if they have lost nothing and are now receiving up to an additional 900 dollars in benefits this year, then surely you must believe they are now being looked after extra well.
Personally I would certainly support giving them another $2.50 to cover increased fuel prices but I wouldn't make them have to first spend 75 dollars to get it.

Massive tax cuts are coming up, and for the first time in years are aimed primarily at lower and middle income earners. The Liberals consistantly gave most benefit to the highest earners in their tax cuts and neglected the "struggling people" on lower incomes. They got "Work Choices" instead.

I dont intend debating you any further deepthought, I see no point.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #218 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 6:35pm

Alex wrote on Jun 1st, 2008 at 3:03pm:
So you did understand what I wrote but claimed it was something different and asked me for a link to prove what I didn't say. Misrepresentation and Strawman.

Pensioners did well out of the Budget. Up to an additional $900 a year for various allowances
Pensioners lost nothing they got last year, the pension has increased with CPI and the pension is under review. If you believe that the previous government looked after them well, and if they have lost nothing and are now receiving up to an additional 900 dollars in benefits this year, then surely you must believe they are now being looked after extra well.
Personally I would certainly support giving them another $2.50 to cover increased fuel prices but I wouldn't make them have to first spend 75 dollars to get it.

Massive tax cuts are coming up, and for the first time in years are aimed primarily at lower and middle income earners. The Liberals consistantly gave most benefit to the highest earners in their tax cuts and neglected the "struggling people" on lower incomes. They got "Work Choices" instead.

I dont intend debating you any further deepthought, I see no point.

I can see why old bean.  You have skated all over the shop, changed the goal posts from one end of the field to the other then back again, dragged in completely unrelated information, introduced logical fallacies, misrepresented the things I have said, cherry picked articles, erected numerous strawman arguments, disregarded valid logic and on the whole have had little idea of the issues at stake.

I'm not surprised you would be re-thinking your debating style.

Next time you should want to support an unsupportable policy though I'll be around mate.

Oh, incidentally, the tax cuts you are applauding?  They are a direct copy of the Liberal policy.  No wonder you love them.

Cheers.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Govt tight lipped over emissions trading
Reply #219 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 8:53pm

http://news.smh.com.au/national/govt-tight-lipped-over-emissions-trading-20080608-2ndz.html

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd says the government will await the outcome of the Garnaut report on climate change, before it decides whether it will include petrol in its emissions trading policy.

Mr Rudd has criticised the opposition for changing its stance on the issue of a carbon trading scheme, saying it contradicts the opposition's views prior to the last election.

But its feared the introduction of petrol into an emissions trading scheme would put further pressure on petrol prices.

Mr Rudd told the Ten Network shadow treasurer Malcolm Turnbull had said the Liberal party in government was committed to including petrol in the emissions trading scheme.

He said Opposition Leader Brendan Nelson was involved "in the mother of all fear campaigns" about rising petrol prices if it was included in the policy.

"But last year they said they the Liberal party were committed to emissions trading," he said.

"Last year they said they'd include petrol, last year Mr Howard said that if you act in this way, it will increase the cost of oil and the cost of energy. That was last year.

"Dr Nelson being a politician of great principle, has since forgotten what the Liberal party stood for last year."

Mr Rudd said he'll await economist Ross Garnaut's report to be handed down in September, before making a decision on whether petrol would be included.

"We'll examine the scope of the scheme," he said.

"But what we've also said is that when it comes to those families who are under financial pressure, that we'll also be providing other forms of support to cope with any impact that flows to their overall cost of living and the consequence of any such change."

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 
Send Topic Print